Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Discussion on sexism

2456714

Comments



  • 99nsr125 wrote: »
    Is that not directed at two people in particular not an entire group.

    It could be more constructive but does potray the ire of how people feel by what the two did.

    Criticism is not sexism but the wanting to be treated differently or preferentially because of your sex is.

    Alleging women are promiscuous is an insult usually aimed to degenerate and abuse women.

    You seem to be getting confused between criticism and abuse.




  • Just putting a theory out there.

    It is entirely possible that you have a group of male friends in the 18-25 yr old bracket give or take, who all know each other's users names....they could all be sitting in the same room.

    When these topics come up they have a competition within the group as to who can come up with the best insults cause the most drama in the thread.

    The more they see people getting wound up the bolder they become.

    They thank each other's post, quote each other's posts giving the perception that this is "society" speaking when really it's probably a group of wind up merchants having a few cans getting a kick out of the indignation of posters.

    There's a mantra of "don't feed the trolls" for a reason.

    Personally I think if you don't like what someone is saying don't quote it, just report it and move on... once wind up merchants see they aren't getting a reaction they will get bored , especially when their "witty one liners " get deleted without a fuss.

    I'd say there is few wind up merchants trolling to be funny alright.

    The ones referenced in TLL though are not kids, they've been around years.

    And the content is far more concerning. The far right types. They dont believe people know who they are, but there are a fair few posters who do. One poster referred to it as the dog whistle (which I had to look up) while my term would be hiding in plain sight.




  • anewme wrote: »
    No one agrees with anyone scamming a system, but speaking about people using crass sexually derogatory terms are not in the spirit of discussions and add nothing to the forum.

    But they had surgery to enhance their sexuality, how do you debate that and not talk about it. It's ridiculous

    If genders were switched and it was todger enhancement everyone would be making comments about that too.

    They are bodyparts that define the sexes, people are angry and thus ridicule for something foolishly done. The tribe as a whole (society) will always ridicule foolish actions, we are sanctioning poor behaviour to protect us all from future poor behaviour.




  • I've said it before in relation to previous threads, but if people are "afraid" to post, and leave as a result, it's more indicative of a lack of self-confidence than an issue with boards.

    This is an anonymous forum and many will disagree with us, that's true in real life too. Calling for a safe place for those who are afraid to post is looking for the exclusion of others who prefer a more robust debate.

    Ironically, it was pwurple who brought slut shaming into the thread. Sure, they were comments relating to boobs, I made one myself, but it was relevant to the reason these 2 went to Dubai. Their own actions drew all the attention to themselves and it's no surprise a lot of the reactions are negative.




  • Tbf if you look at the posting history of certain posters here, practically any criticism of a woman for any reason is down to misogyny and sexism in their minds.

    They come across as perpetual victims IMO


  • Advertisement


  • anewme wrote: »
    Alleging women are promiscuous is an insult usually aimed to degenerate and abuse women.

    You seem to be getting confused between criticism and abuse.

    Accusing someone of promiscuity is not an insult reserved for women, ask any gay man.

    I was addressing the fact to be critical of someone who happens to be one sex or another is not sexism just because you don't like the criticism

    Abuse is when a person harns or injures another, specifically in a controlling manner directly or intentionally, repeatedly and without justification. Single derogatory comments are just that but repeated and persistent would be different.




  • I've said it before in relation to previous threads, but if people are "afraid" to post, and leave as a result, it's more indicative of a lack of self-confidence than an issue with boards.

    This is an anonymous forum and many will disagree with us, that's true in real life too. Calling for a safe place for those who are afraid to post is looking for the exclusion of others who prefer a more robust debate.

    Ironically, it was pwurple who brought slut shaming into the thread. Sure, they were comments relating to boobs, I made one myself, but it was relevant to the reason these 2 went to Dubai. Their own actions drew all the attention to themselves and it's no surprise a lot of the reactions are negative.

    Not necessarily, I'd see it more as they dont want the hassle and just stay away.

    While a certain amount of that as you say down to the individual, Boards has a responsibility here not to allow posters be bullied off as has happened, leaving an Echo Chamber.

    I'd have no time for those women due to their actions and am not surprised people are annoyed at all.

    It can be expressed though without derogatory comments.




  • Why has boards a responsibility? I thought it was privately owned.




  • 99nsr125 wrote: »
    Accusing someone of promiscuity is not an insult reserved for women, ask any gay man.

    Should not be used against anyone.




  • Why has boards a responsibility? I thought it was privately owned.

