Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭TheG0AT

Hogzy wrote: »
    Assuming the Welcome Bottle is the Jameson Distillery Edition, there will be 4 additional bottles. Im guessing one will be Redbreast, one will be Powers, one Spot and one Midleton/Method&Madness.

1x Redbreast Lustau Cask Strength
    1x Powers Johns Lane Cask Strength
    1x Something new from Method & Madness
    1x Something new from Mitchel & Sons

#Dreaming :pac:

There's room for a new Spot whiskey!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Hogzy wrote:
    1x Redbreast Lustau Cask Strength 1x Powers Johns Lane Cask Strength 1x Something new from Method & Madness 1x Something new from Mitchel & Sons

The dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Assuming the Welcome Bottle is the Jameson Distillery Edition, there will be 4 additional bottles. Im guessing one will be Redbreast, one will be Powers, one Spot and one Midleton/Method&Madness.

1x Redbreast Lustau Cask Strength
    1x Powers Johns Lane Cask Strength
    1x Something new from Method & Madness
    1x Something new from Mitchel & Sons

#Dreaming :pac:

oh oh oh....and an option to purchase the 2022 Dreamcask.

....and a Valentines day card from Kevin O'Gorman and Billy Leighton.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Just to mention, Púca Whiskey is back in stock in my local Aldi, think it got good mention on this thread (or previous iteration) last time round and very good value IMHO for 24.99.

Up North so I've brought a goodie bag up with me. Some Green Spot, Redbreast Cask Strength, Powers John Lane, Teeling Small Batch and Method and Madness French Chestnut. The Father in law has Black Bush and Powers Gold label. Got myself some fancy stouts too. Promises to be a good few days!

• Advertisement

Some posts in the last week from Only Drams for those interested.

Review – Teeling Blackpitts
    https://onlydrams.wordpress.com/2021/06/12/review-teeling-blackpitts/

Review – Thomond Gate Miguel Hogan
    https://onlydrams.wordpress.com/2021/06/16/review-thomond-gate-miguel-hogan/

Redbreast Dream Cask Oloroso Sherry Edition - Photos and official tasting notes
    https://onlydrams.wordpress.com/2021/06/08/redbreast-dream-cask-oloroso-sherry-edition/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Cazale wrote: »

When you say it's not that peated, how peated is the Blackpitts, is it more or less so than the Dark Silkie, for example?

From your review:-
    Blackpitts was matured in bourbon and sauterne casks. Teelings tried a number of different casks including cognac before settling on sauterne. The inspiration for the use of these casks came from a previous bottling of Teeling 24-Year-Old Single Malt which was honoured as the “World’s Best Single Malt” in 2019 at the World Whiskies Awards.

I had a bottle of that! Superior stuff.

Sauterne and peat is one combination I would not have put together, but I guess I'll have to eventually try it and find out.

When you say it's not that peated, how peated is the Blackpitts, is it more or less so than the Dark Silkie, for example?

The Blackpitts isn't that smoke driven on the nose. It's more present on the palette but is subtle. The third distillation, how the cuts were made and the sweetness from the sauterne casks push the smoke to the background. The flavours are lighter and more fruity.

I haven't tried the Dark Silkie recently. That's triple distilled peated malt blended with double distilled malt. Both from Great Northern Distillery. Bill Phil also uses triple distilled peated malt from Great Northern Distillery. That's way more smokey on the nose and palette.

The only distillery in Scotland that triple distills peated malt is Springbank. As far as I know the rest are double distilled.
    Sauterne and peat is one combination I would not have put together, but I guess I'll have to eventually try it and find out.

That 24 year old is one hell of a whiskey. Believe it or not there is peat in that one too. Only 5ppm but it's there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Glenmorangie 10 tonight.

You need to come at it with a clean palate to get the most out of it.

Belfast Whiskey Week sets go on sale tomorrow at 10pm. I'll buy some whiskey off them but your man running it is still an insufferable gob****e.

• Advertisement

Had a bushmills 21 year old Madeira

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Belfast Whiskey Week sets go on sale tomorrow at 10pm. I'll buy some whiskey off them but your man running it is still an insufferable gob****e.

Jesus, the absolute state of the site.

How many options do ya need?

I missed it last year, but I definitely would consider it if I didn't have to work out what I'm getting for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did you figure out what packages involve actual whiskey samples?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote:
    Did you figure out what packages involve actual whiskey samples?

They sent out those packs the other day. Some are happy with what they got and others are disappointed. That's the gamble with random boxes I suppose. Your man from Belfast Whiskey Week has been doing a nightly stream for weeks now with much fluff and very little substance.

Myself and one of the lads in work have been watching them almost in a tag team to try to decipher what's going on. Video last night about the individual tasting sets at 10pm but it was closer to 11pm before he actually gave details.

Anyway the individual sets go on sale tonight at 10pm. Start at £15 for three whiskeys. I don't know what the craic is with postage. I'm still confused there. He mentioned collecting from off licences in the North and three collection points in Australia.

I'm after a Killowen Poitin set so that's what I'll be diving for when it goes live. I'll go through the rest then and see what takes my fancy. The frustration is that amidst all the convolution they have some great whiskey available. If they just toned down the delusions of grandeur it would suit their offering better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Picked up another bottle of Púca in aldi this week...I've yet to taste a nicer whiskey anywhere near the pricepoint

Attended some of these last year, but for the life of me can't decipher whats going on with this years offering. If there's masterclasses and sets being made available as an individual option and i know what i'm getting then i might sign up for some of them. Still have some of my samples from last year (Bushmills 21 last night being one) but i think i was very late in applying so was very restricted in what i could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Opened the bottle of The Sexton I got as a gift for my birthday last night, very impressed with it - easy drinker.

https://ibb.co/h7TF6q8

Whiskey Live 2022 tickets have gone up for sale.

Friday March 11th (6pm to 9:30pm) and Saturday March 12th (1pm to 5:30pm and 5pm to 9pm). Its in the RDS this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Stagg Junior Bourbon. From Buffalo Trace distillery. Nothing "Junior" about it. 130 proof. A taste bomb but needs a drop iof ice/water.

StaggJr-2.jpg

Hogzy wrote:
    Friday March 11th (6pm to 9:30pm) and Saturday March 12th (1pm to 5:30pm and 5pm to 9pm). Its in the RDS this time round.

Have it booked for the Friday night. Only 500 tickets a session initially until they know what the situation is with covid.

• Advertisement

https://www.belfastwhiskeyweek.com/

List of tastings are up. On sale at 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

https://www.belfastwhiskeyweek.com/

List of tastings are up. On sale at 10pm

Bonus box has 27 samples for £105 ... for someone looking to start a collection.

https://bww.thewhiskeyhub.com/products/bww-2021-bonus-box

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Not sure I can justify the prices when the descriptions are "This tasting includes 6 x 50ml Samples & Glass"

arodabomb wrote: »
    Not sure I can justify the prices when the descriptions are "This tasting includes 6 x 50ml Samples & Glass"

As feared it's a shambles. I had €350 put aside to buy a few sets but I can't justify buying any of them. Priced very high and very vague descriptions. I wanted to get the Killowen Poitin set. £65 for six unnamed 50ml samples. Postage is another £18 which works out at €97. Way too spicy for me.

Another tasting I was interested in is the Cask Strength Irish Whiskey which again doesn't list what is included. I could and probably have tried some or all. Works out at €120 including postage for six unknown samples. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

As feared it's a shambles. I had €350 put aside to buy a few sets but I can't justify buying any of them. Priced very high and very vague descriptions. I wanted to get the Killowen Poitin set. £65 for six unnamed 50ml samples. Postage is another £18 which works out at €97. Way too spicy for me.

Agreed, those others don't feel the same way. I was looking at the "Friends of Bruichladdich" and its already sold out. If I'm getting 6 octomore that would be good value, but I wouldn't be paying that fro 6 port charlotte standard (as good as it it).

Another tasting I was interested in is the Cask Strength Irish Whiskey which again doesn't list what is included. I could and probably have tried some or all. Works out at €120 including postage for six unknown samples. Madness.

The only one id have been tempted by is the Dreamcask one. £250 though. Its sold out now aswell.

6x30ml samples. Im guessing a sample of every dream cask, a man o lamh and a unknown sample then maybe? It would represent good value for money if that were the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

If they don't disclose what the samples are they will get inundated by questions about what the samples are!

I'm not sure I can be arsed.

The only one id have been tempted by is the Dreamcask one. £250 though. Its sold out now aswell.

6x30ml samples. Im guessing a sample of every dream cask, a man o lamh and a unknown sample then maybe? It would represent good value for money if that were the case.

It's a good price considering you'll never get those four opened anywhere at 30ml especially the 32 year old. I had a chance to try that before for €100 but thought against it then. I remember watching a stream where they discussed that tasting. Definitely a Mano O Lamh included. Other Redbreasts discussed was the Friend at hand 25 year old, Temple Bar 26 year old and the whiskey exchange 30 year old. Might be one of those for the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Incredible deal considering the price of the first dream cask is over 2 grand! Probably was only 16 available if they used one bottle for the tasting?

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »
    Incredible deal considering the price of the first dream cask is over 2 grand! Probably was only 16 available if they used one bottle for the tasting?

The 32yr was at €3,600 recently on IWA. :eek:

Advertisement