Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing Megathread Part 4 - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Will also say the staff were super at the centre I went to.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭chooey

My little girl had to get tested at Ballycoolin this morning. Staff were all brilliant.

For anyone trying to get a Dublin test, keep refreshing and they are coming up. I only managed to get her booked in this morning and there was nothing available but they did keep coming up every couple of clicks and I managed to get her into first thing this morning after firstly booking in one for later this evening. They go so quick though it's frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Does a positive antigen test invariably mean a positive PCR? Looks like there's a fairly low chance of false positive antigen from what I've read online. My partner is showing symptoms and got positive antigen yesterday, assuming that means Christmas is cancelled 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Not always the case that a positive antigen test invariably mean a positive PCR. A PCR test would be the next step to confirm

- "Barely half of positive antigen test results confirmed by PCR testing

Average of almost 4,000 antigen tests carried out on close contacts since end of October"

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

if I get a covid PCR from a private provider (like Randox, Vida) and it turns out to be positive, do I still get a certificate of recovery even though it wasn't the HSE that did it?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I had a very faint line positive antigen test you could barely see the line but done pcr anyway to be on the safe side, subsequently done several other antigens while I impatiently wait my pcr results all have returned negative results. Of course I could have been at the end of infection when I got the pos test but pcr should show positive in that case but I have heard of quite a few false positive antigens. When these testing kits go through their certification process the aim is to find positive cases it probably doesn't really bother the certifiers much if the kits return false positives however false negatives would

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's also possible that they were false negative (too late) PCR tests. Even if the antigen tests are very sensitive, they cannot detect what isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Okay Im in a similar situation, I had my PCR test with Vida Care and they advised me to contact my GP with result.

Plus you can inform the HSE yourself, via email or through the HSE call centre.

I was told by Vilda Care this am when I had the PCR test that I will get my result back in 24hrs as they are using a different laboratory to the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

I had a negative antigen this evening. I feel like **** though getting worse since this morning, aches and fever. Prob not covid due to antigen?

what's the cut off time for them sending test result texts would they still send them this late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

9 is the official cut off, but I’ve had results at 9.15 and 9.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Manufacturers of antigen tests use a cohort of people that have symptoms and are suspected as having covid. Testing is also performed by trained professionals. It's easier to find positve cases in a population you suspect have the virus. It's shooting fish in a barrel. That's why manufacturers claim >95% accuracy.

These tests have poorer sensitivity in people with no symptoms, and is reduced when lay people perfom the tests themselves.

They are far more likely to generate false negative than false positive results.

However, false positives can occur due to interferences. Acidic substances like coffee, soft drinks, citrus etc can cause positive results. People shouldn't eat or drink in the 30 mins before doing an antigen test.

Was hoping to get a text tonight but no joy, Christmas sounds fairly tame this year for many families, that kinda makes it a bit easier to deal with the possibility of a compromised one.

Hopefully hear something tomorrow.

I really feel for those waiting for results, it was the hardest 2 days of our recent close contact experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Tested yesterday at 11am. Praying for a Christmas miracle

we’re the same! Cannot stop checking my phone

Was tested on Wednesday and still nothing. I think that miracle of mine is fading…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Just came on here to post the same question. Tested Wednesday am and still nothing coming up to 48 hours.

I think you can contact them if it’s been over 48 hours

When I hit 48 hours and rang they got back to me within 20 minutes with the result.

• Advertisement

Is there a number for test results? Or just a general HSE number?

There’s a number for if you are waiting more than 48 hours. I think it’s just hse live.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Got tested on Tuesday in Dublin (Explorium Test Centre) and had result back in 23 hours. Seems to be taking longer since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Tested at 9.30 this morning in sandyford. Am i ridiculous to hope that i might get the results at some stage tomorrow? I assume they will be working in the labs on xmas day? Going to be a very lonely christmas at home by myself. Had such a nice few days planned too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Thanks. Just came in. Minute after I posted. Bloody positive. 2 years of avoiding and it arrives on Xmas eve.

how you get on?

Just got my results back and it is positive. Took about 36 hours or so.

I flew home as well for Christmas, so to say i am heartbroken...probably the biggest understatement of the year.

Stay safe everyone.

I think the stress of waiting and constantly checking the phone for result done more harm to my health than covid ever would luckily I'm neg but another family member never got their result so phoned this morning and their test was invalid so they had to get another test today, they are telling everyone now that its a minimum wait of 48hrs for results

I'd guess that the delays could be due to the actual texting of the results, not turnaround times from the labs.

Texts aren't sent out 24/7 so whatever staff or IT system they use likely have thousands of texts to send out from results that have come in over night.

If your wait for results is going into day 2, ringing the helpline could save you a lot of nervous suspense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Tested Wednesday and it's now been over 48 hours. My missus tested the same time as me and got her results this morning... still nothing for me. I've been onto the HSE Live phone line on hold for 30 minutes now.

Advertisement