Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Two tastings tonight. Looking forward to trying the Dingle new make peated samples. I'll report back on them.

Second one is three drams. The Tipperary release caused a bit of controversy on the old thread at the time. Heard good things about the Killowen Signature Rum & Raisin. Had the standard Red Earl and it's forgettable so will be interesting to see if the Cask Strength can improve it.

Tipperary Homegrown Barley Single Malt
    Killowen Signature Rum & Raisin 5 Year Old Single Malt
    Red Earl Cask Strength

Irish distillers are opening the Midleton Craft Collection Whiskey Store in Brown Thomas in Dublin on 03 June. Prices range from €60 to €40,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Tullamore tasting is very good - the guy from the distillery is actually interesting and doesn't take himself too seriously. The XO aged in rum casks is a lovely drop.

Tullamore tasting is very good - the guy from the distillery is actually interesting and doesn't take himself too seriously. The XO aged in rum casks is a lovely drop.

Poetry and music even!

Notes from tonight's Dingle tasting.

First was the Single Malt bourbon component at 46.3%. This makes up 39% of final product. Citrus notes with vanilla, banana, white pepper. Aged in first fill char level 3 casks. Heaven Hill, Jim beam, Basil Hayden casks. 6-7 year old spirit. Triple distilled. Fresh.

Next up was the PX Sherry component again at 46.3%. Non chill and no E150. 61% of Single Malt. First fill 500ltr sherry butts. Notes of figs, Milk Chocolate, orange peel, Raisins. Dry finish.

The Single Malt core release at 46.3% abv. Highest sherry release from Dingle. At 61% sherry it imparts sweet notes, dark choc and dark fruits. Bourbon component at 39% delivers on nose with citrus, vanilla and spice. A nice balance. Well worth the €55.

Next sample was a single pot still Shiraz finish. 60% abv. 2015 SPS aged for 4.5 years in first fill bourbon and 15 months in 12x300 ltrs Australian barossa valley shiraz casks. Very fruity. Red berries, fruit cake, marzipan. Warm. Lovely drop.

Double distilled peated Dingle new make. From feb 2020. 50-60ppm peated malt before distillation. 35ppm afterwards. Approaching islay peat levels. Smokey bacon, bonfire, sweet apples, butterscotch. Easy to drink even at 65% abv. Beautiful!

Last sample is a peated malt. Aged for 3 months in 25ltr virgin oak casks and 6 months in 2nd fill bourbon. Sweet, smoke, green apple, spice. Feels like it's 65%. Work in progress but a great glimpse into future of Irish peat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

I enjoyed the two individual components of the Dingle single malt separately more than the final product .Would happily buy either but still likely to pick up a Dingle SM fairly soon .

More notes from tonight.

Killowen signature rum and raisin 5 year old. 55% abv. Batch 1. Sourced liquid from Cooley. Typical Cooley notes of apple and orchard fruits. Cask Strength at 55%. Finished in Killowen dark rum casks and px sherry casks. No filtration whatsoever so samples contain char. No caramel colouring. Baked apples, Christmas cake, dark fruits, molasses and chocolate. This is a really nice release. €60 for a 500ml bottle. Batch 1 sold out but another batch on the way. Would get a full size bottle..

Tullamore DEW XO, aged in rum casks is coincidentally on special in SuperValu at €28.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BBC2 Northern Ireland will be airing a documentary about whiskey on Sunday night at 10pm entitled Whiskey Talkin.

Ulster-Scots broadcaster Mark Thompson is joined by historian Fionnan O'Connor to explore the story of Irish whiskey, once a major industry in Ulster. They reveal just how much Scottish whisky story owes to the north of Ireland, and look back at a time when Irish whiskey exports outsold Scotland's by three to one.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote:
    Ulster-Scots broadcaster Mark Thompson is joined by historian Fionnan O'Connor to explore the story of Irish whiskey, once a major industry in Ulster. They reveal just how much Scottish whisky story owes to the north of Ireland, and look back at a time when Irish whiskey exports outsold Scotland's by three to one.

If you listen to Fionnan long enough he'll convince you to open your own distillery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Cazale wrote: »
    Notes from tonight's Dingle tasting.

First was the Single Malt bourbon component at 46.3%. This makes up 39% of final product. Citrus notes with vanilla, banana, white pepper. Aged in first fill char level 3 casks. Heaven Hill, Jim beam, Basil Hayden casks. 6-7 year old spirit. Triple distilled. Fresh.

Next up was the PX Sherry component again at 46.3%. Non chill and no E150. 61% of Single Malt. First fill 500ltr sherry butts. Notes of figs, Milk Chocolate, orange peel, Raisins. Dry finish.

The Single Malt core release at 46.3% abv. Highest sherry release from Dingle. At 61% sherry it imparts sweet notes, dark choc and dark fruits. Bourbon component at 39% delivers on nose with citrus, vanilla and spice. A nice balance. Well worth the €55.

