Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Anybody ever try the Celtic Cask range. Looking at doing one of their tastings.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Cazale wrote: »
    Anybody ever try the Celtic Cask range. Looking at doing one of their tastings.

I'd recommend them. I'm a big fan. Some really interesting wine finishes on them. An occasional shockers in there too, but few and far between. Some very small barrels used too, they only get 60 odd bottles out off some.

If you like sherry, interesting wine finishes, they are great

The upcoming tasting has some crackers in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Hogzy wrote: »
    Whiskey Live 2022 tickets have gone up for sale.

Friday March 11th (6pm to 9:30pm) and Saturday March 12th (1pm to 5:30pm and 5pm to 9pm). Its in the RDS this time round.

Ticket bought for Saturday night. Might go Friday too depending on the masterclasses. Did the Teeling one last time and it was good. Missed out on the Antique Collection Masterclass in previous years and given I have no real experience with bourbon I quite fancy that one if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pierrette

I got tickets for the Saturday afternoon. Haven't been before and really looking forward to it? Would there usually be good deals to be had in terms of discounted prices? (I'll need to know what to budget)

Pierrette wrote:
    I got tickets for the Saturday afternoon. Haven't been before and really looking forward to it? Would there usually be good deals to be had in terms of discounted prices? (I'll need to know what to budget)

All the whiskey samples are included in the entry price. They don't sell any whiskey at the stands themselves. Celtic Whiskey have some bits and bobs but I'm not sure if you can buy it on the day.

• Advertisement

Picked up some 50ml samples this morning. Some interesting hard to find or discontinued whiskeys. Got the black Irish for the novelty factor :D
    • Magilligan - Limited Edition - 1991 Sherry Wood - Single Malt - 46%
    • Knappogue Castle - 1995 Very Special Reserve - Single Malt - 40%
    • Paddy - Centenary - 7 Year Old - Single Pot Still - 43%
    • Connemara - 12 Year Old - 1990s bottling - Peated Single Malt - 40%
    • Powers - 12 Year Old Special Reserve - Gold Label - (Discontinued) - Blended Irish Whiskey - 40%
    • Hackler - Poitín - (Discontinued) - 40% abv
    • Johnnie Walker - Red Label - 1970's bottling - Scottish Blend - 40% abv
    • Black Irish - Darker Still - Spirit Drink - Whiskey, Stout, Chocolate, Spice - 40% abv
    • An Fearr Grinn - Against The Grain - Peated Single Malt - 46% abv

arodabomb wrote:
    I'd recommend them. I'm a big fan. Some really interesting wine finishes on them. An occasional shockers in there too, but few and far between. Some very small barrels used too, they only get 60 odd bottles out off some.

You've convinced me. I'll have to check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Any Puca still knocking around on ALDI or did it fly off the shelves?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There was a good bit left on the shelves in Terenure yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Chivas Regal 12 year old last night, sweet and a touch of smoke.

An expensive morning...signed up for the Barrel Club and put an order in with O'Briens.:o

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    There was a good bit left on the shelves in Terenure yesterday.

Cheers got a bottle of Puca in Aldi Coolock though had to root... 4-5 bottles were concealed behind the Jameson!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Finally managed to taste Blue Spot. Ordered a glass in a bar. Wasn’t keen at all. Very strong and not much going on taste-wise. I’d need a good sip of water to enjoy it.

Also tried a Ferncullen 14. Much nicer. A bit sweeter than what I’d normally go for, but will prob pick up a bottle at some point

ZV Yoda wrote:
    Finally managed to taste Blue Spot. Ordered a glass in a bar. Wasn’t keen at all. Very strong and not much going on taste-wise. I’d need a good sip of water to enjoy it.

I've tried a sample of it and remember liking it. Have a full size bottle to open soon. I love a cask strength whiskey but it needs to suit the whiskey. Some brands are just releasing them to go after a certain crowd. Was chatting to one fella who had a limited cask strength release and he told me to stick with the normal strength one as that was the perfect abv for it.
    ZV Yoda wrote:
    Also tried a Ferncullen 14. Much nicer. A bit sweeter than what I’d normally go for, but will prob pick up a bottle at some point

Fercullen do nice whiskey. Did a tasting with Noel Sweeney and he was talking about the Cooley stock he had distilled. He wasn't criticising other brands as such but he was saying most of them were finishing his Cooley distillate in other wine/sherry etc casks and that the Cooley character was being lost as they tried to differentiate themselves. Understandable enough I suppose. He said his intention with the standard Fercullen range was to mature it in oak/bourbon casks and to let the spirit speak for itself.

Not a huge fan of this Jura Origin 10. Lightly sweet taste and a touch briny. First involuntary impression of the nose was tuna cat food pouches. Is this whisky or whiskas?

1901Rory wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of this Jura Origin 10. Lightly sweet taste and a touch briny. First involuntary impression of the nose was tuna cat food pouches. Is this whisky or whiskas?

I did a Jura tasting recently and rated it below the other expressions I tasted:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117365593&postcount=295

I'd agree with the light sweet taste with brine \ sea spray, but I actually quite like that!
    I didn't detect any tuna, of which I'm not a fan but then again I don't have any pet cats! Just feral ones, but that's a different story...

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I did a Jura tasting recently and rated it below the other expressions I tasted:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117365593&postcount=295

Nice notes from the tasting. Haven’t had any of those but I liked their Superstition and the 18yo. I think Superstition and the Origin are discontinued now.

I was told by a rep that they rejigged their lineup because the whiskies from the previous range were very diverse, and so liking one Jura may not have been a reliable indicator that you would like another. They determined that this led to an uneven, less favourable opinion of the overall brand. Don’t know if it’s guff but he said their plan was to create a new signature style with each whisky in the range apparently offering variations on a common theme.

Did anyone hear about L Mulligans closing their whiskey shop? Someone told me they are going to be solely focusing on virtual tastings in the future. Any truth in it?

Tried Roe & Co Curator series this evening. I really liked it. Has an almost charcoal aftertaste. Unusual, but very nice.

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Tried Roe & Co Curator series this evening. I really liked it. Has an almost charcoal aftertaste. Unusual, but very nice.

Yeah big fan of it.
    Would much prefer it to this year's cask strength release, although last year's CS was great.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yeah big fan of it.
    Would much prefer it to this year's cask strength release, although last year's CS was great.

I have a bottle of cask strength at home. Bought it after an online tasting. In hindsight, I prefer the standard Roe & Co. In fairness, I think I’ve discovered over time that cask strength is not really for me. I’ll definitely get a bottle of curators series.

• Advertisement

https://craftirishwhiskey.com/the-brollach/#

5.5k for a 21 year old whiskey. What a load of brollach.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Where have they sourced all their releases from? Is it Cooley stock?

Where have they sourced all their releases from? Is it Cooley stock?

Yeah Cooley. Just saw that price doesn't include taxes or shipping either!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Picked up a bottle of Púca earlier. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

At least it's a really nice looking package!

I wonder how many are there and if they'll actually sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah Cooley. Just saw that price doesn't include taxes or shipping either!

While duty and shipping would be negligible at that price, you'd get a hefty VAT bill!!

Some set of obsidian stones on that Bradley fella…

Bill Linnane (tripledistilled.blog) did an investigative article on him that, whether true or not, portrayed him as a shyster and huckster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Is he actually managing to sell this stuff? Are there people that buy it at that price?

Advertisement