Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It could be argued there is some value in learning from the past. But IMO this mostly isn't that.

I would suggest its bordering on obsessive and irrational behavior, not being able to move on, or adjust to changing situation. Which I assume why it so often lacks any context of the wider issues or timeline. I don't think its solely about COVID or Lockdown either. Its across a wide variety of topics and issues, you see the same behavior from the same people.

At the same time I wouldn't dismiss people issues. Its obviously triggering them. Even if I disagree with them. Sometimes its the straw on the camels back for whatever reason. Likely they've been impacted financially disproportionally.

You seem to be suggesting that lockdown ended when we lifted the 5km travel ban.

Hardly any other country in the world EVER had a travel ban in place.

So I guess we are one of the only countries in the world that locked down?

Of course, you are completely wrong and wiki is not a source.

Try the definition as per the Collins Dictionary. Collins Definition of a lockdown: the imposition of stringent restrictions on travel, social interaction, and access to public spaces.

You are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wiki is a source which I provided. We are still waiting on your definition of a lockdown, in relation to exact measures after multiple times of asking - but we can be sure it will be whatever suits your present argument. We can argue the meaning if the word 'stringent' and 'lockdown' until the cows come home.

But really, we don't need to. Because every time you are cornered into a specific point, it is shown to be false.

You have claimed "Hardly any other country in the country ever had a travel ban in place."

Please provide a source for this claim.

Because based on your recent posts here, I think it can be safely asserted you are making baseless false claims again.

More examples could be provided, but this is sufficient to demonstrate you are making stuff up again.

This is the UK:

This is France:

Spain:

On 29 March, it was announced that, beginning the following day, all non-essential workers were ordered to remain at home for the next 14 days.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

People need to account for their actions, especially when those actions involved suppressed the civil liberties of an entire country, and we need to ensure that history doesn't repeat itself.

It's good to keep the madness fresh in the collective conscience so that people can see how foolish and judgemental they were during "the covid"... #forusall and all that rubbish.

Never mentioned China. I just don't see cinema's not being open as extreme daily hardship. Obviously you do.

• Advertisement

Irish "lockdown" and travel restrictions is like calling a sieve a bucket. and likewise doesn't hold water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Even with the "easing", the rules are still pretty ridiculous. But now they wont let you die on the street if you don't have a negative pcr test. They'll still lock you up against your will if you test positive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Of all the personality types on this thread that one was among the best, top 5 for sure

Well isn't that argument. I'm not going to die or get seriously ill. So the precautions and lockdown are irrelevant to me. So I'll ignore them.

AFAIK (and I'm open to correction) they didn't prioritize older people. They prioritized workers. They don't want anything to effect output. So they don't want it sweeping through factories etc. But Ironically what they've done has had a greater impact on output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

“Not being able to move on” says one of the most prolific posters on the thread.

Well it was either this of the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Thats a good description of what Irish lockdown restrictions turned into over time.

The biggest problem with Irish lockdowns at times the rules for the various different restrictions were at best incoherent and at times unenforceable for various different reasons.

While lockdowns and restrictions were definitely required however they were at times contradictory and make no sense. Over time they lost public support and a substantial and increasing portion of the population just stopped obeying them. The gardai aren't and weren't big enough and times not empowerd enough to fully enforce them.

The thing that needs to learnt most from Irelands experience is what we're the post effective and enforceable restrictions. The China, Australia, New Zealand methods are a non runner for various different legal, economic and geographic reasons. While I appreciate at the time they couldn't wait months to test and study every option. Post pandemic the various rules need to be studied as part of an academic review to inform future crisis responses.

It's also important to remember depending on your job and lifestyle everyone's life was impacted very differently by the different levels of restrictions. For some people restrictions resulted in minimal impact and for others their life was put on told for the guts of 18 months. That's going to impact a person's view of the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭US3

More children under 12 have died of Strep A in the UK this week than from Covid in almost 3 years. Why aren't they closing schools ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why do you think they aren't closing schools?

Covid affected all age groups, in much higher numbers of severe cases, hospitalisations and deaths. As a bacterial infection, Strep A is much more treatable.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

We are just over strep. I had put it down as something viral so didn’t go see doctor straight away. I could have gone sooner in retrospect but this happened before it was in news. One child developed scarlet fever but everyone recovered very quickly when we got penicillin.

Main thing is that parents are aware and get seen asap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sitting here with strep throat myself.Well aquainted with it though, have had it multiple times throughout my childhood and life.Getting to the doctor tomorrow for an antibiotic tomorrow.

Those are all the reasons why they aren't closing schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Just got a text saying I've been in close contact with someone who has a variant

What's that all about now or how would they even know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fairly sure it's a scam, is there a link attached?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Brings you to a secure HSE covid page

Thought that was all finished or.how would they know who I'm in contact with

Could be a scam either as was suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Allinall

I got a similar text with a link to order a testing kit.

I ignored it, but it was probably genuine.

I presume that’s where they get most of the positive numbers from.

If you want to take COVID sick leave and the payment you have to report it to hse and get the text back. I'd say that's where some of it is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

One of the last hangouts has finally (half) been dropped.

Bavaria removed its FFP2 mask mandate for local public transport on the 10th December. I was there, and compliance was about 80 - 90%, dropping to about 50 - 60% when the mandate went. However it was notable that people would still mask up if old people were around.

They still are keeping the FFP2 mask mandate for long distance trains though.

https://www.muenchen.de/en/stories/current-corona-situation-munich-what-rules-still-apply

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yup, in the public sector we must submit positive antigens to the HSE for management to grant us Covid Sick Leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,702 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The COVID close contact texts are 100% scams, received 2 of them this week, the URL is the giveaway, something 'ultra dumb-phisticated' like www.ICantBelieveItsNotButter.hk/official_HSE_login

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Maybe already mentioned, but I returned from Estepona Spain early December. Full demands for masks on public transport. You will not get on a bus without one. Maybe changed by now, but they were taking no prisoners (or passengers!) without one.

Advertisement