Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

I wonder what living with a fantasist like you must be like.

Just to be clear who we're talking to, do you believe that a relationship cannot be good unless it's monogamous? Please answer this.

Here's what the DPP's report says I've highlighted the relevant things.

"As far as Colette Gallagher is concerned, she is a woman who spent a night in the Thomas/Bailey household. Bailey got into her bed and rubbed her leg. Jules Thomas then entered the room.

Bailey was annoyed.

Colette Gallagher protested her innocence.

No complaint was made to the Gardaí.

The Gardaí describe this incident as attempted rape. This description greatly overstates the case.

Carly Leftwick (Wright) has alleged that during the course of a party she went to the toilet and met Bailey in the corridor. He allegedly picked her up and said “wrap your legs around me”.

She told him to put her down, which he did at once.

The Gardaí have described this as a sexual assault.

No complaint was ever made."

Could you please tell people how old Ginny Thomas was when she made that statement and how long and from what time she was in the Garda station?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭flopisit

It's a true crime writer thing. If you check out the book "Fatal Vision" by Joe McGinniss, one of the "classics" of the genre, that's what he does and other true crime authors have sought to emulate him.

Maybe being 18 would have been reasonable would it?

"Sergeant Mary Burbage, attached to the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation, said she was involved in the arrest of Ms Thomas on September 22, 2000, and was not aggressive to her.

Under cross-examination, she said she would have waited in Ms Thomas’s bedroom while Ms Thomas got dressed. She did not consider Ms Thomas was upset or scared. She agreed that Ms Thomas’s daughter Fenella, then aged 17, was upset the previous day, September 21, 2000, when arrested about 7.30am and interviewed during a 12-hour detention.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Oh well that's ok then, as long as Jules hit him that give him free rein to beat her to a pulp. Just bizarre the length some people go to excuse violence against women.

Go google the statement Jules daughter made to the Gardai yourself. Dosent really matter though, youl come up with some other excuse in your head to absolve your idol.

Blatant lie yet again saying he 'beat her to a pulp' when she herself said she could not understand the vast exaggeration of her injuries? Are you suggesting violence against men is acceptable if it's from a woman?

• Advertisement

Being an EU diplomat and a stringer in Caracas after University in London prepares you for that does it? He doesn't appear to be much of a success on the true crime thing, at least not having enough to support all this 'research' on Bailey. A supporter of his on Twitter suggested he has been making no money from his book on this case. He's supposedly driven by a quest for justice. Isn't the man a saint?

@flopisit

Just to be clear who we're talking to, do you believe that a relationship cannot be good unless it's monogamous? Please answer this.

Even your idol admitted the beating was bad.While poor Jules did her best to try play it down. Its ok we now know your views on extreme violence against women.

Any beating of anyone is bad. I notice the poor Jules there. That's the poor woman thing isn't it, she'll put up with anything to keep her man? This is the kind of sickening faux concern we get with the likes of you, appealing to the 'Me Too' gallery with your mock outrage. Answer the question you're trying to avoid. Since Jules said she hit Ian Bailey first, is that acceptable? And furthermore how do you know that he wasn't the one living under coercive control?

The conclusion of the DPP's report doesn't really bear out what you say;

"Ian Bailey is 6′ 2″ tall and powerfully built. Sophie was 5′ 4″ tall and petite.

There is no evidence of sexual interference with her.

Bailey is in his forties. Prior to his recent conviction this year he had no previous convictions for violent crime. The recent conviction relates to an incident which is trivial by comparison with the du Plantier murder.

Sarah Limbrick, Bailey’s former wife who has known him since the 1970’s has asserted that he never used violence towards her person. When angry he would strike the wall.

She appears to loathe him as a person having endured difficult divorce proceedings and a dispute over property with him."

• Advertisement

Baileys 2001 beating of Jules was unprovoked as outlines before a court. The one you know where he was jailed for 3 months. What's your excuse for that? But don't try backtrack now, clearly you think she prob deserved it for looking at him the wrong way or something. Everyone is out to frame poor Ian, blah blah blah

Jules Thomas gave her evidence in the libel trial of 2003, if she is ok with her relationship who are you to judge?

"Ms Thomas, a Welsh-born artist, said there had been three incidents of violence with Mr Bailey. "The devil drink was the cause of it," she told Judge Patrick Moran. "It's like a temper flash," she said. "It's not something that goes on. It's always like it's two minutes and that's it."

She hit out at the way that domestic violence had been depicted. "I'm not sure why everything has to be blown out of proportion. There was a vast exaggeration of my eye," she said."

But I'm more interested in what you think of female on male violence which Jules has admitted to and how you know that Bailey wasn't living under coercive control?

Yeah there's no way Jules would play down or lie for Ian. Its just not possible. It's was all a big conspiracy involving neighbours, family, doctors, gardai and a judge to get at poor Ian.

I don't accept any violence and excuse any of it in relationships unlike you.

Not gona bother wasting anymore of my time continuing on with this discussion because it's clear you would defend your idol no matter what he did. I'll save my time for more reasonable and balanced people.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

I always wondered who took the photos of her injuries after one of the incidents when he beat her into a pulp. One of her eyes is barely open, her lip is bust and he tore a large patch of hair from her head. He's clearly a disturbed, volatile and violent person. But who took the photos and why? It doesn't look like it was in the hospital, the wounds don't look that fresh.

