Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wallace and Daly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

blackwhite wrote: »
    Wallace in Newstalk this morning signing the praises of the CCP.

He’s gone full conspiracy theory loon at this stage.

No detention of Uighur population apparently. No detention of journalists and no suppression of free speech there either

Managed to shoe-horn in some Putinist propaganda as well

That sort of thing is happening to loads of people. I know some people who sensibly dislike US foreign policy but then stupidly hop to the side of defending Russia and China. It's like they have no room in their brains to realise that that the other major powers might also be a bunch of cúnts. Worse still, they move to an information bubble dominated by authoritarian states in a misguided attempt to get "both sides" when really all that they are doing is adding even worse misinformation to their media diet and filling their heads with so much shít that they think Uighirs have it grand, that the Skrypal and Litvinenko poisonings weren't done by Russia and that the invasion of Ukraine was all above board.

It's such a simple-minded way of existing that you can predict their stance on just about everything. You can be sure that Wallace is pro Assad and I wouldn't be surprised if he was an MH17 truther too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That sort of thing is happening to loads of people. I know some people who sensibly dislike US foreign policy but then stupidly hop to the side of defending Russia and China. It's like they have no room in their brains to realise that that the other major powers might also be a bunch of cúnts. Worse still, they move to an information bubble dominated by authoritarian states in a misguided attempt to get "both sides" when really all that they are doing is adding even worse misinformation to their media diet and filling their heads with so much shít that they think Uighirs have it grand, that the Skrypal and Litvinenko poisonings weren't done by Russia and that the invasion of Ukraine was all above board.

It's such a simple-minded way of existing that you can predict their stance on just about everything. You can be sure that Wallace is pro Assad and I wouldn't be surprised if he was an MH17 truther too.
    It's so bizarre. You have these people who are convinced they see conspiracies at the top level everywhere in the US & EU, so much that they believe themselves to be especially perceptive of subterfuge and conspiracy.

Clare Daly IIRC when she was arrested for drink-driving went as far as to claim that she was deliberately targetted for arrest because of some comments she made about whistleblowers.

And yet when these people encounter Russia and China; the grand masters of conspiracy and propaganda; they swallow the nonsense hook, line and sinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Does anyone actually care what Mick Wallace thinks though?

Our "sophisticated" electorate here may think so (voting for Luke Ming and Wallace) but MEP is not a joke position IMO.

Didn't catch Newstalk appearance mentioned in a post above, but it's pretty bad if our elected reps. are parotting CCP or Russian propaganda IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭blackwhite

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Does anyone actually care what Mick Wallace thinks though?

He’s an MEP who is supposed to be representing a sizeable Irish constituency.

Instead of representing his Irish constituents he seems more interesting in shilling for various totalitarian regimes and dictatorships

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Ming is a serious politician compared to those two.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Ming is a serious politician compared to those two.

What has he done that makes you think this.
    He got involved in the turf war, was absent from quite a lot of sessions in EU.
    I never heard of him getting involved in anything else.

The other are the best reps we can send from Ireland, we had another one who was a rep for full term and never attended.

We do not do serious politics in this Country and that's the lot we send to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I see the two clowns voted against an aid package for Ukraine only two days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Given the important international institutions located in the country (EU, Nato) I know the Belgian security services have a fairly active counterintelligence arm to root out political interference and subterfuge from malign actors. I hope they're paying attention to who Mick and Clare are meeting.

Just reading Wallace's Wikipedia page. Nauseating stuff.

How can people vote for this for over a decade?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭mikethecop

anyone who ever had any doubts about these pair cant have any now

Actual Quislings in act and fact now , if there is a way to recall them from being MEPs and remove them it should be expedited immediately.

they are supposed to be out there representing their constitutions' , does any one think that the people who voted for them support them now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

They're not quislings. You're losing the run of yourself.

Ireland isn't at war with Russia and China, and Wallace and Daly haven't betrayed Ireland - either by refusing to take Ukraine's side wholeheartedly or in any other way.

However I agree in general that pro-Putin and pro-CCP apologists are deceived.

You can read their mealy-mouthed explanation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭mikethecop

do you support their position at present ?

do you feel that they represent the people who voted for them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

Could never get my head around how someone who a court deemed unfit to be a company director, engaged in an under declaration of €1.4m in VAT, especially bearing in mind, that VAT is only collected on behalf of Revenue and to be passed on to them, can still be elected to represent this wonderful little Country.

