Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

More people getting into buying purely to put stuff in the auctions.
    I did it myself with a bottle of MVR 2021. Went straight from where I bought it to where I auctioned it, and made €100.
    I 'invested' it straight into whiskey to drink though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

head82 wrote: »
    This is probably a little off topic but I figured here was the most appropriate thread to post it.

I've been keeping an eye on the Celtic Whiskey Auction site (May/June finished last night) and was surprised to see a noticable drop in the 'hammer price' of some bottles.. actually quite a lot of bottles.
    For instance, my oldest bottle of MVR is 2007. Previous auctions, this has sold for around €700. At close of current auction, it didn't even reach its reserve of €500. Same for the 2008.
    This would appear to be a trend across the board. All those MVR 2020s that were fetching 700+ a couple of months back, now struggled to reach 450. And quite a few didn't even reach their reserve.

Just curious as to what could be a possible explanation for this fall off. Is there a glut of bottles on the market?

YES ! When every shelfstacker knows about Midleton, it is about equivalent to the tale of Joe Kennedy selling out in the States because shoeshine boys were tipping shares. A lot of speculative buying to turn a few bottles. ......Boom then downturn then where?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

head82 wrote: »
    This is probably a little off topic but I figured here was the most appropriate thread to post it.

I've been keeping an eye on the Celtic Whiskey Auction site (May/June finished last night) and was surprised to see a noticable drop in the 'hammer price' of some bottles.. actually quite a lot of bottles.
    For instance, my oldest bottle of MVR is 2007. Previous auctions, this has sold for around €700. At close of current auction, it didn't even reach its reserve of €500. Same for the 2008.
    This would appear to be a trend across the board. All those MVR 2020s that were fetching 700+ a couple of months back, now struggled to reach 450. And quite a few didn't even reach their reserve.

Just curious as to what could be a possible explanation for this fall off. Is there a glut of bottles on the market?

This was always going to happen. Especially with MVR that is produced in bulk. The production of the 2020 bottle was about half of what normal years are (maybe less im not sure) but Id say bugger all bottles of the 2020 were opened. The juice inside the MVR bottles is not worth a penny over the RRP in my opinion so nobody bothered with it the minute the value went so high. Most of it is stuck on a shelf somewhere.

Im pretty sure IDL were aware of the bubble prices bursting too and tried to soften the blow by doing batch releases of the 2021 bottle. I might be overly cynical here but it really seem that IDL were feeding the frenzy, in all fairness though for the year that was in it, I dont blame them.

EDIT: I have a feeling the end of the pandemic might mean people have less disposable cash to fling into bottles aswell so youre going to see the prices drop. Holidays, childcare, commuting, wining and dining costs are all coming back with a bang and people have less cash to spend on whiskey. That and the fact crypto has dropped, id love to know how many big whiskey spenders were just spending their cryto gains lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭head82

Hogzy wrote: »
    This was always going to happen. Especially with MVR that is produced in bulk. The production of the 2020 bottle was about half of what normal years are (maybe less im not sure) but Id say bugger all bottles of the 2020 were opened. The juice inside the MVR bottles is not worth a penny over the RRP in my opinion so nobody bothered with it the minute the value went so high. Most of it is stuck on a shelf somewhere.

Im pretty sure IDL were aware of the bubble prices bursting too and tried to soften the blow by doing batch releases of the 2021 bottle. I might be overly cynical here but it really seem that IDL were feeding the frenzy, in all fairness though for the year that was in it, I dont blame them.

EDIT: I have a feeling the end of the pandemic might mean people have less disposable cash to fling into bottles aswell so youre going to see the prices drop. Holidays, childcare, commuting, wining and dining costs are all coming back with a bang and people have less cash to spend on whiskey. That and the fact crypto has dropped, id love to know how many big whiskey spenders were just spending their cryto gains lol.

I suspect you might be right about those 2020 bottles. Still find it a little strange that earlier releases that would typically command a premium price are struggling.
    For anyone with disposable income, perhaps now is the right time to speculate.
    Whiskey is the new Crypto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I've never bought or sold at auction but I keep an eye just out of interest. There was an implosion in prices in the the latest Irish Whiskey Auction. For instance you could get the Waterford Ratheadon 1.1 for €137. This was almost half the normal going rate a few months ago. The Ballymorgan 1.1 which had a rrp of €75 went for €37. A lot of other brands went for way below retail too.

I know people who have never even sniffed a glass of whiskey who have more bottles of whiskey stashed away than most of the active users on this thread. Bit early to say there is a contraction in the market but I'd be delighted if those type of people are scared away so those who want to drink nice whiskey can without jumping through hoops..

