Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Discussion on sexism

145791014

Comments



  • pwurple wrote: »
    My own eyes. This is my typical experience.

    I report posts with that kind of language when I see then. They typically get deleted. There is never a comment on it.

    If I report a slew of them, I sometimes pm the mod and ask could they put up a comment so I don’t have to keep reporting. They usually don’t, and just say keep reporting.


    Look at it this way... One of your children is hitting an other child with a stick. The injured child comes running to you. You bandage up the cut , but don’t take the stick off the other child or tell them not to do it again. What do you think continues to happen?

    Deleting comments are deleting the history.

    If boards are committed to improving quality, then the policy needs to change here.

    People were not happy that I posted the deleted comment. Although it could have appeared pedantic to post it, what it demonstrated was that (a) extremely nasty content was posted and (b) some people some people were ok with it.

    Some even said they would not have seen it had I not posted it. A good few thanked that post, which would read as if they would not have read it either. So if people are not seeing misognistic comments, is it any wonder they don't believe there are any.

    Same happened with the fat pig who should not go out in public post. Deleting it allowed it disappear, again, poster was posting again on the thread a few minutes later standing over the post.

    So, by deleting comments, it is allowing it appear there is no problem. Next week, most wont remember there was a sexist/misogynistic/racist (or whatever) comment there. All they will see is there is someone weirdly giving out about nothing.




  • pwurple wrote: »
    Why, because you shouted the loudest?

    No, because the numbers don't appear to be in agreement with you.
    pwurple wrote: »
    Normalised , constant uncommented sexism is the rule and you like it that way.

    There is not 'constant sexism'. If you view any negative comment about a women as sexist then sure, there is 'constant' sexism. But that view would not equate to what sexism actually is. Judging by the manure study you posted earlier, it would seem that this is what you think. As I said, you should lay off the academic feminism. It is rarely legitimate research.
    pwurple wrote: »
    You’ve piled on,

    Noone has been 'piled on'. It may be that your view is the minority one.

    pwurple wrote: »
    bullied

    Where here has someone been bullied? What is your evidence? Again seems to be a case of you throwing your toys out because people don't agree with you. If you can't handle the heat don't step into the arena. I'd be curious to know out of the reported posts, how many different accounts did the reporting.
    pwurple wrote: »
    shouted down and demanded that the status quo remains

    Again noone has been shouted down. I mean, a totally ridiculous suggesting. How can one be shouted down on a discussion forum on the internet. We can't shout. Yes the status quo that works, that for the most part lets robust discussion take place.
    pwurple wrote: »
    Here’s the status quo though.

    No comment is ever made by mods when people read that string of crap about “slapped tits” etc and object to it. If some terribly oversensitive difficult woman reports it, then reluctantly, it gets deleted, completely silently.

    These are you words. Noone cares that you are a women bar you. Maybe try stop seeing everything through the lens of gender. People aren't opposed to your suggestions because you are female. Oversensitive I would agree with.
    pwurple wrote: »
    Anyone that raises a discussion on the volume of it is ranting.

    Any time they do so is most inconvenient.


    That’s the situation now, and that’s what a handful of posters apparently want to remain.


    No guidelines, no policy, no education needed. No improvement possible, just shrug and ignore. Maybe those difficult oversensitive crazy (ugly too and in need of a boob job) vocal women will just go away.

    No, no education needed. Again with this arrogant notion of 'if people were just educated they'd agree with me'. CA/IMHO is there to do exactly what it does. Allow for discussions that may at times not meet the posting standard of the politics forum (that years ago near moderated itself out of existence). The modding is fine, with posts that are supposedly sexist dealt with even by your admission. As Emmet put it, it may be a 'necessary evil'.

    You also seem to take those comments personally, as if a negative post about a women is a negative post about all women and as such about you. It isn't.

    If you want sanitised debate then go post in TLL or other such fora that are more to your taste. Leave CA alone, as most appear happy with how it is.




  • Why are you so bothered about people not being offended or upset by posts?
    I can't remember last time I got upset at something I saw posted. I'm sure there are corners of the internet where I can see things that upset me but I don't go there. But certainly peoples lack of outrage is none of my business, or anyone else's business. You are denying people an opinion, and telling them how they should think.

    Sure, some crass comments get thrown in about 2 people none of the posters know, have met or have even seen. But it's not against women in general. It's about the Dubai 2.

    I read anti male stuff all the time, I don't get offended.




  • My feedback is:

    1. This thread is an abomination. While it has merit and I believe sexism is present on the site to an extent, being male, I'm not tuned into spotting it everywhere, thats is my issue I suppose.

    However, it seems others are very sensitive about it, to the extent that any criticism of women is default sexism, irrespective of context. Maybe that is their problem and projecting and equating their personal experiences against these posts does not automatically make them just.

    Just because you class something as sexist, doesn't make it so. Thats only your opinion, and boards has zero responsibility to ensure you are catered to. It is indeed a community, a community with a diverse pool and opposing opinions are everywhere.

    2. Posters here want things to change, even though the most quoted post has already been actioned. It has been dealt with, why that is not good enough is bizarre. Indeed so too is labelling anyone as a supporter of sexism in some twisted fashion and does nothing for debate. It certainly won't get someone to see your point of view and you have no business educating people in order for them to agree with you.

    3. Others here want people to adopt their point of view, while openly saying that they have no interest in anyone else's perspective. The same person wants the thread closed because they don't like differing views. Thats not very genuine at all and contrary to community debate.

    4. This thread is bogus. It is designed to quell debate from those that don't believe sexism is rife here. It is also designed to pressurise Mods/Admins into implementing god knows what and acting spuriously anytime a topic about women comes up.

    Calling sexism when there is latitude to refute it, really damages a posters reputation and makes a mockery of the subject. It may turn people to be indifferent or at least be blind to it if debate is stiffled as has been evident here today.

    But obviously, I'm just a big sexist bastard and have no right to be posting about it.




  • anewme wrote: »
    Deleting comments are deleting the history.

    If boards are committed to improving quality, then the policy needs to change here.

    People were not happy that I posted the deleted comment. Although it could have appeared pedantic to post it, what it demonstrated was that (a) extremely nasty content was posted and (b) some people some people were ok with it.

    Some even said they would not have seen it had I not posted it. A good few thanked that post, which would read as if they would not have read it either. So if people are not seeing misognistic comments, is it any wonder they don't believe there are any.

    Same happened with the fat pig who should not go out in public post. Deleting it allowed it disappear, again, poster was posting again on the thread a few minutes later standing over the post.

    So, by deleting comments, it is allowing it appear there is no problem. Next week, most wont remember there was a sexist/misogynistic/racist (or whatever) comment there. All they will see is there is someone weirdly giving out about nothing.

    I'd agree that these supposedly sexist or racist comments should remain and not be deleted. But no doubt if they aren't we'll eventually have posters claiming that those comments remaining creates an 'unwelcome' environment and we'll be back to square one.

    The fact remains however, that the sexist, racist etc. comments are a tiny minority of all comments posted.


  • Advertisement


  • I'd agree that these supposedly sexist or racist comments should remain and not be deleted. But no doubt if they aren't we'll eventually have posters claiming that those comments remaining creates an 'unwelcome' environment and we'll be back to square one.

    The fact remains however, that the sexist, racist etc. comments are a tiny minority of all comments posted.

    That's why I also said they could be snipped if they are bad enough, which removes most of the content, but not the fact that there is an issue.

    If posters posting this content are exposed, then they will either end up banned via transparency or give up posting that kind of content as they know the quality is being tracked.




  • anewme wrote: »
    That's why I also said they could be snipped if they are bad enough, which removes most of the content, but not the fact that there is an issue.

    If posters posting this content are exposed, then they will either end up banned via transparency or give up posting that kind of content as they know the quality is being tracked.

    If they are snipped one doesn't know what was said. A comment can be snipped for all sorts of reasons outside of sexism, racism whatever.

    The posters posting it are exposed. The comment that you posted 7 or 8 times, the poster was instantly banned. The quality is tracked. Read dispute resolution and mods will at times refer to a poster's disciplinary record when deciding if to overturn a ban or not.

    If posters constantly post sexist, racist things they are banned. So it may be that these things aren't posted as much as you think, and the procedures in place work. None more are needed.




