Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shows that have aged well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

House MD the show was great still worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Futurama

Bender Zoidberg Zapp Branigan and The Hedonism Bot still crack me up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

jonon9 wrote: »
    I still find Magnum Pi entertaining to watch I love the love hate relationship between Magnum and Higgins

The original I am guessing. At least the reboot kept the music

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

The original I am guessing. At least the reboot kept the music

Red dwarf.
    30Rock

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The_Dave wrote: »
    Perhaps not visually, but the humour from some UK sitcoms is still relevant. Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister still hilarious (to me at least)

Have to agree with Only Fools and Horses. It's simple humour but it gets me every time even after I've seen most of the episode a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Blackadder.
    The style of humour is still great and the jokes still hit the mark. Timeless comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Shield.. still as good now as ever. I watch it all through again every year or so

Scrubs and DS9 as already said. I'd add SG1 and Atlantis too. Just great characters and chemistry between the actors in both

Two and a Half Men until Charlie exits, although by then it was dying anyway. Still very funny IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cool Hand Lucy

The West Wing

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The Shield.. still as good now as ever. I watch it all through again every year or so

Scrubs and DS9 as already said. I'd add SG1 and Atlantis too. Just great characters and chemistry between the actors in both

Two and a Half Men until Charlie exits, although by then it was dying anyway. Still very funny IMO

The big fall down, for me, with SG1 is that the Goa'uld always just planked their statgates in lightly/non defended fields within easy strike range of their mega important base.
    Atlantis didn't suffer from it as wraith weren't base builders

It was a visible error in the day, nowadays it's criminal oversight

Firefly is as quirky as always, you can see so much taken from it in The Mandalorian (so just taking it back from Firefly lifting from Star Wars)

It, for once, benefits from a single season in this regard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

First two season of prison break still holds up for me. The later series start to get a bit rudderless and far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

I’m going to exclude period drama and sci-fi as I just think it’s easier for them. There are many fabulous tv shows in these categories I’ve watched again and again: Pride and Predjudice with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth, Downton Abbey, Miss Marple, Farscape, Buffy, Angel, Red Dwarf (the original run), Quantum Leap

So excluding period dramas and sci-fi my list would include in no particular order:
    - House
    - Monty Python
    - Father Ted
    - Twin Peaks (the original run)
    - The Wire

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The big fall down, for me, with SG1 is that the Goa'uld always just planked their statgates in lightly/non defended fields within easy strike range of their mega important base.
    Atlantis didn't suffer from it as wraith weren't base builders

It was a visible error in the day, nowadays it's criminal oversight

I think the theory probably was that until SG1, there wasn't really any resistance or threat to the Goa'uld anyway. Plus the arrogance of the System Lords that the Tau'ri weren't a serious threat anyway.

Plus I assume the gates were originally located there by the Ancients. I can't remember if it was clear if the Goa'uld (aside from Ba'al and probably Anubis) knew much about them anyway. Maybe they thought they couldn't move them or something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Rikand wrote: »
    Murder She Wrote - Still looks brilliant and always watchable. All seasons brilliant except for the one where she narrates her stories and its her characters solving the crimes. That series sucked. Jessica is timeless!

Caught an episode of this yesterday
    . Guy who played Seth played a guy who killed someone in the first series.

It's a really silly show but it's easy to see why people still watch it.

Anyway, Alan Partridge and fast show are still as funny as they were 25 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Only fools and horses, Father Ted, Seinfeld ,Curb your enthusiasm, the wonder years and Quantum leap..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The Wire is untouchable. I rewatch it often and just marvel at the realism, the complexity, the acting and for characterization of even minor characters. It’s more than just a tv show.

Cracker is amazing tv. Far ahead of the normal British detective series’s.

As someone already said the Simpsons was the **** in the 90s.

The Sopranos is very watchable.

Love/hate at the end of series 2 and the whole of series 3 was better than almost all tv out there.

Personally I’m fussy so most of the modern tv that gets acclaimed doesn’t do it for me. True detective series one and Chernobyl being the most notable exceptions.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I think the theory probably was that until SG1, there wasn't really any resistance or threat to the Goa'uld anyway. Plus the arrogance of the System Lords that the Tau'ri weren't a serious threat anyway.

Plus I assume the gates were originally located there by the Ancients. I can't remember if it was clear if the Goa'uld (aside from Ba'al and probably Anubis) knew much about them anyway. Maybe they thought they couldn't move them or something?

I heard that and I agreed with it for a bit until I realised that the Goa'uld were constantly at war with each other. No way one of them didn't invade through one. Hell, that is the opening scene in SG1

The only reasoning I can see would be that they would not bing it into a base, in case a bomb was chucked through, but would at least expect major fortification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Which stole from Babylon 5 which also did it better and it also holds up well today.

Liar!

Firefly is as quirky as always, you can see so much taken from it in The Mandalorian (so just taking it back from Firefly lifting from Star Wars)

One series! Ridiculous. At least we got Serenity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The ones I really liked are

The Wire
    The Office ‘ an american workplace’
    How I Met Your Mother
    My Name is Earl
    Serenity
    Community
    Silicon Valley
    Lost

Really like Father Ted but I think that has not aged well

Not much of the stuff above would get made these days.

One I’d like to re with is Entourage. Listening to their podcast. That defo wouldn’t get made now.

• Advertisement

Really liked spaced. That in-between college adulthood vibe I enjoyed. I'd still watch and like it in reminiscence way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think more grounded series usually hold up, especially the more gritty ones. Like watched a few episodes of The (original) Equalizer recently and I see Forces TV is now showing Midnight Caller so tempted to watch that and see how it is these days.
    I think shows with bigger names would suffer from just knowing how they look now. Like watching ER and just seeing George Clooney and trying not to compare to how he looks today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Reminded me of the Farscape bit of SG1 episode 200 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Airwolf

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Friends, I still get laughs from the repeats

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I started watching ER a few months back and am up to season 12 now. It still holds up and has some very tense episodes. I can see the quality slipping in the current season, but recall it being that way as a lot of the major leads went their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

The X files is still entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hill Street Blues for the humour, writing and ensemble cast. Even the slightly outdated visuals are no worse than some stuff these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Robin Of Sherwood, at least the first two series with Michael Praed. Rewatched it on ITV4 recently, it really holds up well. Far better than the hokey Kevin Costner movie from a few years later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

godtabh wrote: »

One I’d like to re with is Entourage. Listening to their podcast. That defo wouldn’t get made now.

A P.C version of Entourage would be fairly boring.

Advertisement