Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing Megathread Part 4 - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I honestly have no idea. It's on the HSE website that mentions a negative test with symptoms and you should isolate. HSE website is a mess, maybe ring your doctor and tell them if you have symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Did you not get a positive antigen test. If your daughter has symptoms book a PCR for her and for yourself then take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 6 greenblue22

Can anyone shed some light on close contacts & testing please? Covid in my child’s class so got them tested earlier in the week & was negative so went back into school. Now a child at their table has tested positive & they were at a party together just before the positive so did an antigen & it was negative. When is the best time to do a pcr after exposure? So if school & social events aren’t deemed close contacts are they allowed out again if pcr is negative? The whole thing is just baffling as this cycle could continue for weeks! . Do their siblings need to stay in? Kids under 12 so not vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I received a positive result today, unfortunately.

So are my housemates still okay to move around until they develop symptoms?

Also do I self isolate for 10 days from when I get the PCR results? Or from last Thursday when I got the positive antigen test at work? (meaning I'd have 8 days remaining?)

Is it common to need to go to the hospital? I have two vaccines got and I am in the vulnerable category due to Crohn's disease. I am extremely worried because of this..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭fits

Very uncommon in vaccinated. Fingers crossed you will be ok. I think you need to isolate for ten days from first symptoms or five days after fever stops whichever is longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

That's a relief! Thanks! I don't want to spend all my time recovering and worrying. While missing out on all the Netflix I could be watching..

Nice so that would be Thursday, so 8 days left! Funnily enough, I don't have a fever..

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Did an antigen test this evening. After 30 mins it was negative. I left the test on the table for a few hours and when I went back to throw it out there was a faint second line. I wonder is this normal. I can test again in morning but I'm a bit concerned now?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Minier81

Hi Larko. That sounds like an evaporation line which can appear a long time after the test. This is why you should not read after 30 mins I believe. The same thing happens with pregnancy tests, the result will be negative at read out time but hours later the evaporation line will appear. Obviously if you have symptons or reason to believe you have covid test again but otherwise I wouldn't worry in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Great. I thought as much but just needed a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭statto25

I've got the dose at the minute, on day 5 of isolation and feeling good. On day 10, can I take antigen test to prove I'm now clear to rejoin society?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has gotten a test recently and how long it has taken to get results? My partner had a test yesterday afternoon and hoping we will get results today, just wondering if with the large volumes being tested if it's more likely to be tomorrow. Hope you are all well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

why would you retest yourself after isolating for the required 10 days?

on the 10th day go out, and feel invincible, but that 6 months grace period of feeling like superman passes quickly, trust me. So enjoy it 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Had a test yesterday in Wicklow 11am, results this evening 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

How long is it taking people to get their results these days ?

Got mine the next day (lunchtime test).. this was about two months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Got my last one in less than 24 hours (that was two weeks ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

36 hours and waiting but (a) test was on Friday and (b) I'm guessing they're pretty busy these days (going by the cases )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

A couple of family members got tested this weekend.

Midlands test centre - result back in less than 24 hours.

Dublin test centre - 2 results took less than 24 hours, 1 result took 27 hours, remaining 2 results are at 28 hours and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭larchielads

Anyone in waterford findin it hard to book a test ?

I had mine Friday 12th at 6pm and got the results at 11am (after I rang at 9am) on the Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Is anyone else finding it impossible to book a test? I'm in Dublin and have been trying since 9am to get one through the HSE website. 0 appointments available in any test centre. I'm refreshing constantly. The odd time it will come up that there's 1 appointment available in a test centre (I'll take any!) but by the time I click in it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I think midnight is the best time to book them. They all become available for the following day then. Eg tonight at midnight will be appointments for Thursday. Or as you said some become available during the day for same day but they go very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Contact your GP. Family member here rang up this morning and text came in about 20 mins later with an appointment for this afternoon. GPs have access to tests separately

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I rang my GP, they said they'd see what they could do but that everyone's having difficulties getting appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Thanks for that. None available last night. Luckily I was woken at 4am by one of the kids and checked for Ashbourne. Got two slots for the kids. According to the news at 8:30 am Meath was one of 6 counties where an appointment couldn't be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

I did antigens last Thursday, Friday & Saturday (Due to not being able to get a PCR appointment) and all were negative.

Tried to get a PCR again on Monday and after failing to do so, took another antigen. After waiting for 16 minutes, it showed negative. However while looking at it, the second line appeared, first faintly, then strongly, and then within 30 seconds totally disappeared again, showing a negative result again after around 17 minutes. It stayed negative.

I finally got a PCR yesterday so curious to see the results. But has anyone else had a similar experience with the antigens? I couldn't find any similar experiences from Googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Simple starting point here, what entities or people benefit from supplying Ireland with PCR tests themselves and supplying the test results?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The domestic testing capacity is all in state owned labs. No private entity involved.

The swabs, reagent etc are being bought by the HSE. There's nothing outsourced except the surge testing capacity in Germany which we're now using again.

The options for cronyism here are limited compared to the UK both on the state doing more stuff themselves, and the entire setup being so much smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If I was looking for malincentives then it would be at the private testing companies for travel certs. The PCR tests I got done at private providers for travel here and in France were, eh, somewhat less aggressive than the HSE-administered ones.

Whether this is a matter of skill or not I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

any private company conducting tests and providing results - the benefits are clear - a profit margin on a service that is paid for by the person wanting the service ... much the same as the benefits that a newsagent gets from supplying people with newspapers.

Advertisement