Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple officially announces special event for April 20: ‘Spring Loaded’

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

That will be the SSD more than anything. Does your iMac have a HDD or SSD? Might explain its sluggishness at opening apps. You can have all the RAM in the world but if you’re running on a HDD you’ll be waiting for apps to launch.

Yes, you're right. It's a late 2015 model 27inch iMac which has a 'fusion' drive, which I believe is part SSD and part HDD. I think they did these at the time as a compromise on the cost of SSDs and HDDs.

I hope to be upgrading to a new machine this year, although, I've gotta say, this iMac has lasted twice as long as my previous PCs and is still running pretty much perfectly. I'm hoping for a space grey 27inch inch new M1 or M2 iMac with a bigger screen, SSDs, faster processor etc.

But you know what? They're getting close to producing machines that don't need to be upgraded. I'd say that if I absolutely HAD to keep going with my current iMac, there's at least another two or three years in it. Maybe more.

Hard to imagine what could come along that would render these new generation of M1 iMacs obsolete in the next few years? Editing 8K video footage? Holography?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Had a play with a 24 inch M1 iMac in CompuB yesterday. Gotta say, the colours are MUCH nicer in person. Photo don't do it justice. They had a blue one out and it was gorgeous.

I tested out the camera and fired up a few apps - it was seriously fast. I have an M1 iPad Pro but really, there's nothing much you can do with it (yet) to show off the processor speed. But the iMac I played with was lightening fast at opening applications.

I'm on an old 27inch 5K 2015 iMac at home, with 26GB or Ram on board. It's absolutely fine for 99 per cent of what I use it for. But the Music app takes two or three seconds to open and is kind of unstable. It launched immediately on the new iMac.

I'm holding out for a bigger version as I just couldn't see myself going down in size, but as a consumer device and a machine for teenagers' bedrooms and home offices where people do light work, it's a smashing piece of kit.

I have been using it for a week and it is a very fine computer indeed. I still think the back looks nicer than the front which is a shame as mine is pretty much against a wall! But the front is fine as well :-)

I don't do anything fancy but it has been very snappy with anything I have thrown at it. Also while a lot of them are missing from the App Store and the experience is not perfect, it is a nice bonus to be able to run iOS Apps on an iMac.

As expected from Apple, the display is great. Combined with the surprisingly good speakers for the size of the machine, the very decent webcam, and the good mics ... I don't need a single external accessory. This makes for a very tidy and compact package and it is what I really like about it: cleanest desk I have ever had and I don't feel I am missing out on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

question in regards to the upcoming apple music hi res upgrade , ive got an old apple tv 3rd generation which has airplay (1) and an optical cable that ive connected up to my cambridge audio amp . ive set it up and its now playing via airplay , will it be able to play hi res/cd quality sound when the update arrives ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

peteeeed wrote: »
    question in regards to the upcoming apple music hi res upgrade , ive got an old apple tv 3rd generation which has airplay (1) and an optical cable that ive connected up to my cambridge audio amp . ive set it up and its now playing via airplay , will it be able to play hi res/cd quality sound when the update arrives ?

You mean AirPlay from your iOS device to the Apple TV which will send it to the Amp via the optical cable?

If yes, it should work up to CD quality as AirPlay does support lossless 44.1Khz/16bit (it already works with the likes of Qobuz and Tidal).

However Hi-Res audio won’t be supported as AirPlay cannot handle it (unless of course Apple is planning to upgrade AirPlay).

Bob24 wrote: »
    You mean AirPlay from your iOS device to the Apple TV which will send it to the Amp via the optical cable?

If yes, it should work up to CD quality as AirPlay does support lossless 44.1Khz/16bit (it already works with the likes of Qobuz and Tidal).

yes , thats how i set it up
    tidal have an offer for 2 months for 2 euro , just signed up and it sounds great , i have a good set of B&W speakers and a cambridge audio amplifier

• Advertisement

Apple Music teases Spatial Audio special event for June 7, scheduled for after WWDC keynote

https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/06/apple-music-teases-spatial-audio-special-event-for-june-7-scheduled-for-after-wwdc-keynote/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Shred wrote: »
    I ordered a set of 4 Airtags just there, they won’t be delivered until June 11th - 18th. I also ordered some of these: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B093GRMWT7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_YG05NVAYAD6JR4FAFJJY @ €3:18 each and free delivery; they’ll do for the time being at least.

My wife is incredibly absent minded and loses things on a daily basis; one of these will be for her keys for starters (plus my own car keys)! I was considering slipping one into a pocket in my wallet too (assuming it’ll fit) with the last one tbd.

For those of you looking to save a couple of quid you can always try drilling a hole through your tags :pac:

My tags arrived on June 2nd but the bloody holders were delayed...they'd made it as far as The Netherlands via DHL where they were stuck for a number of days (thanks Brexit!), I then got a notification from Amazon that they'd been delayed. I can only assume the seller dispatched new ones as the next tracking notice gave their location as Estonia :rolleyes: Balls to it anyway!

The tags work pretty well in the tests I've done so far however (iPhone 11 pro)!

Oh and I gave spatial music a quick whirl via iPhone/Airpods Pro/Atmos home cinema last night and it's pretty impressive (so far Drive by REM sounding the best, particularly through my home cinema); looking forward to checking more of it out.

Oh and I gave spatial music a quick whirl via iPhone/Airpods Pro/Atmos home cinema last night and it's pretty impressive (so far Drive by REM sounding the best, particularly through my home cinema); looking forward to checking more of it out.

i'm finding it very hit and miss . kraftwerk is the best ive heard so far , some of the hip hop is all over the shop

peteeeed wrote: »
    i'm finding it very hit and miss . kraftwerk is the best ive heard so far , some of the hip hop is all over the shop

I've just listened to a few tunes so far - no HipHop though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The drums in Buddy Holly just disappear for about 15 seconds at the 1:10 mark, I'm guessing a lot of these mixes were rushed for the launch.

Yeah it could be a bit of a mixed bag depending on how it's been done (I must read up some more on it). Much like movie HD/4k re-masters, I look forward to when the first music comes out that's been been conceived and mixed with spatial audio in mind (perhaps some of the more recent releases already have been?).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I look forward to when the first music comes out that's been been conceived and mixed with spatial audio in mind (perhaps some of the more recent releases already have been?).

Kraftwerk's 3-D: The Catalogue, while a live album, was conceived, recorded and released (on Blu-Ray) as a surround-sound album.

For some reason the track Autobahn isn't in Atmos on Apple Music, but the rest of the album is.

https://music.apple.com/ie/album/3-d-the-catalogue-deluxe-edition/1237436695

My tags arrived on June 2nd but the bloody holders were delayed...they'd made it as far as The Netherlands via DHL where they were stuck for a number of days (thanks Brexit!), I then got a notification from Amazon that they'd been delayed. I can only assume the seller dispatched new ones as the next tracking notice gave their location as Estonia :rolleyes: Balls to it anyway!

The tags work pretty well in the tests I've done so far however (iPhone 11 pro)!

The holders arrived out of the blue this morning! They seem pretty decent, they'll certainly do for the time being until better/more budget friendly options become available anyway.

Advertisement