Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shows that have aged well

Options

Comments

Robin Of Sherwood, at least the first two series with Michael Praed. Rewatched it on ITV4 recently, it really holds up well. Far better than the hokey Kevin Costner movie from a few years later.

Except for the 80s blow dried hairstyle.

I’d add the 1980’s Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett.

We need to define the criteria of back in the day. Somebody mentioned Silicon Valley (final episode Dec 2019) as holding up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Early seasons of Only Fools and Horses.
    Blackadder.
    I would have included Fr Ted but for RTE thrashing it leading to Ted fatigue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fvp4 wrote: »
    Very much this. Pretty much the Sherlock Holmes production for me(of the original based on the actual books kind).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Life on mars

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

glasso wrote: »
    Life on mars

I saw a packet of Garilbaldi biscuits in the shops today and it made me think of Gene Hunt.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

JackTC wrote: »
    A P.C version of Entourage would be fairly boring.

Big time, in the same category as Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder.

I must give Entourage another watch though, I've already covered it twice from start to finish. The half hour episodes suit it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The West Wing - Didn't catch it the first time around but had always intended to watch it so I started it last year. Made it halfway through the second season and gave up, I thought it aged terribly, I couldn't believe how simplistic the storyline was. A massive disappointment ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

The Bill especially from the first few series of the half hour era 1988-93.

A bit lo tech by today's standards of course but some magnificent episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

fvp4 wrote: »
    Except for the 80s blow dried hairstyle.

We need to define the criteria of back in the day. Somebody mentioned Silicon Valley (final episode Dec 2019) as holding up well.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Very much this. Pretty much the Sherlock Holmes production for me(of the original based on the actual books kind).

The return of Sherlock Holmes is on Vigin Media 2 (I think) saw it this evening

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

The wire as a show itself definitely stands the test of time but the jump I technology from then to now leaves it down a little bit.......... quite a bit of that if I recall correctly a good chunk of one season is how to deal with burner phones...... still my favourite show mind

I am rewatching scrubs along with Braff and Fashion's Podcast and I agree with the OP...... its a great shout. I'm towards the end of season 4 now so its the beginning of the decline but the first 100 or so episodes and the ending is amazing,

On that note if you can cherry pick episodes I still think seasons 2-11 of the Simpsons is the best comedy television ever made. I would happily still watch any episode from that era..... young fella is turning 9 now so can't wait to start watching it with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont know if you need to have grown up with them but I rewated Dempsey and Makepeace last year and it was perfectly watchable . I wonder what shows like Cagney and Lacey or Hillstreet Blues would be like now?
    Going back further The Professionals from the 70's might be dated in some ways but is rewatchable

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

silverharp wrote: »
    I dont know if you need to have grown up with them but I rewated Dempsey and Makepeace last year and it was perfectly watchable . I wonder what shows like Cagney and Lacey or Hillstreet Blues would be like now?
    Going back further The Professionals from the 70's might be dated in some ways but is rewatchable

The Professionals stands up well in that all the car stunts and a lot of the fights were well done, the streets of London looking littered and bleak and a certain nihilism of Bodie and Doyle and Gordon Jackson's Cowley is a great character, Dempsey and Makepeace on the other hand is wafer thin plot leading up to the next setpiece stunt, Dialogue wise Minder and The Sweeney would be better written and John Thaw's Regan is the original hard-drinking self destructive cop

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A lot of the shows mentioned on the thread are merely 20 years old which I don't really consider that to be "aged" in any way.

But, I've just got through the 6 series of 'The Rockford Files', made from 1974 to 1980 and they are still an excellent watch. I remember them from late night re-runs when I was a kid in the 80's, but to me they were boring shows with an "old" guy detective who lived with some other old guy in a caravan and there was far too much talking. He had a great car though. What was it about 70's/80's detective shows and cars?

Actually sitting down to watch the show obviously yields a better understanding of what made it tick. It's helped no end by James Garner's charming turn as Jim Rockford, an all round nice guy who carves out a living as a private dick, charging "$200 a day + expenses" for his services but rarely getting it. Noah Beery Jr. played his dad, Joseph Rockford (or Rocky) and was another great TV personality. Always trying to look out for his boy, who he constantly worries about, Rocky was a nice old geezer with a charming innocence and desire to try and do the right thing by everyone. Jim had spent some time in San Quentin where he met up with some of the recurring characters, like Angel Martin, a cowardly little runt that would sell his mother for a piece of the action. He was played over the entire show by the brilliant Stewart Margolin. Rockford was also a veteran of the Korean War, where he met up with his buddy in the LAPD, Dennis Becker (Joe Santos). Poor old Dennis, week in week out, had to do much of the leg work on Rockford's cases, such as running licence plate checks and other cop procedures, much to the anger of his bosses.

It's funny watching 'The Rockford Files' nowadays, as you can see many of the future faces that would pop in the years to come as well as many of the stars of the past. Tom Selleck was a guest star on a couple and his own show, 'Magnum P.I.' would be made by the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

House of Cards. Anyone who thinks The West Wing is a bit twee will like it.

The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie have a sort of timeless charm to them.

silverharp wrote: »
    C and L is kind of funny looking at it now. The ladies keep their guns in their handbags and chase down criminals on foot in long skirts with said handbags slung over their shoulders :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭dasdog

The Professionals stands up well in that all the car stunts and a lot of the fights were well done, the streets of London looking littered and bleak and a certain nihilism of Bodie and Doyle and Gordon Jackson's Cowley is a great character, Dempsey and Makepeace on the other hand is wafer thin plot leading up to the next setpiece stunt, Dialogue wise Minder and The Sweeney would be better written and John Thaw's Regan is the original hard-drinking self destructive cop

That's Detective Inspector Jack Regan son :pac: I think he was thirty three when series one was shot - he looked about twenty years older probably due to his own drinking and smoking habits. A really good series with only a handful of bad episodes.

The Professionals can be a bit over the top but it has some good plots and Gordon Jackson is magnificent in it.

I watched Miami Vice back a few years ago and the first two series although having a repeated theme of drug smuggling are surprisingly good. Although It falls off a cliff during season three to unwatchable levels.

Another one which was a childhood favourite for many - The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams. It's simplistic but quite heartwarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Law and order is aging well

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yes minister and yes prime minister are frighteningly accurate given they were made in the 1970s and 1980s about things today.

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Law and order is aging well
    The earlier ones yes. It started to go slightly downhill for me after Jerry Orbach left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I am rewatching scrubs along with Braff and Fashion's Podcast and I agree with the OP...... its a great shout. I'm towards the end of season 4 now so its the beginning of the decline but the first 100 or so episodes and the ending is amazing,

Just finished rewatching on Disney +. Still a great show, with so many funny moments. The episode with Colin Farrell is brilliant. Even the Med School season was funnier than I remembered from the first time watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

JDigweed wrote: »
    Just finished watching the Sopranos again, still stands the test of time.

Absolutely, 100%. Timeless (apart from the tech).

Watced a few episodes of Sliders lately.
    It is still good fun and the special effects have held up quite well.

Malcolm in the Middle

Myself and the girlfriend have been rewatching it, all the episodes are free on All4

It’s absolutely hilarious, Bryan Cranston is brilliant as Hal. If anything going back and watching after seeing Breaking Bad makes you even more appreciative of the man’s range as an actor.

Malcolm in the Middle

Myself and the girlfriend have been rewatching it, all the episodes are free on All4

It’s absolutely hilarious, Bryan Cranston is brilliant as Hal. If anything going back and watching after seeing Breaking Bad makes you even more appreciative of the man’s range as an actor.
    Some very clever writers on that show, the humour is head and shoulders above most sitcoms today.
    I noticed on 4Music they are cutting anything untoward out of episodes.
    Would they be showing them uncut on All4?

Some very clever writers on that show, the humour is head and shoulders above most sitcoms today.
    I noticed on 4Music they are cutting anything untoward out of episodes.

Would they be showing them uncut on All4?

As far as I know they’re uncut? Can’t say I’ve noticed much missing

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'll watch the Professionals or the Sweeney over lunch when working from home. Both very dated, particularly in misogynistic and racist attitudes, but still 'comfort viewing' for me. I'm not sure I could they've aged well, but both of their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Already mentioned-But two and a half men (until Charlie leaves) remains super funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I'll watch the Professionals or the Sweeney over lunch when working from home. Both very dated, particularly in misogynistic and racist attitudes, but still 'comfort viewing' for me. I'm not sure I could they've aged well, but both of their time.

You are watching the heavily edited versions, was much more violent when first shown, as for the attitudes even early 00s stuff has that,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You are watching the heavily edited versions, was much more violent when first shown, as for the attitudes even early 00s stuff has that,

Are you sure it has been edited for ITV4?

Lots of gritty punch ups on the Sweeney in particular, and one recent professionals episode ended with Bodie and a former colleague knocking seven kinds of sh1te out of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

The shield

Advertisement