  • No, because the numbers don't appear to be in agreement with you. Noone has been 'piled on'. It may be that your view is the minority one.
    no-one is piling on or shouting down? Except you is it? You've 2 and a half times more posts here than I even do.

    The numbers you say?

    My replied in this thread: 10
    CtevenSrowder, LegEndReject,99nsr125,Omackeral: 26+10+17+7 = 60.

    600% more posts is a pile-on from where I'm sitting.





    Where here has someone been bullied? What is your evidence? Again seems to be a case of you throwing your toys out because people don't agree with you. If you can't handle the heat don't step into the arena.
    What toys are you talking about? Again, I've made a few short posts. From you I see missives, diatribes, acres and acres of text whinging and whining that I'm oversenstive. The only oversensitive person I see here are those trembling for the right to continue slandering women.

    Again noone has been shouted down. I mean, a totally ridiculous suggesting. How can one be shouted down on a discussion forum on the internet. We can't shout.
    . You know what... saying the same thing over and over and over again is shouting down. Not making any new point, just pestering. Not only have you said the same inane things 260% more often than me, you've said them over and over again in the same post multiple times. Not shouting down? Give me a bloody break. It's all you do.
    Oversensitive I would agree with.
    Oh cheers, thanks! I really live for that, if only people would make personal insulting comments on me all the time my life would be complete. Can you see what you write? Can you tell when it's ignored that it's from politeness? Because it would be rude to point out the absolute fool you make of yourself repeatedly? Saying you never make personal comments, in the same breathe as making a personal insult...

    No, no education needed. Again with this arrogant notion of 'if people were just educated they'd agree with me'.
    I have never said that once, what are the quote marks for?
    The modding is fine, with posts that are supposedly sexist dealt with even by your admission. As Emmet put it, it may be a 'necessary evil'.
    You can think it's fine, and I can disagree. I guarantee you , you don't even see the posts I see, because they are removed before they pollute your eyes. I'm soundly fed up with that roundabout.
    If you want sanitised debate then go post in TLL or other such fora that are more to your taste. Leave CA alone, as most appear happy with how it is.
    I don't want sanitised debate. I don't want to be a pseudo-mod. I want improved commentary on thread and an actual position instead of dancing around on pinheads.




  • My feedback is:

    1. This thread is an abomination. While it has merit and I believe sexism is present on the site to an extent, being male, I'm not tuned into spotting it everywhere, thats is my issue I suppose.

    2. Posters here want things to change, even though the most quoted post has already been actioned.

    If threads are being deleted, then you cant be spotting it because it's gone.

    In respect of the most quoted post, the reason for quoting it is not about the post itself, but to demonstrate the number of posters (here in this thread) who were ok with it. That's the real crux of it. But people are deliberately missing that point.

    If people clearly cannot identify or acknowledge that it was a sexist post or not ok, then they are not going to ever see a sexist or unacceptable post.

    Leaving the posts in some state will quickly identify if there is problem and if there is a pattern to it. That would be a way to seeing the level of change required, if any.




  • anewme wrote: »
    If threads are being deleted, then you cant be spotting it because it's gone.

    In respect of the most quoted post, the reason for quoting it is not about the post itself, but to demonstrate the number of posters (here in this thread) who were ok with it. That's the real crux of it. But people are deliberately missing that point.

    If people clearly cannot identify or acknowledge that it was a sexist post or not ok, then they are not going to ever see a sexist or unacceptable post.

    Leaving the posts in some state will quickly identify if there is problem and if there is a pattern to it. That would be a way to seeing the level of change required, if any.

    No posters were ok with it. But most posters didn’t see a comment made about 2 particular women as a generalisation about ALL women.

    You seem to be offended that people are able to decide for themselves whether or not a comment that is NOT a generalisation is sexist.

    That’s what I was getting at last night/this morning. For a comment to be sexist it has to be a generalisation, about all women, or a large subset. A comment about 2 women in particular isn’t.


  • Advertisement


  • So now its cleared up that if you dont take offence you are sexist against all women for not supporting the actions of two women now before the courts, and if you dont agree with everything above you are also sexist.


    But yet there is a need for clearer discussion.


    It actually just seems like there is a need for a Borg hivemind tbh anything less is just a sexist pile-on.




