Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple officially announces special event for April 20: ‘Spring Loaded’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

picking up airtag, not sure why the :rolleyes:? iPhone's often have had a mid cycle colour refresh i.e. product red but that was in the launch window so...

More so because of the 2 year hype of the AirTags launch. Whereas the purple iPhone is a bit meh since it's on the market so long already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

DubDJ wrote: »
    Who's picking up an AirTag? Or a purple iPhone :rolleyes:

Picked up an engraved AirTag just now. Was gonna buy a keyring for it but I think I'll go third party for that. Apple options too expensive, unsurprisingly.

I ordered an AirTag with no engraving. I didn't get the chance to check them out in advance and this morning the store was offline. Other than initials I wouldn't have thought of anything either way :P

I'll skip the accessories too, pick something up from a third-party for around the €10 mark.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

[HTML][/HTML]
    I think I saw that this feature was coming to the older gen version so the update next week might enable it for older devices.

tvOS 14.5 when released next week will enable it as well as being the update that....(gives gasp of breath) finally enables Siri on Apple TV in Ireland. Only took them six years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I ordered an AirTag with no engraving. I didn't get the chance to check them out in advance and this morning the store was offline. Other than initials I wouldn't have thought of anything either way :P

I'll skip the accessories too, pick something up from a third-party for around the €10 mark.

I purchased without the engraving because I forgot about it so I’ve gone and re-ordered with the engraving. Hopefully I can cancel the first order soon haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There's Belkin options on apple that I picked up, €13.95 but at least a damn sight cheaper than the other options.

There's Belkin options on apple that I picked up, €13.95 but at least a damn sight cheaper than the other options.

Was gonna pick up that Belkin one but wasn’t sure if I liked it tbh. So gonna see if nice third party options for similar price range.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I was gonna grab a 4 pack of AirTags this morning just because.....

When i was at the checkout process i was thinking, do i really need these?

didn't bother in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Final Boss

eeloe wrote: »

I just don't see the point in them...yet. For me anyway.

If I lose my keys it'll take me a minute or two to find them. I know they have other uses, but they seem kind of pointless right now.

I could see them have some good business uses though.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Was gonna pick up that Belkin one but wasn’t sure if I liked it tbh. So gonna see if nice third party options for similar price range.

I was the same, just looked a bit cheap and probably made of rubber by the looks of it.

I bought one tag out of curiosity more than anything else. Just to give it a try and see how useful it is. I'll throw it on a keyring if I don't have any use. At €35 it's the type of thing you can justify by giving it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

I've ordered a set of the airtags - I had tiles and did get use out of them but the batteries dying and covid meant I didn't.

My self and the wife swap cars all the time so keys are a pain in the arse - especially when she leaves my keys in her car etc ... so a requirement for me. Also - when I'm out and about more one for the laptop bag, one for the wallet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

eeloe wrote: »

My wife is constantly losing the car keys for both our cars. And her Phone. And her AirPods. And her bag. And her lipstick. They can go missing for days.

My 12 year old daughter couldn't find something going to school this morning, and when I said that she should look after her things, she just replied "Well Mum can never find her stuff". All my wife could say in reply was "Well, don't be like me".

I bought her the Nut trackers one year for Christmas, but she actually lost the whole box before she even opened it, and we didn't find it until March. They were an absolute godsend while we had them on the keys, because we had to use them almost every day, but at some point the crummy nylon lanyards broke, and we never got around to replacing them and they fell into disuse.

So when Apple announced the AirTags, I immediately wanted them. But they don't come with any means to attach them to a set of keys by default, and the current cases are pricy. I'm waiting until the cheap €5 cases come out on Wish or Amazon to get them, but when I do, they'll see a lot of use in my house anyway.

Edit: Silly me, I should have checked: They're up already: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=AirTag&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I was the same, just looked a bit cheap and probably made of rubber by the looks of it.

I bought one tag out of curiosity more than anything else. Just to give it a try and see how useful it is. I'll throw it on a keyring if I don't have any use. At €35 it's the type of thing you can justify by giving it a go.

It’s properly priced I’ll give them that. Maybe a little lower would have been better. I bought one just to try it, they look great but I’m questioning how often I’m actually gonna need it.

