Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minnesota officer shoots dead another innocent black victim

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

Nonsense.

Something has to change.

Clearly, but how?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Danzy wrote: »
    He probably will be an example to others not to act up when pulled over.

It may not suit a lot of rich white kids waving protest signs and screaming about solidarity.

Most Civil rights and meaningful societal change have come about after a period of people waving protest signs and screaming about solidarity.

But you can smirk and denigrate them because things are okay in your world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

karlitob wrote: »
    The penalty for not ‘complying with an officer’ should not be death.

the consequence of some one like this guy not complying can very well be death for the police officer

a .44 pistol will make a large hole in anyone

Overheal wrote: »
    You realize hopefully the comment you quoted is not in direct relation to this case, but rather the implicit biases folks evidently have in general that black suspects being detained by police are more likely than not to be gang bangers.

Overheal - do you think the Black community have any responsibility for the implicit biases (that you say even Black women hold against Black men)? Would you admit there is some truth in them, and they're not just completely unfounded and unrealistic concerns? The reasons for vast over representation of Black men as perpetrators in murder and crime statistics is debatable, but the fact remains true.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ckendrick wrote: »
    Clearly, but how?

I'm still waiting for someone to respond to post #287. i think you can probably guess what my thoughts are on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Ckendrick wrote: »
    Clearly, but how?

To really change anything in a meaningful way they'd have to look into the gun problem they have, but we all no that that will never happen, they'll never ever change their stance on guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,980 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Overheal - do you think the Black community have any responsibility for the implicit biases (that you say even Black women hold against Black men)? Would you admit there is some truth in them, and they're not just completely unfounded and unrealistic concerns? The reasons for vast over representation of Black men as perpetrators in murder and crime statistics is debatable, but the fact remains true.

It's always the black community that must take responsibility

Nobody attacks the white community when an incel shoots up a school though

Why is that?

Must the Asian community take responsibility for the coronavirus because of stereotypes about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Why is that?

Must the Asian community take responsibility for the coronavirus because of stereotypes about them?

Dumbest post I have seen today ,congrats

Why is that?

Dude. People blame white people in the US when black people attack Asians.

Why is that?

Because the Black community are shouting racism if people hold the "implicit biases" that Black men are more likely to be violent criminals (which the stats support). That's why they need to take responsibility - address the root cause of the stereotype instead of crying racism at every "implicit bias".

The comparisons you've made aren't valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

THe tread title looks more comical as time goes on.

https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/1382074361293762560

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

That's not the prompt at all.

When has the white community been told to take responsibility for a lone criminal? Doesn't seem to happen. Yet, every time we have one of these incidents involving a black man, it is always charged that the black community must police its own skin color - generally in lieu of any reform for the police.

You'd probably be startled to learn how very little of these ever inflating police budgets goes into training. Or not. Training is the first thing cut during austerity measures. Most departments (of which there is no national standardization) spend paltry amounts on training.

A 2017 study found that over 40 years, police budgets nationally went from $42B to $155B, yet training remained flat, folded under 4% of the budget for capital expense. Pay and benefits, militarization have all increased at a rate that far outstrips training.

do you think that might be because time which is required for training is a finite resource and more money does not equal more time

Because the Black community are shouting racism if people hold the "implicit biases" that Black men are more likely to be violent criminals (which the stats support). That's why they need to take responsibility - address the root cause of the stereotype instead of crying racism at every "implicit bias".

The comparisons you've made aren't valid.

Neither are yours.

Again, I've never heard of the white community having to take responsibility for some random criminal based off their skin color. Why is it only the blacks that must do so? Why is their burden of responsibility so broad?

Exactly, he says its always the Black community that are being told to take responsibility - that's not what I've seen! I've seen the white community constantly told to "check their privilege" and reduce their "whiteness". Its always the Black community that are made out to be victims and oppressed.

do you think that might be because time which is required for training is a finite resource and more money does not equal more time

You're trying very hard to ignorate yourself there.

Police budgets have all inflated over the years - except in the area of training, which has remained flat as a share of the budget. That's a crucial problem.

By all means happy to see if you have data showing that training has kept pace with the bloating of police budgets.

When has the white community been told to take responsibility for a lone criminal? Doesn't seem to happen. Yet, every time we have one of these incidents involving a black man, it is always charged that the black community must police its own skin color - generally in lieu of any reform for the police.

are you kidding ?

its the whole basis of the blm movement :confused::confused:

Neither are yours.

Again, I've never heard of the white community having to take responsibility for some random criminal based off their skin color. Why is it only the blacks that must do so? Why is their burden of responsibility so broad?

Are you serious? The white community are always told they have "white privilege" and should have collective guilt about slavery that occurred 100+ years ago?

Exactly, he says its always the Black community that are being told to take responsibility - that's not what I've seen! I've seen the white community constantly told to "check their privilege" and reduce their "whiteness". Its always the Black community that are made out to be victims and oppressed.

You're confusing the privilege check etc. wokeness, with whites being told we are responsible for some criminal or another because they are white.

Yet, the black community was told it needs to take responsibility for people like George Floyd and their criminal history before we are allowed to discuss meaningful police reform.

are you kidding ?

its the whole basis of the blm movement :confused::confused:

Which criminal am I responsible for now? I haven't been told I need to police my own white community etc. yet this is what happens to blacks.

• Advertisement

Good riddance. Scumbag.

The awl' habit of blaming the victims of police violence for actions which were not elemental during the encounter. Love it.

Does later finding out a victim has a criminal record justify their manslaughter?

The awl' habit of blaming the victims of police violence for actions which were not a factor during the encounter. Love it.

Where did I do that? I already said I think the police woman should be charged for gross negligence.

On a separate point, good riddance to a scumbag who held a woman at gunpoint. No tragedy here.

Where did I do that? I already said I think the police woman should be charged for gross negligence.

On a separate point, good riddance to a scumbag who held a woman at gunpoint. No tragedy here.

GF never held the woman at gunpoint. You've misconstrued your facts and you best go check them.

Good of you to celebrate a cop murdering someone because of something they did years prior to the incident in question. It has nothing to do with the cop killing them.

Does later finding out a victim has a criminal record justify their manslaughter?

No. I never implied that. She should be charged with manslaughter for negligence. But nor am I sorry he's dead - an absolute scumbag by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sheering

Nozebleed wrote: »
    why didnt he just comply with the officer?

Doesn't matter. You get arrested and charged for resisting, not shot to death.

No. I never implied that. She should be charged with manslaughter for negligence. But nor am I sorry he's dead - an absolute scumbag by all accounts.

I don't live in a country where we murder scumbags as a matter of policy, and I won't be egging it on when it happens.

Everyone is entitled to due process. This is not it. You celebrating his death is ****ing vile.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I don’t, mind you, spend much time on American politics by choice but nowhere I go can I escape it.

I don’t see people blaming blacks for black violence, by and large the claim is white supremacy is the underlying cause.

In fact the attacks in Asians in New York by blacks have been blamed on white supremacy.

Conversely when a white man shoots up a massage parlour it is also blamed on white supremacy even though his own notes showed he was sexually conflicted and he killed white people.

I mean the Syrian guy who killed ten people a few weeks ago was a white man for a while even though he also killed whites. You also notice that these incidents die off rather quickly when the narrative can’t realistically blame white supremacy.

I don’t get you at all. Why dominate a forum in Ireland about your own massively over-covered country? I mean aren’t there US forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The awl' habit of blaming the victims of police violence for actions which were not elemental during the encounter. Love it.

So he had a criminal record??
    Isn’t that the surprise.
    I wondered why he resisted arrest and jumped back into the car but now I see he had previous form. A violent criminal no less.
    The slight bit of sympathy I had for him has now eroded.
    Victim me arse. What about his victims?

GF never held the woman at gunpoint. You've misconstrued your facts and you best go check them.

Good of you to celebrate a cop murdering someone because of something they did years prior to the incident in question. It has nothing to do with the cop killing them.

Wrong. He did : "Defendant Wright then pulled a black handgun with silver trim out from either his right waistband or his right coat pocket and pointed it at victim and demanded the rent money"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9467375/amp/Daunte-Wright-warrant-arrest-attempted-aggravated-robbery-charges.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement

I have no idea what you are talking about. I don’t, mind you, spend much time on American politics by choice but nowhere I go can I escape it.

I don’t see people blaming blacks for black violence, by and large the claim is white supremacy is the underlying cause.

In fact the attacks in Asians in New York have been blamed on white supremacy.

Conversely when a white man shoots up a massage parlour it is also blamed on white supremacy even though his own notes showed he was sexually conflicted and he killed white people.

I mean the Syrian guy who killed ten people a few weeks ago was a white man for a while even though he also killed whites. You also notice that these incidents die off rather quickly when the narrative can’t realistically blame white supremacy.

I don’t get you at all. Why dominate a forum in Ireland about your own massively over-covered country? I mean aren’t there US forums?

"Dominate?" First day I've posted in 2 months, largely in this one thread, is "dominating a forum"

Well, someone needs a balm.

Advertisement