Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Floppybits wrote: »
    Will it be another black mark against Harris if he fails to get this seat for FG.

Harris is the golden child, all will be forgiven and he'll make a TikTok dance

Only opinion poll (AFAIK) shows FG on 27% and Labour on 22. Received wisdom is this would mean a narrow victory for Bacik, given how much more transfer-friendly she is likely to be than Geoghegan.

Watched them on the week in politics yesterday, nobody stood out, FF woman was very poor speaker and struggled to get her point across, they showed clips of the also running and let Barrat vomit his bile , guessing the studio panel didn't see these clips live as Geoghegan condemned them about 10 minutes later ,so someone must have had a word in his earpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Watched them on the week in politics yesterday, nobody stood out, FF woman was very poor speaker and struggled to get her point across, they showed clips of the also running and let Barrat vomit his bile , guessing the studio panel didn't see these clips live as Geoghegan condemned them about 10 minutes later ,so someone must have had a word in his earpiece

What's this about an earpiece?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Will it be another black mark against Harris if he fails to get this seat for FG.

If Geoghegan puts in a decent showing I don't think there will be many recriminations within FG; Government parties don't generally win by-elections.

What's this about an earpiece?

Geoghegan was wearing an earpiece, maybe some of the others were too but his odd hair drew attention to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Only opinion poll (AFAIK) shows FG on 27% and Labour on 22. Received wisdom is this would mean a narrow victory for Bacik, given how much more transfer-friendly she is likely to be than Geoghegan.

Didn't realise it was that close, I thought, given the constituency that FG were a shoe-in.

Geoghegan was wearing an earpiece, maybe some of the others were too but his odd hair drew attention to it

Sorry state of affairs if the people looking to represent us in government need to wear an earpiece so that they can be told what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

There's no debate about that for most people who generally vote SF or the smaller left parties. I can't see any downside for Bacik for the perception to grow that this is a two-horse race between her and Geoghegan.

I think the main downside for her is that there is the left vote is split and she can only hope she gets allot of transfers.

I would be more surprised that Boylan isn't in with more of a shout and i suppose it depends on how people on the left view SF.

I honestly don't know how they stand transfer wise.

Sorry state of affairs if the people looking to represent us in government need to wear an earpiece so that they can be told what to say.

If he'd condemned Barrat straight away when they'd come back from the clips I'd have thought nothing of it , the delay suggested ,literally, someone had a word in his ear, poor FF woman definitely didn't have one, you'd nearly think they weren't trying,

Calhoun wrote: »
    I think the main downside for her is that there is the left vote is split and she can only hope she gets allot of transfers.

I would be more surprised that Boylan isn't in with more of a shout and i suppose it depends on how people on the left view SF.

I honestly don't know how they stand transfer wise.

But the left vote is split anyway.:confused: If Bacik is perceived as Geoghegan's main adversary that can only benefit her by attracting transfers from other left candidates, no?

The phenomenon you talk about might actually have arisen if Boylan was perceived to be Geoghegan's main challenger. A lot of Labour/Green/SD voters would be genuinely torn as to whether SF or FG was the greater evil. But I don't see that being a significant issue for Bacik.

• Advertisement

Just seen this and thought it interesting if true. Bizarre choice/fit for the constituency.

https://twitter.com/Tupp_Ed/status/1412162794401714179

But the left vote is split anyway.:confused: If Bacik is perceived as Geoghegan's main adversary that can only benefit her by attracting transfers from other left candidates, no?

The phenomenon you talk about might actually have arisen if Boylan was perceived to be Geoghegan's main challenger. A lot of Labour/Green/SD voters would be genuinely torn as to whether SF or FG was the greater evil. But I don't see that being a significant issue for Bacik.

Well its why i posed the question as i wasnt sure how transfer toxic SF would be to the left compared to Bacik.

Just seen this and thought it interesting if true. Bizarre choice/fit for the constituency.

Not the only one who has shifted around to find a constituency, i believe this is Bacik's third constituency and Boylan shifted to this one as well.

For the FG supporters an article by Mulally might be seen as a boon for them, she would definitely not have the same political beliefs as their core voter and the more attacks on them from people with her politics could be seen as the bette

I don't understand though why they didn't run with Kate O'Connell, not because she is female but compared to Geoghegan she was a much stronger candidate.

Shows you how crappy the candidates are that for the most part its who is you would least likely vote for and relying on tribalism to get you across the line.

It's true but I don't think it's as big a deal as yer man makes out.

According to the Phoenix

He told Goldhawk that he does not share Lucinda’s views on abortion, which were chief among her reasons for leaving FG and forming a new party. Asked why he did leave, Geoghegan said, “I was a Lucinda man” and he wanted to keep supporting her. He also said that he wasn’t sure if he had ever been a member of Renua or not. Either way, he was a key member of Creighton’s backroom staff when the party was formed until he left after the 2016 general election.
    https://www.thephoenix.ie/2021/04/james-geoghegan-for-eoghan-murphys-seat/

Not the only one who has shifted around to find a constituency, i believe this is Bacik's third constituency and Boylan shifted to this one as well.