Didn't a guy in Cork say Ian Bailey gave him photos to develop that showed a womans body, again beaten to a pulp, but on the edge of a laneway beside a gate and briars.

"I don't accept any violence and excuse any of it in relationships unlike you." Is that a fact? You're a busy person so, because there's enough of it out there for you to be occupied 24/7. Or is it that you like to delude yourself with the idea that you're some kind of saint but in actual fact couldn't give a f*ck about what goes on around you? The only concern you have in this case is to do everything you can to stop the truth coming out.

Whatever the nature of Bailey's relationship and his history of domestic violence it should have zero implication for him in a murder but it has become almost an essential factor in his hounding for one. And that's because the people that have wanted to find him guilty of murder have zero evidence so have used everything they can find, most of it fabricated like his supposed confessions. But they have persisted because of the appalling vista of the truth being revealed. And that's what's worrying a lot of people right now. It's the reason for a certain kind of activity here and why Nick Foster is out there talking sh*te. I don't waste time on you, I'm writing to encourage decent people to speak up because we've been here many times in Ireland when authority figures want to tell us "leave it to us, we know best, don't bother yourselves with things you don't understand".

So there are photos of Jules Thomas beaten "into a pulp" and Sophie TdPlantier "beaten to a pulp"? Who's the disturbed person here?

Jules Thomas ;

"She hit out at the way that domestic violence had been depicted. "I'm not sure why everything has to be blown out of proportion. There was a vast exaggeration of my eye," she said."

I don't think I've read anything from you yet that hasn't been ridiculous.

I'm tired of this argument too, it just gets dolled out over and over.

Here's the facts. Domestic violence is wrong, we can all agree on that. Domestic violence, if it has an increasingly worsening pattern, can unfortunately leader to murder.

OF THE SPOUSE.

It is absolutely unheard of that a man who has been violent to his partner will then go out and murder a complete stranger. Please, those who think that Ian is guilty because of the episodes of violence towards Jules, find me examples of where this led to the man going out and murdering a random woman.

I'll wait.

Absolutely horrific. He should have been locked away. It shocks me that he got away with it.

You're missing my point. In fact, you're reinforcing my point.

It was his wife. It was horrendous domestic abuse.

It wasn't the murder of a complete stranger.

He had already murdered someone by that point. This artificial separation of extreme violence against a partner and extreme violence against women is bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,622 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Who did he kill and falsely imprison in Lithuania and what were his other convictions for? Seems like someone who might have been involved in organised crime.

What statistics have you got connecting instances of domestic abuse to murder of others?

How many people in West Cork area had convictions for domestic abuse?

Pointing out the weak link between domestic abuse and other crimes is not excusing violence... its pointing out your lack of understanding of crime and statistics.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

He's a convicted murderer which makes it even worse that they didn't consider his previous conviction.

Ian Bailey is not. So I don't know the point your trying to make really.

I don't think you understand at all. We're talking about one person, clearly capable of unpredictable and extreme violence using whatever implements are to hand. We don't know how many convicted murderers also carried out domestic violence, I am sure we can all agree that the rate of domestic violence reported to the police is a fraction of the domestic violence being carried out.

In a kangaroo court.

Which our good country doesn't recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,622 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We are talking about murder.

You have been asked to provide substantiation for a pattern between domestic abuse and murder of others. You seem unable to do so. Conclusion - you dont know what you are talking about.

He is so capable of extreme and unpredictable violence and yet ... wheres the incidences of violence to others in UK or here?

How many other people in West Cork have convictions for assault? Domestic abuse? With similar violence?

You are drawing a link which isnt there... ignoring all the counter examples.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I repeat ; I don't think I've read anything from you yet that hasn't been ridiculous.

Our country does recognise French courts. The French spent over a decade investigating the murder. The only reason he wasn't extradited is because the Irish courts would not prosecute someone here for a crime committed in another jurisdiction. It had nothing to do with how the investigation or court decision was reached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭flopisit

It is absolutely unheard of that a man who has been violent to his partner will then go out and murder a complete stranger. Please, those who think that Ian is guilty because of the episodes of violence towards Jules, find me examples of where this led to the man going out and murdering a random woman. I'll wait.

(Note: I think Ian is a very good suspect in this murder, I think he is very suspicious, but I don't know if he is guilty or not).

If you're asking for cases where a man murdered a woman who is a stranger to him and in his background he has a history of abusing his wife/girlfriend/other females in his life...

There are literally countless cases.

I mean, if we find a woman beaten to death by a stranger, that is the first thing we would see in the killer's background. Domestic abuse. Anger and resentment directed towards women in his life. That's what drives the stranger murder of female victims. Rage against women.

In Sophie's case, looking at it from a psychological perspective, our killer would probably have a history of violence against women, probably resent women in his life and blame them for his problems, may even be financially dependent on a woman in his life, be it a mother, wife, girlfriend. (I could go on...)

Since you asked for an example, here's a very interesting one: Paul Bernardo, a serial killer from Canada. He beat his wife (Karla Homolka) regularly and she was actually his accomplice in some of his abductions, rapes and murders. Eventually, he beat her so badly, she feared that he would kill her so she went to the police and turned him in. When she went to the police, he had beaten her so badly around the head, she didn't have black eyes, she had eyes like a raccoon. You can see pictures of it on the internet (LINK). She got off with a plea-deal for 12 years. He went to prison for.... well, he's never getting out of prison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement