Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭esposito

appledrop wrote: »
    See this is typical muck we can get in summer in Ireland. That's why I've been so thankfully for nice weather we have had in Dublin in June.

Hoping this July will be a better than last July, can’t be hard! Think it’s safe to say we are in for cool and showery weather for the next two weeks which will bring us up to the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Sun breaking out in Dublin and temperature has gone up.. Maybe get another evening of eating Al fresco

• Registered Users Posts: 48,155 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lovely sunny evening in south mayo !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

First day in ages that it's mostly sunny in West Clare (despite a rotten wet start), big patches of cloud but mostly sun (<70%). However, temperatures are bitterly disappointing (reached only 16°c for short time) for June and that fecking wind would cut you in two.

Nothing exciting, no good weather, no awful weather, just the same week in week out. The amount of times a shower has come out of nowhere and soaked me while cycling is enough to make you cry. I've given up reading this forum almost completely.

It's the middle of June and we've not had one actual full nice day with proper sunshine and temperatures in the 20's. Any day that's remotely nice either only lasts half the day, it's ridiculously windy, there's showers etc etc. Never by mid June have I not had one properly nice day.

I'm normally not one to complain about the weather, given that we all know the climate, but my god this is frustrating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not too bad of a day here in Meath considering temperatures have lowered alot but it still reasonably pleasant with spells of warmish sunshine, temperature currently 18c.

it should remain fairly settled till Saturday afternoon/evening with spells of sunshine and temperatures reaching 18 or 19C so not too bad between now and the first half of the weekend. This will be a good time for walks and getting more gardening done before the unsettled conditions roll in from Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    GFS shows a high of 12c on Sunday and rain pretty much all day.

Monday a max of 8c with a Northerly wind and rain. Gusts to 24mph. According to wind chill calculator in the gusts that will feel like 3.4c. Longest day of the year too haha.

And me away off on my 'staycation' Saturday, typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

Mostly cloudy today was the only time it was proper blue skies and sunbathing weather, I think there was a fine line though it you went south from Dublin though they had far more sunshine

Where are you based?

A fine line as you say.

I’m based in Dun Laoghaire and it’s been a fairly sunny June. By Irish standards at least. Good spells of sunshine most days.

However many times it’s been sunny my way the Met E hourly report for Dublin Airport has shown cloudy conditions for example.

We’ll all be fighting on here as usual come the end of the month as to whether it was a good June lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

compsys wrote: »
    Where are you based?

A fine line as you say.

I’m based in Dun Laoghaire and it’s been a fairly sunny June. By Irish standards at least. Good spells of sunshine most days.

However many times it’s been sunny my way the Met E hourly report for Dublin Airport has shown cloudy conditions for example.

We’ll all be fighting on here as usual come the end of the month as to whether it was a good June lol.

The two stations that record sunshine in Dublin are the airport and Casement. Here's how they compare this June so far to 15th and % of whole monthly 1981-2010 average in brackets. The average used for Casement was an estimate.

Dublin Apt; 81.3 hrs (47%)
    Casement; 92.3 hrs (58%)

So the airport in the north has seen basically average sunshine for this point in June given we are halfway through the month, if maybe ever so slightly under average whilst Casement in the south has seen slightly above average sunshine at the same time. Note however that Casement has a lower average than the airport.

The airport stats confirm my feelings on sunshine this June so far that it hasn't been very dull nor very sunny, distinctly average. Hasn't been any completely dull days, sunny spells most days as you say but no standout stunning warm, sunny day like say 30 May was for a recent example. Other statistics show it has been a warmer than average June as of this point and very dry.

This month reminds me of July 2019 in a way which was also warm and largely dry in the Dublin area but sunshine was pretty average. I remember people quite liking that month and me feeling indifferent about it. I wouldn't mind it now though after seeing July 2020 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

Waterford at 8. 556057.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Gonzo posting in the t120+ thread pointing to much wetter and cooler weather for the rest of the month from Sunday. That's tragic if true for all the bars and restaurants who have gone to such an effort to set up outdoor areas. No one wants to eat outside if its wet, windy and 13c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gonzo posting in the t120+ thread pointing to much wetter and cooler weather for the rest of the month from Sunday. That's tragic if true for all the bars and restaurants who have gone to such an effort to set up outdoor areas. No one wants to eat outside if its wet, windy and 13c.

Weather will be decent enough till Saturday evening and then next week is looking rather grim it has to be said, but as that was FI hopefully by this time next week we will be looking at warmer and more settled conditions as we approach the end of the month. There is definitely a shot at improving temperatures and hopefully more settled conditions into the final days of the month and 1st week of July.

GFSOPEU12_384_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If ever there was the perfect personification of average summer's day in Ireland, today was it. Average cloud amounts (pretty much as Yellowlabrador nice photo above shows) with average fleeting sunshine, average wind speed, average direction of wind, average temps and a few brief passing average showers. Yet, still one of the nicest days this season so far.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    If ever there was the perfect personification of average summer's day in Ireland, today was it. Average cloud amounts (pretty much as Yellowlabrador nice photo above shows) with average fleeting sunshine, average wind speed, average direction of wind, average temps and a few brief passing average showers. Yet, still one of the nicest days this season so far.

You've really drawn the short straw.

In Dublin so far we've had about 3mm of rain all June with a max average temp of 20º and a fair amount of sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

compsys wrote: »
    You've really drawn the short straw.

In Dublin so far we've had about 3mm of rain all June with a max average temp of 20º and a fair amount of sun.

I actually wasn't even speaking relatively there, today was a pretty ok day by any standards, and I say this because I am no fan of heat or constant sunshine either! Don't get me wrong, there is nothing like a solid sunny day (and particularly solid blue sunny mornings) in Ireland, but sunny days are at their best, for me anyway, when temps reach no more than about 20c (and I'm ok with lower) and humidity is comfortably low.

@Syran. I'll run some code tomorrow to work to calculate the daily average, for as long as those averages would run. sunshine total for the two stations you mentioned in your post. You might be surprised at how un-synced they might be with the actual data on those Ag reports, which seem to be a very 'smoothed out' representation of long term daily/7 day averages.

In fact, I might just give you the code so can work it them out yourself.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Another nice sunny morning in Dublin.. Although there is a cool breeze. Have to say this June has been great. I've managed to eat outdoors every evening so far this month.. That rarely happens

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Blue skies here in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Gonzo wrote: »
    Weather will be decent enough till Saturday evening and then next week is looking rather grim it has to be said, but as that was FI hopefully by this time next week we will be looking at warmer and more settled conditions as we approach the end of the month. There is definitely a shot at improving temperatures and hopefully more settled conditions into the final days of the month and 1st week of July.

We're going to Westport first week of July I'm really hoping and praying for good weather, nothing like the West when the sun shines! 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

After a lovely May in the West it has been a poor first 2 weeks in June. We have gone from low 20s and low humidity to low teens and high humidity.
    We are in that cycle now where all the showers come in.
    The East has done very well over the last couple of weeks but they had a poor May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Another nice sunny morning in Dublin.. Although there is a cool breeze. Have to say this June has been great. I've managed to eat outdoors every evening so far this month.. That rarely happens

Yep, beautiful morning in Dublin the sun is back for us. I agree it's been a great June in Dublin. Yesterday reminded me how crap it can be even though not that bad as no real rain, but it was dull and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭sporina

After a lovely May in the West it has been a poor first 2 weeks in June. We have gone from low 20s and low humidity to low teens and high humidity.
    The East has done very well over the last couple of weeks but they had a poor May.

had ye a nice May in the west while us down south perished? well - slight exaggeration - but it was like early winter really..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    @Syran. I'll run some code tomorrow to work to calculate the daily average, for as long as those averages would run. sunshine total for the two stations you mentioned in your post. You might be surprised at how un-synced they might be with the actual data on those Ag reports, which seem to be a very 'smoothed out' representation of long term daily/7 day averages.

In fact, I might just give you the code so can work it them out yourself.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest Oneiric 3. It's great having all this data publicly but be nice if there was consistency such as both synoptic and climate stations' data being 09-09 whilst currently synoptic stations since a certain timeframe are midnight to midnight. Would usually use CSO site to resolve this as their data goes by 09-09 throughout the dataset period but the database went down on December 1st last year and still waiting for them to redesign it.

It has put me off doing my usual frequent stat posts I'm infamous for, even though I have all the time in the world now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Only hitting 10 degrees in parts of Kerry and Mayo

very pleasant day in Meath again, good sunny spells, light winds and a temperature of 17C, a bit on the cool side but feels nice when the sun is shining.

Pretty much the opposite here in Cork.

We had a miserable May with low temperatures and some vicious showers nearly every day.

June has been lovely so far, with yet another sunny and relatively warm day today.

I didn't think May was good anywhere? Just looking at May's met eireann data and nearly every station in the country either recorded close to 100mm of rain or in some cases well in excess of 100mm. Temperatures were also generally 1.5 to 2C cooler than average for May right across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Really nice day in East Cork. Mostly sunny and very pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

I’m in the west (Galway) and can’t remember too many nice days without rain in fact I’d call may pretty much a washout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yet another lovely evening here in the east, eating dinner outside. I've lost count of the good days we've had in the past few weeks. What a divided country it's been weather-wise.

Advertisement