Next sample was a single pot still Shiraz finish. 60% abv. 2015 SPS aged for 4.5 years in first fill bourbon and 15 months in 12x300 ltrs Australian barossa valley shiraz casks. Very fruity. Red berries, fruit cake, marzipan. Warm. Lovely drop.

Double distilled peated Dingle new make. From feb 2020. 50-60ppm peated malt before distillation. 35ppm afterwards. Approaching islay peat levels. Smokey bacon, bonfire, sweet apples, butterscotch. Easy to drink even at 65% abv. Beautiful!

Last sample is a peated malt. Aged for 3 months in 25ltr virgin oak casks and 6 months in 2nd fill bourbon. Sweet, smoke, green apple, spice. Feels like it's 65%. Work in progress but a great glimpse into future of Irish peat.

When are the Dingle peated ones going to be available do you know, or are they already??

Whiskey night for me..long week not helped by the football on Wednesday..
    Start with a Black Barrel first but Bunnahabhain will be on the menu at some point

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Glen Dronach 15 year old revival for me tonight.

Really loving this, heavily sherried highland malt. I got this right before the Brexit gates came down on ordering from Amazon, really tasty.

When are the Dingle peated ones going to be available do you know, or are they already??

Never discussed a date. He did say that the peat worked well with younger spirit of 3-4 years old. The first peated Dingle new make was distilled in Feb 2020 so going by that it would be 2023 or 2024 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Next up in the Games of Thrones whisky set is A Song of Fire.
    This is a blend from Johnnie Walker, rrp here is €54.

<insert blurb>
    Inspired by the dragons of House Targaryen and the fire that they breathe. Rich and spicy, with touches of subtle smoke that comes from the peated malt used at the Caol Ila distillery on the Island of Islay.
    <end blurb>

Yep, totally agree with that (even the dragon bit obviously).
    Wouldn't be someone who would seek out the heavily peated Islays... I really liked the subtle smoke here. As a blend, it's a light, smooth, easy drinking whisky. Lacking a bit in complexity and heft for a whisky of that price.
    That seems to be a pattern with the Thrones tie ins.
    But a very enjoyable dram.

275017-big.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

As threatened I've started a whiskey blog which I've called Only Drams. I don't want to spam the thread but if people will indulge me for a moment I'll give a quick explanation. The plan is to post 4-6 reviews a month with eventually updates on new releases, distillery tours and auction reviews. Mainly whiskey focused but some world spirits too.

A quick(ish) introduction below.

https://onlydrams.wordpress.com/2021/05/30/welcome-to-only-drams/

My first review below is of Dingle peat samples. I have a good few others in the can ready to go. It's a blog so don't expect Joyce but I hope to tighten up the writing and get into a proper flow over time.

https://onlydrams.wordpress.com/2021/05/30/review-dingle-peat/

Posting about it here first with the aim of launching it elsewhere next week. I won't spam the thread but if allowed I'll update occasionally. I have plans to give away some very nice samples on Twitter but I'll keep aside some of them for my friends on here. Thanks for reading and hopefully a few will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

As a casual conteibutor to this thread, I'd appreciate you posting the link to each blog if its allowed.

Saves me following other threads as I've followed this one for ages now.

Echlinville have announced they are reviving Old Comber Irish Pot Still Whiskey. One of the biggest names in Irish whiskey until it's demise in the 1950s.

Three whiskeys tonight. Some rough notes.

Killarney 8 year old inaugural release.

1092 bottles of both whiskey and stout. 46% abv. Imperial stout cask finish. 9.6% imperial stout was brewed by Killarney especially to finish the whiskey. An eight year old blend. Cooley stock. Stout left in casks for six months and then whiskey matured for four months. Stout aged again in same casks. Nose of pears, vanilla, sweet marmalade and fresh fruits. Stout not too apparent. Mouth of caramelized bananas, dark chocolate and apples. Stout and malt in the background. Pepper spice and fruit in finish. Interesting dram. Would drink again but wouldn't buy a bottle.

Thomand Gate Miguel Hogan.

60.11%. Double distilled single malt. Great northern stock. Aged in ex bourbon. Finished for 6 months in Ruby Port Casks. Natural colour. Gorgeous rose wine hue. Really stands out. Fruity nose of pears and grapes. Honey sweetness. Biscuits. On the mouth there is a huge burst of flavour. Creamy, oily, cinnamon spice, butterscotch vanilla, juicy fruits. Dropped a bit of water to open it up. Beautiful.

Jameson distillery reserve 12 year old.

Exclusive to Midleton and Bow street distillery shops. 40%. Pot Still and grain blend. Three pot still types aged in first fill bourbon and sherry. Grain aged in first fill bourbon. Nose is delicate and light. Caramel, citrus, candied apples, honey. Slight hint of dark fruits from sherry. On the mouth it's creamy, light, dark fruits, citrus and honey. This has potential to be a great dram but the abv lets it down. Very civilised and nice. Probably needs to be to sell to tourists but give me the madness of a 60% any day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Echlinville have announced they are reviving Old Comber Irish Pot Still Whiskey. One of the biggest names in Irish whiskey until it's demise in the 1950s.

Do people like this idea?

Not sure about the penchant in Ireland and Scotland with reviving old brands, it kind of reminds me of Hollywood tending to play it safe by going back to the same well of old movies and franchises and rebooting them. I presume it's perceived to be less risky than trying to create your own brand?

And the reviving is sometimes no more than appropriating the name and making a tenuous connection that way.

If there is a non-working distillery that presents a shell which can be rebuilt, that makes sense to me, that's what they did at Annandale in Scotland (at least with some of the buildings). And at Wolfburn they built the new distillery from scratch but they're in the right town and they're using the original water supply.

Personally I don't like it. This is the second brand Echlinville has revived. Dunvilles Whiskey was the first and their branding refers to being established in 1808 even though it should be 2012. It's obviously a quicker way to market for them.

Two other big distilleries up that direction that are long closed were Coleraine and Watts both from Derry. A Coleraine whiskey is currently produced in Midleton. A long way from Derry! Watts produced a whiskey called Tyrconnell which was where Cooley got the name from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

As threatened I've started a whiskey blog which I've called Only Drams. I don't want to spam the thread but if people will indulge me for a moment I'll give a quick explanation. The plan is to post 4-6 reviews a month with eventually updates on new releases, distillery tours and auction reviews. Mainly whiskey focused but some world spirits too.

A quick(ish) introduction below.

https://onlydrams.wordpress.com/2021/05/30/welcome-to-only-drams/

My first review below is of Dingle peat samples. I have a good few others in the can ready to go. It's a blog so don't expect Joyce but I hope to tighten up the writing and get into a proper flow over time.

https://onlydrams.wordpress.com/2021/05/30/review-dingle-peat/

Posting about it here first with the aim of launching it elsewhere next week. I won't spam the thread but if allowed I'll update occasionally. I have plans to give away some very nice samples on Twitter but I'll keep aside some of them for my friends on here. Thanks for reading and hopefully a few will check it out.

Excellent review. Liking the fact there's no scoring, just a straight review. Some serious amount of Whiskey samples there. Looking forward to seeing more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Tullamore DEW XO, aged in rum casks is coincidentally on special in SuperValu at €28.

Seems like it's on special a lot. I guess it just doesn't shift at the normal price around €50.
    I got a bottle from the distillery in 2019, and then have got a couple more since, in Supervalu at the better price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone here get a dreamcask? If so, is your packaging intact? Mine arrived all torn to bits!:(

Hogzy wrote:
    Anyone here get a dreamcask? If so, is your packaging intact? Mine arrived all torn to bits!

No sign yet here but that doesn't sound good. They had to send apology kits out for the 32 year old dream cask because loads were damaged on arrival. I'd be straight on to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anyone here get a dreamcask? If so, is your packaging intact? Mine arrived all torn to bits!:(

Take a look at the facebook friends of midletion page.....post from Midleton

Hi Everyone, with the permission of the Admins I wanted to give you an update on the issue of the Redbreast Dreamcask boxes being damaged in transit.

Firstly following some very helpful feedback from Redbreast Birdhouse members we have made some changes to the delivery method of the Redbreast Dream Cask Oloroso Sherry Edition box to ensure that this issue does not occur with the box.

Those who have received a delivery with damaged packaging and have been in contact have now been contacted and will receive a second delivery of a new box to display their whiskey.

Those who have not yet received a delivery will not be impacted.

We really appreciate your understanding and hope that you enjoy your Redbreast Dream Cask Oloroso Sherry Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

sceach16 wrote: »
    Take a look at the facebook friends of midletion page.....post from Midleton

Hi Everyone, with the permission of the Admins I wanted to give you an update on the issue of the Redbreast Dreamcask boxes being damaged in transit.

Firstly following some very helpful feedback from Redbreast Birdhouse members we have made some changes to the delivery method of the Redbreast Dream Cask Oloroso Sherry Edition box to ensure that this issue does not occur with the box.

Those who have received a delivery with damaged packaging and have been in contact have now been contacted and will receive a second delivery of a new box to display their whiskey.

Those who have not yet received a delivery will not be impacted.

We really appreciate your understanding and hope that you enjoy your Redbreast Dream Cask Oloroso Sherry Edition.

I emailed first thing yesterday morning and I havnt heard back from Redbreast at all. I might call them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I emailed first thing yesterday morning and I havnt heard back from Redbreast at all. I might call them up.

Some pain, hope you get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Are you sure herself didn't get to the box after finding the Blue Spot as well?

The missus is away so I'm running amuck. Had the following this evening listed in order of preference. All good whiskeys but the Irishman was the star. Took notes but five whiskeys in doesn't lend to typing :D

The Irishman Cask Strength 2020 Single Malt 55.2%
    Fercullen 8 year old blended 40%
    Bill Phil Batch 2 47.58%
    Tipperary Homegrown Barley 50%
    Red Earl Cask Strength 65.45%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Better be fresh in the morning:D

Advertisement