Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left job

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭hold my beer

h2005 wrote: »
    If you haven't provided a PPS number how can you be paid? I'd advise sending that today via email and then following up with a phone call. I doubt either Revenue or the WRC will get too excited about this before you've done that. I doubt the WRC will be too excited about this at all really.

You don't think the WRC would be interested in an Employer not paying an Employee for work done? Right!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

cerateau wrote: »
    I'm a student so I wouldn't be paying income tax.

Can you please point me to the rule that students don't pay tax? I know students that pay income tax and will be delighted to learn of the exemption.

If your assertion is that because you are a student and can only do a few hours, you will earn very little, c. less that €320 a week, they you will pay a tiny amount of tax. However your employer will pay Employer PRSI, which you will potentially to benefit from in the future.

the example of the week you referred to was 40 hours but may have been a college break or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I received no contract but that I was told I'd be paid every 2nd week and it's 11 an hour.

I will ring him but it's just awkward

Hindsight is 20/20, but realistically a lesson learned here is to get that contract before you even visit the premise on Day One.

For now, "awkward" seems a small price to pay if it gets you paid without having to go to the WRC.
    There's plenty more awkward once that conversations starts.

A call could get this resolved nice and easy.
    You get paid, and learn a few lessons for how best to deal with work situations in future.
    As someone else pointed out, responsibility works both ways. The same can be said for respect.

We’re you any value for those few days or were you just being trained up.

We’re you any value for those few days or were you just being trained up.

What difference does that make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Kerry_2008

What were you actually working as OP? And what duties were were excessive that caused you to quit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

You don't think the WRC would be interested in an Employer not paying an Employee for work done? Right!

From the OP, it would appear they started a job last week, didn’t like it, left without telling anyone. Paydate for the company is next week, so money may yet be forthcoming, although company don’t have the PPS number, but have bank details.

That wouldn’t even make it past the inbox of the WRC imo.

The boss may be a ball breaker, or just an impersonal person, but talk of wrc without exhausting all other means first is premature. OP should get monies due, but the way of going about it as described so far, has been unprofessional and immature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The WRC probably wouldn't be terribly interested to hear, 'I worked for a week, didn't give them the necessary information to pay me and submitted a complaint to you a fortnight after quitting without notice'. The OP would certainly get their back pay, but potentially a year or more down the line if his brief former employer decides to let the WRC process move to completion before making a payment.

The OP is entitled to be paid, but there is no way I could logically see that the WRC would consider the employer to be unreasonable (or the situation to warrant compensation/fining) with such a short period of time between leaving and submitting a complaint, especially when the complainant hadn't provided the employer with the necessary information to facilitate payment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

dontmindme wrote: »
    The OP has already told you that they are skint and you want then to write off a few hundred quid...like really?:eek: :rolleyes::cool:

OP you need to ring and talk to your employer and it also would've been better had you done this before deciding to leave.

EDIT: Also, going forward, five days is really not long enough to make a decision about a new job unless the conditions are off-the-wall unbearable.

I saw that a few hundred quid might be useful today, tomorrow or next week but it ain't gonna be much use when your buying a car or going for a mortgage talking about legal action over a weeks wages is a complete madness and ott. If the OP is that short on money in the short run then I would question why they left a job so soon after starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭SteM

Perhaps, after the employee has furnished the employer with all of the relevant details and still not been paid but not at this point in proceedings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭SteM

No, I just get irritated with lazy assumptions

Easily irritated it seems. Still no advice for the OP I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sing for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi,

I started a job very recently but have since left after finding a less stressful job.

I had worked there for only 5 days and hadn't registered with revenue yet nor did I sign any contract.

I have emailed my employer to say that I won't be returning to work and included bank account details in the email to be paid for the week's work.

The employer ignored my email and I sent a follow up email a few days ago yet no reply.

Where do I proceed from here?

I am a college student, skint at the moment, so I really don't want to let this slide.

Sounds like a mickey mouse operation, No contract? Wtf ????

What kind of company is it? You walked after 5 days? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭malkmoose

To move things forward, I would send an email to the employer with the WRC email in copy to serve as a witness. Provide them with you PPS number in the email and ask if they require any further information to process the payroll. Enable the "read receipt" feature for the email so you know they have received it (and keep it for your records).

If they ignore you after 1 week, then send a reminder and state you will have to involve WRC to resolve the issue if it is not fixed by the employer in 7 days. If they still ignore, then go down the route of involving the WRC.

Ignore all the anger towards you in this thread, people seem to be projecting their own issues/preconceptions - they don't know you.

But do take the advice to learn lessons from this and in future be a bit more organized and have a bit more awareness of what you're getting in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

I have worked in places where people have walked out after a few days and conversely where people have been let go after a few days - it happens and people can still expect to be paid for their time. Also not all jobs provide signed contracts before employment commences, its not a legal requirement to do so.

The OP, although wrong in his approach, does not deserve the stick he's getting here. He's obliviously young and in-experienced so cut him some slack.

@ the OP, this is fairly easy to sort - send them an email with your PPS number and confirm your contact details, if you hear nothing the you will just have to follow it up with a call. If after exploring every other angle and getting nowhere you can then go down the legal route - its just a bit of a nuclear option at this stage because as someone has already pointed out you won't be high up their list of priorities.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mloc123 wrote: »
    Personally I would cut your losses... but I would be embarrassed to start and leave a job within 5 days and even ask to be paid for those days.

I wouldn't be embarrassed to get paid for the work I did but walking out with no notice could be the excuse (valid or not) of not been paid. If you had explained the situation before quitting at least there would be no excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Employer cannot pay an employee if employee is refusing to give PPS. OP was asked if he had given employer PPS, OP stated No.

Fandymo wrote: »
    Employer cannot pay an employee if employee is refusing to give PPS. OP was asked if he had given employer PPS, OP stated No.

Well that's a bit different than refusing to give it now isn't it.

Also, an employer can pay an employee without a PPSN. The employee would be emergency taxed, and the Employer would not be able to file the details with Revenue until they had the PPSN. But there's nothing stopping them doing it. They'll hide behind the lack of PPSN of course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Deeec

Well that's a bit different than refusing to give it now isn't it.

Also, an employer can pay an employee without a PPSN. The employee would be emergency taxed, and the Employer would not be able to file the details with Revenue until they had the PPSN. But there's nothing stopping them doing it. They'll hide behind the lack of PPSN of course though.

An employer will not pay someone without a PPSN or details as they cannot file the payment with revenue without the number. No point in employer applying emergency tax if they cant file the payment. If employee wants to be paid they must provide them with the PPSN - simple to do. If they dont pay them after this then there is a problem. The OP doesnt seem to understand that he will have to possibly pay tax, usc & prsi out of their gross wage ( it doesn't matter that they are a student ). I think the real working world is going to be a shock for the OP in that you dont get to take home your full wage earned.

Deeec wrote: »
    An employer will not pay someone without a PPSN or details as they cannot file the payment with revenue without the number. No point in employer applying emergency tax if they cant file the payment. If employee wants to be paid they must provide them with the PPSN - simple to do. If they dont pay them after this then there is a problem. The OP doesnt seem to understand that he will have to possibly pay tax, usc & prsi out of their gross wage ( it doesn't matter that they are a student ). I think the real working world is going to be a shock for the OP in that you dont get to take home your full wage earned.

You're gone way off topic there. And employers do pay people without PPSN's, it happens all the time.

• Advertisement

You're gone way off topic there. And employers do pay people without PPSN's, it happens all the time.

How to they file these payments with revenue. Payroll files are now filed real time with revenue ie. when you make the payment. Very curious how this works with these employers. Can you let me know how to do this.

You pay the employee and as soon as they give you the PPSN you do the filing. I've had to do it several times, usually because the employee has provided an incorrect PPSN and I need to upload the bank disk before I get the correct PPSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

mloc123 wrote: »
    Personally I would cut your losses... but I would be embarrassed to start and leave a job within 5 days and even ask to be paid for those days.

You would be embarrassed to work for money?

Working for money? The horror!! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,757 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You pay the employee and as soon as they give you the PPSN you do the filing. I've had to do it several times, usually because the employee has provided an incorrect PPSN and I need to upload the bank disk before I get the correct PPSN.

This approach is no longer legal. Employers are now required to confirm the correct tax before paying the employee.

If they give you an invalid PPSN, they wait for their money.

This approach is no longer legal. Employers are now required to confirm the correct tax before paying the employee.

It is the correct tax based on not having a PPSN i.e. emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I received no contract but that I was told I'd be paid every 2nd week and it's 11 an hour.

I will ring him but it's just awkward and I think it's deliberate to ignore me like this

Just ring him ffs. Going through the process of getting the WRC involved will be a thousand times more awkward than a phone call

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

However irritated the employer might be, unfortunately he cannot not pay the employee.
    I have paid students for 6, 7, 8 hours, with no Pps numbers and sometimes they haven’t even given bank details. You simply write a cheque and tell them to come and collect it.
    It’s processed through payroll. If there is no pps provided revenue automatically issue a zero credit cert and they are taxed to the hilt. sometimes it’s the first job and the employee isn’t even registered with revenue. The paye/prsi/usc is paid over to revenue as usual, but won’t be registered to the employee until they provide their pps to the employer. It’s a pain in the arse to make the submission of the pps after the employee has left and I always have to check that it has linked up to the original payroll filing, but it’s part of the process.
    As many have said already, one is entitled to a contract but not immediately. Can’t remember if it is within 28 days or not.
    The OP might find the company will pay him on the day he is due to be paid. Perhaps they are used to people disappearing.
    OP is young and naive and possibly wasn’t paying attention to the guidance counsellor at school on how to behave when moving out into the world of employment.
    If he doesn’t get paid, he simply calls the company, asks to be put through to whoever does payroll and tells them that they’ve left, here’s the pps number and kindly pay me in the next pAyroll run.
    Threats at this stage are premature. See what happens first

100% agree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    However irritated the employer might be, unfortunately he cannot not pay the employee.
    I have paid students for 6, 7, 8 hours, with no Pps numbers and sometimes they haven’t even given bank details. You simply write a cheque and tell them to come and collect it.
    It’s processed through payroll. If there is no pps provided revenue automatically issue a zero credit cert and they are taxed to the hilt. sometimes it’s the first job and the employee isn’t even registered with revenue. The paye/prsi/usc is paid over to revenue as usual, but won’t be registered to the employee until they provide their pps to the employer. It’s a pain in the arse to make the submission of the pps after the employee has left and I always have to check that it has linked up to the original payroll filing, but it’s part of the process.
    As many have said already, one is entitled to a contract but not immediately. Can’t remember if it is within 28 days or not.
    The OP might find the company will pay him on the day he is due to be paid. Perhaps they are used to people disappearing.
    OP is young and naive and possibly wasn’t paying attention to the guidance counsellor at school on how to behave when moving out into the world of employment.
    If he doesn’t get paid, he simply calls the company, asks to be put through to whoever does payroll and tells them that they’ve left, here’s the pps number and kindly pay me in the next pAyroll run.
    Threats at this stage are premature. See what happens first

If you give someone a cheque, how is that taxed by revenue??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,757 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It is the correct tax based on not having a PPSN i.e. emergency

Not any more.

PMOD changed the rules.

Advertisement