Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Thank GOD for that!

The same one who unleashed the plague? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I have rarely seen Dublin City as busy, where do you live, have you actually been outside lately?

The only reason it appears busy is because everyone has to congregate on streets as indoor activities with adequate spacing is forbidden

The only reason it appears busy is because everyone has to congregate on streets as indoor activities with adequate spacing is forbidden

No, it looks busy because it's busy, capel st and Smithfield are packed. Hang on to the doom and gloom though, the rest of us will have pints.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    No, it looks busy because it's busy, capel st and Smithfield are packed. Hang on to the doom and gloom though, the rest of us will have pints.

Good on ya

I’m surprised that those who are concerned about vaccine resistant variants that don’t exist would be frequenting crowded areas to consume pints

Good on ya

I’m surprised that those who are concerned about vaccine resistant variants that don’t exist would be frequenting crowded areas to consume pints

There's vaccine resistant variants? You should tell the government.....

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    The same one who unleashed the plague? No thanks.

I don't believe in a deity either, but there's nothing worse than a New Atheist bringing up an issue like this as if it were novel intellectualism.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Good on ya

Nice shifting of the goal posts there Fintan. But then again old buddy you do have a lengthy track record of doing that when it suits your agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭political analyst

Micheál Martin said 70% of adults in this country will be fully vaccinated by the end of July. I guess this means all adults will be fully vaccinated by September. Does this mean there'll be no need to wear masks in shops, schools and restaurants this Autumn?

. Does this mean there'll be no need to wear masks in shops, schools and restaurants this Autumn?

There will be no need to wear masks in shops, schools and restaurants this Autumn

That doesn’t mean it won’t it won’t still be a legal requirement to wear a mask

It’s very difficult to remove these laws, as of now they are enforceable until at least November 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Micheál Martin said 70% of adults in this country will be fully vaccinated by the end of July. I guess this means all adults will be fully vaccinated by September. Does this mean there'll be no need to wear masks in shops, schools and restaurants this Autumn?

Most likely but depends on the variants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

God I hope so, otherwise I might have to think about washing mine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

So two weeks since the first big crowds in Dublin city center, have we seen any increase in cases as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Klonker wrote: »
    I think the weirdos are the ones who agree with NPHET no matter what. They agreed with NPHET masks weren't helpful early on and now like to forget about that or pretend the science changed on masks.
    And now they agree antigen tests are 'snake oil' even though almost every other first world country is using them and are supported to use the by their health/science advisors. We will eventually use them here too but again it will be the same, posters here will pretend they were ever against them or pretend the science changed on them too. When we were hearing rumours inter county travel would not be allowed until late June/ early July, posters thought that was reasonable too. Then when that was surprisingly brought forward to May they agreed with that too!I'd actually have more respect for posters who thought we should of stayed in level 5 until everyone is vaccinated because at least they have a personal view on it instead of just agreeing with whatever they are told to od, no matter how much it varies.

No. The poster was correct in their summation. And what's noticeable is those who haven't moved an inch and still somehow seem to believe the tall tales they tell themselves and others as for example - about everyone agreeing "with everything with Nphet no matter what". But hey no matter.

Btw just one tinsy weeney thing about face masks. Scientific opinion did change. Most noticeably on April 30 2020, when the WHO quietly updated its website. In a section on how the coronavirus gets transmitted, the text was updated to detail that the virus can spread via aerosols as well as larger droplets. And it was from that date that advice from governments around the world started to change regarding the importance of masks in helping to reduce the risk of infection. They were first made advisory in May 2020 and later made mandatory on all public transport and subsequently in shops and shopping centres from August 2020 as case numbers started to rise.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/masks-q-a-who-has-to-wear-them-in-shops-and-what-happens-if-you-don-t-1.4324060

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

TheDoctor wrote: »
    It’s also 2 weeks since Tony’s shocked tweet at people out and about.

The massive spike in cases and overrun hospitals since then has been unfortunate.

He should be asked to comment on this. Explain why nothing appears to have materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

A friend got J&J and we were discussing it's efficacy against Delta.

Very little info out there. Some public statements that it should offer protection, but not as clear as with 2xPfizer 85% , AZ 65% or something like that.

Speaking of Pfizer and AZ, are those percentages about protection from getting Covid, or getting seriously ill from Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Personally I think the reason there has been no covid spikes from the groups in town on the canals and recently in city centre is that majority of them attending never cared for covid and already had it hence the immunity, they didnt just all stop caring for covid and head to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Very little info out there. Some public statements that it should offer protection, but not as clear as with 2xPfizer 85% , AZ 65% or something like that.

Speaking of Pfizer and AZ, are those percentages about protection from getting Covid, or getting seriously ill from Covid?

Very little info with Moderna vs Delta also.
    I'd assume it's the similar as Pfizer, pure speculation though.
    But J&J is a curious one. It reaches a much higher efficiency faster than AZ and that with J&J being a single shot vs Wuhan Strain. (I'll ignore SA strain)
    I believe Pfizer and Moderna, based on the same technology perform very close, but AZ & J&J, despite being the same technology, seem to differ immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭amandstu

Pretty sure it is the former (have been asking the same question on these forums myself) and the corresponding rates of protection for serious illness is a good bit higher ,although not 100%.

I am reassured on a personal level that mask wearing etc is considered to be actually more effective as a protection than the vaccines and I have heard that ,if scrupulously adhered to they could have stopped this pandemic in its tracks .

Of course we know that adherence is not 100 % and so vaccinations are a very good extra tool.

Hopefully we will look back at this and find silver linings

Apparently the Mrna technology (eg Pfizer)may have applications in other diseases and the group solidarity required,and hopefully learned over the past year or so may help us in the more serious and arduous battle ahead against climate change.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

amandstu wrote: »
    Pretty sure it is the former (have been asking the same question on these forums myself) and the corresponding rates of protection for serious illness is a good bit higher ,although not 100%.

I am reassured on a personal level that mask wearing etc is considered to be actually more effective as a protection than the vaccines and I have heard that ,if scrupulously adhered to they could have stopped this pandemic in its tracks .

Of course we know that adherence is not 100 % and so vaccinations are a very good extra tool.

Apparently the Mrna technology (eg Pfizer)may have applications in other diseases and the group solidarity required,and hopefully learned over the past year or so may help us in the more serious and arduous battle ahead against climate change.

It's funny to think back when the wearing of masks was not advised at all, remember?

I'd like to think that group solidarity will help with the task of combating the climate crisis, but the experience of the past year does not make me hopeful!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Are all test centres walk in now? Do I need to make an appointment or can I just show up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

amandstu wrote: »

The only protection more effective than vaccines is sealing borders as completely as possible combined with enforced quarantine for arrivals deemed essential. Some huge issues with this approach are that it required sufficient notice and swift implication, and it’s required indefinitely.

If by ‘mask wearing etc’ you mean restrictions per first lockdown then possibly that would be effective in the short term to stop the virus in its tracks. But then you need to either seal borders completely and mandatory quarantine indefinitely (impossible) or continue with restrictions per first lockdown (which didn’t include masks, but was successful at suppressing virus to tiny levels as it was deprived of hosts).

100% compliance of mitigation measures and 90% uptake of vaccine for herd immunity are no more than wishful thinking.

Vaccination is not a ‘good extra tool’. Enough effective, variant-resisting vaccines administered, coupled with expected continuing outbreaks managed by adept test and trace has become the only way out of this now (my personal opinion is that much of the reaction was overkill, but the current approach is reality, and thank f**k for vaccines).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There will be no need to wear masks in shops, schools and restaurants this Autumn

That doesn’t mean it won’t it won’t still be a legal requirement to wear a mask

It’s very difficult to remove these laws, as of now they are enforceable until at least November 9th

We can look forward to an outdoor Autumn

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's funny to think back when the wearing of masks was not advised at all, remember?
    To ensure there were supplies available for the healthcare workers who had to treat the sick and dying..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Are all test centres walk in now? Do I need to make an appointment or can I just show up?

Here’s a list of them and you can book online

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/covid-19-walk-in-test-centres.html

Good on ya

Fintan, yourself and your old mates on the restrictions thread love attributing extreme versions of what people actually said and arguing points never made. Why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Symptomatic Covid, their expected to be higher too with a higher sample size. Serious illness/death is likely 85% + for both.

Case numbers won't matter once everyone is vaccinated. It's very debatable that they matter now.

We are not at that point. They matter according to virtually every medical professional .

I have looked into it abit . In about 8 weeks or so the delta variant is expected to be dominant in Europe. Vaccination rates still too low in some countries.

https://twitter.com/WHO_Europe/status/1402918178943025155

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Looks like the indian variant is going to be rampant soon....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

The reason Israel is doing so well is because of low cases and high vaccination rates. I'd like to see similar happen here. It would greatly decrease the likely hood of restrictions in the future. More transmissible variants seem to be happening very frequently.

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »
    We are not at that point. They matter according to virtually every medical professional .

I have looked into it abit . In about 8 weeks or so the delta variant is expected to be dominant in Europe. Vaccination rates still too low in some countries.

https://twitter.com/WHO_Europe/status/1402918178943025155

Expected by who?

Advertisement