Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple officially announces special event for April 20: ‘Spring Loaded’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I have the same iPad. How do you use ssh using iOS?

You could always get the smart/magic keyboard for your iPad Air 4th gen and see how you go? The A14 chip should be plenty fast to test as a proof of concept? There shouldn't be a huge amount of difference in performance between the two, notwithstanding Apple's marketing!
    it’s in the post they use termius

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Anyone here completely replaced or is thinking of replacing their laptop for the iPad Pro ? Thinking of doing this, currently have 2018 Dell XPS 13 256GB 16GB . I was gonna try just moving to a iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard later to down the road.

I am fully immersed in the apple ecosystem and intend to stay that way.

What are your opinions on this?

I got a 2020 iPad Pro last weekend and, even at this point, realise that I will still need to keep my laptop. But like others have said, it really depends on what you use the laptop for. I need professional tools like Matlab, AutoCAD, DaVinci Resolve, etc. and these are not currently up to scratch on the iPad. You could happily work using with Excel, Word, etc. on the device.

The other thing I have missed so far is Steam. Haven't tried Steam Link yet, to be fair, but I can imagine it will be a lot more hassle than having the real thing available. Ditto for the limitations on what you can install, and from where. My day to day work often involves using very niche software that I simply cannot find in the App Store.

That said, the iPad beats any other content consumption device that I have ever used hands down. It is an absolute joy to use. It is now a pain going back to a laptop for any sort of browsing having used that beautiful slab. Herself agrees, and has taken control of it this week. I will have to buy the 2021 model on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Just got charged. Hopefully that means my stuff will be dispatched shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Got my AirTag delivered. Packaging is a lot smaller than I expected even though the thing is tiny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Got mines as well. Quite pleased with the accuracy of precision finding when you are within range of the device - works very well.

I got the Belkin keyring accessories and while it does what it promises, they must make crazy margins on those (it literally is just a metal ring and to small pieces of cheap looking plastic).

• Advertisement

Mine arrived. Simple setup. Will be getting more.

Only gripe is it can’t be shared. So if I put one in the car key, the other driver can’t see it. Maybe in a future air ware/software release. Will have to stick with tile for that unfortunately

OU812 wrote: »
    Only gripe is it can’t be shared. So if I put one in the car key, the other driver can’t see it. Maybe in a future air ware/software release.

Yep that’s a shame. I think it would be a pretty common request from households with more than one person though, so yes I suspect this is something they will be looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

OU812 wrote: »
    Only gripe is it can’t be shared. So if I put one in the car key, the other driver can’t see it.

Interesting. Do you have Family Sharing set up? With Family Sharing, I can see my wife and daughter's devices in Find My (iPhones, AirPods, Beats earbuds, Apple Watches, etc.), and they mine (and each-others). I would have expected AirTags to work in the same way.

Interesting. Do you have Family Sharing set up? With Family Sharing, I can see my wife and daughter's devices in Find My (iPhones, AirPods, Beats earbuds, Apple Watches, etc.), and they mine (and each-others). I would have expected AirTags to work in the same way.

Seems to work differently for AirTags. I just checked and while members of my Family Sharing can see my Apple devices in the Find My App, it doesn’t seem like they can see the AirTag I have setup.

(note I am not sharing the location of my devices, but they can still see them listed and get them to make a sound, etc).

• Administrators Posts: 53,650 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's quite a bizarre oversight.

• Advertisement

Yea, family sharing set up and can see all other devices. They can’t see my airtag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Looks like my Air Tags delivery was rescheduled. Here all day. UPS driver made no attempt to ring me ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I got my air tag this morning, the precision finding is great. Shame you can’t ping your phone from the tag.

The volume when you ping the tag is very low, is there any way to change this?

awec wrote: »
    That's quite a bizarre oversight.

It sure is. So it seems that the only thing Family Sharing will do with the AirTags is allow you to permanently silence the “unknown AirTag nearby” alerts for those belonging to family members.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/22/first-findings-with-apples-new-airtag-location-devices/

We've two cars and two sets of keys. But one isn't really mine and the other my wife's. Which car we take depends on what we're doing (one's a 7 seater, one is smaller). So for us, designating one set of keys to one person doesn't really make sense, as my wife is going to lose them both on an almost daily basis.

So she'll lose the keys of one car, take the other as they're the only keys she can find, and then I won't be able to use the AirTag to find the lost keys if they happen to be the ones assigned to her. Having everything assigned to me means that she won't be able to find the keys herself (assuming she can find her phone in the first place) when I'm not there.

