Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shows that have aged well

Options
  • 08-05-2021 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

So a recent discussion with some friends brought this one up, just the variance of shows that used to be hugely popular, but for one reason or another just haven't aged very well with time.

For me, I'd have to say the show Scrubs is a fantastic example of a show that has aged well (ignoring season 9), and is relatively timeless. It ran for 9 years overall and had some truly amazing writing, great casting and possibly some of the saddest moments on TV.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Having recently watched it again from the start, for the first time in years, the Battlestar reboot remains phenomenal in every way. Even the early 2000s CGI holds up pretty well.

(Conversely, to immediately deviate from the thread OP, I could see something like the West Wing coming off positively quaint after years of fake news and populist politics)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the IT Crowd , didnt really watch it when it was out first

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So a recent discussion with some friends brought this one up, just the variance of shows that used to be hugely popular, but for one reason or another just haven't aged very well with time.

For me, I'd have to say the show Scrubs is a fantastic example of a show that has aged well (ignoring season 9), and is relatively timeless. It ran for 9 years overall and had some truly amazing writing, great casting and possibly some of the saddest moments on TV.

The Paramedic with the photo of her kid gets me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

Just finished watching the Sopranos again, still stands the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Re watched it recently and the acting and story telling is so good that I don't think it even matters of you don't like sci-fi.

It did serialized plot before game of thrones too.

@Sonics2k I also watched Scrubs last week after many years. It still has it alright. Really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've been watching The West Wing for the first time having not seen it in its original run. I find it enjoyable, but it's so surreal watching this in light of what the Trump administration did to the reputation of the office.

The characters on the show speak about the institutions with a deference and a respect that just hasn't aged well in light of what we've experienced the last few years.

I wish I had watched when it originally aired as watching it now feels a bit like observing the Wizard of Oz after the curtain has been pulled away.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Re watched it recently and the acting and story telling is so good that I don't think it even matters of you don't like sci-fi.

It did serialized plot before game of thrones too.

@Sonics2k I also watched Scrubs last week after many years. It still has it alright. Really enjoyed it.

Which stole from Babylon 5 which also did it better and it also holds up well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

I've been watching The West Wing for the first time having not seen it in its original run. I find it enjoyable, but it's so surreal watching this in light of what the Trump administration did to the reputation of the office.

The characters on the show speak about the institutions with a deference and a respect that just hasn't aged well in light of what we've experienced the last few years.

I wish I had watched when it originally aired as watching it now feels a bit like observing the Wizard of Oz after the curtain has been pulled away.

Give it a few months and watch it again. One of the few shows that gets better with each watch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Land of the Giants

Not an obvious one compared to some of the others mentioned here, but one I revisit every few years and even though it's a much older show and you know its dated, it never really feels dated, as theres a timelessness to the stories they tell.

For a formulaic adventure-of-the-week type show that can appeal to all ages it does the job and it does it well, with likeable characters. It was an ambitious show and ahead of its time in the '60s in terms of production, and I'd still be more inclined to recommend it than most modern television.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Babylon 5 Re watched it recently and the acting and story telling is so good that I don't think it even matters of you don't like sci-fi.

It did serialized plot before Star Trek: Deep Space Nine too.
    FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ElJaguar

+1 for the Sopranos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭HBC08

Oz

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Frasier seasons 1-6 still miles better than anything made since.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

Perhaps not visually, but the humour from some UK sitcoms is still relevant. Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister still hilarious (to me at least)

FYP

There were plenty of serialised tv shows before either of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Jed Bartlett, probably the best President America never had.

There’s a YouTube clip “Bartlett quotes scripture” which for me is one of the best scenes in the entire show.

The_Dave wrote: »
    Perhaps not visually, but the humour from some UK sitcoms is still relevant. Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister still hilarious (to me at least)

I never once got a half smile from only fools and horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Stratvs wrote: »
    Jed Bartlett, probably the best President America never had.

There’s a YouTube clip “Bartlett quotes scripture” which for me is one of the best scenes in the entire show.

That's the first episode & a brilliant introduction to him.

On season four & absolutely love this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I've found the thing that ages a show most (apart from outdated attitudes) is when they're not "set" in a period & the technology used while cutting edge at the time of broadcast, has been positively outdated by now, flip phones, digital cameras, old beige box computers etc.

OU812 wrote: »
    I've found the thing that ages a show most (apart from outdated attitudes) is when they're not "set" in a period & the technology used while cutting edge at the time of broadcast, has been positively outdated by now, flip phones, digital cameras, old beige box computers etc.

They can’t help that. It’s the ones that try to guess the near future. I particularly hate the last season of parks n recs for that. It’s set in their future which was 2017, but it’s was filmed in 2015. The mobile phones are see through to indicate the future.

(In fact I hate the see through electronics idea anyway. Not ever possible.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I'm on my first watch as well. Whenever the characters are worried about some scandal I want to tell them it doesn't matter. You can say whatever you want and still win

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

M.A.S.H.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Sonics2k wrote: »

I loved the first season of Scrubs.

I found that after season 2 or 3 it ran out of steam and the silly gags became a bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Murder She Wrote - Still looks brilliant and always watchable. All seasons brilliant except for the one where she narrates her stories and its her characters solving the crimes. That series sucked. Jessica is timeless!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fvp4 wrote: »
    There were plenty of serialised tv shows before either of those.
    Not many of those were about a new commander arriving at a space station beside a transit point and featured multiple plot arcs and a major interstellar war. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Simpsons seasons 1-9 or so are still fantastic when you watch them now. The first few episodes do throw you a bit (pre voice and animation change ones) but once the familiar style sets in its episode after episode of quality.

Which stole from Babylon 5 which also did it better and it also holds up well today.

The story of B5 bolds up, but it's often the only thing.

Outside main cast (usually) the support acting is more wooden than the sets and the CGI was overly ambitious, for its time.
    No way you are getting too many new people to look past the low production values.

PS: And I am a fan.

Invader Zim.

A bit before its time. Had it been released in recent years it'd have been a smash. .

Not many of those were about a new commander arriving at a space station beside a transit point and featured multiple plot arcs and a major interstellar war. :)

You probably need to expand your viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I still find Magnum Pi entertaining to watch I love the love hate relationship between Magnum and Higgins

Advertisement