Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left job

Options
  • 15-04-2021 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I started a job very recently but have since left after finding a less stressful job.

I had worked there for only 5 days and hadn't registered with revenue yet nor did I sign any contract.

I have emailed my employer to say that I won't be returning to work and included bank account details in the email to be paid for the week's work.

The employer ignored my email and I sent a follow up email a few days ago yet no reply.

Where do I proceed from here?

I am a college student, skint at the moment, so I really don't want to let this slide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Yikes starting a job without signing a contract! I assume it’s a small business or something??? Hopefully somebody can advise but it’s doubtful territory. I hope you have some sort of paper trial.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

you walked out of a job with no notice and no evidence of employment?

cerateau wrote: »
    Hi,

I started a job very recently but have since left after finding a less stressful job.

I had worked there for only 5 days and hadn't registered with revenue yet nor did I sign any contract.

I have emailed my employer to say that I won't be returning to work and included bank account details in the email to be paid for the week's work.

The employer ignored my email and I sent a follow up email a few days ago yet no reply.

Where do I proceed from here?

I am a college student, skint at the moment, so I really don't want to let this slide.

Dont forget to get your AL entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cerateau

godtabh wrote: »
    you walked out of a job with no notice and no evidence of employment?

You do not have to give notice if you:

Have been working for your employer for less than 13 weeks, and
    Have no contract of employment specifying a notice period

I do have some emails from the employer stating my availability and my start date. But yeah, I've nothing else by way of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭Deeec

If I was your old employer I would be annoyed that you just sent an email rather than phoning them to explain. I dont blame them for ignoring you. Did you give them your PPS number to register you as an employee when you started? They cant put you on their payroll without registering you with revenue.

• Advertisement

YellowLead wrote: »
    Yikes starting a job without signing a contract! I assume it’s a small business or something??? Hopefully somebody can advise but it’s doubtful territory. I hope you have some sort of paper trial.

I have some email communication but not much to go on there.

I would have signed a contract and registered with revenue etc. but I had only been there for one week and I was told I was getting paid every 2 weeks.

Should I just cut my losses her or can I threaten with the WRC even though I wasn't a registered employee ?

Dont forget to get your AL entitlement.

Yep defintely- OP may be entitled to a few minutes paid hols!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Should I just cut my losses her or can I threaten with the WRC even though I wasn't a registered employee ?

Personally I would cut your losses... but I would be embarrassed to start and leave a job within 5 days and even ask to be paid for those days.

Deeec wrote: »
    Yep defintely- OP may be entitled to a few minutes paid hols!

I probably sound stingy here but I don't support free labor and secondly, do you not think there was reason I left the job?
    (11 x 8) x 5 = 440 x 0.08 = 35 in holiday pay which isn't a few cents.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Personally I would cut your losses... but I would be embarrassed to start and leave a job within 5 days and even ask to be paid for those days.

What's embarrassing about asking to be paid for hours worked ?

It was a slightly above minimum wage job which was just not worth the stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

I would have signed a contract and registered with revenue etc. but I had only been there for one week and I was told I was getting paid every 2 weeks.

How about before you threaten them with the WRC you leave your student days behind, become an adult and phone them to talk to to them rather than rely on email?

Did you give your old employer your PPS no?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

SteM wrote: »
    How about before you threaten them with the WRC you leave your student days behind, become an adult and phone them to talk to to them rather than rely on email?
    At least with email there's proof of what was siad rather than he said/she said. But I'm no expert on legal issues, just know I'd always like to have some sort of back-up

The_Dave wrote: »
    At least with email there's proof of what was siad rather than he said/she said. But I'm no expert on legal issues, just know I'd always like to have some sort of back-up

Absolutely email first but follow it up with a simple phone call before you go about shouting about threatening with the WRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

mloc123 wrote: »

Why embarrassed? He worked the days, and doesn’t seem to be asking for anything more than that. Is this an Irish thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You should have thought about this before you WALKED OUT with even an acknowledgement that they gave you 5 days work.
    To be honest you need to take a very close look at how you view the world before you leave the college nest and head out into the real world.

You need to work on your people skills, starting with call them up, apologise for leaving them in the lurch and ask for payment, politely.

Your sense of bald entitlement, without any consideration of the employer, is absolutely stunning at such a young age.

As for the WRC, if they called me I would say who are we talking about here?
    Will you be hoping for free legal aid at the WRC, senior counsel, junior counsel, lawyer etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Allinall

You should have thought about this before you WALKED OUT with even an acknowledgement that they gave you 5 days work.
    To be honest you need to take a very close look at how you view the world before you leave the college nest and head out into the real world.

You need to work on your people skills, starting with call them up, apologise for leaving them in the lurch and ask for payment, politely.

Your sense of bald entitlement, without any consideration of the employer, is absolutely stunning at such a young age.

As for the WRC, if they called me I would say who are we talking about here?
    Will you be hoping for free legal aid at the WRC, senior counsel, junior counsel, lawyer etc

If they don’t pay the OP, then they didn’t give them a weeks work.

They robbed them of their services for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Orange Tiny Terror

Terrible work worship culture advice from some here. You fully deserve to be paid for the time you worked. You are also fully entitled to walk out without having to feel embarrassed about it.

Allinall wrote: »
    If they don’t pay the OP, then they didn’t give them a weeks work.

They robbed them of their services for a week.

He should phone them or call in to clarify what's happening. Maybe the person he's mailing is on holidays or off sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

your problem here was method of communication. I've noticed it with younger people in the work place, hiding behind emails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Jim Root wrote: »
    your problem here was method of communication. I've noticed it with younger people in the work place, hiding behind emails.

It's a business transaction, what's wrong with using email?

It's a business transaction, what's wrong with using email?

If I want something I'll email but if I have had no reply then I won't follow up with another email. I'll phone to ask why my original mail wasn't actioned. There's no hiding from it then.

Terrible work worship culture advice from some here. You fully deserve to be paid for the time you worked. You are also fully entitled to walk out without having to feel embarrassed about it.

The OP has said they did not register the employment with revenue. I have asked them twice did they provide their PPS no to the employer ( they have refused to answer this) - so I take it they did not give this info to the employer. How do they propose the employer pays them without a PPS number. Do they expect to get paid off the books - which is illegal?

He should phone them or call in to clarify what's happening. Maybe the person he's mailing is on holidays or off sick.

is it a he?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I totally believe the OP's story.

is it a he?

Does that matter in the context of the problem the OP is having? I made a judgement by using 'He', is that really what you want to discuss or do you have any advice for him/her/it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Ask them politely can you have the money. If they give to you great if not then leave it it's not worth the hassle for a few hundred quid at most. It might be nice to have the money in the short run but in the grand scheme of things it's fcuk all.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomasirl123

If I want something I'll email but if I have had no reply then I won't follow up with another email. I'll phone to ask why my original mail wasn't actioned. There's no hiding from it then.

Agreed.

Deeec wrote: »
    The OP has said they did not register the employment with revenue. I have asked them twice did they provide their PPS no to the employer ( they have refused to answer this) - so I take it they did not give this info to the employer. How do they propose the employer pays them without a PPS number. Do they expect to get paid off the books - which is illegal?

No, because I was never asked.

I will ask them for their tax registration number.

I just thought it would be easier for them to pay me the 400 euro directly to my account without having to register me with revenue then get on the payroll then terminate my employment. So I sent my bank details on via email.

I don't think it's cash in hand but either way I don't pay tax so ?

• Advertisement

I totally believe the OP's story.

Thank you for your input.

Advertisement