Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Sorry, just replying to this thread to bookmark it as it won't bookmark otherwise (stupid new site)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Next question, how does road tax work when picking up a new car. I obviously won't have a disk but need to drive it to skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Deposit paid today for collection in July. Cant wait.

Need to research EV home charger now. Any advice or recommendations on this?

There's a massive thread on home chargers. It really depends on you and what you're looking for, there's almost no wrong answer. Things to consider are if you intend to get or have solar and if you have other heavy load devices such as a power shower or heat pump, if you do you'll want some form of load balancer. The other factors is if you need it installed from the meter or the main fuse board. Currently it's fine to install from the meter but some installers ( on networks who sub contract electric Ireland installations) won't do it. Depending on your home a meter installation can be a lot less cost and distruption. Lastly, you cannot start any work before applying for the grant and grant approval only lasts 6 months. If you get the charger but the car is delayed and your grant approval expires, you're out 600 euro.

Ive an Andersen SE because I value style and convenience. Some neighbours have big black cables running all over the shop. They probably think I'm a fool, I definitely think they're fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Bought an EV recently and taxed it in the garage on my phone. Reg plate and last 6 digits of the VIN as password. The dealer needed me to email the confirmation to him, something to do with them needing proof of tax for claiming back the SEAI 5k. Disc took 3 days to turn up in the post.

Paid for it with a bank draft.

Got my charger grant approval 2 business days after submitting application. Just need to get a charger now so I can put the granny cable away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Went for a Zappi charger myself as have solar. Plenty of features including Myenergi hub so it's possibe to configure many different modes to benefit from solar and night rate electricity. Slightly more expensive that some chargers, but worth the investment, come March time I will be able to charge the car from the excess solar generation. Beats sending it to the grid for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭eltoastero

I'd also recommend the zappi. I've on an old v1 (installed 3 years ago) and it has worked well over the years. When I did have an issue (broken Communication Pin in the cable) the myenergi team were fantastic to help with the issue (troubleshooting on the phone, then sending out the original installers to have a look, then ultimately replacing the tethered cable, zero cost to me as it was within the 3 year warranty period).

Choosing between tethered and untethered cable is a personal choice. Tethered was so handy when I was charging everyday with the PHEV, but now that I charge way less frequently I can totally see why an untethered unit could be better (tidier) and not any less convenient. Plus, if the Communication Pin in the cable ever breaks then any type 2 cable can be used (rather than needing a spark to install the tethered version).

Recently upgraded the unit by pairing with a hub, very useful as I can now control it via the app (and get usage data) and update the firmware.

myenergi zappi +1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

It ok to charge it to 100% once a week it balance out the battery pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

If you go into a branch you can transfer more than the online limits.

• Advertisement

True, but service in banks is appalling these days. Queue on the street to get into Newbridge AIB and then just one teller. Electronic banking is the future just needs some improvements

Is anyone having issues with schedule pre-heating of the car via the app? Set the car to heat the cabin this morning but it didn't work. I have heard that this is a known issue and there is a software fix due at some stage. Also read car needs to be plugged in and charging for this to work. What are peoples experiences so far on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If it's like the Niro and others, the car does need to be plugged in for scheduled heating to work. But it can be started manually using the app without being plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

you will be sound for a few days, normally takes a day or so to be able to tax it, pin is the last 6 digits of the vin. also if you collect it in the next fe days you have to pay tax for the month of january

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vico1612

CAr plugged in and charging ... Preheat works for me (note that cabin isn't toasty, but I get instant heat when I turn on HVAC)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭eltoastero

if I attempt to pre-heat the car while not plugged in, I only get cold air so the front and side windows are not cleared, but the rear window will demist. The heating works fine when the ignition is on, I'm hopeful this points to a software issue rather than an inverter issue. I've yet to test the preheating + charging actually, I'll give that a go tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭ffocused

The boat that docked in Cork last week may have had EV6 on it after all, just got a call from dealer and I am collecting mine on Friday

This Friday I'm still waiting on my ioniq 5 im hoping it on the boat.Im getting nothing from the hyundai dealer other than he know there boat down in Cork.I hoping he call me on Monday because that when he get deliverys.

Picking up my GT Line tomorrow all going well. Physical banks are an absolute nightmare these days, there's only 3 AIB branches in north Dublin that deal in cash anymore. Though the staff where actually pretty helpful. Lots of issues with Aviva trying to move over insurance online unfortunately.

For those interested I'm getting the gtechniq ceramic coating applied next week. I was trying to arrange to get it done immediately but didn't get enough notice. The chap gave me a piece of advice, he recommended I ask to dealership not to wash the car or and even if possible to leave the wrapping on it. Oftentimes you'll get the first damage to your paint work when the dealership does the first clean so something to be aware of.

We're are you getting gtechniq ceramic coating done is worth doing how much is it costing you if you don't mind me asking thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Onlyzeone

This issue is starting to annoy me. I have tried pre-heating with the remote on the app but has not been warm or "pre-heated" as requested.

It is my wife's car and we have only had it a week, I have not given it enough time to figure it out yet but it certainly is not as simple as it should be

I went with recommendations from work and the detailing forum here. Costs 650 euro but I'm also getting some upholstery done and the glass. Should be about 500 historically but there a big labour shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

For a Tesla? Surely Kia don’t charge that, I assume they’re an affordable brand when I see them?

Post edited by Manion on

It all depends on what your definition of affordable is. Look at any of the mainstream brands and there is very little difference in pricing based on model and spec - ID4, Enyaq, Ioniq 5, EV etc are all in same price range. Sure, 50k+ for a car is a lot of money, but not for example if you are trading in a car say worth 40k + which many people probably are doing in this case. Then the cost to upgrade is relatively affordable, no different to upgrading any car to something similar in size.

You also need to look at what you get for your money, it's all relative. A brand new car, designed and built from the ground up as an electric vehicle, high safety, lots of features and driver aids which are add ons for many other manufacturers. EV6 in particular is getting rave reviews globally and a strong contender for car of the year, I'm sure Kia are delighted with this aspect and then can just charge what they want.......:-)

Some of the Kia and Hyundai pricing is questionable in terms of delivering value for money, the price of Sorento and Santa FE for example have taken a serious jump over the old models and I just can't see the value there - no electric, unknown future value for diesels in particular. I would really question how wise it is to buy one of those larger SUV's now.

I am not a badge snob, as previous poster said I am buying a car just happens to be Kia. Budget brands to me are the likes of Dacia etc, all other brands are affordable depending on how deep your pocket is - you cut your cloth as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orla.mccormack

always looking for somewhere more affordable for clothes too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

I just assumed that Kia was a budget brand that’s all, just an observation.

They're repositioning themselves. My current car is a Hyundai i30. I bought it because my 4 year old Mondeo was literally falling apart at the time, needing some new part every few months. I wanted something reliable and functional and it was great for seven years. Only had to replace wipers and tyres. People who have driven unreliable cars tend to have different priorities. I spent my youth pushing clapped out Audis, BMWs, Ford's etc up roads to kick start them.

Anyway, Fast forward, kia and Hyundai now share the same EV platform GIMP, so the theory is I can get all the same reliability Hyundai offer but the kia is positioned as a more fun car. Euro for euro you'll get more features and style from the kia than the Hyundai and it's not like kia had a bad rep before. Once reliability is a give my next priority is comfort, and the EV 6 is incredibly comfortable to drive. Lastly is future proofing, I wont be trading in the car for a long time. Carbon death of the planet and all, so I want something that is as future proof as possible. The kias 800v charging and range I think will do me for a long time.

You see the same badge envy with the Kona electric versus the eniro. The Kona in my mind looks like a toy car, lots of plastic on the exterior. If anything the eniro looks like the premium offering. There is a certain market segment who like brands and badges. Cars are a status symbol. They apply brand as a heuristic in decision making, and that's fine, but you'll need to check your cognitive biases.

I looked at the ioniq first, liked the drive but didn't like the look or spec. I was going to just wait until the Nissan aryria came out but did a search and discovered the EV6, put a deposit down afew days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

Hi

What's a reasonable guess at earliest delivery timeline for an EV6 GT ordered now?

Have the impression from calls to two dealers that it could be many months...

Any steer from those who've done more research appreciated!

Advertisement