They really didn't take my wife and her ability to lose everything all the time into account, which you would think would be their exact target audience.

They really didn't take my wife and her ability to lose everything all the time into account, which you would think would be their exact target audience.

Maybe Phill Schiller decided he wants to sell you 2 AirTags per set of keys :-) (which of course I agree isn't an elegant solution at all, but I guess for an important item which keeps getting lost it would do the trick)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dmn22

Got a notification from DHL that they tried to deliver my Airtags this afternoon but there was no one home? Surely it's not too big to fit in through a letterbox? And what about contact-less delivery? They normally leave the package outside the front door.

Anyone know what you've to do next with DHL in this scenario?

dmn22 wrote: »
    Got a notification from DHL that they tried to deliver my Airtags this afternoon but there was no one home? Surely it's not too big to fit in through a letterbox? And what about contact-less delivery? They normally leave the package outside the front door.

Although the actual packaging of the AirTags (set of 4) is rather small, mine actually came inside a larger cardboard box, similar to the ones they use for shipping iPhones.

By default I suppose DHL will attempt to deliver again on Tuesday, but you should have received a text message from them with a link to manage delivery options (some options might be disabled at Apple's request).

Mr.S wrote: »
    While I understand why they did it, having to buy a holder / keyring is annoying - Tile's built in keyring makes it a lot easier.

Tim: "But if we build in a keyring, we cant sell them a keyring"

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Also it seems you can’t search for the air tag from the Apple Watch, this would have been a good feature.

So far my reaction is muted due to poor volume and limitations to functionality

Vudgie wrote: »
    Also it seems you can’t search for the air tag from the Apple Watch, this would have been a good feature.

You can’t search your other Apple devices registered with FindMy either though, so it shouldn’t be a surprise. Or did I miss something and you can use the watch to locate other Apple devices?

• Advertisement

On the Apple Watch, even though the app has the same icon and Find My, it’s actually called “Find People”, and is tuned to find the location of people rather than lost devices (through the device that each person has set as the one assigned to give “their” location). So it’s probably not a surprise that it can’t find AirTags.

That said, there’s an opportunity in an Apple Watch app or function for finding your keys via AirTags, like the way you can ping your phone in the Control Centre screen.

I’m hoping that the whole functionality of AirTags will grow in time now that they’re getting real-world use. It’s one thing for produce developers to think “this is the way people should use it” - quite another for users to actually integrate it into their lives. A good product will evolve to fit the user’s needs.

dmn22 wrote: »

Similar happened to me. I was home though. But could not get in as it’s an apartment. I had to ring them and give them my number. So hopefully they will call me the next time like the rest of the couriers.

That said, there’s an opportunity in an Apple Watch app or function for finding your keys via AirTags, like the way you can ping your phone in the Control Centre screen.

That would be a good use case, but in practical terms I am not sure the Apple Watch hardware is currently good enough get the precise location of an AirTag or to get Bluetooth connectivity at the same distance an iPhone would in order to trigger a sound alert (even with the phone which has a better antenna and a more powerful Bluetooth transmitter the range isn’t that great).

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Ordered the 12.9 inch iPad Pro 256GB WiFi silver with white magic keyboard for delivery from may 21st

Nice surprise. After giving DHL my number. I got my Air Tags this morning. Now to get key ring holder. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shred

I ordered a set of 4 Airtags just there, they won’t be delivered until June 11th - 18th. I also ordered some of these: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B093GRMWT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_YG05NVAYAD6JR4FAFJJY @ €3:18 each and free delivery; they’ll do for the time being at least.

My wife is incredibly absent minded and loses things on a daily basis; one of these will be for her keys for starters (plus my own car keys)! I was considering slipping one into a pocket in my wallet too (assuming it’ll fit) with the last one tbd.

For those of you looking to save a couple of quid you can always try drilling a hole through your tags :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Your wallet must be huge to fit an airtag into it.

I’ve a normal bifold wallet and a card wallet and an airtag would go near neither. That being said I rarely carry either wallet these days and only really would whilst travelling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

iOS 14.5.1 out now to address greyed out App Tracking settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Only two apps have showed in the app tracking settings for me so far. Do I need to reinstall apps for the prompt to pop up? Have only got it twice for them two apps. Not sure how it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shred

Your wallet must be huge to fit an airtag into it.

I’ve a normal bifold wallet and a card wallet and an airtag would go near neither. That being said I rarely carry either wallet these days and only really would whilst travelling now.

Ah right, that’s probably out so. I only tend to bring my wallet when driving to have my license with me.

Advertisement