Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭corkie

Thanks for that, looks like after they where taken down by google, then surfaced again on Social Media in March.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-41369857.html

Hence his beef with Social Media. Horrible for him to be used in that way. But it is not like the average Mr Joe Public would be used in these scams, so wouldn't need to go to the courts to the extant he is.

As it is still a matter for the courts? Better to not go deeper into discussion here?

CASE WIN Major legal victory for Micheal Martin as High Court compel Google to hand over fake ad cryptocurrency scam details

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

The funny thing is that the scammers would have thought that Irish people would have taken the word of an FFer on investments given the whole Celtic Tiger thing. :) This is just background noise to the use of Social Media influence operations. It is helped by "technology journalists" reporting on the issue being quite clueless and being unable to identify such operations.

The 2016 US presidential election and the whingebinge from opinionators about Russian sites was really funny. The vast majority were networks of Made For Adsense sites from Eastern Europe. They were variations on clickbait sites that are promoted via Social Media ads. (The BBC tracked down some of the people behind the sites and interviewed them.)

Influence operations have come a long way since the days of planting stories with a gullible journalist or two. Technology has improved such operations but targeting plays a major part of things now. In Social Networking terms, it is far more important to identify "influencers" who will propagate a message than it is to waste time on press release recyclers that few people will trust. The trust in the legacy media has fallen dramatically in the last few decades. This makes the identification of "influencers" much like the Cambridge Analytica approach important because people are more likely to trust people they know. If you need an insight in to the CA issue, Chris Wiley's "Mindf*ck" book is quite good.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Oxo Moran

How about Roderick O'Gorman? Two stories in as many weeks about at risk children being placed in private homes with unvetted staff. There was a time it would be a national scandal, but 'far right' etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭corkie

It maybe a statement about Palestine?

Couldn't find it on Gov.ie but tweeted by RTE account!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Probably a distracting tactic from the housing report and continuing refugee crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The guy who took down Cambridge Analytica, or one of the people had started his own company with others. He took out his competition

This is still active

• Registered Users Posts: 8,914 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep, publicity stunt. Can anyone tell me if Simon criticised Biden/Blinken for their stance with the ICC? I bet he avoided that one.

Simon and the other wise men are doing an early morning press conference on the opening date and final cost of the long awaited Children's Hospital. Stay tuned.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,771 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Harris wants to be on "the right side of history" he says.

With that statement alone he demonstrates Ireland's inferiority and insecurity complex once again as we strive for the approval of, and validation by "our betters", and his own need for approval by the social media set who are obsessed by this issue.

Personally I would be fairly confident that the vast majority of people here don't give a toss in all honesty. Don't get me wrong, most people will have empathy and sympathy for the innocents (on both sides) caught up in what is a long standing conflict, but we have enough problems here that Simon and co would be far better focusing on that grandstanding on the international stage.

Myself, while I likewise have sympathy for the victims on both sides, I don't get the obsession some have with this conflict. It's nothing to do with us, we have no say or input to whatever solution is reached. Neither side give a toss what Ireland thinks (those caught up in the middle certainly won't feel any safer or secure tonight when they go to bed), and the attention and focus on it by the media and Government here is frankly bizarre. I guess the Ukrainian conflict wasn't working as a distraction from far more immediate domestic issues anymore?

Listening to Micheal Martin on Pat Kenny about it as I type this and it's ridiculous. Kenny would be far better quizzing him about the immigration and tent city mess, the housing crisis in general, and all the other problems being faced by the citizens of this country that he and his colleagues are failing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭dmakc

Playing up to the blue haired brigade is all they're concerned with

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, my understanding is that he means when people look back at what is currently going on that Ireland didn't stay quiet and that we pushed for an end to the violence and a peaceful conclusion.

You seem to think it is better if Ireland says nothing and just hopes that everyone knows it's against this so called "war", which is just one country bombing the sh*t out of people.

The conflict might "have nothing to do with us" but we can still condemn it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,771 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've no problem with condemning it - although I disagree on the notion that hamas/Palestine are entirely innocent victims here. Both sides have blame and responsibility to share, and it's only the civilian victims on both sides that are the innocents.

My issue is the focus and attention it's getting from the Government and media. Something that is nothing to do with us ultimately and which we have no say about. It's an obvious and transparent attempt to appeal to the social media crusaders and distract from far more immediate and worsening domestic issues here.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭CarProblem

McDowell lays out the utterly shameful campaign of lies and deceit the government's referendum campaign was based on. Who'd have thought it - experienced legal minds knew better than the bluffers and incompetents in the government trying to sell the electorate a pig in a poke. I for one am shocked

https://www.michaelmcdowell.ie/irish-people-victims-of-campaign-of-concealment-by-government.html

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭CarProblem

The announcement will probably get loads of likes from lefty types on social media, none of whom will vote for the government anyhow.

Meanwhile most of the population will carry on with their lives barely taking any notice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

When you consider the fact that our economy is based on assisting global corporations engage in tax avoidance in nations across the world, you'd have to wonder what moral authority these people think we have…we are picking the pockets of other nations.

I'd imagine in diplomatic circles around Europe we are probably hated.

I don't think hamas/Palestine are innocent either and I never said that, but at the moment it's a one way war.

The attention it is getting is because it is significant event in the World at the moment, like it or not because of the likes of SF, Ireland is suddenly been dragged into this more than we would normally. The links with the US MNC's etc also mean it is big news here.

We can't, as a country, sit back now and say nothing.

People are obsessed with social media, we are a country with huge ties to the US, who are linked to Israel. We are also a country with links to Palestine because of SF etc. Nothing to do with social media

Honestly it was nearly 10 years ago since the tax loop hole was identified and has since been shut. We have a lower corporate tax rate than most countries and that is to attract countries to create jobs in Ireland. We have also tied the tax rates so those companies are no longer just a box office etc

Like most people who complain about Ireland and "tax avoidance" you don't really seem to understand how the system works

Europe does hate us because we take jobs which all of the rest of Europe would love to have.

If you want to hate your own country because we have made ourselves a successful economy with jobs for it's people and others by all means go ahead, when my dad was young he left school at 16 to go work on sites in England, is that what you want a return to?

I agree most peopel will carry on, but from a government point of view they have to take a stand. Simple as that

if they didn't Im sure the same people on here complaining they have, would be complaining they haven't

The "lefty types on social media" are usual the ones who never vote because it would mean getting off their device for 20 minutes, so I doubt the government give two f**ks about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,914 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

146 countries already recognise Palestine. We have added one more. I think the electorate will be very puzzled why this is Simon's #1 priority.

Will Martin go back over to inspect a small hole in an Israeli ceiling?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Lofidelity

Palestine is a useful distraction for the government. There's a hardcore of TDs and the public that are obsessed by Gaza so they'll get some kudos.

South Africa is also doing the same trick. A country run on corruption that literally can't keep the lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And worse still the South Africans ignore the ICC when it suits ala them allowing wanted war criminal, president of Sudan, into and out of their country despite an arrest warrant out for him.

They do shag all about the genocides in their own continent often next door to them, but are so exercised when it involves and old enemy on a different continent.

A bunch of chancers no more than our own.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭zerosquared

So who will our dear government ring in the newly recognised Palestinian state to ask for release of hostages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

More electioneering from the government:

RTE news : Asylum seekers to be means tested under new rules

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0523/1450763-asylum-seekers-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭zerosquared

even less incentive for them to find work and actually contribute to society

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The current situation is a pressure cooker…. And is going to blow sooner rather than later! I’m up near where the new refugee center was snuck in over the last 48 hrs in Carrickmines and the tension in the area is growing, someone could end up hurt… or even worse!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

With that statement alone he demonstrates Ireland's inferiority and insecurity complex once again as we strive for the approval of, and validation by "our betters"

What "betters"? This is opposed by all those countries people like to claim we are obsequious towards. The notion that Irish leaders are obsessed with being liked and deferring to the US, the EU or whoever else is, and always has been, completely nonsense. Claiming it is the basis of wildly disparate actions is just the height of ridiculousness and, frankly, seems to have a genesis in the very insecurity that is claimed inhabits our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The Irish people were intelligent enough aswell to see right through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Oxo Moran

Like the Hate speech bill and practically everything the government do, it was ill conceived and badly managed.

I do believe that senior politicians want to endear themselves to the EU for jobs after Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,694 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How can you means test someone who can't be ID'd, I mean if no documentation or fake documentation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭tom23

Id have to agree with ya… part of me the, cynical bastard part of me… they wanted to get in there before the shinners potentially did. Anyway Irish government for me are the like the 'David Brent' of Europe. Look at me… look at me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

you and lots of other people, based on nothing whatsoever apart from your own inferiority complex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The last part of your post is hilarious. Most of the posts that senior politicians go to Europe for are nominated by the Irish government, not the EU, the idea that senior politicians are making decisions based on a job in Europe is up there with aliens all around us conspiracy theories.

Advertisement