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »

Myself and the missus went out for a nice meal and a few drinks up North last week and easily spent €200. First time since the pandemic started but will probably be a monthly thing again. I'm back at the gym today too for the first proper time in a year and a half and with membership, protein and extra food etc that's another €150-200 a month. Both expenses and luxuries not there for a long time.

I'll still be buying plenty of whiskey but I'll have to think twice on some of them whereas in 2020 I couldn't spend the money quick enough. A bit of jiggery pokery might be needed :D I'm sure everybody will be in a similar position.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 OwlParliament

I keep an eye on it as well. Bought a bottle of Drumshanbo Inaugural Release and Teeling Single Pot Release 1 sort of by accident. Put 2 low bids in not expecting much. Both came in under RRP so I'm happy with that. Never sold on it though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Bought a couple of Norlan glasses randomly.

To be honest I have really nice glasses by Baccarrat and J Hill so I'm not sure what I think of these. They actually feel a little cheap to me (the light weight). But at the same time, I could be convinced that they will indeed be superior for nosing.

Haven't tried them yet, will be the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cazale wrote: »

Apart from the fact that it's good value and a great line up of whiskeys, the Pucan tastings are a bit of a laugh. There was a sing song in the last one! Definitely one to do live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

There was an interesting site I saw that showed where each Irish brand sourced their distillate. Can't find it again and I'm looking to harness the collective memory as mine is sadly letting me down :( I think someone on this thread shared it previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

1901Rory wrote: »
    There was an interesting site I saw that showed where each Irish brand sourced their distillate. Can't find it again and I'm looking to harness the collective memory as mine is sadly letting me down :( I think someone on this thread shared it previously.

I think this is the previous post on provenance... via The Irish Distillers Association

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115349587&postcount=7139

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think this is the previous post on provenance... via The Irish Distillers Association

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115349587&postcount=7139

That was it. Spot on. Cheers odyssey

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That sounds deadly. We shall get onboard indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Down in Sligo for the weekend.

The FIL, unlike Cazale's, has taste, and while wine is where his expertise lies, he does a mean line in whiskey when he knows I'm on the way:

555672.jpeg

Now, don't let the picture fool ye, I brought the RB12, the Kilbeggan SG NAS and the Chateau Breuil. The Knapp14 and Yellow Spot were here waiting on me.

Though, he tells me this story about how a friend gave him this whiskey, and his brother, who visited a couple of weeks ago ploughed on in with him while out enjoying the sea air; but he had kept me some...

Narrator: He hadn't kept me any...

So it seems he'd been given this...

https://shop.bushmills.com/collections/steamship/products/steamship-bourbon-cask

Anyone had it?

The Knapp14 is so fupping good. Haven't touched it since last summer.

The Kilbeggan SG NAS, which I finally got after months going on about it, definitely matches with the notes I've heard on here. Doesn't match the Kilbeggan 8, as you'd expect, woodier and grassier, and the 6yo liquid adds to its overall youthful window, but it's close enough and will become a regular tipple on the shelf at home with the RB12 and the Jameson BB.

Yellow Spot is still letting me down, especially when it is in a direct comparison with its RB12 counterpart.

RB12 really is the daddy of Irish whiskey for me these days. Especially at €46 a bottle when embracing Ulster's generosity.

Opened my Kilchoman Sanaig last night and did a comparison with the Machir Bay.

The Sanaig has a portion of sherry cask finished content, giving it a lot more colour compared to the Machir Bay. Quite a different whisky, reminded me of the Lagavulin Distillers Edition and like that whisky this is one of those times when the smoke and the sherry finish live happily ever after.

Of the two the Machir Bay is the braver whisky I think, they've been quite confident in letting out a quite young whisky with a bit of peating but it's overall quite stripped back. The Sanaig has the extra bells and whistles the sherry brings but I'm not actually sure the Machir Bay is any the worse for its simplicity.

Looking forward to carrying on with Kilchoman in the future, I'm going to work my way through the line-up. I've said it before but I think they're the best value and quality of the Islay distillers at the moment, remarkable stuff.

Continuing with the Game of Thrones tasting set, next up is Clynelish single malt.

"This vibrant, golden Scotch is light and floral, like House Tyrell, and it’s not to be underestimated with its underlying complex combination of Highland and maritime qualities."

This is lovely stuff, no age statement but packs a punch at 51% ABV.
    Retails at about €70 - €75, which seems closer to what it should be priced at than some of the entries in the series.
    Reminded me of Old Pulteney 12 and maybe even a little of Knappogue Castle 14.

Some good tasting notes here:
    game-of-thrones-House-tyrell-clynelish-reserve-e1592585423948.jpg

I think this is new... Kilbeggan Black is now availabe in Celtic Whiskey Shop for €35.

This has been "lightly peated for more depth, with a subtle yet delicate smoky finish."

