Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭batman_oh

There is a gang of teenagers openly dealing drugs in Temple Bar from outside the McDonalds and roaming around down towards Fitzsimons every single Friday/Saturday night I've been there for the past 2 years or so. Never seem to get any bother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Nah don't be silly mate. The Gardai are too busy patrolling suburban parks in leafy suburbs on the off chance that a dispute will break out between 2 mammies as to who is paying for the coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Northernlily

My point is it was they are obviously needed elsewhere on a Friday evening. Why can't they be redeployed up to Store St from Donnybrook for a few hours. There is for the most part not a danger of trouble here compared to just 2km down the road where it's mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think the people who spend a lot of money to live in safe, middle class areas would object to that and they'd be right to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Killinator

People need to bare in mind that Gardai are attached to specific stations, they can't just go crossing districts or going in to areas they don't cover just because that area doesn't have enough Gardai. If you are stationed in Rathfarnham then that's where you are based and cover the district it supports, you don't just pop into Store St's area, that's not how it works.

It's not the Gardai in Rathfarnham's fault there aren't enough in Store St, like most other things, it's a management issue and an unwillingness to even recognise there's a problem first.

• Advertisement

10.30am on a quiet Sunday morning in St Annes Park and we have a Garda patrol car doing laps of the park. It's a hotspot of crime and danger here this morning. People out jogging, walking dogs and having coffee.

And you're complaining about having a Garda presence in your area?

Yes I'm complaining about Garda resources being wasted patrolling an area that has no crime, and therefore no requirement for them to be there. They should be patrolling areas that need a Garda presence.

And when the gardai leave the crime will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,124 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ever think there might be a connection between the gardai patrols and the lack of crime....?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

No it won't, its a suburban park in a very nice area that has no crime.

I don't think there is much crime in a suburban park in Dublin 5 at 10.30am on a Sunday morning, Garda presence or not.

Roughly 6kms away is the 5 Lamps. This Garda car would have been better utilised being sent there to drive around an area of Dublin that badly needs policing and to show a presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

President Biden's visit? I've never seen so many Gards in all my life around St Stephen's green. I'm assuming they were from all over the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

No area is 100% crime free. And plenty of crimes are committed by "nice middle class" people, in "nice middle class" areas, at all times of the day.

Google "crime in St Annes Park" and the first couple of links that pop up are about teenage thugs in St Annes Park.

"Intimidating gangs surround young mum in her car before terrorising farm animals at Dublin park" ...A gang of "brazen and intimidating" thugs - some as young as 11 - surrounded a mother who was sitting in her car at St Anne's Park in Raheny yesterday evening..

"Alarming rise in teenage gang thuggery in St Anne's Park sees City Farm volunteers appeal for help to upgrade CCTV"... A string of violent incidents in the Raheny park where the much loved Tree of Live was torched by thugs yesterday has led to an appeal for donations to upgrade CCTV there

"Vicious sex attack on wife in sunshine stroll" ... A woman was subjected to a terrifying sexual assault yesterday morning as she walked her dog in a north Dublin park.The married woman was strolling in sunshine near the pitch and putt grounds at St Anne's Park, Raheny before 10am when the attacker struck.

"Indecency in Raheny on the 27/8/17" - Garda.ie - 27 Aug 2017 — Anne's Park, Raheny, Dublin 5, at 8.20am. The man is described as being middle aged, average height with sallow skin. He had a round chubby face ...

"Thugs hold boy at knifepoint and steal brand new bike in terrifying mugging in busy Raheny park.." Two thugs held a boy at knifepoint before stealing his new bicycle in a brazen mugging in north Dublin yesterday. The terrifying ordeal took place in the busy St Anne’s Park, Raheny shortly before 4pm.

