Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

amacca wrote: »
    What was it? ad gone now

4wd MF 500 series, maybe a 590.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

amacca wrote: »
    What was it? ad gone now

Mf 575

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    For an "everyday" tractor on a farm, they are cumbersome dogged things.
    A bit of tricking around Vintage shows etc. would be the best use for one.

Neighbour wrapped bales with one for years, sold it to two lads from up Athboy direction.
    Couldn't believe when they arrived with the money, but no lorry.
    They headed off driving it the 50 miles home, and he said he was a ball of nerves waiting for the phone to ring, saying it had calved along the road somewhere.... :D

Neighbours bought a tw25 in Down years ago.
    They drove it to west limerick .
    That was a boring couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

lab man wrote: »
    They are heap of dung

We'd one years ago, faulty lift pump filled the engine with diesel and seized her solid, one door cab is a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Suckler

We'd one years ago, faulty lift pump filled the engine with diesel and seized her solid, one door cab is a pain

It wouldn't be so bad if those doors weren't the weight they were. C0nts of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Suckler wrote: »
    It would be so bad if those doors weren't the weight they were. C0nts of things.

Just think. That's how case nh and others went with a whole solid door the full size of the side of the cab, 30 years later.
    Except just a solid sheet of glass.

They meant well having no obstructions of view out the side but you can't beat having a side window you can open.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Nice old thing, but feck me, its €2000 too dear....

https://www.donedeal.ie/farming?words=massey%2065&campaign=14
    0dYKrIi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

9935452 wrote: »
    No chance of the price including vat.
    I checked the website before posting .
    Generally i find anything up the north is nearly always plus vat. I was told once that most farmers up there are vat registered so plus vat makes more sense.
    Im down limerick direction and have bought tractors and implements off them before so thats where im judging my delivery price on .
    Fair enough , up the country would be cheeper to deliver to. But again looking at from my perspective.
    The exchange price i quoted was from revolut which is henerally known ss one of the cheepest methods of converting currency. .
    I find personally it is one or two percent better than the credid cards .
    I purposefully didnt include a discount on the price.
    The tractor is priced to sell as it is, i dont think you would get much off it. .id also be offsetting my day , diesel , and loss of overtime in going to see it . Which is worth 400 to me .

To me its still just too small. I was offered a jd 6010 4wd with 2k hours in mint condition 2 years ago for 17k without any bargaining. 80hpish
    Probably should have bought it but reckoned it was too small to do much for us . .
    100hp is nearly not big enough any more

But do agree that any tractor would need to be checked out fully. They can turn out to be money pits

Small 4wd tractors sub 70hp are very hard to come across. Around this tractors age the only ones around are the odd Zetor, Case 4210/4220 or an odd Massey 375/365, there may be 1-2others but they would be thin on the ground

The Renault has a shuttle it hard to come across any of the rest with a shuttle. Yes most farmers in NI are vat registered therefore generally you would expect most tractors are plus vat. Most tractor sellers have some level of transport costs factored into the price.

There is a balance between exchange rates and paying by cards. A dealer may discount depending how you pay. It's hard to value tractors at present. That JD you got offered for 17k 2years ago would be worth 20k+ in present market conditions.

What tractor you need is often down to personal choice and what you consider you need. The idea there is a minimum HP everyone needs is a misconception. The further you go up in size the more choice you have.
    lab man wrote: »
    They are heap of dung
    I would not be do dismissive. You have to reflect the price into value. Ya a very basic tractor and only one door is a bit of a pain. Mind you I had a 675 and one door was permanently closed as if you opened it the door would fall off. Signs are it has been sold.

The engine in it was much the same engine I the 275/375/675 tractors

Slava Ukrainii

How did a faulty lift pump fill engine of diesel. Usually when those lift pumps go faulty they will not pump diesel

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

How did a faulty lift pump fill here of diesels. Usually when those lift pumps go faulty they will not pump diesel

A seal fails letting diesel past the cam follower on the fuel lift pump and into the sump

Common enough on older machines

• Advertisement

How did a faulty lift pump fill here of diesels. Usually when those lift pumps go faulty they will not pump diesel

Leak diesel into engine through gasket on rear of pump.....common issue on machines that are regularly run out of diesel

Easy fixed though,either replace pump with mechanical one or fit a spurious elec lift pump

So more s pump fault than an engine fault

Slava Ukrainii

So more s pump fault than an engine fault

Yeah.

Injector pump shaft seals also cause it on some machines

So not an MF575 specific issue

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

jaginsligo wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/massey/27882026

Looks clean with all glass, cheap for a massey I think

Every second ad I click on is taken down. You posted that link only yesterday, they're hardly all selling that quick surely?? :confused:

Every second ad I click on is taken down. You posted that link only yesterday, they're hardly all selling that quick surely?? :confused:

Tractor was an MF 575. I think it was around 6k. I imagine it was sold all right.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-5130/27894290

This won't hang around long I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Tractor was an MF 575. I think it was around 6k. I imagine it was sold all right.

Asking price was 6500 for it

Bullocks wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-5130/27894290

This won't hang around long I'd imagine

You would want to check it well out. 16k hours and he has done a lot of work to it rebuilding engine and redoing pistons. Generally those Cummins engines go forever. However after probably spending half the price he is asking for it on it he is s selling it. It's a bit of a red flag IMO

Slava Ukrainii

9935452 wrote: »
    Asking price was 6500 for it

You pay that for a 165/178 and the 575 if straight is a better tractor. For lads that only have mass MF tractors it would be in the ball park

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

How did a faulty lift pump fill engine of diesel. Usually when those lift pumps go faulty they will not pump diesel

Fuel lift pump, should have elaborated, tank sits high on the back so gravity took over, have seen the same happen a telehandler since, tank was kept full

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

You would want to check it well out. 16k hours and he has done a lot of work to it rebuilding engine and redoing pistons. Generally those Cummins engines go forever. However after probably spending half the price he is asking for it on it he is s selling it. It's a bit of a red flag IMO

Agree, i be very cautious with that one if he only did engine work before xmas
    "Eyes wide open" as they say in the motoring forum

11:00 minutes in, when your conscious that the wife is watching

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

An 1884 County made 132000 sterling at an auction in the UK a few years ago, bought by a West Wicklow man.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭divillybit

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/john-deere-3050-1989-40k-full-set-of-weights/27770339

This nice lookin JD3050 is this weeks classic tractor Im not buying... seller appears to have dropped the price by 2k...ive never driven one but she looks tidy enough for 14k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

One thing i will say about JD tractors is they age incredibly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

divillybit wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/john-deere-3050-1989-40k-full-set-of-weights/27770339

This nice lookin JD3050 is this weeks classic tractor Im not buying... seller appears to have dropped the price by 2k...ive never driven one but she looks tidy enough for 14k.

I remember when they were new, lovely job. The ford 7000 I drew silage with in 1990 got upgraded to one of them, I thought I was the business, didn't feel like work at all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

divillybit wrote: »

There’s a question I’ve never had an answer for.

I presume it’s to get up above dust from tillage work that the air breather is up on such a high stalk ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

_Brian wrote: »
    There’s a question I’ve never had an answer for.

I presume it’s to get up above dust from tillage work that the air breather is up on such a high stalk ?

More than likely, it was a feature on the 4020 back in the 1960's, which was THE classic Americian tractor from that era.
    Having said that, I have a 3140 and there is no pre-cleaner fitted.
    There isn't even the hole in the bonnet for it.
    The marketing men might have decided it made them look more "powerfull" and as it lined up with the exhaust pipe and the centre pillar in the cab, it didn't block the view too much.
    Ford had a similar set-up on the 7000.

Advertisement