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Kilbeggan-Black

O'Briens have Tullamore Dew 12 year old on offer at €40.

It's a blend of pot still, malt & grain whiskey, aged for at least 12 years in a mix of bourbon & sherry casks,

Anyone tried it?

https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/tullamore-dew-12yo-70cl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    O'Briens have Tullamore Dew 12 year old on offer at €40.

It's a blend of pot still, malt & grain whiskey, aged for at least 12 years in a mix of bourbon & sherry casks,

Anyone tried it?

https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/tullamore-dew-12yo-70cl

I tried it a couple of weeks ago in a tasting. I said at the time that it was a super whiskey for the money. At €40 it's a steal. Lovely drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I have yet to try Waterford Whiskey, but I see work has already started on the 2024 edition.

555723.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Jameson Black Barrel is back down to 30 in Tesco at the moment. Good value at that price IMO. I'm down to a half bottle, so duly picked one up, as I enjoy it so much more than the Caskmates stout which I picked up recently.

Delighted to have signed up as a judge for this years Irish Whiskey Awards. I'll have three categories from the list below to judge. It'll be a blind judging so I won't know what categories or whiskey I'm trying. I'll have up to 44 whiskeys at 20ml each to judge :D Didn't cost me anything and before anyone asks there are no places left :mad:

Irish Whiskey Awards categories are as follows:

Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey (11 Years & Younger, inc Non-Age Statement)
    Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey (12 Years & Older)
    Irish Single Malt Whiskey (11 Years & Younger, inc Non Age Statement)
    Irish Single Malt Whiskey (12 - 15 Years)
    Irish Single Malt Whiskey (16 Years & Older)
    Irish Blended Whiskey (Non-Age Statement)
    Irish Blended Whiskey (Age Statement)
    Irish Blended Whiskey (Limited Release)
    Irish Single Cask Whiskey
    Irish Cask Strength Whiskey
    Irish Grain Whiskey
    NEW Irish Whiskey — only distilleries open 3-6 years can enter and it must be distilled on site.

The 'NEW Irish whiskey' category - do they have to have distilled the whiskey themselves?

Well done by the way, you're very well qualified as a candidate for a judging role.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Didn't cost me anything
    Judging is fun to be involved in and it makes sense that judges may not look for remuneration, but I wouldn't be too openly pleased that Celtic Whiskey Shop is not charging you to do work for them. You're doing them a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Delighted to have signed up as a judge for this years Irish Whiskey Awards. I'll have three categories from the list below to judge. It'll be a blind judging so I won't know what categories or whiskey I'm trying. I'll have up to 44 whiskeys at 20ml each to judge :D Didn't cost me anything and before anyone asks there are no places left :mad:

Irish Whiskey Awards categories are as follows:

Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey (11 Years & Younger, inc Non-Age Statement)
    Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey (12 Years & Older)
    Irish Single Malt Whiskey (11 Years & Younger, inc Non Age Statement)
    Irish Single Malt Whiskey (12 - 15 Years)
    Irish Single Malt Whiskey (16 Years & Older)
    Irish Blended Whiskey (Non-Age Statement)
    Irish Blended Whiskey (Age Statement)
    Irish Blended Whiskey (Limited Release)
    Irish Single Cask Whiskey
    Irish Cask Strength Whiskey
    Irish Grain Whiskey
    NEW Irish Whiskey — only distilleries open 3-6 years can enter and it must be distilled on site.

Is that through IWS? I'd say that sold out in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    Judging is fun to be involved in and it makes sense that judges may not look for remuneration, but I wouldn't be too openly pleased that Celtic Whiskey Shop is not charging you to do work for them. You're doing them a favour.

I'd agree with this but it should be noted that there is no charge for entry in this competition and all profits from the awards night go to charity.
    Unlike most drinks competitions, this one isn't actually a big money racket.
    I'm pretty sure that CwS doesn't make any money off this - that's where Whiskey Live steps up!!

arodabomb wrote:
    Is that through IWS? I'd say that sold out in seconds.

Yeah 56 places available. Didn't last two minutes.

The 'NEW Irish whiskey' category - do they have to have distilled the whiskey themselves?

Yeah 3-6 years and must be distilled on site.
    Well done by the way, you're very well qualified as a candidate for a judging role.

Thanks. It'll be interesting judging it blind and not knowing what it is. I normally research new whiskey before I try them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭head82

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Jameson Black Barrel is back down to 30 in Tesco at the moment. Good value at that price IMO. I'm down to a half bottle, so duly picked one up, as I enjoy it so much more than the Caskmates stout which I picked up recently.

Still €42 in my tesco but the Crested was €30.
    Powers Gold Label was €18, which was a nice surprise.
    Always nice to have a bottle of Powers on the shelf.. especially at that price.

Advertisement