And now as, we watch men, women and children being murdered, driven from their homes and country be an invasion that is a war crime, they take this stance.

My blood is boiling. Hopefully this will be a step too far for the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

No I don't support their position because I am anti-Putin.

They do represent the people who voted for them in a strictly technical sense. I doubt they will be returned for another term.

But in the end Ireland and Ukraine are not one and the same, or militarily aligned, or strongly connected by ties of history and blood.

So non-support for Ukraine is not some heinous crime against Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Nothing technical about it (Mick Wallace / Clare Daly representing the people who voted for them). The voters elect them. The go over to EU Parliament and represent these voters and in a wider sense this country there. And when you look at who they lined up with in that recent vote, and how outnumbered they are in the Parliament and how fringe their position is, I think it is a betrayal alright.

Hopefully the people who voted for them for these positions (or didn't bother to vote) will notice and learn something about elections/process of voting in a democracy, and will take it more seriously in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Are they voting on what the people of Ireland think, or just what they think themselves with disregard to what the feeling is at home.

I know they absolutely anti-USA and always have been, but the EU is looking at those individuals as representing what the majority of the people of Ireland want and it clearly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

The vote in EU elections are normally quite low which gives the radicals a better chance of being elected because their supporters are by nature more motivated.

Wallace does the emotional empathetic act that goes down well with a certain proportion of Irish people and Claire Daly comes across as the slightly more stable but equally convinced support act.

No I don't agree the EU (at whatever level) thinks they represent 'Ireland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Be fair. He said he absolutely agreed with condemning Putin but other parts of the bill included switching from Russian oil to US oil through franking and the EU getting more built up within nato. Thats what he tried to have removed from the vote.

He who pays the piper calls the tune. Have to say how reassuring it is to see so few politicians in Russia's pocket. Suspect China pays better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They are just a pair of attention seeking contrarians… no more to it…

thousands dead… more to follow as a direct result of one sovereign country illegally attacking another and they decide not to condemn it.

and some people actually vote for these pair ? Fücking seriously ?

see if they change their tune if Putin and co ever got this far…

The German view of the Muppets:

Gahler today, however, said that Wallace and Daly are “by no means relevant” and that he could not understand their position. 

“They are politically irrelevant, they are marginal, they are exotic. They are not helping the Irish cause by any means,” he told reporters. 

Gahler added that the pair are “not stupid”, adding: “I don’t know what their motivation is.”

He may be overestimating their intelligence.

I find the Ming hate a bit tiresome. He's not my bag, but he is extremely well regarded in the farming lobby for his work on the CAP committee, and no Irish MEP has a better record on agriculture. You can reference the farming press and indeed the EU watcher press in Brussels if you like.

As for his attendance record, for the first or so year he was MEP, I understand there was a serious illness in his family and he missed a lot of sessions due to that. You can check his record from there on out, he has the best attendance record in-session and in-committee of any Irish MEP as far as I'm aware.

Don't be fooled by the woolly jumper and ponytail. Ming does his job, and better than most of the lads and ladeens in mohair suits and shoulderpads.

I'm in no way connected to Ming, but I think it's low-ball to have a cut at a politician who actually does his job because of his admittedly Eyre Square cans of Linden Village appearance.

Be a little more specific on agriculture... my understanding was the journalist from Louth was looking after this until Hogan decided to retire... I think McGuiness got a better job... I was not aware Ming replaced her... I'm just asking as i likely out of touch but sure you can tell us...

Ming was shadow rapporteur on CAP. A shadow rapporteur negotiates compromise texts with the lead rapporteur on behalf of political groupings. He had an outsized contribution on technical amendments on the latest round of CAP reforms.

You can mock the jumpers and his beard, but he does a serious job - and he's the front-running Irish MEP on agriculture by a large margin.

If you're looking for Irish MEPs with a thumb up their ar*e doing nothing, you'll find them handy enough, but Ming isn't among them.

You seem to have a problem with Ming's appearance and dress code... i certainly don't... its likely an image and that's allowed... Wallace has one too... Google his name... lots of stuff there... I expect they all on some kindof committee... i hope he does better than the turf campaign..

Well you asked what Ming does in Brussels, suggesting he doesn't attend and doesn't do anything. The reality is quite the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

In fairness I think he was absent (in person) a lot due to personal reasons, his wife was seriously ill. I wouldn't personally lump him in with Daly and Wallace.

• Advertisement

It seems our two great heroes are now against peaceful protest.

Advertisement