Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Winter 2020 we also had thousands of cases a day when we had less testing capacity. We never had control of the spread.

The idea that closing the middle section in Lidl, making people pay 9 euro for a meal in a bar, closing gyms etc had any impact at all is laughable.

The best thing that happened for most people was catching COVID and realising how mild it is.

It got too hard for governments to justify restrictions when we had 20K cases a day and hospitals were grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

FYP

Catching COVID after vaccination, reducing the chance of hospitalisation and serious illness by over 90%

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Strawman argument. You are just demonstrating you are incapable of thinking of a number higher than 25,000.

First it was 25,000 cases. Now it is the vague 'thousands of cases'.

They weren't the only restrictions that were in place were they? So are you critical only of those or all restrictions? So why not say that? But no, you just keep it vague in a deliberate strategy to avoid being refuted and debunked.

Look at how you are shifting the goalposts away from my original post to which you haven't been able to counter its main points.

We didnt lose control. And thats not what anti restrictions people were saying all along. We limited the spread with restrictions until we had vaccines, better treatments, and also the virus itself changed when we opened up fully. The anti restrictions posters wanted us to open up before any of that had happened... before we were down the road and ready.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The infections rate of this is bizarre. I've had it a few days, line very dark.

My partner and her child, all negative (although they were unwell).

My son got it, asymptomatic.

Daughter negative.

Their mam and her partner, both negative. So out of 7 people who were around each other for a few days, only 2 people got it, and 1 (my son) is asymptomatic and only positive for 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

China relaxing restrictions according to RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

As the effects of actually passing this on to someone else seem to be rather banal, and most are vaccinated, and we're not clogging up Intensive Care, I don't really see the point of self isolation for the duration anymore. Maybe staying away from indoor crowded spaces / public transport would be the extent of it?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Unfortunately I think that is how I got it. Only people I was near was on the bus, and there were lots of coughing on the bus. I probably did myself a disservice by actually testing (as oppose to what most others seem to do, and just put it down to a cold).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Winter 2020 we lifted restrictions for Xmas.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hospital-numbers-covid-11-january-2021-5321678-Jan2021/

We didn't.

We briefly dropped to level 3 restrictions and permitted inter county travel for 7 days over the Christmas period.

Then went straight back to severe lockdown for another 6 months.

That IS dropping restrictions.

Cause and effect.

• Advertisement

... And they started lifting here...

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/81029-government-announces-phased-easing-of-public-health-restrictions/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c4876-covid-19-resilience-and-recovery-2021-the-path-ahead/

Please provide a source for your claim we were in a 'severe lockdown' for first 6 months in 2021.

And what is a severe lockdown v a lockdown.

Because it appears you are just making stuff up.

Lol! Google it

We had a 5km travel restriction in place all the way into April!!!

Construction was forced to close.

Are you actually trying to deny that we were in lockdown?

Oh brilliant, so after 4 months we were "allowed" move within our own county.

The absolute heavy restriction was slightly eased in April.

Retail didn't open until late May.

Cinemas, gyms etc until June

So yes 6 months of lockdown. And 8 out of 9 months of you include Oct/Nov 2020.

So not a heavy/severe lockdown for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The semantics here are unbelievable. Light lockdown, severe lockdown, whatever spin you put on it, people were denied their basic freedoms and liberties for the best part of a year in 2021. Yet, despite the impending avalanche of late/missed diagnoses, screenings etc., some are still on here defending this policy. Beggars belief.

How long was it then since you still have to wear a mask in a hospital or medical setting. ...

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Advertisement

I'm actually lost for words and have no idea what you are even trying to achieve here...

It was literally called Level 5 lockdown.

We were in it during Oct/Nov 2020.

We went back to it in Jan 2021. It was June before the likes of cinema's and gyms were even open.

Pubs were late July with restrictions still in place.

If we went "back" to it, as you say, we must have left it at some point.

Not my fault you keep contradicting your own posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

This is starting to remind me of the infamous “there are no restrictions as long as you don’t do the things that are restricted” guy. Good times…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

There were police checkpoints at the airport and inside the airport and you would be fined €2000? If they deemed your travel non essential. If you flew into the country you would be forced to pay €2000 to stay in a prison hotel for 2 weeks. Not a lockdown though.

We were not in Level 5 lockdown for the first 6 months of 2021.

'Restrictions' in place on pubs is not a lockdown, unless you use an absurd definition of lockdown to mean any restriction.

I asked you to define what was a lockdown, you failed to do so.

It's pretty obvious you made a false claim re: severe lockdown for 6 months which has been thoroughly discredited. Now you engage in vague use of language and shifting of goalposts between lockdown and restrictions. You can't keep your story straight.

According to this definition, we were in lockdown for 4 months in the period in question, until 12th April 2021 when stay at home restrictions were lifted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_lockdowns

I'm actually lost for words and can't believe how you are still trying to argue this...

Retail only opened on May 17th.

Cinemas and gyms etc didn't open until June.

Restaurants and pubs was late July and still had restrictions.

Youre making a show of yourself at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

What is the point in looking back? What's done, is done and can't be changed.

And what?

Nobody's disputing those dates for those particular sectors.

You keep stating this and that opened on such and such a date, all the while vaguely implying that meant we were still in lockdown.

What we're challenging is your vague use of any kind of restriction to call a lockdown.

You were asked to define a lockdown. I provided wikipedia definition of lockdowns showing Ireland exited lockdown on April 12th 2021.

Gyms shut is not a lockdown. Cinemas shut is not a lockdown. Vague mention of 'Restrictions' on pubs until July is not a lockdown.

You have repeatedly made false claims on the thread that Ireland was in severe lockdown for the first 6 months of 2021, then you shifted the goalposts to 'lockdown', without ever defining what that meant. This further claim is also false, based on the definition of lockdown as per wiki.

But a poster who challenges your false claim is "making a show of themselves"? Obvious attempt at bluster to make up for the absence of truth in your claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

More restrictions eased in china

• Advertisement

Well certainly each to their own in terms of what they feel is essential to their wellbeing and mental health.

But I seriously doubt the cinema being closed made anyone feel they were being oppressed worse than people in a police state, who were literally locked up.

Advertisement