Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,146 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Monaghan winning an All Ireland would be unprecedented but you would still accept it Francie.
    Dream on for that one too lad :D

Nobody in Monaghan promising NEVER to do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Nobody in Monaghan promising NEVER to do it though.

:D:D:D good one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

But that arrangement hasn't been put to the test yet
    Also polls suggest a majority would return it
    So you are wrong
    We'll have another 500 to 600 days to wait and see

You are trying too hard Marine ;)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

You are trying too hard Marine ;)

The fact there is, that in order to test that arrangement, FF/FG/Greens have to put that arrangement to the people in the next campaign.
    But will they or will they lie again about who they will go into coalition with?
    If the electorate buy the lie again then they will get what they deserve. The decline in FF and FG's vote share from a high of 86% to just over 40% shows that more and more are moving away from them.

The fact there is, that in order to test that arrangement, FF/FG/Greens have to put that arrangement to the people in the next campaign.
    But will they or will they lie again about who they will go into coalition with?
    If the electorate buy the lie again then they will get what they deserve. The decline in FF and FG's vote share from a high of 86% to just over 40% shows that more and more are moving away from them.

polls so far indicate enough of the electorate would bring in T.D's that would return the current government and that the power envy party would be in opposition again
    5 to 600 days before we find out

• Advertisement

polls so far indicate enough of the electorate would bring in T.D's that would return the current government and that the power envy party would be in opposition again

No, that is a mis-read. Polls show that the electorate are happy with the present government at the time the poll was taken. That is all we know.

Will that be the same come another GE. Nobody, including you, knows.

p.s. you also don't know how long this government will last, if you think repeating the last sentence is some kind of a taunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Speaking on FF and FG like one unit shows a problem for their identities. Most of the support one would get to usher them in to government was that they weren't the other. FF win, FG lose or FG win FF lose.
    The fact that they had/have to join forces tells the electorate they'll do anything to keep others out. Varadkar said so much about SF the other week.
    I think this will damage FF/FG in the long run. In the least they'll be tied together in the mind of the electorate for some years. This will lessen the traditional bounce effect were voters would drift from one to the other.
    While we are likely to see one of FF/FG in the next government there's a strong possibility they'll be a junior partner.

Shebean wrote: »
    Speaking on FF and FG like one unit shows a problem for their identities. Most of the support one would get to usher them in to government was that they weren't the other. FF win, FG lose or FG win FF lose.
    The fact that they had/have to join forces tells the electorate they'll do anything to keep others out. Varadkar said so much about SF the other week.
    I think this will damage FF/FG in the long run. In the least they'll be tied together in the mind of the electorate for some years. This will lessen the traditional bounce effect were voters would drift from one to the other.
    While we are likely to see one of FF/FG in the next government there's a strong possibility they'll be a junior partner.

No more than the mess the DUP have gotten themselves into. The 'FF FG having to coalesce' mess is of their own making. Essentially it means the demise of one of them.
    Politics is changing for the better here. The toxicity of the power swap is disappearing. Which suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Why?

FG got a Australian visa for someone who should have gone to jail

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The only poll that counts is the General Election.

Here is the popular vote totals for FF+FG over the past 4 elections.

GE 2007 = 1,422,993
    GE 2011 = 1,188,986
    GE 2016 = 1,063,496
    GE 2020 = 939,904

You honestly think this trend will be reversed by the chaos coalition? ;)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Monaghan winning an All Ireland would be unprecedented but you would still accept it Francie.
    Dream on for that one too lad :D
    Monaghan has won 2 All Ireland's. The Monaghan ladies won back to back in 1996 and 1997.

GE 2007 = 1,422,993
    GE 2011 = 1,188,986
    GE 2016 = 1,063,496
    GE 2020 = 939,904

FG are currently doing what FF or FG did when they went into various coalitions.

They are setting up FF as the fall guys for this coalition. Wiser and smarter than FF?
    Can they maintain it when FG take the Taoiseach reins again or will FF turn out to be the real smarty's of the piece I.E.- allowing FG's leadership to be freshest in the minds of disgruntled voters.

Stay tuned!

GE 2007 = 1,422,993
    GE 2011 = 1,188,986
    GE 2016 = 1,063,496
    GE 2020 = 939,904

So in and around 850k next time,

FG are currently doing what FF or FG did when they went into various coalitions.

They are setting up FF as the fall guys for this coalition. Wiser and smarter than FF?
    Can they maintain it when FG take the Taoiseach reins again or will FF turn out to be the real smarty's of the piece I.E.- allowing FG's leadership to be freshest in the minds of disgruntled voters.

Stay tuned!

Ryan's going to get a few weeks at the end, sort of call the election for October and go on Summer recess leaving Ryan as figurehead

The next kerfuffle will be all the civil liberties arguments of vaccine passports for going for a sandwich. Showing personal health information to some youngfella on minimum wage will not fly.
    Maybe an app that shows a simple yes or no? But I don't know how that can be enforced.

I expect a lot of tax payer money to be spent before it's scrapped.

The next kerfuffle will be all the civil liberties arguments of vaccine passports for going for a sandwich. Showing personal health information to some youngfella on minimum wage will not fly.
    Maybe an app that shows a simple yes or no? But I don't know how that can be enforced.

Would be thinking someone's been given the wink for the App already, what's the odds it won't be compatible with half the phones

Would be thinking someone's been given the wink for the App already, what's the odds it won't be compatible with half the phones

Most likely. The important thing is there'll be a contract. We can worry about functionality after the vendor is well paid. I suggest somebody with absolutely no previous experience in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I don't like this route that the government is going down with extra freedoms for vaccinated versus the unvaccinated. It is asking for trouble creating a them and us situation.

Floppybits wrote: »
    I don't like this route that the government is going down with extra freedoms for vaccinated versus the unvaccinated. It is asking for trouble creating a them and us situation.

Agreed. You could maybe put restrictions on port arrivals but bar a 'Management reserve the right to admission' kind of thing the word 'discrimination' will be raised.

The important thing is we pay someone to put it together before we research anything.

Agreed. You could maybe put restrictions on port arrivals but bar a 'Management reserve the right to admission' kind of thing the word 'discrimination' will be raised.

The important thing is we pay someone to put it together before we research anything.

My problem with it is that in this country we have too many people all to willing to walk over people who are less fortunate or maybe don't subscribe to the group think. Some folks will be licking their lips at treating people like pariahs who have not been vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/red-faced-rte-admits-showing-ivana-bacik-tv-programme-before-by-election-was-an-inadvertent-error-40616724.html

RTE playing games may have a bit of a positive bump for other candidates particularly FG candidate if the polls are true is competing directly with Bacik.

Calhoun wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/red-faced-rte-admits-showing-ivana-bacik-tv-programme-before-by-election-was-an-inadvertent-error-40616724.html

RTE playing games may have a bit of a positive bump for other candidates particularly FG candidate if the polls are true is competing directly with Bacik.

The succession of indignation and anger from FG about an IT opinion piece on Geoghegan this morning is glorious to read.
    As yer man in Dad's Army used say, 'they don't like it up 'em'.

The succession of indignation and anger from FG about an IT opinion piece on Geoghegan this morning is glorious to read.
    As yer man in Dad's Army used say, 'they don't like it up 'em'.

The danger is in a two horse race people may pick the lesser of two evils and considering both of their past political backgrounds its hard to tell who is worse Geoghegan or Bacik.

The danger is in a two horse race people may pick the lesser of two evils and considering both of their past political backgrounds its hard to tell who is worse Geoghegan or Bacik.

Geoghegan is the one I would worry about getting in especially with his involvement with Renua.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Geoghegan is the one I would worry about getting in especially with his involvement with Renua.

Bacik is fairly dodgy as well going back to her days as SU president in Trinity and has done some fairly underhanded stuff in the past.

Its hard to tell which one of them has less skeletons in the closet. Also what Geoghegan does have going for him is that it looks like the IT article is written by Una Mullaly and her politics are not so objective.

Its going to be an interesting few days either way.

RTE is filled with rank amateurs. More nepotism gone awry than Machiavelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

There's no debate about that for most people who generally vote SF or the smaller left parties. I can't see any downside for Bacik for the perception to grow that this is a two-horse race between her and Geoghegan.

There's no debate about that for most people who generally vote SF or the smaller left parties. I can't see any downside for Bacik for the perception to grow that this is a two-horse race between her and Geoghegan.

Who is ahead in the polling, (not paying much attention tbh)

Will it be another black mark against Harris if he fails to get this seat for FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Who is ahead in the polling, (not paying much attention tbh)

Only opinion poll (AFAIK) shows FG on 27% and Labour on 22. Received wisdom is this would mean a narrow victory for Bacik, given how much more transfer-friendly she is likely to be than Geoghegan.

Advertisement