Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minnesota officer shoots dead another innocent black victim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

nullzero wrote: »
    What you are saying has no basis in reality.

This incident occurred when a mistake was made by the police officer in question. They did not set out to kill Duante Wright, and they certainly didn't do so because of his skin colour. The reaction of the officer from the body cam footage shows clearly that she did not intend to use her firearm.

This is a tragic event, but anyone stating that he should have complied with the police (which he should have) is not displaying a lack of empathy never mind being proud of such an alleged deficiency and you are well aware of how inflammatory and inaccurate that statement is in yet you choose to make it.

I asked you twice to provide evidence that Duante Wright was shot because of his skin colour and I'm still waiting for an answer whilst you fling accusations as preposterous as the above around with contempt.

And you can ask a 3rd time and a 4th time.

It is impossible to say definitively that race was the categorical motivating factor in Duante being shot. Looking for such evidence is a close to impossibly high bar because it calls for clear verbal or other irrefutable evidence of what is something which is mostly a mindset.

I'm not saying now, nor have I that it most definitely was race that was the motivating factor when the trigger was pulled but I am saying that time and again we say evidence of prejudice in how cops in America decide to engage with people and the frequency and manner in which black people are targeted and that that should not be acceptable by a publicly funded organization with the motto 'to protect and to serve'.

But, no, so many on here want to ignore that reality and not consider the presence of an ingrained mindset which treats some people differently than others as long as they can point to there not having been a specific and definitive racial expression.

But, here we are, going around in circles once again, by all means, suggest a government or police policy that would go some way towards resolving the violent issues America sees frequently or we can assume that you do not have any issue with them happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

And what about the non-woke?

Literally being proud of not having empathy, understanding or any sort of a desire to see fair treatment for people who do not always have it.

Seems a bizarre thing to be proud of, 'Oh, look at me, I don't give a fcuk about others, and I want you to know it'.

Lol.

Is that what you think the woke are.

Your post is what I am on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

There, I did it for you.

O brother, if we're talking about parroting buzzwords and fad nonsense, yes you certainly have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,371 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

And you can ask a 3rd time and a 4th time.

It is impossible to say definitively that race was the categorical motivating factor in Duante being shot. Looking for such evidence is a close to impossibly high bar because it calls for clear verbal or other irrefutable evidence of what is something which is mostly a mindset.

I'm not saying now, nor have I that it most definitely was race that was the motivating factor when the trigger was pulled but I am saying that time and again we say evidence of prejudice in how cops in America decide to engage with people and the frequency and manner in which black people are targeted and that that should not be acceptable by a publicly funded organization with the motto 'to protect and to serve'.

But, no, so many on here want to ignore that reality and not consider the presence of an ingrained mindset which treats some people differently than others as long as they can point to there not having been a specific and definitive racial expression.

But, here we are, going around in circles once again, by all means, suggest a government or police policy that would go some way towards resolving the violent issues America sees frequently or we can assume that you do not have any issue with them happening.

So you have no evidence to support what you're saying but the police are in your opinion definitely overtly racist so his being African American contributed to his being accidentally shot?

Are you suggesting that had he been white and behaved in exactly the same way the same accident wouldn't have occurred?

Or was it just a accident that the officer in question drew her gun instead of her taser and the whole incident could have been avoided if she had been more careful and Duante Wright hadn't attempted to flee the scene?

Glazers Out!

So you have no evidence to support what you're saying but the police are in your opinion definitely overtly racist so his being African American contributed to his being accidentally shot?

Are you suggesting that had he been white and behaved in exactly the same way the same accident wouldn't have occurred?

Or was it just a accident that the officer in question drew her gun instead of her taser and the whole incident could have been avoided if she had been more careful and Duante Wright hadn't attempted to flee the scene?

What I am suggesting is, that had he been white, he likely wouldn't have been pulled over in the first place.

And when you say I don't have evidence for what I am saying, what do you mean? Is the video of the cop telling the US solider that he should be scared for his life when getting out of his car not evidence of what I am saying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Fandymo wrote: »

13% of the population. But what % of violent crimes are this poor, downtrodden 13% responsible for?? The more violent crime you’re involved in, the more police interactions, the more chance of being shot.

If you are saying black people are more violent and criminal minded than white people generally, that is somewhat racist.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    O brother, if we're talking about parroting buzzwords and fad nonsense, yes you certainly have done it.

Cool response kid. You'll get your thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,557 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If you are saying black people are more violent and criminal minded than white people generally, that is somewhat racist.

It could also be true.

Danzy wrote: »
    Lol.

Is that what you think the woke are.

Your post is what I am on about.

I think the issue is what you think the woke are, or just how dominant you think they are in society.

If they are as niche, and irrelevant as you think, then why do you guys talk about them so much? I mean some posters here, it seems to be the only topics they talk about.

Every topic talking about progressive ideals in terms of fairness, sustainability or whatever even when supported by vast numbers of people is decried as being a woke agenda but when you guys are then called out for being regressive for being against those items then all of a sudden it's 'oh no, that's not what we mean by 'woke'.

Pick a lane.

Cool response kid. You'll get your thanks.

*tips fedora.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Even tho I have him on ignore I have to read his attention seeking crap because everyone keeps quoting and replying to him :(

JJayoo wrote: »
    Even tho I have him on ignore I have to read his attention seeking crap because everyone keeps quoting and replying to him :(

lol.

How would you describe your post? (I know you're reading this ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Are crime stats racist? Can facts be racist?

So, has anyone any solutions to help overcome the issues America experiences frequently or is everyone just here to say the same thing as was said below.
    Good riddance. Scumbag.

That's what I can't figure out, at least some of us see an issue or current affairs topic, and would like to see conversation on how to overcome it and more see the same issue or topic and seem adamant that nothing can be done/should be done.

Conversations on equal rights, fair treatment, sustainability, societal safety etc the same voices appear time and again saying it's just a woke agenda (but then claiming that isn't what they mean by woke) or that nothing can/should be done.

That's why I refer to such people as members of status-quo, they just want things to say as they are, so what if others are suffering, it ain't them.

Who compiles those crime stats, or does the arrests that add to those crime stats?
    Mostly Caucasian bean counters, cops, lawyers and judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,557 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who compiles those crime stats, or does the arrests that add to those crime stats?

And Ali. Don’t forget Ali. He deserves some credit,

Riiiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhhhtttttttttttt.

So, has anyone any solutions to help overcome the issues America experiences frequently or is everyone just here to say the same thing as was said below.

That's what I can't figure out, at least some of us see an issue or current affairs topic, and would like to see conversation on how to overcome it and more see the same issue or topic and seem adamant that nothing can be done/should be done.

Conversations on equal rights, fair treatment, sustainability, societal safety etc the same voices appear time and again saying it's just a woke agenda (but then claiming that isn't what they mean by woke) or that nothing can/should be done.

That's why I refer to such people as members of status-quo, they just want things to say as they are, so what if others are suffering, it ain't them.

To be fair TMH I think most posters are reacting to the by-passing of the discussion straight to the conclusion that white peoples racism is the only cause for this incident and other related issues.

Riiiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhhhtttttttttttt.

No, damn right!!!

Originally Posted by Fandymo View Post
    More white people than black people get shot yearly by the police. Are they racist against white people?

And you could do with brushing up on your group certificate statistical math skills too.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    To be fair TMH I think most posters are reacting to the by-passing of the discussion straight to the conclusion that white peoples racism is the only cause for this incident and other related issues.

I think that that is probably a consequence of this being another in a series of rolling events.

Note. I haven't said that 'white peoples racism is the only cause for this incident'. I don't think that it is.

But, I think there isn't a huge amount more to be said about the incident itself and so two days in, it's appropriate to be wondering how to stop these events from happening.

