Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Bank of advancing cloud visible here looking west
    The suns just gone behind it on the horizon
    A shorts and T shirt Evening

Wow, looks like it was taken in a completely different country!

As one who keeps a regular eye on the weather in the US, it seems to me that there is less variation in weather types & temps etc from one end of a small to mod sized state to the other than there is in here in Ireland on a daily basis. Of course, any variation that might occur is far more extreme than here, but more broadly speaking.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Speaking of variations, the ten-day GFS rainfall prediction ranges from 90 mm near Lough Neagh in NI to about 3 mm near Limerick.

The pattern being predicted calls for disturbances along stalled fronts that will be lying in a NNW-SSE orientation from Northern Ireland to Wales and south central England. Similar large variations are shown for southern England, and normally wet Newcastle will be another relatively dry spot if this forecast actually verifies.

Have some doubts since the details could shift east or west before this rain starts falling (most of it is predicted for mid-week and beyond).

The current warmth will likely fade away after Tuesday (for Ireland) although it won't turn all that cold, nights are likely to remain fairly mild in particular, but daytime highs will be back into the teens for most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Gonzo wrote: »
    Today's max temperatures. Such a shame the cloud spoiled the day for much of Ireland away from the south and south-east. Despite all the cloud these temperatures are very decent for such a cloudy day. We would easily have reached 26 or even 27C today if we had clear blue skies from early morning.

txint_uk.png

Hopefully we will get another chance in July and August for higher temperatures and more sunshine, even if it's just for a few days. Today's temperature are very unlikely to be matched or exceeded during the rest of June.

I know you are telling it like it is but jaysus we are still in a pandemic and the thought of summer properly arriving and some good weather potentially is important. So could you ease up on the negative spin just a tad :)

It's not all about temperatures in any case, I have a suntrap garden so sunshine is important and 16 degrees and sunny would have been better than todays overcast 22 and muggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Miserable afternoon & evening in Letterkenny with thick mist and drizzle, lights needed in the house all evening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great day in Kerry, sun went in behind the clouds a few times but never lasted long and turned out mostly sunny and near calm with a light breeze in the afternoon.

Got up to 20.8C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

I know a lot of people were disappointed with lack of sun today but we still managed to have an amazing day at beach.

No don't linch me but at times when sun came out it was actually nearly too warm! It was like being in Mediterranean.

Our feet were getting burned by sand and of course I was running around plastering everyone in factor 50 as you could feel the strength in the sun.

Now usually I'd be raging aswell by lack of sun, but we spent 6 hours at beach and we just wouldn't have been able to hack that when sun was that powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

appledrop wrote: »
    Now usually I'd be raging aswell by lack of sun, but we spent 6 hours at beach and we just wouldn't have been able to hack that when sun was that powerful.

And that's precisely one of the reasons why I tend to go early and late in the day, sunrise because of the lack of people and serenity as well as sunset because of lovely warm evenings (when they do occur). Sun is not as powerful and don't need to apply the factor 50. Also the best times of day to capture with the sun at a lower horizon not causing harsh shadows.

A good sunrise can really uplift my mood for the remainder of the day and I got to realise that with the fantastic spring lockdown weather of last year when I started regularly doing it, have not looked back ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sryanbruen another bonus about times you go at is plenty of parking!

We were grand today for parkingas out so early but nearly killings in car park for our space when we were leaving in middle of afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Didn't see one cloud all day in Wexford. Great day

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Little opportunities to view sunrises or sunsets in this part of the West since June rolled in. We had a nice few hours here in Central Mayo this morning and earlier this afternoon before the familiar bank of greyness rolled in again. This evening was incredibly murky and dull like a good few others recently.
    Last Thursday and Friday afternoon had some welcome breaks of sunshine but the cloud was never too far away.
    Below a pic of the closest thing I have seen to a sunset recently as a few shafts of evening sunlight break through some of the clouds over Lough Conn last Friday eve.

attachment.php?attachmentid=555817&stc=1&d=1623626694

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Miserable afternoon & evening in Letterkenny with thick mist and drizzle, lights needed in the house all evening

Yeah around 5pm I had to put mine on. Reminded me of one of those December days that never really get bright as its raining all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bright and sunny morning in south mayo !
    Easily the best morning in over a week
    Pity I’ve to go to work :(

km79 wrote: »

Cloudy/overcast in Galway. Much fresher feeling though.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

considerably fresher here too, 8C cooler than this time yesterday. The sun is shining tho so it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Cool, grey and windy in Letterkenny. Very autumnal feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

12C in Castlebar, overcast, windy and sporadic showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Nice morning here a lot fresher than yesterday but plenty of sun and temperature about 18 degrees. Trying to soak up every ray of it before we’re back to the same old same old that passes off as “summer”.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Jumper back on for the first time in over 2 weeks, its fully cloudy here again and feels chilly outside. Currently only 13C which is cooler than most of the night time temperatures over the past week or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Where’s here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Where’s here

Dunshaughlin, Meath

Gonzo wrote: »
    Jumper back on for the first time in over 2 weeks, its fully cloudy here again and feels chilly outside. Currently only 13C which is cooler than most of the night time temperatures over the past week or more.

Had a thought that the clouds might break up here given the air mass, but not a smigin of sunshine as of yet. Seeing some small blue breaks out over towards Connemara, so maybe some sun later if they don't convectively infill.

But one thing has become clear to me this last year, is that getting sunshine in this country is nearly, or even just as hard as getting snow.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Had a thought that the clouds might break up here given the air mass, but not a smigin of sunshine as of yet. Seeing some small blue breaks out over towards Connemara, so maybe some sun later if they don't convectively infill.

But one thing has become clear to me this last year, is that getting sunshine in this country is nearly, or even just as hard as getting snow.

You're in a very poor location for sun unfortunately, even by Irish standards.

There's been a decent amount of sun in Dublin over the past three weeks.

Don't get me wrong, the sun hasn't been splitting the stones from morning to midnight but it's been OK.

Only complaint is that it's often sunny on the days it's been forecast to be cloudy and vice versa.

Anywhere with 20km or so of the Atlantic is just always going to be depressing in terms of sun unfortunately.

compsys wrote: »
    You're in a very poor location for sun unfortunately, even by Irish standards.

This I don't question, but even by this regions standards, it been a very poor run. And it isn't even just this month so far, or even last July and August which were also incredibly dull but much of this year (apart from some spells in April and May) has been as well. I recall that more than once I posted sat pics on here showing a layer of cloud lying from Derry to Kerry while the rest of the country basked. Not unusual in itself, but seems to be happening with a greater frequency than usual lately.

And the irony is, the Atlantic coastline itself tends to be, on average, sunnier than here inland during the summer months. Even on average, fair weather days, stratocumulus/cumulus will build up big time here where it wouldn't even over the Galway city region.

Anyway, not a bad day today despite the lack of sun (again). Near perfect temps and a good feeling breeze. Could be a lot worse in fairness.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Crackin day again down here in cork city. Not as hot as yesterday as there’s a gentle breeze but still a cloudless sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Windy, cool, cloudy day. Enjoy the sun whoever has it.

a fairly sunny afternoon and feeling milder compared to earlier in the day. 17C. This may be a cooler week overall but the forecast isn't too bad over the next few days, staying mostly dry and maybe more in the way of sunshine on Thursday and Friday. Good gardening weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »

Nice evening now too
    Cool but bright and only a light breeze
    Better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Cool, grey and windy in Letterkenny. Very autumnal feeling

You've the best county in Ireland when you get the weather, beaches like the Maldives and barely a soul on them. But man it's been a depressing few posts from you the last few weeks while Dublin has pretty much baked every day for what feels like a long time now.

I'm up that way in a fortnight, hopefully I bring the weather with me, for both our sakes!

Advertisement