Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish family appeal mandatory quarantine..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

Antares35 wrote: »
    Returning people who expect special treatment while everyone who stayed had to suck it up for a year = bad, yes.

Yea, you meet them at a barbecue and there going on about how brilliant country they were in was blah, blah, blah, how backward Ireland is.

I said it outright at one 'Well why did you come back here if were you where was so great?

Stunned silence then but I wasn't listening to their crap anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Returning people who expect special treatment while everyone who stayed had to suck it up for a year = bad, yes.

Special treatment how? Surely they are GETTING special treatment by being forced to quarantine in a hotel
    Why aren't they allowed quarantine at home like everyone else does? They are covid negative while covid positive people and their close contacts can wander freely.

• I just watched the room tour...

The poor husband's group chat no doubt lit up haha

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You've proved my point. I've done the returning emigrant too, as have many others, and I often got this type of commentary. There is no hierarchy of merit just people who think there is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

But one of them had a birthday and Ireland is the only place you can get a birthday cake...

Yea and I'm sure they expected all their extended family to greet them and make a big fuss over them now they are 'home'.

I've news for them no birthdays parties here in Ireland for us either.

As I've mentioned my son will be having his 2nd lockdown birthday soon celebrating with no one apart from his parents, so they can suck it up like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

appledrop wrote: »
    Yea, you meet them at a barbecue and there going on about how brilliant country they were in was blah, blah, blah, how backward Ireland is.

I said it outright at one 'Well why did you come back here if were you where was so great?

Stunned silence then but I wasn't listening to their crap anymore.

You must be great craic at parties.

And making out that they didn't suck it up in whatever country they were in isn't cool. All over the world people are following the rules and restrictions. And sometimes people need to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

I just watched the room tour...

The poor husband's group chat no doubt lit up haha

I just find it very embarrassing for the husband and the kids, bitch all you want on the way out but they have to live here now after all that, kids going to school after having their faces plastered all over the media.

• Special treatment how? Surely they are GETTING special treatment by being forced to quarantine in a hotel
    Why aren't they allowed quarantine at home like everyone else does? They are covid negative while covid positive people and their close contacts can wander freely.

The real disaster is the picking and choosing which countries face quarantine.

The two weeks should be the standard for everyone travelling from ALL countries and that should have been the case for the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t bring my kids from a Covid free country to a country that’s in level 5 lockdown and requires 2 weeks mandatory quarantine.

Especially if I worked in the health system
    She's back for a job and presumably for good. It doesn't seem to be the quarantine they have an issue with, it's the where.

• Advertisement

The two weeks should be the standard for everyone travelling from ALL countries and that should have been the case for the last year.

Why? When Irish resident people can ignore their 14 day self isolation and them and their close contacts can still go to work/tesco/gaf parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yea and I'm sure they expected all their extended family to greet them and make a big fuss over them now they are 'home'.

I've news for them no birthdays parties here in Ireland for us either.

As I've mentioned my son will be having his 2nd lockdown birthday soon celebrating with no one apart from his parents, so they can suck it up like the rest of us.

My granddaughter will have her first birthday in the summer and i wont have seen her or held her by then and maybe not for another few months . I have no time for this womans whinging .

100%. And when they are talking about the extension of the current restrictions this week, and the government keeps reminding us of the “variant” , and this is why restrictions have to continue, that is 100% on them, as variant only got here in Feb, 11 months after lockdowns started

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭golondrinas

She is in for a shock when she has to work 12 hours in hospital in full PPE gear which will be hot,uncomfortable and very hard to work in.

Will she complain on news about that aswell?

You talking about the 3 days at 12 hours each. Then gets to work the other days as an agency nurse. Arrives back in her original job drained, cause that’s what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Hoboo wrote: »
    Been good enough for direct provision and homeless families for months and even years, shes doing 2 weeks ffs.

It's not quite the same, the family are paying over EUR 4k to stay in the hotel for the 12 days. The rooms in hotels like these are really not designed for people staying in them all day they are more suitable as just places to sleep

This variant nonsense needs to stop. A country goes the extra mile in doing extra research and discovers a variant.
    Meanwhile countries that don't do extra act like they don't have any variants and look down on the former.
    There's probably a Ballinasloe or a Ballymun variant knocking about.
    Heck we can call it the "Meaningful Christmas" variant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Special treatment how? Surely they are GETTING special treatment by being forced to quarantine in a hotel

I don't think the article said any of them had a negative covid test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

My niece, out near Dubai, tells me that this week a British teacher has been jailed for a year for refusing to wear a mask and fighting with police.

