Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like a heavy shower is arriving in the Limivady area around now and with no marginality in play (as discussed by a poster previously), there should be a nice covering snow from the shower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

https://streamable.com/s87k5q

Dropped to 1.4c in that shower, cold air brought to the surface in the downdraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Snowing in Westport. Decent sized flakes.

Well, shiver me timbers! ( and the rest of me!)

We have a hail shower even out here.. small globs of ice hurled against the door... Getting darker and darker - and colder and colder....

Wonder if it will turn to snow;; Getting quieter in the impacts.

West mayo offshore

Snowing here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Was out the back and about half an hour ago a light fall of hail fell out a totally blue sky right above.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

sryanbruen wrote: »
    -5.7C at the Kilcogy climate station in Cavan, the lowest April temperature in Ireland since -6.2C at Clonroche, Wexford on 5 April 2018.

As for April 1908 MT, several Irish stations had 2-3 snow falling days which presumably all occurred after the 19th. The monthly weather report from the UK Met Office does mention: "For a whole week it was of daily occurrence in many parts of the kingdom, developing into widespread and rather heavy storms on the 23rd, and culminating in an April snowstorm of unprecedented severity on the next days over England and Ireland". It is specifically reported that much of the snow melted as it fell so depths or accumulations could not be accurately measured.

The attached Irish Times extract give a good picture of the situation and a few more details on how it actually affected Ireland.

I don't think these stations are counted. It was -6.2 in Monaghan at 5am when I had a look. And in the North Katesbridge recorded -7.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

Dropped to 1.4c in that shower, cold air brought to the surface in the downdraft.

Good stuff! You're doing well today. I tried to thank you by hitting the "thanks" button but bizarrely it's not working for you but it is for other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

A dusting in Buncrana this morning

highdef wrote: »
    Good stuff! You're doing well today. I tried to thank you by hitting the "thanks" button but bizarrely it's not working for you but it is for other posters.

The thank function is working again. Must've been an issue at my end. Sitting in warm sunshine in the back garden. Not a breath of wind. Just the sounds of nature to be heard.

highdef wrote: »

Yes we are doing well, Pity we couldn’t get a more organised band overnight. Maybe some more snow showers tonight... then warming up.

• Advertisement

Just been outside. There is a dusting of snow atop the far mountains, veiled by thick heavy clouds

And a real, sweet warmth in the sunshine. Bliss!

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

So sunny and warm in the direct sunlight but freezing inside(in the shade) Feels weird turning the heating on. I'm certain that by this time last year I had stopped using the central heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nqp, I see your weather station on the fence there. Is that really a tarmac area the far side of the fence? If so then there's the cause of your sudden temperature rises. You really need to move it away from there.

549762.jpg

Decent hail shower in Celbridge now.

We had a veritable blizzard here a while ago. I had to go out to rescue my seedling trays and it was.... Yelling" IT IS APRIL!" Sideways snow...

Never thought to be out there with snow batting my face.... ah well! Sun again now..

West mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Moderate sleety graupel here in Dublin 15, temp 4.5C

Nqp, I see your weather station on the fence there. Is that really a tarmac area the far side of the fence? If so then there's the cause of your sudden temperature rises. You really need to move it away from there.

549762.jpg

There is nowhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Beautifully bright and sunny here in North East Wicklow. Temp 15c in sun and 9c in shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

There is nowhere else

You should get a 1.5m pole. Cement into the ground in the grassy area and put the VP2 ISS onto it.

Keep the anemometer where it is on that pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

V6V2UAvI_o.jpg

YSIUyEng_o.jpg

Groupel over lough Derg about half an hour ago. Caught me just as I was nearing home after a long walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lovely but chilly day here in Galway way better than I was expecting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just had a hail shower in North kerry after a relatively nice day.

Was chatting to someone who said we were still to have the SCARIBHÍN in mid April to May 12.

I hope she's wrong.

Explanation at https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-20193747.html?type=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

u0tygMIN_o.jpg

Groupel showers north of Lough Derg earlier this afternoon.

There is nowhere else

Even into the middle of that back garden would be better (I see your house on Google Maps). It should be surrounded on all sides by grass, not half tarmac/concrete, which will warm up very easily in direct sunshine and cause those temperature spikes you've been seeing in cold weather.

Anyway, it's up to you. We've repeatedly given advice on this so it's your choice whether to act on it or not.

pad199207 wrote: »
    You should get a 1.5m pole. Cement into the ground in the grassy area and put the VP2 ISS onto it.

Keep the anemometer where it is on that pole.

With just the ISS on it,then even simpler an 8 foot high square wooden stake driven 2 or 3 feet into the ground would do it
    Then just run the cable fed through half inch waterpipe (to protect it) over to the wind pole at the fence
    The half inch waterpipe overtime will bury itself into the grass/ground and you wont see it
    Put a pull cable into the pipe also for ease of pulling in a new one in years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

1705h it was literally snowing here for 3 mins. Riverstick Co Cork 93m asl

Just had a hail shower in North kerry after a relatively nice day.

Was chatting to someone who said we were still to have the SCARIBHÍN in mid April to May 12.

I hope she's wrong.

Explanation at https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-20193747.html%3ftype=amp

That reminds me of " the gab of May" up in Orkney. WInd and rain/hail storm of great force. Decimated the hatching sea birds.

North Kildare, looking eastish towards South Dublin an hour or so ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Snow in cork city 😲

• Advertisement

North Kildare, looking very slightly South of east, looking towards South Dublin an hour or so ago.

549781.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement