Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest Oneiric 3. It's great having all this data publicly but be nice if there was consistency such as both synoptic and climate stations' data being 09-09 whilst currently synoptic stations since a certain timeframe are midnight to midnight. Would usually use CSO site to resolve this as their data goes by 09-09 throughout the dataset period but the database went down on December 1st last year and still waiting for them to redesign it.

It has put me off doing my usual frequent stat posts I'm infamous for, even though I have all the time in the world now.

Just as an example, the running 7 day sunshine average total for the period 10th to 16th (for Dublin Apt) as taken from the actual daily reports for the base period 81-00 comes in at 41.5hrs, but when we calculate the running total for the same period from the Ag reports for the same station, we get 40.3hrs, and while not much of a difference, it still does show an inconsistency between various sets of data.

Dublin Apt 7 day running average sunshine total (/7) for the 1981-2010 period:

chBn11a.png

Sourced from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The biggest mystery (and annoyance) to me in meteorology is why readings are taken 0900-0900, with all rainfall being attributed to the first calendar day of that period. It could be a beautiful day and evening on Wednesday, but it buckets rain after midnight early Thursday morning and yet that rain gets put down as falling on Wednesday. Madness. I know it's to do with the human circadian cycle but feck that, get someone to take the reading at midnight (or 1 am) instead.

This is even more revealing. The graph below shows the running 7 day sunshine totals for the station (D.A) for the same base period. One data set is taken from 'Ag reports' and the other from the daily data set. Data set covers 1st to 16th of June.

0bDY7hz.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Great evening in the West !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Yet another lovely evening here in the east, eating dinner outside. I've lost count of the good days we've had in the past few weeks. What a divided country it's been weather-wise.

I know. Having another bbq this evening.. Its a Summer to remember so far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Took till the afternoon to get up to 15.3C here near Tralee.

Was up a ladder doing a job for 20 mins around 14.00 and needed long sleeve shirt, jumper and jacket with the bite in the breeze.

Wind calmed down towards evening and cool in the shade but all in all a grand day staying dry with good levels of sunshine for tipping around doing some work, wouldn't sit out long mind you.

Quite cool tonight at 8.2C

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mount Dillon 5 degrees at 11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Cool, grey and windy in Donegal all day again, almost needed a jacket when out for a walk after work. Clear skies out at the moment though and still plenty bright at 11.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭sporina

the last 2 days in Cork City have been v grand but the eve's have been beautiful.. wish I had a decent camera to have been able to get a good pic of the sky earlier - twas soo nice..

Clear skies out at the moment though and still plenty bright at 11.30pm

Indeed, just about midnight now and really only twilight out.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some light showers earlier in the day but the late afternoon/evening brought blue skies in West Clare. Lovely to see.

Bitterly cold however, didn't even get to 15°c today, with a brisk northwesterly. Even relatively cool in sheltered areas with sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

At 2am Abbeyfeale in Kerry is the coldest location I can see at 3.1c.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mount Dillon reporting 2c at 0500.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

At 4.15am in North Cork my outside thermometer was showing 2deg! All windscreens etc were iced up and motorbike display giving "ice warning" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Stunning morning once again in Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

After a lovely May in the West it has been a poor first 2 weeks in June. We have gone from low 20s and low humidity to low teens and high humidity.
    We are in that cycle now where all the showers come in.
    The East has done very well over the last couple of weeks but they had a poor May.

Im not sure of your location in the West but here in Leitrim the weather in May was muck. One or Two days were nice and that was it.
    Nearly 11 months of poor weather on the trot.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

I was in west Mayo for the second half of May and it was very sunny overall, not amazing temperatures but lots of sun on most days. I think proximity to the coast helped a lot.
    OldRio wrote: »
    Im not sure of your location in the West but here in Leitrim the weather in May was muck. One or Two days were nice and that was it.
    Nearly 11 months of poor weather on the trot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

The lack of Sun in this location has been very noticeable these past 11 months.
    Last night, for the first time in weeks, the sky cleared. From 5.00pm the sky was stunning. Beautiful evening.
    We even ate outside. Alas those opportunities don't happen to often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Stunning morning once again in Dublin..

Yep it really is unbelievable at this stage. A whole 0.8mm of rain at Dublin Airport for June so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Beautiful morning again in cork city although the breeze that’s there is fairly cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

June has been superb in Dublin, this is the best month of weather since May last year. Been out the garden pretty much every day and hardly a drop of rain to be seen. More often than not the temp has been in the 20s although i think the highest reached was 26 degrees.

Overall, i would take a June like this every year, you can see it with the pubs too as there are crowds of people queuing to drink outside every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

June has been dull and cold in the West but not overly wet at all.

In fact the stats Im taking from my weather station theres not been a day over 10mm yet only a little dropeen of rain most days.

Mean max temps for June so far (up to yesterday the 17th) at the reporting Met Eireann stations:

lUGUhB3.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Impressive mean max temp of over 20 degrees for Phoenix Park over a 17 day period.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Mean max temps for June so far (up to yesterday the 17th) at the reporting Met Eireann stations:

lUGUhB3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lovely here in Dublin 13 with long spells of unbroken sunshine and a nice breeze. Can see more cloud further inland. Cooler than last week but much prefer this personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Cork City overcast the promise of glorious sunshine not happening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

first poor day in about 3 weeks here in Meath, fully cloudy and feeling chilly. Temperature only 13C. Winter clothing back on.

Gonzo wrote: »
    first poor day in about 3 weeks here in Meath, fully cloudy and feeling chilly. Temperature only 13C. Winter clothing back on.

Smashing day in Arklow
    Wall to wall sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Level 42 wrote: »
    Cork City overcast the promise of glorious sunshine not happening

It's not overcast in my part. it's I'm currently sitting in the sun outside. It's a bit cloudy but overcast to me is full cloud. Bishopstown area. Lovely day, but not pure blue skies either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sun beginning to poke through here now but it's not really changing the fact that it's a cool day. Maybe the temperatures will rise by a few degrees in the afternoon hopefully.

Advertisement