  • If they are snipped one doesn't know what was said. A comment can be snipped for all sorts of reasons outside of sexism, racism whatever.

    The posters posting it are exposed. The comment that you posted 7 or 8 times, the poster was instantly banned. The quality is tracked. Read dispute resolution and mods will at times refer to a poster's disciplinary record when deciding if to overturn a ban or not.

    If posters constantly post sexist, racist things they are banned. So it may be that these things aren't posted as much as you think, and the procedures in place work. None more are needed.

    I've seen in some cases, mod snip to remove racist content or whatever. If that process were implemented more consistently, it would improve quality.

    The poster who said fat women in yoga pants were pigs and should wear sacks in public was not banned, despite this content. His post was deleted but he was still back 5 minutes later. He only got threadbanned because he kept making the comment worse.




  • Is yoga pants going to be todays Lasagne?




  • pwurple wrote: »
    no-one is piling on or shouting down? Except you is it? You've 2 and a half times more posts here than I even do.

    And? What's your point. I'm discussing the issue particularly with anewme.

    The numbers you say?
    pwurple wrote: »
    My replied in this thread: 10
    CtevenSrowder, LegEndReject,99nsr125,Omackeral: 26+10+17+7 = 60.

    600% more posts is a pile-on from where I'm sitting.

    The majority of posts against this have been in repsonse to anewme. So you aren't even capable of identifying the correct person who would be a victim of this pile on. Hint, it wouldn't be you.
    pwurple wrote: »
    What toys are you talking about? Again, I've made a few short posts. From you I see missives, diatribes, acres and acres of text whinging and whining that I'm oversenstive. The only oversensitive person I see here are those trembling for the right to continue slandering women.

    You accusing people of bullying. What is your evidence? People disagreeing with you is not bullying.
    pwurple wrote: »
    . You know what... saying the same thing over and over and over again is shouting down. Not making any new point, just pestering. Not only have you said the same inane things 260% more often than me, you've said them over and over again in the same post multiple times. Not shouting down? Give me a bloody break. It's all you do.

    No it isn't. You can not be shouted down on an internet forum. Shouting down means to shout so someone can not speak. One cannot do that on a forum such as this. So suggesting anyone being shouted down is absurd.
    pwurple wrote: »
    Oh cheers, thanks! I really live for that, if only people would make personal insulting comments on me all the time my life would be complete. Can you see what you write? Can you tell when it's ignored that it's from politeness? Because it would be rude to point out the absolute fool you make of yourself repeatedly? Saying you never make personal comments, in the same sentence as making a personal insult...

    You are the one who brought people being oversensitive into the discussion. Stop now trying to play the victim.
    pwurple wrote: »
    No guidelines, no policy, no education needed. No improvement possible, just shrug and ignore. Maybe those difficult oversensitive crazy (ugly too and in need of a boob job) vocal women will just go away.

    pwurple wrote: »

    No, no education needed. Again with this arrogant notion of 'if people were just educated they'd agree with me' I have never said that once, what are the quote marks for?

    Then why do people need to be educated? What is the purpose? Why are you assuming they are not already educated?
    pwurple wrote: »

    You can think it's fine, and I can disagree. I guarantee you , you don't even see the posts I see, because they are removed before they pollute your eyes. I'm soundly fed up with that roundabout.


    I don't want sanitised debate. I don't want to be a pseudo-mod. I want improved commentary on thread and an actual position instead of dancing around on pinheads.

    How can you guarentee that? You say you don't want to be a pseudo-mod yet t seems like you are one already. Do you go looking for these posts?

    If you have your way, instead of 'dancing on pinheads' we'll be walking on eggshells. It remains, that the contributors to this thread in the main think the moderation is fine and that nothing should change, or can be done necessarily.




  • anewme wrote: »
    Deleting comments are deleting the history.

    If boards are committed to improving quality, then the policy needs to change here.

    People were not happy that I posted the deleted comment. Although it could have appeared pedantic to post it, what it demonstrated was that (a) extremely nasty content was posted and (b) some people some people were ok with it.

    Some even said they would not have seen it had I not posted it. A good few thanked that post, which would read as if they would not have read it either. So if people are not seeing misognistic comments, is it any wonder they don't believe there are any.

