Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,103 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭prunudo

Didn't the council for civil liberties cast serious issues with how government bodies had worded covid 'rules' during the pandemic. Basically saying there was huge discrepancies between what was advised and actually law.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Absolutely untrue from you but wouldn't expect anything less than perversion of the truth here .

I said that that is what has been found in the research which if you read the Al-Aly one in the states is exactly what they found .

I mostly ignore you but you don't get to take my posts and twist them .

Generally yes it would be related on a sliding scale of illness severity , age , morbidity and risk factors , but unfortunately that is not what they found... and that line is a direct quote from the research , not from me .

Everytime anybody tells the thread anything that might not be palatable but nonetheless true , its scaremongering!

If you're that delicate maybe you or these poor easily scared creatures whomever they are shouldn't be reading it ..

Doesn't look like there are too many scared people here to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It’s quite interesting that we have the USA supposedly reporting 1 in 5 reporting long covid and in the UK they are reporting 1 in 38. Hmmmm…..

The mixed messages would really annoy ya

So it's my right too leave isolation and go back to my daily life as I'm under 55 with mild synthoms who really didn't need to be tested as I'm healthy ?

I done the antigen which came up positive and out of work since Friday morning. So would that mean I'm stuck in isolation no matter what til my 7 days are up because i done a test ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

You claim ‘that line is a direct quote from the research’. What line?

This one?

’’Now research has shown that even mild cases of Covid 19 can trigger diabetes in people who otherwise are of low risk ie would be normal weight and otherwise healthy, by 40%’

That is absolutely not what Al-Aly found and is categorically not a direct quote from their research.

I am not delicate. You are of course free to ignore me. But I do believe that sensationalist misinformation should be called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

The HSE can only issue guidance or recommendations, there are no longer any covid rules or laws.

There is no legal requirement for you to self isolate, leave the house if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

What if somebody came into work with symptoms? Where does a workplace stand regarding health and safety? I mean, there's no legal requirement to isolate. But at the same time if a workplace went against HSE advice and allowed someone to work infecting others. That is surely a liability for the workplace?

Paul Reid is stepping down.

I don't know, and quite frankly, I don't care.

As you said, there is no legal requirement to isolate as there are NO covid laws in force, employer liability is their problem, not mine.

Employers are free to set their own T&Cs for access to the workplace, they can force someone to stay away from work if they want, but they can't force them to stay in the house or bedroom.

Besides, no test = no covid.

• Advertisement

--

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

This is the problem now. Covid will wear pretty thin eventually with employers as the economy is gone to pot and employers as long as there are no covid rules will pretty fast change their minds about having people out. They can set terms and conditions themselves as ragrds this. Equally they may not want to and have people back onsite or cannot afford to! Like I said before I would have not have got a test only for my employer wanted to see evidence from the HSE via text otherwise I wouldn`t have bothered doing the test and do the minimum isolation. People forget there is potentially a lot of time off if a person gets this multiple times a year so how really tolerant are employers going to be of this. I suspect in future they are not unless some extremely dangerous version of this comes along.

As regards the health and safety question my opinion would be an employer could legally argue that there are no legal requirements only advice from the HSE (with no legal standing) so liability would not rest with them. But that's just my opinion. If there were legal requirements in place I am sure the employer could seek some supports from the state to ensure they can legally comply with them.

Trying to get pay from the social is a nightmare

Not sure will a positive Antigen test text be enough proof

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That's how it was phrased in that article .

Not a quote from the actual research , but from him , yes about the results ..

He is only quoted as mentioning a risk in this as 38% for those who are previously healthy with no risk factors , and mild disease.

This research while large in quantity is of veterans so are comprised mainly of older white males (although 1.3 million are female) they are not reflective of US society as a whole .

Diabetes UK issued this last January to its members ..

This does not have implications for the general public except those who develop long Covid and many of those will have other issues , not diabetes related. My op was sparked by posters who chose to deny that it was a real risk at all , and that Long Covid itself was not something we need to be aware of .

The fact that we don't have much data here in Ireland is for the same reason we don't have much data about many things Covid related and hospital related ..not funded, so relying on Prof Linnane and others who are running private Covid clinics to generate that data.

Of course it will limited to those patients who go to their doctor , are referred and if they have insurance or can pay.

Those in the public system will be scattered wherever they can be seen or get an appointment, so it will take years to collate how many are affected . Unless the different departments organise therefore the data if not the patients , to a central office studying and collating it .

The UK Office of National Statistics has collated very good ongoing data which is more representative of the population and are finding that 2 million so far are suffering from Long Covid generally , some for over a year , with that number rising, 200 , 000 in the last month from May to June .

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/infections

These are from infections pre Omicron mainly , and so far 50% less complain of long Covid post Omicron than other variants like Alpha or Delta .it is hoped that that will continue or improve , with the newer variants of Omicron .

By the way I am not ignoring you but I object to you saying I am basically making stuff up. If you continue in that vein I won't answer again .

Edited. Link not working

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

The whole messaging has been awful. I know workplaces have to follow HSE advice and that's anyone with symptoms shouldn't go to work. It doesn't matter about not testing. It's a huge liability on workplaces. But then there's no legal requirement to isolate either.

The way this country works, it'll take a test case in court to sort it out.

covid has become a "thing" now, and even though an employee having the flu or a cold was an accepted fact of life, and ignored in the workplace, especially with some employers expected people to come in while sick (no work = no pay due to there being no sick pay), covid is still new and I expect some people will try to cash in.

Yeah people will think twice now about taking tests in the sense of 'no sick pay'

7 days minimum been out of work even if you get a negative test in the middle of it

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

Hi All

sorry if this is asked 1000 times

what vaccine brand is being administered as the current booster for over 65s

Should in legal terms means an expected course of action or policy that is to be followed unless inappropriate for a particular circumstance.

But "expected" is still not "must", and because there are no covid laws in place, there are no legal consequences if you decide to ignore "expected" or "should".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Paul Reid is stepping away - major brain drain in the HSE. It’s not a good look following a pandemic that all major parties involved in pushing the policies of lockdowns, masks and endless booster vaccines are all abandoning ship. To quote Shakespeare, Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

A brain drain?! If he was replaced by a chicken would anybody actually notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Brain drain? The lad who's a former "cable technician" with Eircom? Basically a hatchet man insider brought in to gut the health service. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I disagree. It’s a job nobody wants. The HSE isn’t fit for purpose & seems in an even bigger shambles since Covid. They seem to want to cancel important testing and procedures in hospitals at the first sniff of Covid waves & ‘hospital cases’ half of whom don’t even know they have it, absolutely ridiculous.

Paul Reid was an outsider who was recruited in to try and improve it. He became a mouthpiece for pushing the Covid agenda and endless vaccines & boosters which I didn’t agree with. The worst scenario coming is an internal appointment, of someone who’s worked the HSE system and it’s their job for life. They will have no interest in reform or improvement or for their cronies either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Yes, nobody wants a job that pays €460K alright.

From his Wiki:

"From 2011 to 2014, Reid joined the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform as the chief operating officer. In this role, he had a leading role in the development, implementation and oversight of the government's reform programme across the civil and public service. His big project was to secure a saving of €1 billion in the second round of public service pay cuts, leading to the Haddington Road Agreement, a difficult proposition as ASTI rejected its findings."

As I said, he was brought in for one reason and one reason only, cuts to the health service. His latest decree before announcing his retirement was to go against the decision of the health minister and downgrade the emergency department in Navan hospital.

He has been a complete and utter failure in his role. Sláintecare is already dead on arrival. He was like a rabbit caught in headlights with the pandemic. Utterly unqualified for the job, no place running the 6th best funded health service in the world.

Are we getting closer to the peak with BA.5? Hospitalisations down slightly this morning. More discharges than admissions. Fingers crossed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I think the media coverage peaked about a week or 10 days ago, when we got the initial "surge" - if you could even call it that. All seems to be gone fairly quiet now again, mercifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Every time Paul Reid opened his mouth he came across terribly. It can only be a good thing for the HSE that he's fecking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭crossman47

There are no legal consequences but surely you have a moral obligation to avoid, as far as possible, passing what can be a nasty disease onto others.

• Advertisement

covid my hole, I'm not the kind of person you want to be around if you're trying to avoid it.

No one cared about colds or flus, why should covid be any different... just because it's the "latest thing" perhaps?

Advertisement