Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite quiz question?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭golfball37

For those of a certain certain age David Bailey was one of the most famous fashion and portrait photographers of his time. He only ever did wedding photography once. For whose wedding?

I read about him last year at one of the Kray twins wedding and the shenanigans that went on. Hardly that? Ronnie was gay so must be the other one- reggie. The article was about one of them making a pass at him

The only actor with at least one film credit every year since 1954.

Malcolm McDowell?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,168 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

golfball37 wrote: »
    I read about him last year at one of the Kray twins wedding and the shenanigans that went on. Hardly that? Ronnie was gay so must be the other one- reggie. The article was about one of them making a pass at him

Correct. It was reggie krays wedding.

Malcolm McDowell?

considering he didn't get his first credit until 1964 i'm going to say no.

Malcolm McDowell?
    considering he didn't get his first credit until 1964 i'm going to say no.

He's old enough - could have been a child actor for all I know :p

I'm gonna go with two, and leave it at that.. It's probably some french or Italian bloke :pac: Or someone who is an 'actor' , but has 'film credits' for other as well as acting, like director, producer, or dolly grip :D

So I'll say Michael Gambon, and Redford :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Is this a trick question? Isn't there a pseudonym that actors use for work they don't want their name to actually be associated with? Same with directors, writers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Hitchcock?

Probably an obscure one alright..... Could be <insert actor's name> appears courtesy of eg Sinatra.... Bogart....

This can't go on much longer.... Like the bloke in Dirty Harry, "We gots to know" :p

I'll put you all out of your misery. The actor in question is James Hong.

v_166871.jpg

the older kids may know him better as

big-troubel-in-little-china-james-hong.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Am I alone in thinking that one was a little obscure? :)

Anyway, according to his Wikipedia filmography, there are several years with no film appearance at all....and anything before 1957 was uncredited....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hong_filmography

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Is this a trick question? Isn't there a pseudonym that actors use for work they don't want their name to actually be associated with? Same with directors, writers etc.
    alan smithee for directors, IIRC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Anyway, according to his Wikipedia filmography, there are several years with no film appearance at all....and anything before 1957 was uncredited....
    that seems to be incomplete - lots on IMDB which is not listed on wikipedia (e.g. the years 1962, 63 and 64:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0393222/#actor

imdb is a much better source for film and tv credits

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0393222/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Have had a look there in the meantime all right.

It fills in the "missing" years....but still says the 1954 appearance was uncredited. An impressively long career, all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Back to the last soccer one.....10-0 for Hungary v El Salvador in 1982 is correct.

Nobody having a stab at my boxing question from a few pages back? - what did Cassius Clay change his name to on the night that he beat Sonny Liston to win the World Heavyweight Championship?

Cassius X

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

alan smithee for directors, IIRC.
    It used to be. Till this https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118577/

What is "Alan Smithee" is an anagram of ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Em, anal sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

The Alias Men, but that's an urban legend, it was chosen because it was a believable name that was not in use in Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

One is tremolo, the other trill maybe?

Tr is for an instrument e.g. triangle, trombone, trumpet.

tr is to waver the music note e.g. trill, tremolo, turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

For any military history buffs: to what was Air Chief Marshall Leigh-Mallory referring when he spoke about "the greatest feat of flying of World War 2"?

• Advertisement

I believe it was managing to land a glider right beside Pegasus bridge during the Normandy landings.

A fantastic place to visit, not that it's especially scenic, but the atmosphere is something else, and it's just the same on the beaches...

Well answered. The addendum to the question is that the two pilots of the lead Horsa glider, Jim Wallwork and John Ainsworth, became the first allied troops to touch french soil on d day when they were thrown through the window of their glider on impact and knocked unconscious when they struck the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

For any military history buffs: to what was Air Chief Marshall Leigh-Mallory referring when he spoke about "the greatest feat of flying of World War 2"?

Was that the ‘Doolittle raid’ on Japan in 1942?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Was that the ‘Doolittle raid’ on Japan in 1942?

No, it was the landing of a glider right on its target on d day, as answered above. Whether it was truly the greatest feat of flying during the war is definitely open to debate, i think the dambusters would be a popular answer, but it is what the Allied d day air commander believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

No, it was the landing of a glider right on its target on d day, as answered above. Whether it was truly the greatest feat of flying during the war is definitely open to debate, i think the dambusters would be a popular answer, but it is what the Allied d day air commander believed.

There were hundreds of gliders used. On the law of averages, a few were bound to land precisely on target!

There were hundreds of gliders used. On the law of averages, a few were bound to land precisely on target!

I'm not certain how many gliders were used for the assault on Pegasus Bridge but it definitely wasn't hundreds, probably just a small handful. And as the lead glider, there was probably more pressure on Wallwork to get it right and act as a guide for others, as well as the pre planned target of ripping a hole in the barbed wire that surrounded the landing area. To land precisely on target, 50m from the bridge without the germans even realising it was impressive enough if you ask me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I also like the picture rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭chooseusername

branie2 wrote: »
    I also like the picture rounds
    Or anything that can't be Googled .

... just an addendum to the original quote by Leigh-Mallory. Some versions give it as "the greatest feat of precision flying of World War 2"

"
    ...when they were thrown through the window of their glider on impact and knocked unconscious when they struck the ground.

Forgot that part - was regaled with story after story by an old gent at the Café Gondrée (AKA Pegasus Bridge Café), I just kept the wine flowing and the stories just kept coming. Fact and fiction were well and truly intertwined but the pilot coming through the windscreen was certainly mentioned - more than once, probably :)

• Advertisement

I'm not certain how many gliders were used for the assault on Pegasus Bridge but it definitely wasn't hundreds, probably just a small handful. And as the lead glider, there was probably more pressure on Wallwork to get it right and act as a guide for others, as well as the pre planned target of ripping a hole in the barbed wire that surrounded the landing area. To land precisely on target, 50m from the bridge without the germans even realising it was impressive enough if you ask me anyway.

6 gliders used in what they appropriately called Operation Deadstick.

Advertisement