    Same happened with the fat pig who should not go out in public post. Deleting it allowed it disappear, again, poster was posting again on the thread a few minutes later standing over the post.

    So, by deleting comments, it is allowing it appear there is no problem. Next week, most wont remember there was a sexist/misogynistic/racist (or whatever) comment there. All they will see is there is someone weirdly giving out about nothing.

    See I honestly don't know how what you want can be achieved.

    I don't particularly like the policy of straight up deletion. I don't like returning to a thread when this has happened because the flow of conversation is completely altered especially if a mod acted like a ninja and didn't leave a message.

    However I do appreciate that the ratio of mods to posters. I don't think they can physically deal with every post and write a paragraph as to why that post is not acceptable*

    I've seen this issue pop up in other forums and nothing to do with any "ism"

    The problem though if you leave a post without deleting it , say that post is on page 5, but the thread is up to page 20, you will have a latecomer to the thread get offended , report it, maybe quote it and fight against it...so that post will then pop up on page 21 ...however a mod dealt with it on page 7.....so that too will kill the thread. ....now maybe a mod could alter the original post to say something like "actioned" so latecomers know to leave it alone. ....however some posts don't deserve to be seen, or can be fairly inflammatory. Again that's subjective and will fall on a mod to decide do I delete or write actioned....if they go with actioned will it open the mod up to more abuse....so it's seriously a no win situation.

    I'll be honest I wouldn't have known about the comment until it was posted here. I did read the thread but I read it about 5 mins after it opened so there were only a few posts and I knew what direction it would take....the same way if I see a rowdy bunch of people in real life I avoid...no good can come of it. The subject matter had all the elements for turning into a "clusteref*ck" and it appears it did.




    *Now there could be a log thread where posts removed are posted and the the reasons why. Again very labour intensive , but it would make for a great read. I'm only half joking.




  • pwurple wrote: »
    Thanks for this, and I hope that because I post late at night it’s understood that it suits me to do so at that time, and certainly is not that I expect a response there and then or even anytime over a holiday weekend.

    I also appreciate the actions that were taken, a very good idea to remove that one entirely.

    I continue to note in this thread itself, there is a post stating something like “but the thread was about tits” , which again reinforces that some people think that any thread whatsoever that mentions women (in this case about women breaking the current quarantine law) means it’s a free for all on women’s bodies. The “boys club”, locker room mentality is unfortunately pervasive.

    Back when I modded (not here, this was back in the late 90’s in early bulletin boards) we found it useful to have guidelines on racism, sexism, lgbt bullying etc. Definitions on what each of these were, with real world examples. And the appropriate actions that should be taken. They were pretty basic. first instance of it on the thread was a mod note to stop. Second was a card or warning, and third was a lock on the thread for an hour. 61 reports on a thread is certainly a flag something is amiss.

    Ideally forums become self-moderating to some extent, once the user community is educated on what’s tolerated, and what is not. That education is generally done through the charters and the on-thread notes from mods. I asked the mod who was taking action at the time was there a guideline on misogyny or sexism, and the answer was no, it’s entirely at the mods discretion. This is an opportunity for improvement.


    We are a community and all of us on here, deserve to be written about with respect.

    So, as there is no mission statement, no guidance, can I ask is there there intention to create this? Is it just not here YET, but it’s in the works, or is the intention to leave things as they are indefinitely?

    Reposting this as I see it wasn’t responded to with all the other noise.


    I’ll wait.




  • See I honestly don't know how what you want can be achieved.

    I don't particularly like the policy of straight up deletion. I don't like returning to a thread when this has happened because the flow of conversation is completely altered especially if a mod acted like a ninja and didn't leave a message.

    However I do appreciate that the ratio of mods to posters. I don't think they can physically deal with every post and write a paragraph as to why that post is not acceptable*

    I've seen this issue pop up in other forums and nothing to do with any "ism"

    The problem though if you leave a post without deleting it , say that post is on page 5, but the thread is up to page 20, you will have a latecomer to the thread get offended , report it, maybe quote it and fight against it...so that post will then pop up on page 21 ...however a mod dealt with it on page 7.....so that too will kill the thread. ....now maybe a mod could alter the original post to say something like "actioned" so latecomers know to leave it alone. ....however some posts don't deserve to be seen, or can be fairly inflammatory. Again that's subjective and will fall on a mod to decide do I delete or write actioned....if they go with actioned will it open the mod up to more abuse....so it's seriously a no win situation.

    But if, as is claimed here there are only a tiny number of posts requiring action, then its not a big deal. Just to agree a more defined process. If the Mods have to delete it anyway...a one liner...deleted due to racist(or whatever) content...will be enough.

    Deleting leaves the mod open to the same abuse unfortunately, why did you delete my post?

    If the post is left up with a Mod edit to say actioned, then the latecomer can see actioned and not start it again.

    It would be a change mindset and it's not 100 percent foolproof but could improve quality or lack there of.

    Again, I know Mods are volunteers, so am unaware of how if any training or calibration guidance is given.




  • pwurple wrote: »
    Reposting this as I see it wasn’t responded to with all the other noise.


    I’ll wait.

    It seems as if you want a set of rules regarding sexism that the mods and admins have to follow, and if you don’t agree with those rules then you’ll be offended.

    This site has always operated on the ethos of don’t be a dick. It allows for a bit of personal interpretation of posts by the mod team.

    Tho lasagne post fell way short of don’t be a dick, but it wasn’t sexist




  • anewme wrote: »
    But if, as is claimed here there are only a tiny number of posts requiring action, then its not a big deal. Just to agree a more defined process. If the Mods have to delete it anyway...a one liner...deleted due to racist(or whatever) content...will be enough.

    Deleting leaves the mod open to the same abuse unfortunately, why did you delete my post?

    If the post is left up with a Mod edit to say actioned, then the latecomer can see actioned and not start it again.

    It would be a change mindset and it's not 100 percent foolproof but could improve quality or lack there of.

    Again, I know Mods are volunteers, so am unaware of how if any training or calibration guidance is given.

    This reply works for you too

    It seems as if you want a set of rules regarding sexism that the mods and admins have to follow, and if you don’t agree with those rules then you’ll be offended.

    This site has always operated on the ethos of don’t be a dick. It allows for a bit of personal interpretation of posts by the mod team.

    Tho lasagne post fell way short of don’t be a dick, but it wasn’t sexist




  • pjohnson wrote: »
    Is yoga pants going to be todays Lasagne?

    Mod has asked people to stick to feedback for mods/admins to improve quality.

    Would be great if you could do that.

    Thanks.


  • Advertisement


  • pwurple wrote: »
    No comment is ever made by mods when people read that string of crap about “slapped tits” etc and object to it. If some terribly oversensitive difficult woman reports it, then reluctantly, it gets deleted, completely silently.

    To reiterate, 61 reported posts, 37 actioned and two users banned. The remaining 21 reported posts were deemed unilaterally to be spurious.

    anewme wrote: »
    That's why I also said they could be snipped if they are bad enough, which removes most of the content, but not the fact that there is an issue.

    pwurple wrote: »
    I report posts with that kind of language when I see then. They typically get deleted. There is never a comment on it.

    If I report a slew of them, I sometimes pm the mod and ask could they put up a comment so I don’t have to keep reporting. They usually don’t, and just say keep reporting.

    Respectfully, neither of you are in any position to make that statement as fact - that posts are simply deleted with a 'move along, nothing to see here', laissez-faire attitude, and pwurple, the picture you seem intent on painting of a poster singlehandedly taking a stand, and the reluctant mod groaning and dragging their heels because they have been browbeaten to get to the computer to take action is at best disingenuous and does nothing to further discussion on the actual issue here. So I'd appreciate it if you'd stop it.

    But what surprises me here more than anything else is that this thread is less about sexist comments on boards, and becoming far more about how posts are moderated, particularly if they aren't moderated within certain posters extremely narrow vision of how to do so.

    As mentioned earlier, mods have the option of deleting posts, carding posts, or a combination of both, depending on the nature of the comment in question. Then of course there are bans, all the way to site bans. Not all mod actions are visible, nor do they need to be. My own approach in general (not just in this thread) is to delete posts that are, being blunt, too dumb to action. Others I card and leave as a visible deterrent for other posters. Other comments that I think will continue to cause the thread to spiral, I action AND delete, with a very clear note to the poster as to why they were actioned, and sometimes accompanied by a threadban. And there are plenty of posters in this thread who can attest to this because they have been on the receiving end of precisely that. Different mods may take slightly different approaches on a case-by-case basis, but that doesn't make one course of action inherently right and another inherently wrong.
    anewme wrote: »
    Deleting comments are deleting the history.

    If boards are committed to improving quality, then the policy needs to change here.

    I don't agree. While I strive to preserve threads as much as possible, certain comments serve no other purpose than to derail a thread, or inspire others to try to outdo the original with their witty repartee. Even those protesting said comments end up propagating the same comment multiple times within the thread - you personally have reposted that "gravel donkeys" post five times in this thread, no doubt to the delight of the original poster. Quite often the way to deal with trolls is to starve them of oxygen - as a poster by not being baited by them, and as a moderator by removing their content.
    pwurple wrote: »
    Look at it this way... One of your children is hitting an other child with a stick. The injured child comes running to you. You bandage up the cut , but don’t take the stick off the other child or tell them not to do it again. What do you think continues to happen?

    You're speaking in terms of black and white and not looking at the third option - taking the kid aside and warning them not to do it again, and/or grounding them. What some people seem to be looking for is a public pillory though and are thoroughly unhappy with anything else.

    To argue that sexism doesn't exist on Boards is absurd - it exists here in the same way that it exists in all strata of society. But it's almost become a secondary issue in this thread compared to how the moderators choose to moderate, which is a tack I wasn't expecting.




  • anewme wrote: »
    Mod has asked people to stick to feedback for mods/admins to improve quality.

    Would be great if you could do that.

    Thanks.

    You too, rather than the agenda of your general dissatisfaction with the moderation of Boards.

    If not happy why don’t you join a different discussion boards or set up your own.

    So when someone asks you what did you do with your long Easter weekend. Your reply will be I was a keyboard warrior on boards for days on end from early morning to late at night arguing that men are sexist and shouldn’t be allowed freedom to voice their sexist comments.




  • pwurple wrote: »
    My replied in this thread: 10
    CtevenSrowder, LegEndReject,99nsr125,Omackeral: 26+10+17+7 = 60.

    600% more posts is a pile-on from where I'm sitting.

    You are saying that it is unfair if people disagree with you.

    In fact the whole post this was taken from boiled down to a complaint that anyone was allowed to disagree with you.

    Repetition from people you disagreed with wasnt fair- your own repetition was fine and right. The other poster agreeing with you posting the same actual post ten times was fine and right.

    Ive noted a marked change in modding since the big thread a few weeks back. Maybe for the better, it's early to say yet- the site wasn't perfect, certainly.

    But my concern at the time was that "any complaint is legitimate and must be taken as an order" was the tenor of some of the feedback and that is very much the tenor of your posts and anewme's posts in this thread.

    Im glad the mods retain discretion to disagree and not necessarily default to the sensitivity of the most easily offended or who can engineer -isms any time they read something they dislike

    And that's not to claim the mods agree with me on that characterisation or that they delete stuff "reluctantly" which imo is a very unfair comment on them as mods and volunteers

    They leave stuff up that isnt great and they allow leeway for offence and disagreement because the nature of contentious or current issues is often fluid, and has scope for views not necessarily sanitized to the standard of the parlour.

    Nobody is defending the post in question. But you seem to be in a small minority in your opinion about how it was dealt with- thats not you being shouted down or bullied and the record showing you wanting this thread locked as soon as you lost control of opinion on it is, as already said, an indicator of the type of board you seem to want.

    My feedback is for the mods to please resist any pressure to follow that direction.




  • I note you’ve spent over 6 hours posting on sexism on boards today. I completely disagree with the views taken against those two women. Which is based on their social class. And I think the criticism level is more a reflection of us Irish than of being sexist. I’m not here to tell anyone what to do but life is short every moment should be appreciated and give meaning. I hope you move on and find something joyful in the remainder of this long weekend. Posts will come and go and be lost in time.
    You too, rather than the agenda of your general dissatisfaction with the moderation of Boards.

    If not happy why don’t you join a different discussion boards or set up your own.

