Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing Megathread Part 4 - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

😮 I can guess it must've been very busy then! I was lucky enough to get one mid-week and mid-day (you sort of feel lucky in the first place to win the lottery in that you even get an appointment).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Randy Watson! *mic drop* I've maybe met two other people over the years who find that part hilarious in a surreal sort of way (like I do), the rest only find it mildly amusing.

Hope your test was negative. Or whatever you were hoping it would be. I'm almost hoping mine was positive so I would know once and for all that I've had it. Plus sort of hoping I'll get some sort of super immunity after three jabs and a mild illness, if that's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,185 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) today states that based on its advice, retailers are removing the Genrui SARS-CoV-2 Rapid Antigen Self-Test from sale on a voluntary basis pending further investigation. This follows receipt by the HPRA of over 550 reports in recent days from Irish consumers of false positive results associated with the use of this particular antigen self-test.

http://www.hpra.ie/homepage/medical-devices/news-events/item?t=/hpra-advises-precautionary-removal-from-sale-of-genrui-sars-cov-2-rapid-antigen-self-test&id=4dcb1026-9782-6eee-9b55-ff00008c97d0

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Ordered antigen tests from the HSE website today, dispatched this evening with a delivery date of tomorrow. Much better turnaround than I was expecting!

• Advertisement

Just got my PCR result - no virus detected. Well that's nice I guess but I still have symptoms. Now will have to see if spouse gets a positive or a negative. Should I just assume this is some other cold virus or take another test in a few days if I don't feel any better? Still have a sore throat that feels swollen, headache and feel dizzy all the time. I also get out of breath very easily and that's a bit weird. Annoying to say the least, I just want to feel like I used to before Christmas and the booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Does anyone know if HSE are still issuing close contact texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭DvB

yes. received one yesterday, despite the fact I already had a positive PCR on Jan 2nd and was already isolating.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The system is automated and completely depends on the mobile numbers entered by the person with the positive result.

Only person I know who was then called about it was a school teacher. They noted that he probably got it in school and wanted further detail

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

What happens if you give an incorrect phone number on the test booking system. How do you get a result?

• Advertisement

Well you won't get the appointment in the first place as it's text to you.

Book again

Activation code was sent by email and appointment created.

Ah. Did you go to centre yet? They check it with you before test

Live alone, woke up feeling very ropey with headache, shivering and weakness this morning, thermometer is 101.7. No big deal, I actually imagine it might be related to a wisdom tooth infection as I’ve had this kind of scenario last year.

I’m 60, live alone, and see they are insisting I need PCR rather than initiaL Antigen test. I’m too unwell to drive to a centre atm, even if I did manage to get an appointment.

So, I may receive criticism here by saying the only practical thing for me to do is stay in bed and get over it, and forget about tests. I actually have one Antigen test left over that I bought for testing ahead of social events. I’ll try that when I can drag myself out of the leaba.

This kind of circumstance not exactly thought out by the authorities. If I were under 40 I could simply get an Antigen test posted out. Illogical at this stage.

Yes got the test done. The number was correct their list. Who knows why the appointment text never arrived.

How long are result turn around times atm?

I've still got symptoms. It's been going on since New Year's Eve (if you don't count the booster after effects on Christmas) and only done PCR on Wednesday (negative). All attempts at finding antigen home tests have been unsuccessful. I ordered some online which should have been here yesterday but the shop ran out of stock. Otherwise feel fine but still have swollen throat and swallowing some phlegm (post nasal drip) gives me a bad taste in my mouth and sort of a smell in my nose. Also get out of breath easily and at times it feels like I'm not getting enough air. But that comes and goes. No fever, feeling slightly better though than a week ago. No idea if this is just some generic cold.

Antigen test negative; almost certain it’s a dental infection as jaw is swollen and painful. Same happened last year. Hate the dentist as I have very thick jaw bone which makes for extremely difficult anaesthesia.

I’ve been symptomatic since 1st Jan. Took antigen on 2nd and 5th both negative but had PCR yesterday and awaiting results.