"Attempted Robbery, St. Annes Park, Clontarf, Dublin 3 on the 4/12/22"... Gardaí at Clontarf Garda Station are investigating an attempted robbery that occurred at St. Annes Park, Clontarf, Dublin 3 shortly before 4pm on Sunday 4th December 2022.  On the date in question, a young woman walked down the main avenue of St Annes Park. She was listening to music on her airpods, while holding her mobile phone. The young woman turned to go back as it was getting dark and while doing so, she was approached by 4 male suspects, who pushed her to the ground and hit and kicked her. One of the males then searched her pockets and demanded money from her. The males subsequently left the area empty handed, at speed, in the direction of Sybil Hill Road. 

Still think its not worth having a patrol car doing the rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Those two areas aren't covered by the same station.

Are certain areas not allowed to have a Garda presence now because other places have problems?

Typical public sector attitude to a problem...that's not my area. Dublin City Centre has major issues with policing. Nearby Garda stations (within a few kilometres) have capacity to help.

If it was a private company resources would be reallocated to where they're most needed. In a public organisation we get the "that's not my area" attitude.

Yes you are correct, crimes do and have happened in the park. However that is 6 examples in possibly a 6 year period (1 of your articles is from 2017).

So if we have an average of 1 crime per year, I think seeing Garda patrols there twice in 1 week is excessive. There are severely limited resources in the Garda force, if I was in charge I'd be playing the odds...and the odds of a crime in Dublin City Centre are far higher than in St Annes Park at 10am on a Sunday morning in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I was expecting you to come back with like something that, and they are exactly that - examples. Do you think every incident that happens ends up reported on in the media?

These are just a couple of examples I found via a quick google and the ones that relate to teenagers they are from 2020 onwards, including one from December 2022. lGod knows how many other incidences happen that are not reported in the media, (or to the gardai for that matter) but I'd be confident there have been more.

Anyway, the point is, a garda presence is necessary in every area, whether you judge it to be necessary or not. The gardai who patrol St Annes Park are assigned to a specific station. But it seems the gardai can't seem to do right for doing wrong in some people's eyes. If there was no presence, the locals would be complaining about that.

Disclaimer: there are no gardai in my family and I am not close friends with any gardai.

Yes, again, working on overtime which they cannot be forced to do because...that's right...it's overtime.

They gave up their days off and and were paid to stand at a checkpoint or barrier which is much easier to do than give up you free time and be paid to get abuse and get into brawls with scumbags.

If you had the choice of going on a holiday to a 5 star resort in Sorrento or going on holiday to a tent in Cavan, you'd pick Sorrento I'm sure.

Why the hell would me or any other right minded Garda give up their free time to fight crime in the likes of Talbot St, we wouldnt get any thanks for it and would more likely be criticised no matter what we/they did.

Nah, if I want abuse and summers trying to assault me I'll just stick to my own town on my standard working hours, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

There has been reports of antisocial behaviour from gangs around St Anne's in past. Wonderful to hear this is addressed

And then the Gardai patrol Talbot St or wherever and then the crime moves away to somewhere else. Then you'll have people saying that the Gardai need to get off Talbot St, there's no crime there!

... while crime escalates in St Anne's Park and people moan about no Gardai presence...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

you are not comparing like with like

numbers of police in paris with no in dublin

dublin with paris

there are 1 garda for every 300 people though

even move that to 1 garda per 1000 to cover shifts

basically average for europe

the issue isn't a blanket coverage of the population with garda, as most don't need it, it needs to be targeted

what you said is true, the countryside has been abandoned by the police, so there should be plenty left over for dublin cork limerick etc

its like police can't move and respond to different situations

thats the kind of thinking that has us where we are

I don't know where you get your numbers but they are just wrong (do you not realise that the published numbers include the Commissioner, ACs, Chiefs, etc... Lads who will never step foot outside an office again)

The lack of Gardai in rural towns does not mean they should be available for the cities. The Gardai that are not in rural Ireland are also not in cities because they don't exist.

And targeted policing will 100% lead to groups bitc*ing that it's unfair to certain classes of people. Once again, a no win situation.

Actually, it's the kind of thinking that police are omnipresent. There are physical limits.

• Advertisement

they are never present, they have disappeared, this is the issue

Advertisement