• Advertisement

I don't know if there are any workable solutions. Perhaps a vastly publicised nationwide amnesty to give up illegally held firearms and knives? Regeneration schemes in the most dilapidated areas? Better funding for schools in neglected areas? Quash all criminal records for anyone with a minor crime on their record i.e. vandalism, caught with small amount of weed etc. More community policing. Increased mental health budget.

However, you are still going to have gang-bangers pulling kids towards their lifestyle because they have money, girls, "power" etc. You'll still have a high percentage of black kids without a father figure as you can't force a man to stay with a woman. America is so vast that there'll never be a one size works for all solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,371 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

What I am suggesting is, that had he been white, he likely wouldn't have been pulled over in the first place.

And when you say I don't have evidence for what I am saying, what do you mean? Is the video of the cop telling the US solider that he should be scared for his life when getting out of his car not evidence of what I am saying?

I believe he was pulled over because of an issue with his vehicle registration plates. I would assume the police vehicle was using a ANPR camera and that flagged his vehicle to them.

Are you suggesting that ANPR cameras are inherently racist? Are the people who code the ANPR software racist? Where does the racism end?

As for you "evidence", I'm asking you about this case in isolation. It is the easiest way to get to the facts of this case as opposed to reading everything as a racist conspiracy by all police officers.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No but interpretation can be.
    For example, let's say that crime is 95% committed by people living in poverty.
    Now if 75% of crimes are committed by black people and 70% of black people are living in poverty, then saying they commit crime because they are black is racist because clearly they commit crime because they are living in poverty

GreeBo wrote: »
    Now if 75% of crimes are committed by black people and 70% of black people are living in poverty, then saying they commit crime because they are black is racist because clearly they commit crime because they are living in poverty

And that is assuming everyone that has the authority to make these decisions is on the level too. And obviously this is far from the case.

GreeBo wrote: »

There are a sizeable amount of white people living in poverty in the USA, likely more than there are black people given the huge disparity in numbers of white/black people in USA. Violent crime figures don't reflect that they are over-represented in violent crime stats. While they do reflect that black males are. What is your interpretation of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I believe he was pulled over because of an issue with his vehicle registration plates. I would assume the police vehicle was using a ANPR camera and that flagged his vehicle to them.

Are you suggesting that ANPR cameras are inherently racist? Are the people who code the ANPR software racist? Where does the racism end?

As for you "evidence", I'm asking you about this case in isolation. It is the easiest way to get to the facts of this case as opposed to reading everything as a racist conspiracy by all police officers.
    He was pulled over because he had an air freshner dangling from his rear view mirror.

Would they have pulled over a 65 year old white woman for the same thing?
    Probably not.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    He was pulled over because he had an air freshner dangling from his rear view mirror.

Would they have pulled over a 65 year old white woman for the same thing?
    Probably not.

No, he was pulled over for expired plates.

He told his mother that it was for air freshener.

I think the issue is what you think the woke are, or just how dominant you think they are in society.

If they are as niche, and irrelevant as you think, then why do you guys talk about them so much? I mean some posters here, it seems to be the only topics they talk about.

Every topic talking about progressive ideals in terms of fairness, sustainability or whatever even when supported by vast numbers of people is decried as being a woke agenda but when you guys are then called out for being regressive for being against those items then all of a sudden it's 'oh no, that's not what we mean by 'woke'.

Pick a lane.

Lots of "I think, you think, it seems, you guys".

You bring a lot of baggage and projection, which is quite common to the woke.

It's like any religion, some of ye will be ok, some will be deeply unpleasant.

Don't mind me, my family have a history of being bolshie to clergy, my grandfather threatened a Priest's life in the 30s for threatening him with excommunication over attending a Protestant funeral.

Danzy wrote: »
    No, he was pulled over for expired plates.

He told his mother that it was for air freshener.

Ah sure, everything is cool then. They will know next time not to have expired plates. Job done. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Death to all with expired plates!!!

Advertisement