For the FG supporters an article by Mulally might be seen as a boon for them, she would definitely not have the same political beliefs as their core voter and the more attacks on them from people with her politics could be seen as the bette

I don't understand though why they didn't run with Kate O'Connell, not because she is female but compared to Geoghegan she was a much stronger candidate.

Shows you how crappy the candidates are that for the most part its who is you would least likely vote for and relying on tribalism to get you across the line.

I get the shifting bit.
    Just amazed they couldn't find a better fit.

It's true but I don't think it's as big a deal as yer man makes out.

According to the Phoenix

He told Goldhawk that he does not share Lucinda’s views on abortion, which were chief among her reasons for leaving FG and forming a new party. Asked why he did leave, Geoghegan said, “I was a Lucinda man” and he wanted to keep supporting her. He also said that he wasn’t sure if he had ever been a member of Renua or not. Either way, he was a key member of Creighton’s backroom staff when the party was formed until he left after the 2016 general election.
    https://www.thephoenix.ie/2021/04/james-geoghegan-for-eoghan-murphys-seat/

That's convenient, I couldn't possibly comment on my doubts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

If this is what you are talking about then hed have needed a full on wig to cover it....wonder who the voice was on the other end!

I get the shifting bit.

I don't get it either, must be some logic to it we aren't seeing. Either that or Leo is really spiteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Were they actual earpieces like the man in the next room kinda thing or part of their microphone or audio equipment? You would think they would be more subtle about it if it was the former?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Who is ahead in the polling, (not paying much attention tbh)

For someone who is not paying much attention, you are sure digging deep on Twitter to find muck to throw.

Sounds like the lady doth protest too much.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    For someone who is not paying much attention, you are sure digging deep on Twitter to find muck to throw.

Sounds like the lady doth protest too much.

Once again, the willful misunderstanding of how Twitter works. 'Digging deep'? :):)

Desperate for the cheap scores today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Didn't realise it was that close, I thought, given the constituency that FG were a shoe-in.

DBS is a FG stronghold and I expect him to win it easily but he is a surprisingly poor candidate to add to an already poor pool of FG TDs.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I wish the young would go out in this constituency and vote for anyone but ffg... start putting pressure on them for their farcical treatment of the young and appalling mismanagement of the covid situation

I get the shifting bit.
    I don't get it either, must be some logic to it we aren't seeing. Either that or Leo is really spiteful.
    DBS is a FG stronghold and I expect him to win it easily but he is a surprisingly poor candidate to add to an already poor pool of FG TDs.

Well he is the choice of the local party, that's generally how these things work. If the party leadership had rowed in behind Kate O'Connell she might well have ended up on the ticket but once that didn't happen it was always going to be Geoghegan. Party cumann often choose candidates whose appeal is a mystetry to outsiders and it usually works out ok in general elections but obviously it's more problematic in by-elections when the candidate needs to appeal beyond party loyalists.

FG keep embarrassing themselves calling out infamy and then having it embarrasingly pointed out that they are guilty of the same thing themselves. This time it's Charlie Flanagan at it. Caught out rapid (my teenagers would say) as Leo was when he had a pop about food parcels.
    Terry Prone needs to hold a class on looking before you leap.

https://twitter.com/egg__fried_reus/status/1412115564110155777

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

That shrieking harpy Kate 'we won ye lost, it must be hurtin' O'Connell?
    Gloating triumphalism over the abortion issue really turned my stomach when it comes that that clown.

She and Bacik are in regular competition for who can be the most unsufferable and unlikable purveyor of identity politics. I'm glad she's out in the cold where she belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Fann Linn wrote: »
    60000 at the Austran Grand Prix today and our crowd wetting themselves over a few sheep pens in Kilmainham last night for a concert and 500 in Wexford for Leinster quarter final football match.

Australian Grand Prix cancelled. Any comment on that?

(The whinging opposition's Austro-Australia confusion continues.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

I read Lynn Boylan's cost of energy survey there. Safe to say that a good Junior Cert Civics project would have more intellectual rigour. It is a good laugh all the same.

Sneaky FFG. Not a chance they want to help people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai-m-X0ktS0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

FG keep embarrassing themselves calling out infamy and then having it embarrasingly pointed out that they are guilty of the same thing themselves. This time it's Charlie Flanagan at it. Caught out rapid (my teenagers would say) as Leo was when he had a pop about food parcels.
    Terry Prone needs to hold a class on looking before you leap.

https://twitter.com/egg__fried_reus/status/1412115564110155777

Return to normal? I'd say FF/FG/Greens are dreading Covid leaving the headlines. I await a series of 'but Covid' excuses as we return full attention to pre-Covid issues.

Advertisement