Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

Turtwig wrote: »
    Arghus that's the story of this pandemic. It's a dynamic volatile situation that's very sensitive to tiny changes. Hopefully they're wrong. Hopefully 6 weeks from now the UK will be able to provide us a reasonably complete picture of impact to vaccinated and unvaccinated cohorts.

Only time will tell.

The next 6 weeks are crucial.

Why was this potential delay to hospitality not flagged on May 21st when Holohan called it a "black cloud on the horizon"

In fact this is what he said then:

Nphet will keep a close eye on this as we move towards the end of May and consider the advice we need to provide to Government on any further easing of restrictions.

The variant hasn't had any effect here yet in terms of cases, hospitalisations and deaths.

Just 9 deaths in June and thousands vaccinated since. We’ll be grand. An uptick in cases is no big deal.

zackory wrote: »
    The next 6 weeks are crucial.

Why was this potential delay to hospitality not flagged on May 21st when Holohan called it a "black cloud on the horizon"

In fact this is what he said then:

Nphet will keep a close eye on this as we move towards the end of May and consider the advice we need to provide to Government on any further easing of restrictions.

The variant hasn't had any effect here yet in terms of cases, hospitalisations and deaths.

It’s WAY more transmissible but a slow burner apparently…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,862 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So was watching Sky News Press Review...and it went something like this....

“We start with the shocking news that over 1,300 Scottish fans have tested positive for Covid after travelling to London for the England v Scotland match. Gents, thoughts?”

“Who cares? Huge amount of the population vaccinated.”

“Yep, cases, don’t matter any more, it’s hospitalisations and deaths and the link with cases is broken.”

“Moving on to the next story....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

It’s WAY more transmissible but a slow burner apparently…

Scotland went from 1,250 cases to 2,969 in two days.

Would you call that slow burning?

• Advertisement

26000 cases in the UK today, doesn't seem to be any panic over there.

In case you missed it, Michael Martin called it slow burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,862 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cases. Nobody cares any more.

Who’d have thought cases would go up with a return towards normality?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Zebra3 wrote: »

We are still obsessed with cases here, there will be panic as soon as there's an uptick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Looks like they’ve accepted a certain amount of risk plus with every vaccination and case it brings them one step closer to herd immunity which now can’t be that far away for the UK

• Advertisement

mightyreds wrote: »
    We are still obsessed with cases here, there will be panic as soon as there's an uptick.

And again with every vaccination and case we too get closer to herd immunity. We’re not far away

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Seems we’re the only country in the EU not going to be implementing the Digital Covid Certificate tomorrow - an EU regulation (legal obligation)

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1410327006915485704?s=20

Allegedly due to the cyberattack…

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

Cork2021 wrote: »
    And again with every case we too get closer to impending doom. We’re not far away, the end is nigh

Fixed it for you

Seems we’re the only country in the EU not going to be implementing the Digital Covid Certificate tomorrow - an EU regulation (legal obligation)

The cyber attack is a handy blame option.

At Christmas blame the UK variant, now blame the as yet not causing any problems Delta variant and the cyber attack for the digital certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Just 9 deaths in June and thousands vaccinated since. We’ll be grand. An uptick in cases is no big deal.

We've broken the chain between hospitalisations and cases. This is over.

Time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Why would there be? Case numbers mean nothing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

I'd never heard of this TD until today. I was listening live, missed his name and party at the beginning of the interview and assumed he was an opposition TD. He's spot on. He's one of the rare TD's who are actually more in line with his constituents than his government colleagues.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/i-was-just-shocked-john-mcguinness-criticises-stephen-donnelly-for-bad-management-1218813

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The cyber attack is affecting our testing procedures so probably have an effect on the negative PCR and recently recovered sections of the cert
    maebee wrote: »
    I'd never heard of this TD until today. I was listening live, missed his name and party at the beginning of the interview and assumed he was an opposition TD. He's spot on. He's one of the rare TD's who are actually more in line with his constituents than his government colleagues.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/i-was-just-shocked-john-mcguinness-criticises-stephen-donnelly-for-bad-management-1218813

And yet he and his fellow gangsters will allow MM to stay in power

The cyber attack is a handy blame option.

At Christmas blame the UK variant, now blame the as yet not causing any problems Delta variant and the cyber attack for the digital certificate.

They've already gotten more fckung milage out of that hack, than most of us will get this year

Any news when the hack issue might be finally solved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Didn't Martin say the delta variant can "rip through" a population earlier on? And now he's saying it's a slow burner?

Honestly the communication from this government is utterly utterly farcical.

Zebra3 wrote: »

That's the exact line we heard last Autumn.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

UK today for reference

Cases: 26,068
    Hospital: +82
    ICU: +3

The cases are skyrocketing but everything else appears to be growing at a much more moderate rate

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Jake1 wrote: »
    They've already gotten more fckung milage out of that hack, than most of us will get this year

Any news when the hack issue might be finally solved?

Last update from early June they’d only decrypted 1/3 of the servers. So who knows how long it might take. Seems to have been an extremely bad cyber attack.

We’ve also been given an “unknown” status in the US travel advisories, because there’s such limited data.

This stuff actually has serious implications economically and socially. It’s not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Didn't Martin say the delta variant can "rip through" a population earlier on? And now he's saying it's a slow burner?

Honestly the communication from this government is utterly utterly farcical.

NPHET have that predicted in the now defunct model

"It is noteworthy across all scenarios that case counts rise very slowly during July 2021. However, the seeds of future growth are sown at this time, and case counts increase exponentially through August
    2021 until a combination of vaccine-induced and infection-induced immunity slows growth through September and October 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Cork2021 wrote: »

Think it's time for a stricter lockdown, if we do it now, maybe we can save Christmas

marno21 wrote: »
    UK today for reference

Cases: 26,068
    Hospital: +82
    ICU: +3

The cases are skyrocketing but everything else appears to be growing at a much more moderate rate
    244 on June 28th is the latest daily Covid hospitalisation figure I can find. England only, not UK.

Source: link towards bottom of this page:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

Last update from early June they’d only decrypted 1/3 of the servers. So who knows how long it might take. Seems to have been an extremely bad cyber attack.

We’ve also been given an “unknown” status in the US travel advisories, because there’s such limited data.

This stuff actually has serious implications economically and socially. It’s not good enough.

Tell me about it :(
    One of my kids is abroad and I havent seen them in nearly two years.
    If this screws up my travel I really dont know what I'll do .:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭Polar101

marno21 wrote: »

Works as designed, then - with the vaccines.
    But obviously there's a lag when it comes to hospitalisations and deaths from the growing number of cases. Hopefully they'll stay relatively low.

---

Pretty much everyone here are saying all the modeling is wrong, but I haven't really seen any actual attempt to correct it.

For me an obvious flaw seems to be that the models are assuming everyone's going to be infected with the delta variant, but that hasn't happened yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭amandstu

Polar101 wrote: »
    For me an obvious flaw seems to be that the models are assuming everyone's going to be infected with the delta variant, but that hasn't happened yet.
    Hard to imagine anyone could assume that could ever happen.100% of the population???

I must have misunderstood ,you surely?

Advertisement