Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing Megathread Part 4 - See OP for threadbans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Tested positive 9 days ago only symptom left is loss of smell and taste, my partner who lives with me tested positive yesterday do I now need to self isolate again as close contact for 10 days or does anybody know what I need to do now. Cannot find info on HSE sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d say once your isolation is finished and symptoms are gone you can go about as you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

How long is it taking for results to come back in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

3 questions....

1. If I test positive on an antigen test, do I have to get a PCR? (it's a bit of a journey for me). Or can I just self isolate for 10 days? I was supposed to go to a meeting in work next week, but wondering if a positive antigen test is enough to tell them I'm out for the week.
    2. If I do get a positive PCR test, is the self isolation (10 days) from the date of testing, or when the symptom started?
    3. If I get a negative PCR and still have sympoms, do I still need to self-isolate?
    Post edited by Barney224 on

• Advertisement

Anyone know what happens if you're waiting for results?

Are you meant to ring HSE if you don't get results or just sit and wait for text?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Oh I meant were you waiting long for the results in the end 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭fits

1 it’s up to you. Do you want certainty that it’s covid. The antigen tests do give false positives. You’re not obliged to get pcr though.

2 from start of symptoms and five days after fever has subsided

3 yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Unless it's been more than 48 hours, you just wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

If you book a test yourself the text you receive states "You should receive your test result within 48 hours. If you are waiting more than 48 hours, call HSELive and they will assist you."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Oh, yeah, didn't get them until Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭foozzybear61

Here is my personal tale of Woe see if anyone can give an opinion on it

I'm 60 and i work in an intellectual disabilities service.

Got initial vaccine back in Feb this year , got offered a booster jab on Thursday developed a sore arm and spiking temperature in work the following day , consulted my doctor was told not to worry as it was probaly a reaction to the jab but if I was still worried to get a test done . .felt fine the next day but thought might as well get it done now any way ...Test came back positive

Dont know how to react , glad im not walking around still infectious , but only for the booster ...which may or may not be any use now ..

unaware of my condition...I havent slept properly in last 36 hours .

GP now saying that after 9 months the protection had dropped enough to allow infection

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Jesus Fcuking Christ, the HSE App for booking appointments is so bad.

In general it looks like the earliest I can book a test for the school child with the cold is 12pm tomorrow.

So trying to save myself an extra day off work I'm checking each centre that i could drive to and sometimes 1 appointment for a time today appears.

Each time after checking a centre I have to clear the cache or it will show 0 appointments for the next 2 days even though there are hundreds available tomorrow.

Occasionally, when a slot does appear and you select it, confirm the 6 digit code to the phone, enter name and address, and then click book to confirm, "That Appointment is No Longer Available"

Grrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Is there anywhere that lists which centres are walk-in or drive-through?

I need to book a test for an elderly relative in Dublin but she won't go unless it's a drive-through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I spent half an hour clicking in and out of test centres yesterday to get one same day. I initially took the one for the following day but cancelled it after I finally got a same day one. It was my third attempt, as same as you, they kept coming back no longer available - clearly huge demand.

27+ hours later no sign of results yet... any one know if these things are taking the full 48 hours to come through at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

In case anyone else is wondering test results (Dublin) took just over 30 hours.

My teenage daughter has some mild covid symptoms. She also just found out 2 of her close contacts have tested positive. I'm nearly sure she has it as well, even though she's fully vaccinated. She's only back from college today, so we haven't really been mixing in the house.

If I bring her to do a PCR test by car, should I also get a test at the same time?

And in the event that she has tested positive and I'm not, would I still need to self isolate at home?

If your daughter is only home, it will take a few days for symptoms to show up in you. So you wouldn't need a test at the same time because it will be negative.

And if she's positive, if you're not vaccinated, you should isolate. But if you've been vaccinated, apparently you are free to go about your business until you show symptoms. That is on the HSE website, which makes no sense because aren't we infectious before showing symptoms?

Thanks for that. Yes, that's what I was thinking. I wouldn't think it's advisabe for me to go into work, knowing I was in very close contact with someone who's tested positive. I'll throw it back at my boss and see what he says!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Tested yesterday in Ballally, results back 22 hours later today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭SourSessions

So is Tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

18 hour turnaround in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

So I received a positive antigen test. I left work and my manager called me and asked questions about symptoms, close contacts etc.

I then booked a PCR test and I have that tomorrow. It might (hopefully) be a thing I get a negative tomorrow.

I am currently living with two flatmates. Do they need to get PCR tests while I wait for mine? We haven't spoken face to face, but we share the same house.

If I get a negative can I return to work the following day?

Also if I get a positive result do I need to get tested again after the 10 days?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I received a positive test in August due to being a close contact but I felt fine. My boss went apoplectic on the phone and demanded I come into work. I calmly told him that I simply could not for 14 days and hung up on him.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Are your flatmates Vaccinated, if yes then they may carry on as normal unless they develop symptoms. If you get a negative yes you can return to work the following day although advised not to until your wwll.

If you are positive you do 10 days isolation and no pcr again for 9 months.

A negative test with symptoms and you have to isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Acknowledged by HSE at press conference yesterday that there is a website problem. It sometimes shows up zero availability and you need to log out (?) and may need to clear cookies to reset it back to normal.

• Advertisement

Advertisement