OH no symptoms - done flowflex antigen test on 5th which was positive (mine negative). Ordered antigens off HSE and took one of their Siemens tests on 7th which was negative. Done flowflex test an hour later which was positive. Today (9th) has done HSE Siemens test which again negative and flowflex which is showing a very faint positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Did a PCR test yesterday evening at 5pm and got the results a few minutes ago. Not a bad turnaround given the pressure on the system at the moment.

To update on my other post - My PCR has come back negative.

Is it at all possible that the Flowflex antigen test picked up on whatever was in the booster? I just can’t understand what’s been going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Vaccination doesn't effect test results.

It sounds like that brand you used gave you false positive results.

There are a lot of brands out there and people assume they're all as accurate as each other. They're not.

Performance varies widely by manufacturer.

I must let my pharmacist know about the Flowflex tests. Very strange though. Strong red line last Wednesday and Friday and feint line yesterday. What the hell is it picking up?

OH had to take the result at face value though which means they won’t be back at work till next Monday. Here’s hoping this is all pretty much behind us soon.

Thanks, Martina 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

No idea which thread to put this in so mods feel free to move if there is a more appropriate one....

Wife had very very mild covid symptoms Friday evening, a bit of a sore throat... negative antigens until Monday morning so she went for PCR that morning. Last night confirmed positive on PCR.

I got a PCR too on Monday, having tested negative on antigen that morning. Positive PCR as well confirmed last night. Asymptomatic.

We are both boostered 2nd since second week of December (both 35), no underlying conditions etc.

Our 2 year old tested Monday night too. Came back this morning as negative. No symptoms.

Luckily we have no close contacts! We are all household contacts.

In terms of self isolation, am I right in saying for:

• my wife her 10 days counts as from when she first had symptoms, i.e. Friday and can potentially get out after 7 days (as boostered) if there are no symptoms / mostly cleared, which they have, by day 5 (today) and no fever, which there has never been.
    • for me, i have to wait until Monday at least, provided i show no symptoms and no fever, which there is no sign of as yet, i.e. 7 days cause I am boostered.
    • for my 2 y/o who is negative and has zero symptoms, as she cannot get jabbed she has to isolate for 14 days and take another PCR test on day 10 (if we are lucky to get one) and then wait until that result comes back and if negative can stop at day 10 but in reality its probably another couple of days and thus it actually becomes 12 days - but from when? I assume its from when symptoms first started for the wife which was Friday? The close contact rules for her state "They should do this from when they were last in contact with the person who tested positive." The bs rules here assume that positive cases self isolate - not sure how with both parents positve and a 2 y/o! This is the biggest pain as it means even though we could get out and about she is stuck in the house, so no childminder and us taking time off work for it etc.

Thanks in advance. The rules are a minefield and beyond frustrating at this stage.

New rules approved just now.

All 7 days for symptoms.

No symptoms and boosted. No isolation

Dunno bout kids

Thanks and had been keeping up to date yesterday and today on that. No real changes for the 2 positives we have and no clarity / update on kids close contact, particularly harsh when a cohort of kids are not allowed to be vaccinated but the expectation is they are kept at home for 2 weeks in a household contact scenario!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

If you've had Covid in the last month or so will an Antigen come up positive anyway, even if you don't "have" covid anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,185 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

With an Antigen test unlikely, by that point you should have stopped shedding the virus in your nose \ throat.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

Did you get any clarity on this at all? My two daughters (3 and 5) had positive antigens today. Their father and I got our boosters ten days ago. We have negative antigens. So are we free to move about unless we develop symptoms or have a positive antigen? Or do we have to restrict for 14 days as we are caring for children that can't self isolate? Thanks!

I rang the hse and suggest you do toonad my circumstances are a bit different and trying to work through bits and pieces of info on the hse site is a bit messy.

My 2 yo was negative but we have been told that as we have to isolate and cannot be apart from her that she needs to be at home for 14 days. I'm not entirely sure of our position but we are staying in with her anyway. I suspect we are free to go after our 7 days are up but not 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

One other person in my household who diagnosed positive for Covid on January 1st. I remained negative. However, I am now waiting for PCR results as I have symptoms . If I am positive, does this person have to be in a different room to me? There’s only the 2 of us here. Surely, there is no risk to that person for Covid for now as they have recently recovered- approx 3 weeks ago. Currently, I am in a different room but in this situation is there really any need??

Advertisement