Considering that the vast majority of people, the consenting public, have been bewildered by the lack of inbound border controls, this family and others adding fuel to their populist, emotive fire, have a brazen cheek. As others pointed out, these people who decide to travel for their own motivations were never going to stay put without being 'facilitated' to do so.

They are paying well over the odds for these hotel stays so they aren't getting any special treatment at all

This variant nonsense needs to stop. A country goes the extra mile in doing extra research and discovers a variant.
    Meanwhile countries that don't do extra act like they don't have any variants and look down on the former.

Well then the government need to stop using the word “variant” every time they talk about the restrictions

And they then need to also stop telling us how much more transmissible it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭ted1

is_that_so wrote: »
    She's back for a job and presumably for good. It doesn't seem to be the quarantine they have an issue with, it's the where.

The rules state us a mandatory hotel.
    It’s very tempting for granny , grandad etc to call over to a house to see their grandkids who they may never have seen before as their parents had no interest in staying I the country and paying extra taxes to help out after the bust.
    I don’t think you could find an Irish granny that would t sneak over.

How could they do the grocery shopping in Easkey while in quarantine ?

jahalpin wrote: »
    They are paying well over the odds for these hotel stays so they aren't getting any special treatment at all

My point is that the nonsensical hotel quarantine is the special treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I wouldn’t bring my kids from a Covid free country to a country that’s in level 5 lockdown and requires 2 weeks mandatory quarantine.

Especially if I worked in the health system

Upping sticks and getting a new job and bringing 3 kids half way around globe is not a trivial decision. Its not like they booked a weekend jaunt to the algarve.

Only thing being achieved here is to ensure no one connects in Dubai from now on, this measure will back fire, we could have had transparency from where people were coming from, now the obvious thing to do is to lie, come in via Belfast or connect else where, we'll have no idea where travellers are coming from now, no way to monitor.

A cheaper and easier strategy would be to tell them to isolate for 14 days, point out the local gardai will make a couple of visits and get a pcr test every third day.

Now all these travellers will go unchecked once they arrive in Ireland.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Exactly this . People haven’t seen grandchildren , people have seen their parents in care homes , people in care home feeling lonely and sad , people have lost businessess they put life savngs in , people cant pay mortgages , people cant buy homes .
    Nurses working throughout this and have likened it to a war zone . Doctors crying from stress . People sick at home with Covid worried in case they get worse
    People living in lockdown with three kids in a cramped apartment for months

And madam waltzes in here and whinges because we didnt hand her an apartment to quarantine in for 14 whole days

Christonabike

Nothing is being handed to them, they are paying well above market rates for the stay

The rules state us a mandatory hotel.
    It’s very tempting for granny , grandad etc to call over to a house to see their grandkids who they may never have seen before as their parents had no interest in staying I the country and paying extra taxes to help out after the bust.
    I don’t think you could find an Irish granny that would t sneak over.

How could they do the grocery shopping in Easkey while in quarantine ?
    Are you upset you didn't leave after the bust? Because your post stinks of bitterness. Medals for everyone who didn't leave Ireland. True patriots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,173 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So are you saying the whole variants thing is overstated and exaggerated?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭Be right back

I should have probably done the same. Live streamed all the antenatal appointments that I had to attend alone, or baby meeting her family for the first time after ten weeks, through a window. We all just got on with it. Problem with people like her is they think they are some kind of special exception.

And she is an oncology nurse, dealing with people who have real issues. Self-centred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Does the price include a tip?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Might be whataboutery, but I have no sympathy for the family.

The homeless families living in hotel rooms for months on end, or the people in direct provision who are in worse conditions don't get a word in. Just Ryan Tubridy giving sweet, meaningless sound bites when Christmas time comes around.

Homeless families are allowed leave their hotels I thought?

Or are they locked into their rooms?

• Advertisement

• Why? When Irish resident people can ignore their 14 day self isolation and them and their close contacts can still go to work/tesco/gaf parties.

Because COVID didn't just sprout up out of the Bog of Allen.

If we had stringent travel controls early on we'd have less cases and less deaths.

Advertisement