Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I have to say I doubt your recollection across 26 separate events and 13 years

I'd remember if I had to get out to move a passenger car seat forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

the night of the murder was a full moon. that was a huge part of the podcast but wasn't even mentioned in the sky show. ian bailey used to be seen by neighbours howling at full moons. they obviously chalked him down as a weirdo when they saw that.

a huge part of the podcast that they never mentioned is jule's interview when she was arrested. in the garda transcript of the interview (not recorded... written up by a guard) jules says they drove to a lookout point that night and ian pointed out the flickering light in sophie's house and said something bad is going to happen to her tonight in the full moon!

jules claimed she never said that in the interview. and if it wasn't mentioned in the sky doc, I guess they must believe her.

so either
    1) it's true and ian said it
    2) the guards had no problem throwing a complete lie into an official interview to stitch up their guy

Who said he howled at the moon?

Everyone has howled at the moon at some point in their lives

It is recorded on tape that they were willing to fill in statements

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Maybe that was indeed the plan

A plan that involved chasing her outside, perhaps in view of her neighbours, hitting her repeatedly with random debris found in a laneway and then leaving it at the scene as evidence? Really?

I found this interesting, a quote from her husband:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/a-brutal-death-in-black-and-white-1.922863
    "Sophie Toscan du Plantier was not raped or sexually assaulted, Dr Harbison writes. When I interviewed Daniel Toscan du Plantier in 1999 (he died in 2003), he speculated on the motive of his wife's killer. "I can imagine it well," he said. "She could be extremely cutting. She faced someone who was probably drunk, and he made a pass at her and she rejected him in an insulting way and he went crazy. It was like her to go outside to talk to him; she wasn't afraid of anything."

As I previously theorised, I think it was most likely someone local chancing their arm with her, getting rejected and then (perhaps drunkenly) attacking her in anger.

Who said he howled at the moon?

Everyone has howled at the moon at some point in their lives

It is recorded on tape that they were willing to fill in statements

It's also not in dispute that Bailey's recollection of his movements on the night in question improved at an incredible rate once he was told Jules now contradicted his earlier statement that he was in bed all night!

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    I'd remember if I had to get out to move a passenger car seat forward.

Do you have super short arms and feet, how far back do you think the seat would be going

, how many times do you think the taller person would be driving on holidays and do you really think the hire company is resetting the seats

Again, it's a strange thing to be filling your mind with over all these years

Did you ever rent from cork airport

• Advertisement

A plan that involved chasing her outside, perhaps in view of her neighbours, hitting her repeatedly with random debris found in a laneway and then leaving it at the scene as evidence? Really?

As I previously theorised, I think it was most likely someone local chancing their arm with her, getting rejected and then (perhaps drunkenly) attacking her in anger.

Personally, to speculate wildly, I reckon it was someone who was infatuated with her over a long period of time. If it was a chancer who wanted to have sex purely for their own gratification the lack of any signs of sexual assault is strange. IMO this person wanted a relationship and had convinced themselves that Sophie wanted them too. He probably thought he was in love with her and her rejection cut them down. Total psycho whoever it was.

There wasn't a murder there in say 60 years, were they waiting for that one moment of rejection

Do you have super short arms and feet, how far back do you think the seat would be going

, how many times do you think the taller person would be driving on holidays and do you really think the hire company is resetting the seats

Again, it's a strange thing to be filling your mind with over all these years

Did you ever rent from cork airport

What are you talking about? It's really simple, I have never had to walk around to the passenger side of a hire car to adjust the seat, it's invariably within reach. I'm not storing the position of the seat! The file with 'occasions I moved rental car passenger seats' returns a 404, that's all there is to it. Strange thought process you are going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Was this deceased Randy Garda ever named?

This article bsck in April said there were 3 new suspects uncovered in the sky documentary, guess a lot changed in it before it went out

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/three-new-suspects-murder-sophie-23950293.amp

There wasn't a murder there in say 60 years, were they waiting for that one moment of rejection

It didn't have to be a raging serial killer, just someone who drunkenly went too far one night. Plenty of people just snap once and do things in the heat of the moment they would never ordinarily do in a million years. Or maybe they do have violent tendencies, but have just never killed before - who knows?

I just wish whoever it was had enough of a conscience to own up and give her family some closure. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. They've gotten away with it this long, unlikely they'll ever do the right thing. In fact, they're probably getting a thrill out of the fact the Guards have fitted up someone else entirely and the French courts have convicted him in abstentia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This one time, while picking up a rental at Prestwick Airport (Avis gold card member here) I noted that the passenger seat of the tan colored Mondeo was set-back and "The Best of Roxy Music" was still in the tape deck. A cold shiver ran down my spine and I turns to me wife and I says to her: "There's been a murder."