It’s properly priced I’ll give them that. Maybe a little lower would have been better. I bought one just to try it, they look great but I’m questioning how often I’m actually gonna need it.

AirTags are a lot like insurance for say a car/home. You hope you never in an accident but if you are you're glad you have it.

€35 for an Apple product that isn't a charger/earphones is actually not terrible, can't believe I'm justifying it :pac:

I'm amazed they put an easy-to-source replaceable battery in them. I was expecting them to be sealed and "exchangeable" like the Tile was for a while (a disastrous idea, which is why I bought the Nut at the time), or rechargeable with a Lightning port.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Trying to think of four things to use an airtag for a single person

Keys, is the obvious one and a bag.
    Struggling to think of anything else.

^^ one for each shoe. Your cat. Taped on the back of an Apple TV remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

picked up the 4 pack with the belkin key rings. interested to see what comes in the way of accessories for animals, could be a handy one for the dogs collar.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    picked up the 4 pack with the belkin key rings. interested to see what comes in the way of accessories for animals, could be a handy one for the dogs collar.

Apple have specifically said they shouldn't be used for tracking kids/pets but I guess that's just to stop liability. Won't stop people building stuff.

This looks cool - https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1385327228339245058

Anyone with kids could probably put one in a favourite teddy to keep track if it ever gets dropped etc.

Leave one in the car so if you ever forget where you park you can track it down :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And the first thing someone who steals dogs will do is cut the collar off so at least you will find a useless collar.

And the first thing someone who steals dogs will do is cut the collar off so at least you will find a useless collar.

It's the same with everything though right? Stolen phone, immediately switched off, checked for activation lock (if they're smart), and moved on for a quick buck. Stolen car, parked up, striped for parts and into a container before you can check your GPS tracker.

These aren't really for the "ah **** my stuff was stolen use cases" although I can see it working. It's more I've dropped my keys, left my bag at a café etc. and you're hoping a decent human finds it and is able to contact you.

On the dog scenario I could see the dog shaking/scratching it off more so than it being cut off by a dog snatcher.

AirTags aren't going to allow you to recover stolen items of any kind, any thief is going to remove them. But dogs do get lost with out being stolen and they could be handy for that, so I guess some people are going to use them

I wouldn't actually put one on my cat, but where they actually would be very handy with her is in knowing if she is in the house or not, and if so exactly where she is. If we're going away for the day or a weekend, and we don't know where she is, we have to check the whole house to make sure we're not locking her into a bedroom or some-such before we close the doors. Being able to fire up the phone and find her under one of the beds would be very handy, or just knowing that she's not in the house - it wouldn't have to be a matter of finding her off down the road or over in the field.

What’s the story with them beeping if they’re away from you or near another iPhone? Don’t really get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

What’s the story with them beeping if they’re away from you or near another iPhone? Don’t really get that.

Stops someone tracking you.

It beeps to let you know there is a device that is tracking your location.

If someone hides one in your car or bag, it'll beep and alert you that it's travelling with you unaccompanied by its owner after a certain period of time. So it can't be used for secretly tracking someone.

If you give a lift to someone who has one on their keys, it won't alert you as it'll be travelling with the person it belongs to (assuming they have their phone with them).

If you give your tagged car keys to someone to borrow your car, and they have an iPhone, I guess they'll get the alert and the beeping. They'll just have to dismiss it.

If you left your tagged bag on a train, and it continued on it's journey, it's likely that it will alert another passenger that it's travelling with them unaccompanied, so even if they didn't spot your bag, there's a chance that once they are alerted to it, they'll contact you.

Anyone with kids could probably put one in a favourite teddy to keep track if it ever gets dropped etc.

Leave one in the car so if you ever forget where you park you can track it down :P

Apple Maps can does that and it works very well

Other have explained already that it's to stop its use as a malicious device.

Think it's a very clever solution and well thought out by Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Just ordered 4. Plenty of accessories on AliExpress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Not that I have a cat or a dog but just thinking the Airtags beep whilst in movement if away from your phone, so would this not drive your cat or dog mad?!

Advertisement