    So when someone asks you what did you do with your long Easter weekend. Your reply will be I was a keyboard warrior on boards for days on end from early morning to late at night arguing that men are sexist and shouldn’t be allowed freedom to voice their sexist comments.

    I spotted this off topic yesterday and did not respond to it, but low and behold it's back again in a more blatant form.

    I believe this is part of the pile on referred to.

    Why is it your business what anyone does with their time and how is it relevant here in this feedback thread?

    "I wont tell anyone what to do"....when bait not taken, followed by telling people not only what to do but what they say.

    I could post a response to what you will say you attempted (and failed) to do here, but I wont as it does not need explaining , I'll leave it to the mods as its clearly not related to feedback.




  • anewme wrote: »
    I spotted this off topic yesterday and did not respond to it, but low and behold it's back again in a more blatant form.

    I believe this is part of the pile on referred to.

    Why is it your business what anyone does with their time and how is it relevant here in this feedback thread?

    "I wont tell anyone what to do"....when bait not taken, followed by telling people not only what to do but what they say.

    I could post a response to what you attempted (and failed) to do here, but I wont as it does not need explaining , I'll leave it to the mods as its clearly not related to feedback.

    Are you not guilty of exactly the same thing?

    Giving out because people didn’t think the post was sexist??




  • anewme wrote: »
    I spotted this off topic yesterday and did not respond to it, but low and behold it's back again in a more blatant form.

    I believe this is part of the pile on referred to.

    Why is it your business what anyone does with their time and how is it relevant here in this feedback thread?

    "I wont tell anyone what to do"....when bait not taken, followed by telling people not only what to do but what they say.

    I could post a response to what you will say you attempted (and failed) to do here, but I wont as it does not need explaining , I'll leave it to the mods as its clearly not related to feedback.

    I never posted a single comment on the original thread which is now the subject of this feedback thread.

    <admin: Nope. Don't personalize your posts like this again.>




  • I looked at some of the reported posts in the thread and acted against some of them as outlined by Tokyo above

    Some were complaining about the terms used (eg "baps" or "diddies"), claiming they are sexist. Now the thread title included the term "boob". Is any reference to breasts using a term other than "breast" sexist? Does this apply to men as well? Is "Don't be a dick" sexist?

    Just to add, I'm pretty sure some of the posters in question were female. Can women be sexist against other women?

    I accept there is sexism on this site. I do not though accept that we must act against anything that could be construed as sexist. We are into shades of grey in many instances, and one person's definition of sexism does not always correlate to others.




  • Tokyo wrote: »

    Respectfully, neither of you are in any position to make that statement as fact - that posts are simply deleted with a 'move along, nothing to see here', laissez-faire attitude,

    To argue that sexism doesn't exist on Boards is absurd - it exists here in the same way that it exists in all strata of society. But it's almost become a secondary issue in this thread compared to how the moderators choose to moderate, which is a tack I wasn't expecting.

    I've not said posts are deleted with a laissez faire attitude, what I've said is when they are deleted, it leaves it looking as if people are giving out about nothing and no record.

    There are people here arguing that sexism/ misogyny/ hatred does not exist in boards.

    This thread is about the bigger picture and going back to the other thread raised in TLL and not just that one thread. I believe Pwurple has said this in the opening post.

    It's not an attack on Mods and should not be seen as such. Its feedback.




  • pwurple wrote: »
    Reposting this as I see it wasn’t responded to with all the other noise.


    I’ll wait.

    The absolute arrogance of this. You dismiss other posts you disagree with as noise and pretty much demand a response... yet anyone who has responded has been wrote off as a bully and part of a pile on.


  • Advertisement


  • anewme wrote: »
    I've not said posts are deleted with a laissez faire attitude, what I've said is when they are deleted, it leaves it looking as if people are giving out about nothing and no record.

    There are people here arguing that sexism/ misogyny/ hatred does not exist in boards.

    This thread is about the bigger picture and going back to the other thread raised in TLL and not just that one thread. I believe Pwurple has said this in the opening post.

    It's not an attack on Mods and should not be seen as such. Its feedback.
    You have selected posts that you feel exemplify sexism, even though the posters in question were commenting on the two specific women. That’s not feedback.

    Wanting to have your cake and eat it spring to mind.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement