Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

He'll probably get convicted on the softest charge, serve 1-2 years if even and be let out on appeal after everyone's moved onto the next outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Witcher wrote: »
    He'll probably get convicted on the softest charge, serve 1-2 years if even and be let out on appeal after everyone's moved onto the next outrage.

In your opinion, do you think a 24 month sentence is appropriate for killing someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

MrStuffins wrote: »
    In your opinion, do you think a 24 month sentence is appropriate for killing someone?

Plenty of judges in Ireland do , when it comes to driving related deaths

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I agree. You dont want a dodgy cop going free to harass more innocent people or business owners

regardless of the outcome I doubt he had a future in law enforcement to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KB1980

This police officer should be behind bars, he knew exactly what he was doing. Unbelievable that he still had his knee on George's neck even after the paramedics arrived!!!!! And I do not believe for one second that 4 police officers couldn't put George in the back of the police car....an example of an broken police system.

• Advertisement

Plenty of judges in Ireland do , when it comes to driving related deaths

And you agree with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

And you agree with them?

No I don't, sentences here are far to lenient in some cases

No I don't, sentences here are far to lenient in some cases

Grand. So this guy shouldn't get a sentence as lenient either

Can you imagine the craic if he gets off.

There will be mayhem no matter what the result, if he gets off it will be a raging riot/looting if he gets convicted it will start as a celebration turning into a riot/looting.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,178 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What I really can't understand is the timing of the City of Minneapolis to pay $27 million in compensation to his family prior to the court case. Surely this puts pressure on jurors and should have happened after the court case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone ever check up on Floyd's victims of his crimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What I really can't understand is the timing of the City of Minneapolis to pay $27 million in compensation to his family prior to the court case. Surely this puts pressure on jurors and should have happened after the court case?

It's pure madness.....

People actually wronged, need full time care that are still alive wouldn't get that for an actual proper case of negligence.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Really hope the cop goes down, police in America are out of control towards African Americans and hopefully this is a start to making a mends between law enforcement and the African American community.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Character Building

He deserves some sort of sentence but I think proving murderous intent on the part of Chauvin will be difficult. I think the manslaughter charge is possible, but it's too early to know what sort of case the defense might be able to raise until we see the unseen video evidence that displays events leading up to the video that we have all seen. The conflicting expert medical evidence that the defence is submitting which claims that Chauvin's knee did not cause any bruising or block Floyd's airwaves will also further muddy the waters and may be enough to turn that 1 necessary juror.

This case is no slam dunk. I think anything less than Chauvin going down on the most serious charge will see looting and riots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Yup.

My point is, it doesn't matter if he can cough syrup in his system. He died by human hand.

Those playing the "he was a drug-fueled criminal" are playing games. Most likely to be self-identified "Patriots" or Trump supporters or the like. It's not a coincidence.

We all know the ones. Very likely to call someone "woke"
    The only person whose mentioned Trump and woke is you. Let it go, Trump is no longer the president. Free your mind of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A lot of the comments seem a bit oblivious to what he's actually charged with.

Oh, I think he will be done for the manslaughter charge then. And surprised he didn't try take a plea bargain for that.
    Taking a plea is not up to him. He was willing to take a pleas.
    Attorney General said no. It's going to court because they are going for the murder charge.
    The manslaughter charge is an absolute lock imo.
    Murder 3 is likey imo. Murder 2 is less likely.

He deserves some sort of sentence but I think proving murderous intent on the part of Chauvin will be difficult.
    Obviously with multiple around around and being filmed he didn't have murderous intent. which is irrelevant.
    None of the charges require murderous intent. They aren't trying to prove that
    The conflicting expert medical evidence that the defence is submitting which claims that Chauvin's knee did not cause any bruising or block Floyd's airwaves will also further muddy the waters and may be enough to turn that 1 necessary juror.
    You don't need to cause bruising to choke somebody. Nor to you need to close airways.
    He'll need far more than 1 juror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Those things didn’t kill him in that moment though. The person kneeling on his neck did. But for the fact that a police officer happened to be kneeling on his neck for 9 minutes, slowly cutting off his oxygen supply to the degree that he could no longer breathe, he would not have died.

Floyd was claiming he could not breath before he was brought to the ground. He first said it as they tried to put him into the car. "While standing outside the car, Mr. Floyd began saying and repeating that he could not breathe,"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The outcome of this trial won’t change a thing in America, generally there is no smoke without fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think there was more to it than it being about race. I think they knew each other previously as they worked at the same club so there could be bad blood there . In the cops camera everything was going along normally till he started freaking out when they tried to put him in the squad car . So for everyone thinking he just arrested him and started kneeling on his neck it didn't just happen like that . I'm not trying to justify what the cop done but I don't think the cop will get done for murder , as murder has to be premeditated. I still think he'll get locked up though .

My post was not in any way related to race.

Just from looking at the video, Chauvin was looking like he was showing his authority and power to the onlookers. He was telling them “don’t dare tell me how to do my job.”

In a weird way, his actions may have been exacerbated and spurred on by people telling him to stop. It riled him, and made him more determined not to comply..

Had there been no onlookers “berating”him, maybe Floyd would be alive. Just a thought.

Chauvin was “sticking” it to the onlookers as much as he was to George..

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gladerunner

Im not normally shocked by the content on boards.ie, but to see this man dying on the pavement being described as an unfortunate incident is beyond the realms of possibility for me. Those 9 mins seemed to go on forever, Chavin had ample opportunity to release the pressure and calm the situation down, isnt that what cops are supposed to be trained for ! Even the cop that tried to intervene was pushed to the side.

Somehow a life can be devalued and extinguished, and because it happens in America, its seems as part of the game over there.
    And so what if he was a criminal, does that mean we should allow cops to be murder people they dont like ? Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mellor wrote: »
    A lot of the comments seem a bit oblivious to what he's actually charged with.
    Agreed on this. Or at least, people hear 'murder' and think intent to kill has to be proven, whereas it doesn't with these charges.

I also agree that the 3rd degree charge is the most likely. I can see the defence making an argument that he didn't intend to harm, but I cannot see how they make a defence against the argument that putting your knee on a man's neck and leaving it there for 9 minutes while he tells you he can't breathe before losing consciousness is depraved indifference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Really hope the cop goes down, police in America are out of control towards African Americans and hopefully this is a start to making a mends between law enforcement and the African American community.

stats and studies say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aido101111

It was definitely murder, he had time as well as a group of people pleading with him just to get off his neck. George said "I can't breathe" over 20 times. If anyone thinks this is not murder then I've lost faith in humanity!

People are getting upset over the 9min video but ignore the entire video of the arrest.
    He was resisting arrest and was complaining he couldn't breath the entire time when he clearly could - cos he was resisting getting into the car.

I think it hinges on whether the pinning is police training or not, if so and the state of Floyds health/toxicology , he should go free. If not then a conviction is appropriate.

The notion that he should be convicted (as people here suggest) to appease the mob is abhorrent. Rioters should be dealt with.

paw patrol wrote: »
    People are getting upset over the 9min video but ignore the entire video of the arrest.

The 9 min video is the upsetting part!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Aido101111 wrote: »
    It was definitely murder, he had time as well as a group of people pleading with him just to get off his neck. George said "I can't breathe" over 20 times. If anyone thinks this is not murder then I've lost faith in humanity!

Would you not wait to hear all the evidence first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aido101111

KaneToad wrote: »
    Would you not wait to hear all the evidence first?

What more evidence would you need to hear? It was all captured clearly on video!

The 9 min video is the upsetting part!

but it isn't the entire story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Fandymo wrote: »
    Floyd was claiming he could not breath.

He had the C19 virus.

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    but it isn't the entire story.

What is not in doubt is that George Floyd died at the hand of that cop. It was homicide. You agree with this, correct?

Advertisement