Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish family appeal mandatory quarantine..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

Has she never stayed in a hotel before? Looks like an OK hotel room to me, not sure I'd want to spend a couple of weeks in it with kids but that's how quarantine works.

Not sure what they were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Does the price include a tip?

According to the nurse it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

tom1ie wrote: »
    So are you saying the whole variants thing is overstated and exaggerated?

Variants exist and they won't stop existing. There were UK variants as well though right? Why aren't the UK on the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hoboo wrote: »
    Been good enough for direct provision and homeless families for months and even years, shes doing 2 weeks ffs.

Are you asking us to have sympathy for Maggie Cash now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ted1 wrote: »
    How could they do the grocery shopping in Easkey while in quarantine ?

And how were they getting there from Dublin Airport. I'm guessing they don't have a car in the long term car park.
    Valhallapt wrote: »

A cheaper and easier strategy would be to tell them to isolate for 14 days, point out the local gardai will make a couple of visits and get a pcr test every third day.

We can't even get close contacts or covid positive people to isolate for 14 days. Self policing does not work.

As for paying over the odds. How? 12 nights in a hotel with all meals and snacks @ €6000 for 5 people = €100 each per night. Not bad really.

If they'd given them a third room she'd have complained that it was difficult to keep an eye on the kids when split over 3 rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you upset you didn't leave after the bust? Because your post stinks of bitterness. Medals for everyone who didn't leave Ireland. True patriots.

No, I’m saying her attitude stinks. Skips off and waltzes back expecting special treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

Just read the article again and am wondering what sort of idiots this couple are? They've come from Perth which has a very strict quarantine process. You're basically brought by the army to a hotel where you've to stay for two weeks.

But this woman thinks she could back here and would be able to buy a birthday cake?

Idiots!

• nc6000 wrote: »
    Has she never stayed in a hotel before? Looks like an OK hotel room to me

Not sure what they were expecting.

I certainly wouldn't be cribbing if I opened my hotel room door and walked into that. I've definitely kipped in much worse.

I'll be having a gander at Crowne Plaza next time I travel.

Great free advertisement for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Variants exist and they won't stop existing. There were UK variants as well though right? Why aren't the UK on the list?

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I certainly wouldn't be cribbing if I opened my hotel room door and walked into that. I've definitely kipped in much worse.

I'll be having a gander at Crowne Plaza next time I travel.

Great free advertisement for them.

l'd pick the Clayton, a lot closer and a free shuttle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

tom1ie wrote: »
    Indeed

Exactly. Why isn't Offaly or Dublin on a strict lockdown and curfew. There must be local variants there with the high numbers and all.

I assume you posted about my use of the word variant.

I was saying we should have had far stricter controls for people travelling from all countries during the last year, including the UK

As per Michael Martin
    “I am very concerned about this new mutant variant, which has a 70 per cent additional transmissibility which is far in excess of anything we have experienced to date,” he said.

You will possibly hear this a lot this week, from him and government, when they are explaining why the current restrictions have to stay in place.

Surely it would have been a great idea to have at least have made some effort during the last 12 months to control our borders and stop these foreign variants (UK) and others getting into Ireland( 11 months after the irish lockdowns started)

Because the UK variant is the dominant one here already. They were banned from coming here entirely over Christmas don’t forget

Because the UK variant is the dominant one here already. They were banned from coming here entirely over Christmas don’t forget
    Advised not to travel is not the same thing as a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

But this won’t work, there are 5 of them and only 3 beds. So the two adults have to sleep in the suitcases

Luxury! When we had to do mandatory quarantine, we had to eat our meals from a bin bag with a straw. Each day we got a cup of bathwater each to drink, a cold cup mind, that we had to drink using a rolled up newspaper. We used to live in one room, with half the floor missing and we were all were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling into the landfill that sat below.

We had no beds, so two of us had to sleep in the toilet, the others in vents and if you were lucky, in the wardrobe or on the window sill.

For exercise, we had to get up in the middle of the night, go down the sewers and swim in a tiny pipe, with the rats for company. And then when we got home, the hotel manager would thrash us to sleep with our full and unopened suitcases...if we were lucky! But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were quarantined.And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Lots of sympathy for them on social media.

I have zero, they knew the situation. Irish or not, nurse or not the virus hasnt a clue who she is or what her plans are so she and her family are just as susceptible to the virus as anyone else. Suck it up buttercup, do your time and then your good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

jrosen wrote: »
    Lots of sympathy for them on social media.

I have zero, they knew the situation. Irish or not, nurse or not the virus hasnt a clue who she is or what her plans are so she and her family are just as susceptible to the virus as anyone else. Suck it up buttercup, do your time and then your good to go.
    But they had to wait an hour for the room to be ready...and they can't go and get a birthday cake!....the inhumanity of it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Homeless families are allowed leave their hotels I thought?

Or are they locked into their rooms?

No, well spotted anomaly. They are shackled every night. But only for 2 weeks at a time, once every year for the number of MONTHS/YEARS that they live in a hotel room.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

Is she really a nurse at all or maybe starting medical college....

She's a moany bltch...

She goes in about her kids used to do hand stands in oz ..they can still do them in the room by cleaning up...state of the place...an empty wardrobe...

Or why cant they store suitcases in the hallway between rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

They came from Australia which has some of the tightest quarantine rules in the world. You literally can't leave the room over there for the 2 weeks. At least here they allow you to go for a stroll outside. As mentioned above they knew the rules. Our ****in country is effectively shut. There's a new strain from Papua New Guinea after being found in Oz so how we know they didn't bring that with them.

• Advertisement

They came from Australia which has some of the tightest quarantine rules in the world. You literally can't leave the room over there for the 2 weeks. At least here they allow you to go for a stroll outside. As mentioned above they knew the rules. Our ****in country is effectively shut. There's a new strain from Papua New Guinea after being found in Oz so how we know they didn't bring that with them.
    Is that a VUI or a VOC? There are well over 650K genetic variants BTW.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

gmisk wrote: »
    But they had to wait an hour for the room to be ready...and they can't go and get a birthday cake!....the inhumanity of it all!

It's so tone deaf on their part. FFS.
    'Appealing', give me strength.
    People here have been through so much in the past year.

I recently attended a relative's funeral, online.
    And knowing that the person's grandchildren who loved him, and he them, couldn't be there, because of the restrictions in numbers, was heartbreaking.
    That's only one small story. I know there's thousands of others.

Their whining about two weeks in a hotel room makes me sick. Apparently she is now upgraded to a suite in the hotel but 'it's still a litany of disasters'. Her words, not mine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

And the whining about her kids.

Has she any inkling of how disrupted the lives of all kids in Ireland have been for the past year! Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone think that she won't be able for restrictions here and will be returning to Oz in the next year or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Special treatment how? Surely they are GETTING special treatment by being forced to quarantine in a hotel
    Why aren't they allowed quarantine at home like everyone else does? They are covid negative while covid positive people and their close contacts can wander freely.

Can people really be trusted to quarantine at home at this stage FFS. They're coming from a high risk country. And by her own admission, she wanted to be free to skip off and get a birthday cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Although, I understand that they have upgraded their accommodation now. Why did the hotel not give them the better rooms in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

appledrop wrote: »
    Yea and I'm sure they expected all their extended family to greet them and make a big fuss over them now they are 'home'.

I've news for them no birthdays parties here in Ireland for us either.

As I've mentioned my son will be having his 2nd lockdown birthday soon celebrating with no one apart from his parents, so they can suck it up like the rest of us.

Same, our first born didn't get to meet her family for ten weeks, and will soon have her first birthday at home with just her mam and dad. She's never even met her paternal grandmother who is terminally ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Luxury! When we had to do mandatory quarantine, we had to eat our meals from a bin bag with a straw. Each day we got a cup of bathwater each to drink, a cold cup mind, that we had to drink using a rolled up newspaper. We used to live in one room, with half the floor missing and we were all were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling into the landfill that sat below.

We had no beds, so two of us had to sleep in the toilet, the others in vents and if you were lucky, in the wardrobe or on the window sill.

For exercise, we had to get up in the middle of the night, go down the sewers and swim in a tiny pipe, with the rats for company. And then when we got home, the hotel manager would thrash us to sleep with our full and unopened suitcases...if we were lucky! But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were quarantined.And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you

Rathmines bedsit from the 70's?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Antares35 wrote: »
    Can people really be trusted to quarantine at home at this stage FFS. They're coming from a high risk country. And by her own admission, she wanted to be free to skip off and get a birthday cake.

She wanted a party. She's complaining about "not even" being able to buy a birthday cake when they had planned to be here in time for the kid to have her birthday in Ireland. Doesn't sound like they were just planning on buying a cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

jahalpin wrote: »
    Nothing is being handed to them, they are paying well above market rates for the stay

They are discounted rates if you include transport, security and food

Advertisement