Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 people celebrate a wedding in Longford.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mgn wrote: »
    We have a Garda Public Order Unit trained to deal with situations like this, why were the not send in, the had plenty of notice.

If the are afraid of them, time to get a new job.

Maybe if enough of the wedding party caught covid, the problem would sort itself out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

How is this racist thread still going?

The after party is still going too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

celt262 wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't want to end up on the ruin a wedding thread on boards

I think if the thread headline begin with.

Garda close down wedding reception with 120 arrests.

The majority of people would be happier with that result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Be right back

Not racist, just fairly realistic, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Possibly because people (like you?) keep posting on it. Stop posting and it will go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Nice to have you back teacher.

Missed your input, still all racist here, no one converted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Has there been any explanation from the football club who I assume permitted the marquee to be erected on their land? I've not heard a sausage about this aspect of this appalling carry on.

Already video footage doing the rounds on social media of the event in full swing. Not alone did this shower put their numerous two fingers up to those adhering to the law, their arrogance and contempt on full view via social media, I'm sure their proud of themselves.

It's a council owned pitch and their main tenants are Longford Wanderers F.C. The club was set up for travellers and they compose the majority of players. Know some of them involved in the club and they aren't the worst of this lot.

The dressing rooms were famous in Longford for the length of time they took to build. Every time building supplies were delivered, they mysteriously disappeared. After years of this, the council had to hire 24 hour security to watch the site before it eventually got finished.

If anyone wants to feel further annoyed at this event go to the Longford Leader Facebook page on the article and check out the comments under the Updated article from 5 hours back...

https://m.facebook.com/LongfordLeader/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

White Irish travellers are not a different race.

Even if they were, its irrelevant, those who carried on with that gathering last night are criminals and pariahs of Irish society.

And now, just as you will have to yourself, the apologists for criminal behaviour, those in Pavee Point and other traveller advocacy groups will just have to start dealing with the cold hard facts. Not false ethnicity arguments, not whataboutery, not excuses. Just the facts.

What an inconvenient truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

I haven't read the whole thread and maybe this has been covered already, but the following paragraph from the Indo says it all:

Attempts, it is understood, were made by both the council and gardai to enter into talks with both families and the marquee owner on Tuesday to refrain from proceeding with the planned event, but it is understood those attempts ended in failure.

I can understand that the Gardai were put in a very difficult position and were understandably reluctant to escalate things beyond a certain point, but surely those responsible for organising and facilitating what happened must be open to prosecution?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

tom1ie wrote: »
    An absolute scandal while the majority of the law abiding citizens put up with lockdown.
    Pavee point should have questions to answer on this. Preferably on a live talk show where the spokesperson can be grilled about the complete lack of respect for the law the people they represent seem to have.
    TBH I think pavee point can't really do anything about some traveller's behaviour, yes they need to come out and condem this sort of crap each time it occurs but let's be relastic travellers won't change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

Panrich wrote: »
    No thought whatsoever about all the guests who had to ask for a day off work.

ALWAYS a first for everything I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just today, Pavee Point were calling for Travellers to be prioritised for Covid 19 Vaccines because the number of cases doubled in a week within their community.

All the rights wanted, none of the responsibilities.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/new-reported-covid-19-outbreaks-in-traveller-community-double-in-a-week-1.4556158

Lol bad timing to publish that around the same time as this story came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The football stadium looks a bit like the one that Real Madrid have been playing in recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

“It is a perfect storm for Covid,” she said. “It is very hard to follow the Covid-19 health guidelines. If you have bigger families and smaller spaces, how can you socially distance?”

You don't mix with people from other families .It's been a year. It's not new information

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Could the Garda not have pulled the plug? No power no lights no music etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

thegills wrote: »

Easily , if they had the guts and the political backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Just listened to Martin Collins on newstalk breakfast podcast from today

He was unconditional in his comments on the Longford wedding, he made no excuses

More of this pavee point

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Why do they deserve to jump the queue over anyone else?

Officially vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

is the party still in full swing?.a good aul sing song being had no doubt.
    do traveller weddings attend a bbq after the main day?

how many are dead from covid now whats the total? ah sure who gives a **** we had a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mad_maxx wrote: »

He was unconditional in his comments on the Longford wedding, he made no excuses

More of this pavee point

That'll tell them, like they care what PP comes out with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

More of this pavee point

He's been bleating on for years and this is probably the first time he has spoken against a group of travellers.

One swallow has never made a summer.

On the other hand, yes it's a breach, yes it's two fingers to decent people, but does the rag Indo really need to have it top story since yesterday.

Imagine paying a subscription to read such gutter journalism

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

More of this pavee point

They have been doing this a lot. Same with the funeral in Carrick.

I feel a bit sorry for Martin Collins. There are some real, genuine issues impacting the travelers but he can never get that message out because so many of them do sh*t like this and that's all the media are interested in.

Strong words from the Judge.

Judge Johnson said he wanted to hear from each of the respective parties involved as to why the event proceeded just hours after an emergency circuit court injunction was granted to remove a 2,000 sq ft marquee which had been erected 24 hours previously.

“The dogs on the street knew that this was a complete breach of all public health regulations,” he said.

“It’s outrageous, absolutely scandalous. Not alone have they defied the public health regulations, they have flagrantly defied a specific court order.”

Judge Johnson said the events of last night and the contempt shown by both the organisers and attendees in defying a court-imposed order was akin to a “law of chaos” in view of present Covid-19 health guidelines.

https://www.thejournal.ie/longford-wedding-party-courts-5430439-May2021/

“ Judge Johnson said he was prepared to hold a special court sitting in Longford on Monday, ordering the bride and groom, their parents, the marquee owner and caterers to attend.

“My primary concern is there has been a complete and absolute breach of the injunction that was made by this court and people have to be made to account for that otherwise court orders lose their validity,” he said.

“It sets a terrible precedent that injunctions can be granted and yet people choose to ignore them.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is just bull. When you have large number of people like this it is very hard to control its better to contain and follow up after with fines etc

Water cannon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

cisk wrote: »
    “ Judge Johnson said he was prepared to hold a special court sitting in Longford on Monday, ordering the bride and groom, their parents, the marquee owner and caterers to attend.

“My primary concern is there has been a complete and absolute breach of the injunction that was made by this court and people have to be made to account for that otherwise court orders lose their validity,” he said.

“It sets a terrible precedent that injunctions can be granted and yet people choose to ignore them.”

He could do with asking Drew Harris to attend - because that's where the buck stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,963 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Can we name and shame the club or have the media named them yet?
    I think every person in this country should write a complaint to the club secretary.

Wanderers FC was plastered all over the grounds but it appears its actually council property. I'm curious however, did these charming individuals just decide to errect a Marquee without permission which would be trespass or did someone actually give permission for this nonsense. I'd very must doubt a marquee was erected without some sort of agreement or understanding, unless of course the organisers apart from not giving a S****, are actually more stupid than I assumed.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

thegills wrote: »

I am sure they have vans full of generators!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,773 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Gardai need to be bodycammed up going in to situations like this, when they are challenged with being heavy handed they can supply the footage of what actually happened for all to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,639 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

More of this pavee point

Good on him, this was wrong and fines punishments should be given out

Advertisement