Put it to the back of my mind and we had lovely holiday in the end.

What are you talking about? It's really simple, I have never had to walk around to the passenger side of a hire car to adjust the seat, it's invariably within reach. I'm not storing the position of the seat! The file with 'occasions I moved rental car passenger seats' returns a 404, that's all there is to it. Strange thought process you are going through.

Its nowhere as near as you as you saying you remember all this and somehow have super short arms unable to reach a car seat a short distance away

I mean I have always had to adjust forward backward etc seats in rented cars over the years based on who sat there last

I mean I can easily reach the passenger seat in any car not to mind a fiesta in any position

I'm more worried about how you drive with such short arms

So it's an odd thing to be fixated on

It didn't have to be a raging serial killer, just someone who drunkenly went too far one night. Plenty of people just snap once and do things in the heat of the moment they would never ordinarily do in a million years. Or maybe they do have violent tendencies, but have just never killed before - who knows?

I just wish whoever it was had enough of a conscience to own up and give her family some closure. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. They've gotten away with it this long, unlikely they'll ever do the right thing. In fact, they're probably getting a thrill out of the fact the Guards have fitted up someone else entirely and the French courts have convicted him in abstentia.

It really is pretty rare for this to happen

I mean exceptionally rare in ireland

Thankfully so.

Yurt! wrote: »
    This one time, while picking up a rental at Prestwick Airport (Avis gold card member here) I noted that the passenger seat of the tan colored Mondeo was set-back and "The Best of Roxy Music" was still in the tape deck. A cold shiver ran down my spine and I turns to me wife and I says to her: "There's been a murder."

Put it to the back of my mind and we had lovely holiday in the end.

I'm glad this off-shoot has provoked the imagination towards such a delightful story, rich with delicate and delicious details. I can almost hear those taped saxophones.

Its nowhere as near as you as you saying you remember all this and somehow have super short arms unable to reach a car seat a short distance away

I mean I have always had to adjust forward backward etc seats in rented cars over the years based on who sat there last

I mean I can easily reach the passenger seat in any car not to mind a fiesta in any position

I'm more worried about how you drive with such short arms

So it's an odd thing to be fixated on

Strange posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,784 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wasn't Raonaid Murray murdered in a frenzied attack by someone known to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nonsheep7

Clandestine affairs are at the heart (excuse the pun ) of the matter ,high profile local figure with MF on the bridge and high profile 'visitor' (Bantry high ranking Garda) to Sophie trying it on ,,,,legend has it,,,,, say no more..

I'm glad this off-shoot has provoked the imagination towards such a delightful story, rich with delicate and delicious details. I can almost hear those taped saxophones.

Why were you not called as an expert witness in car rental seat positioning by the frogs?

I mean Bailey was tall right

listermint wrote: »

How long ago was that and we don't know who killed her

Even in dublin, evenr random attacks are so rare thankfully

• Advertisement

Why were you not called as an expert witness in car rental seat positioning by the frogs.

This seems to have perplexed you far more than I was expecting!

nonsheep7 wrote: »
    Clandestine affairs are at the heart (excuse the pun ) of the matter ,high profile local figure with MF on the bridge and high profile 'visitor' (Bantry high ranking Garda) to Sophie trying it on ,,,,legend has it,,,,, say no more..

Ah here, don't leave us hanging like that. Giz a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Why were you not called as an expert witness in car rental seat positioning by the frogs?

every post you make is dripping in snark

This seems to have perplexed you far more than I was expecting!

It is baffling

Anyway let's not hang out hats on your experiences, we'd have to do a study on the matter to get conclusion results

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Can someone link the West Cork podcast? Cannot find it on Spotify

How long ago was that and we don't know who killed her

Even in dublin, evenr random attacks are so rare thankfully

Point is, it happens. And murder is mostly commited by someone who knows the victim and is known by the victim.

Neither of these events where random attacks .

nonsheep7 wrote: »

If the gardai were trying to frame Bailey, knowing he was actually innocent, why would they risk bribing some chancer to try and coax a confession or unknown details out of him?

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Can someone link the West Cork podcast? Cannot find it on Spotify

It's an Audible original and also on Apple Podcasts. Don't think you'll find it on Spotify.

Yurt! wrote: »
    It's an Audible original and also on Apple Podcasts. Don't think you'll find it on Spotify.

It's available on Google Podcasts afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭Xander10

listermint wrote: »

Bizarre comment, given no one has ever been convicted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement