Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,648 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I can and have posted the link about nearly 1 in 5 Americans suffering long Covid but you must not have read it . Happy to post it for you but thought you didn't want to hear anything about it and you don't believe in it ?

Classic shoot the messenger stuff even when nothing is demanded of you except to scroll on by if you don't want to hear it . Ir you can discuss it amicably and produce a few links to research that may or may not refute what I am saying .

All I get from that post is a lot of anger directed at me for daring to post research on a subject that is part of this particular thread . I am interested in it for my work , and make no apologies to you or anyone else for that .

Should I ?

Are we not allowed to discuss Long Covid?

What else drives some nuts here ..

Masks or the mention of them .

INMO if they suggest them

RTE news or any program on that channel discussing Covid

Any doctor or consultant who has the temerity to suggest that Covid is causing pressure on the hospitals.

Any public health or healthcare worker who says...anything at all Covid related

People on Twitter who are worried about themselves , their kids , Covid ( I can't understand why every comment is reproduced here if it annoys people so much )

Claire Byrne

Sam McConkey .

All scientists unless they follow the line of " be grand "

Covid 19

And the list goes on ...

If ye really think that posting some research about long Covid and it's very real effects is in any way trying to upset or control whatever ye do, ffs, you all need to take a look at how social media affects you .

I am only posting about an issue that I have interest in on a thread that is dedicated to the subject as are you , so if you are not interested in it anymore , it begs the question,

why are you here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yes here I am calling a spade a spade...

.... "and here we are" - The irony. Me talking about people who love nothing more than a fu**ing moan and trying to prove other people wrong then you post that complete with bullet points.

But I admit I am at fault. Its like going in to a room full of **** and calling them **** - no one is gonna say "you're right" so what can one expect.

Just to be clear this is addressed during many of the ( good ) studies and people are compared for pre Covid morbidity , risk factors , and other confounding factors .

The incidence have been found to be higher in older , less healthy individuals , with risk factors for diabetes, yes .

But what it was also found that people with no risk factors at all , no weight gain and mild infection were also developing diabetes , not just type 2 but 1 .

So yes it will be clearer as time goes on whether these are permanent changes or just metabolic issues settling down after the infections .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

People die and lose their family and friends all the time, always have always will. What is it about a Covid death that makes this utterly unacceptable in some people’s eyes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Irish Mickey on holiday. What could go wrong? No health risk there....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I disagree. There’s definitely a big health risk there alright. I might have over indulged in some wine. Not to mention the big fry I’m going to have this morning. Do you realise the internal damage to your arteries, heart and liver and the mutations to your dna that these mini breaks alone can do? They really should come with a health warning 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What is this rambling, meandering, convoluted stream of consciousness? You quoted my post but I'm not even sure that was intentional as I fail to see any clear response to the points I raised.

Let me reiterate my stance. I am not disputing the 1 in 5 long Covid statistic. You say I "didn't want to hear anything about it", "don't want to believe in it" - where is the evidence for this rubbish. I am simply stating that the definition of long Covid is so broad and all-encompassing that it includes such trivial, benign symptoms as a dry cough. So people post-Covid infection with a dry cough (not very serious, let's be honest here), get counted in the long Covid statistics - thus inflating the statistics IMO.

Of course there are more extreme long Covid symptoms, such as the diabetes issue you raised, but to try and portray the statistic of 1 in 5 long Covid patients as all being extreme cases (such as diabetes) is disingenuous. Many of those 20% will have much less debilitating long Covid symptoms.

As for the rest of your post, you go on a tirade which hardly justifies a response. Yet, each of us are entitled to post as we see fit. You are not arbiter on here. If you want a Covid circle jerk, you would be advised to look elsewhere as this is a discussion forum - we are allowed to discuss and challenge each others perspectives and views. That's why I'm on here.

You are not only wrong but way off the mark. My points are always considered and well thought out and backed by research or lived experience.

In response to your bullet points , I replied and you'll forgive me if I was a little irked by your rude " bolloxology " response .

You in your post that I had originally replied to said that symptoms were no more than a dry cough for a couple of weeks and all vague etc.

I merely pointed out that if you had actually READ the vast research on the subject you would know this is not the case .

Not going into it further as you refuse to engage civilly .

On the point about the 1 in 5 Americans suffering long Covid estimate , that was not in my detailed post about Covid being a high risk for Diabetes which is a different point entirely .

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://time.com/6190112/long-covid-prevalence-us/&ved=2ahUKEwjai4KDosv4AhXIWMAKHQ-DBPcQFnoECAwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0zsFgMoPID_Bfvj4JcLF5g

That was in reference to another posters denial that there was even such a thing as long Covid .

You are conflating 2 different posts about two different topics .

You are just anti science in your replies at this stage and looking for a fight which no doubt your toe nails or someone else on the forum can satisfy , but it ain't gonna be me .

I have said what I am going to say on it . Go away and Google it , or don't I don't care .

I have other things to do with my time than take abuse from people who can't engage in a civil debate.

So disappointing that this thread appears not to be for rational discussion anymore , but an echo chamber where the voices who shout loudest and most aggressively seek to push others who have something to say from the thread , without any decent attempt at producing a statistic or a piece of valid research to back their comments up.

Shame !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

What’s really shameful is the attempt to scaremonger and promote undue worry under the guise of science.

Your claim;

’Now research has shown that even mild cases of Covid 19 can trigger diabetes in people who otherwise are of low risk ie would be normal weight and otherwise healthy, by 40%’

is patently false according to the research you posted. It’s an overall risk increase and is weighted heavily according to severity in the acute phase of infection and inclusive of other risk factors including age, BMI, and comorbidities. Until there is research demonstrating that mild cases of Covid cause onset of diabetes in otherwise low risk people, over and above the expected in general population, then expect such claims to be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭Be right back

From what I see, people are no longer worried about it and have decided to move on with their lives. After all, two years is long enough to living with anxiety!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,648 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 38,045 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It will truly be over when the self isolation period ends or is massively reduced

On day 3 myself now and browned off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The guy who spent 2 years screaming for personal responsibility is only not going out infected because the government said he can't...... Beautiful.

I'm not going because I came of my senses

Yes it sucks and I'm down a bit of money but a lot of people worse off then me. Have to take the bullet and move on. If it was up too me I'd go but need to get past my selfish ways

Whatever you're issue is with me move on please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭VG31

• Registered Users Posts: 37,859 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Because it could have been avoided in lots of cases. Good practice at the onset of it in Italy for example. Ireland letting Italian rugby fans in here with the match cancelled, letting skiers come home and not isolate and letting people go to Cheltenham didn't help things. We had the opportunity to severely limit infection in this country early on but blew it with a bad government ultimately responsible.

I am not just blaming one party btw, the next government completely messed up at Christmas and the leader of the biggest party not in government went to a packed funeral in the middle of the early covid Lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,859 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It won't be over for another five years or so. At that stage scientists will have all the data they need to develop a proper vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Why is only the anti vaxxers that know people that got injuries from the vaccine?

Read on Ben Gilroy page.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

That requirement disappeared when the laws lapsed. There are no longer any covid specific laws remaining in Ireland.

Even the "requirement" to wear a mask in a pharmacy or healthcare setting is just a recommendation made to sound compulsory but with no actual legal standing.

Leave the house and live your life, you don't even need to wear a mask while doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Self-isolation for COVID-19 (citizensinformation.ie)

You should self-isolate as soon as you notice symptoms of COVID-19 or get a positive COVID-19 test result (PCR or antigen test).

If you get a positive PCR or antigen test, you need to self-isolate for 7 days from the date of your test or from when your symptoms started. Either of these are day zero when you’re counting your days of self-isolation. You can stop isolating after 7 days if you have had no symptoms for the last 48 hours.

If you have symptoms of COVID-19 but did not get tested, you should immediately self-isolate and continue for 48 hours after your symptoms end.

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, and you get a negative PCR or antigen test result, you should continue to self-isolate until you have not had any symptoms for 48 hours

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

They are only guidelines, not a legal requirement, even though the wording would suggest otherwise.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/covid19/living_with_covid19_plan.html

"All COVID-19 restrictions have ended. You should continue to self-isolate if you have symptoms of COVID-19."

The phrase "you should" does not mean "you must", again, it's the government trying to make a recommendation look like a law.

There is no legal requirement to self isolate.

I applied for the EIB but not confident ill get it reading Citizens Information

Doesn't say anything about Positive Antigen Tests

HSE website says different and is 7 days minimum for a positive result

Which bloody one is it ? so frustrating

• Advertisement

It's your call, leave the house is what I'd do as there is no legal basis to confine yourself any more.

The HSE website is trying to make a recommendation look like a legal requirement, look at the link I posted again, it clearly states "All Covid-19 restrictions have ended".

Advertisement