    Its selling itself as a Community Forum and has a duty to uphold standards of a Community Forum.


  • Advertisement


  • anewme wrote: »
    You think it's ok to desk about women like this?

    F***ing gravel donkeys need new faces and bodies never mind tits.the state of them.fannies like a punched lasagne prob

    You’ve already been told that the post was dealt with. To be honest when I saw it I thought “woah, there’s a ban incoming for that comment, way over the top”

    No one is saying that it’s appropriate to speak about anyone like that, the poster has been dealt with and most people who read the thread (I got to page 3 before I decided to leave it as it was turning into a bashing thread) knew not to engage with that poster.

    Someone else said it here, there was possibly a cohort of posters who were on the wind up. Seeing how far they could go and how they could cause the most outrage. All the while giggling into their Easter eggs.




  • anewme wrote: »
    Its selling itself as a Community Forum and has a duty to uphold standards of a Community Forum.

    A duty to whom? What is the definition of a community forum?




  • I've said it before in relation to previous threads, but if people are "afraid" to post, and leave as a result, it's more indicative of a lack of self-confidence than an issue with boards.

    This is an anonymous forum and many will disagree with us, that's true in real life too. Calling for a safe place for those who are afraid to post is looking for the exclusion of others who prefer a more robust debate.

    I was called a weirdo and my actions were compared to a rapist in another thread. That was a personal attack on me .

    I didn't report the posts (they have been deleted though) and it didn't silence me....I'm not super self confident by any stretch but if you feel strongly on a topic you need to stand firm, when you're causing someone to try to win a point by name calling you know your hitting a nerve or they've a vested interest in the topic.

    So I don't buy in to the "too afraid" to post lark either. If you have an opinion you feel strongly about fight it out* but be prepared for someone to feel equally strongly against you. I'm not saying they are right by any stretch but a challenge on anything will result in a kick back and an anonymous forum gives a platform to people to express views they may not be bold enough to say in company.

    Like everything there will be good and bad.

    *Though if you find certain posts offensive I do think ignore and report is the best strategy.




  • I was called a weirdo and my actions were compared to a rapist in another thread. That was a personal attack on me .

    I didn't report the posts (they have been deleted though) and it didn't silence me....I'm not super self confident by any stretch but if you feel strongly on a topic you need to stand firm, when you're causing someone to try to win a point by name calling you know your hitting a nerve or they've a vested interest in the topic.

    So I don't buy in to the "too afraid" to post lark either. If you have an opinion you feel strongly about fight it out* but be prepared for someone to feel equally strongly against you. I'm not saying they are right by any stretch but a challenge on anything will result in a kick back and an anonymous forum gives a platform to people to express views they may not be bold enough to say in company.

    Like everything there will be good and bad.

    *Though if you find certain posts offensive I do think ignore and report is the best strategy.

    I've had one of the main protagonists here take an excerpt from one of my posts and use it to slut shame me, not once, but they doubled-down and repeated it. Then went on to twist another post to imply it meant something it didn't.

    So some can give it but take it.




  • It's always the same suspects complaining of rampant sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, islamophobia, etc. etc. Always the same people.

    I'd hazard a guess that it is a tiny handful of people that report posts continuously, with a simple aim of getting discussion shut down.




  • I've had one of the main protagonists here take an excerpt from one of my posts and use it to slut shame me, not once, but they doubled-down and repeated it. Then went on to twist another post to imply it meant something it didn't.

    So some can give it but take it.

    Yes, some people have a do as I say not as I do tendency. The modding on CA is broadly very good. There is a small cohort seemingly putting huge pressure on mods to take action on what is perceived as rampant sexism. These people simply want an echo chamber. Most of us want robust debate/discussion.




  • . Most of us want robust debate/discussion.
    Maybe we could have the robust debate / discussion without the rampant sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, islamophobia, etc?




  • Maybe we could have the robust debate / discussion without the rampant sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, islamophobia, etc?

    Those things aren't rampant. They are routinely thrown out lazily by those who can't formulate an argument. And as I said, it is a tiny cohort who are the ones who seem to see it being prevalent. It was once suggested that 60% of boards users are far right.. It is that type of hyperbole I am talking about.




  • It's always the same suspects complaining of rampant sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, islamophobia, etc. etc. Always the same people.

    I'd hazard a guess that it is a tiny handful of people that report posts continuously, with a simple aim of getting discussion shut down.

    Funny that, it's always the same suspects dishing out rampant sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, islamophobia, etc. etc. Always the same people.





  • I'd hazard a guess that it is a tiny handful of people that report posts continuously, with a simple aim of getting discussion shut down.

    Several posters admitted they report posters who they believe may be breaching boundaries it's very much obvious and self serving they want people that stand up to be silenced so they can keep their names of top of threads they don't want others posting in


  • Advertisement


  • You’ve already been told that the post was dealt with. To be honest when I saw it I thought “woah, there’s a ban incoming for that comment, way over the top”

    No one is saying that it’s appropriate to speak about anyone like that, the poster has been dealt with and most people who read the thread (I got to page 3 before I decided to leave it as it was turning into a bashing thread) knew not to engage with that poster.

    ./QUOTE]

    The point I'm making in relation to that post is in respect of the bigger picture.

    There are actually posters here denying it is an issue.

    Its been described as juvenile and someones valid opinion, while its also been suggested that because they went for breast work that the comment was valid. Another suggested it was appropriate because they were scamming the system.

    Before it was deleted, the post was thanked by a number of like minded posters.

    The Mods deleted it straight away, do its not anything on them.

    Until posters acknowledge that such posts are actually sexist and un necessary, then Boards has a long way to go. Because that content was sexist and excusing it is part of the problem.




  • Gatling wrote: »
    Several posters admitted they report posters who they believe may be breaching boundaries

    Is that not what people are supposed to do?




  • anewme wrote: »

    The point I'm making in relation to that post is in respect of the bigger picture.

    There are actually posters here denying it is an issue.

    Its been described as juvenile and someones valid opinion, while its also been suggested that because they went for breast work that the comment was valid. Another suggested it was appropriate because they were scamming the system.

    Before it was deleted, the post was thanked by a number of like minded posters.

    The Mods deleted it straight away, do its not anything on them.

    Until posters acknowledge that such posts are actually sexist and un necessary, then Boards has a long way to go. Because that content was sexist and excusing it is part of the problem.

    What is the problem? The post was actioned. The problem is not as big as you seem to want us all believe. Again, certain posters are intent on shutting discussions down, and cry that sexism or whatever is everywhere. They usually have about 3 examples in threads with hundreds if not thousands of posts and run with those examples endlessly thinking it somehow proves what they believe.




  • anewme wrote: »

    What is the problem? The post was actioned. The problem is not as big as you seem to want us all believe. Again, certain posters are intent on shutting discussions down, and cry that sexism or whatever is everywhere. They usually have about 3 examples in threads with hundreds if not thousands of posts and run with those examples endlessly thinking it somehow proves what they believe.

    The problem is if people here dont see that obvious sexist post as sexist, then they actually wont ever see a sexist post.

    The people here defending it are part of the problem. That's the issue.




  • anewme wrote: »

    The problem is if people here dont see that obvious sexist post as sexist, then they actually wont ever see a sexist post.

    The people here defending it are part of the problem. That's the issue.

    Maybe every post should be pre approved by yourself.

    Are you free 24 hours by any chance?

    Otherwise it's probably better to let people post even it's possible you might disagree with them- the mods will probably pick up the pieces if that latter earthshaking catastrophe occurs and we shall somehow strive to carry on discussing contentious issues that will never see agreement across the board.




  • snoopsheep wrote: »

    Maybe every post should be pre approved by yourself.

    Are you free 24 hours by any chance?

    Otherwise it's probably better to let people post even it's possible you might disagree with them- the mods will probably pick up the pieces if that latter earthshaking catastrophe occurs and we shall somehow strive to carry on discussing contentious issues that will never see agreement across the board.

    You are responding to a post I didn't make




  • snoopsheep wrote: »

    You are responding to a post you made but have attributed to me. Maybe take a break!

    Nah its to anewme, but someone has broken the quotes!




  • snoopsheep wrote: »
    Nah its to anewme, but someone has broken the quotes!

    Oh my days, this is embarrassing for all of us haha. It should be fixed now. It's me that needs the break ;<




  • anewme wrote: »
    Funny that, it's always the same suspects dishing out rampant sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, islamophobia, etc. etc. Always the same people.

    No it isn't. If they were always doing it they would be perma-banned. This is a good example however of how you see this type of thing all over the place, even were it doesn't exist.


  • Advertisement


  • No interest in the thread in question but generally the mods are pretty fair when given the time to assess the situation. Tokyo listed comprehensive stats that the sexism was dealt with.

    Could the issue be that looking at every post in a black and white way is unworkable given the vast array of opinions individuals hold in society?


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement