Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

"NO RINGING FOR A CHAT" That cracked me up! Mad looking yoke, duncan cab looks tiny on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

hopeso wrote: »
    There was something wrong with the reg on that 165. I don't think there were any 165s sold in 1980, and certainly not one with a round axle. The round axle was not produced after the square axle took over.

Tax book could have been purchased separately

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

endainoz wrote: »
    "NO RINGING FOR A CHAT" That cracked me up! Mad looking yoke, duncan cab looks tiny on it.

Apart from a track-layer, those County's were the cutting edge of 4wd technology at the time.
    Muir Hill would probably have came next,and Dutra a very distant 3rd.

It’s almost comical looking isn’t it.

Turning circle must be massive I’d imagine. Not a yoke for small Cavan meadows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Apart from a track-layer, those County's were the cutting edge of 4wd technology at the time.

Technology definitely advanced with 4wd quite quick so, seen as you could get a Crystal 8045 just a year or so after this one was built. That Ford is super rare and so unique looking though, doubt there were many in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

They are out there, probably more imported by enthusiasts then were sold when new.
    A tree surgeon near me has one with a roof mounted Hiab log grab and a big double drum winch on the back.
    Still in active service.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

endainoz wrote: »
    Technology definitely advanced with 4wd quite quick so, seen as you could get a Crystal 8045 just a year or so after this one was built. That Ford is super rare and so unique looking though, doubt there were many in Ireland.

Fair craic to try get into the cab if were a bit overweight I knew a lad that used to have to lock the steering a bit to get in and out

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/david-brown-1390-4wd/27729449

Really like these and the 1490, I drew silage with a 2 wheel drive one in the late 80's, it was great to drive a big upgrade from the 188 I was normally given. All was good until the brakes failed (brake fluid was leaking) and was told to use the handbrake for the rest of the season....not ideal :eek:

What are they like? I'd like one with a loader

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭amacca

They are out there, probably more imported by enthusiasts then were sold when new.
    A tree surgeon near me has one with a roof mounted Hiab log grab and a big double drum winch on the back.
    Still in active service.

Think I saw that guy doing work around .... only remembered when you described the machinery.

Got through 60 ft or so of a very mature conifer hedge in no time... felled, sawn into logs trailered and gone in a day I think. Impressive I thought (not knowing anything admittedly)

Had an interesting looking tractor on the trailer too.

Still in active service.

See that one a fair bit. He has it a while too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭older by the day

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s almost comical looking isn’t it.

Turning circle must be massive I’d imagine. Not a yoke for small Cavan meadows

A farmer could make a handy living on the amount of ground it takes that thing to turn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Speaking of County’s this is a rather unique project

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭muddle84

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-1594/27845882

This looks ridiculously cheap or am I missing something???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

muddle84 wrote: »

They’re a great tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

That's some value

The mighty mf1200. Breens of ballymoney were some the drainage men of the macamores, drained 1000s if not 10s of thousands of acres and mole drained with a 1200 on dual wheels front and back. Mighty men.

wrangler wrote: »
    You need huge weight at the back, the loader is heavy and very long

Not really huge. The loader is very well made. No twisting. You’d want 750kg behind them.
    The 236 engine is a hard start if worn but they are relatively inexpensive to do up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Case 1594 4wd going good un finished project please phone for further details no phone bidders or time wasters please and no messages thanks for looking

Might be part of the reason. Doesn't say what is still needed. Seems close to completion from pics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭divillybit

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-35-hearse-trailer-the-last-run/27846677

On the day that's in it, if Prince Philip decided not to use a Land Rover defender for his last journey he might have been happy with a Massey Ferguson!

https://www.insider.com/prince-philip-designed-land-rover-hearse-funeral-2021-4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Grueller

Jjameson wrote: »
    The mighty mf1200. Breens of ballymoney were some the drainage men of the macamores, drained 1000s if not 10s of thousands of acres and mole drained with a 1200 on dual wheels front and back. Mighty men.

Martin, Noddy and Ron
    Mick Carroll as the competition with Mick Purcell on the track machine for him. Still no better man at it than Mick Purcell.

• Advertisement

That tractor is a steal at that money.

Grueller wrote: »
    Martin, Noddy and Ron
    Mick Carroll as the competition with Mick Purcell on the track machine for him. Still no better man at it than Mick Purcell.

Carroll’s are big in latter years but wouldn’t be in the running for the scale of work Breen’s done.
    Remember Martin Nick and Peter started with a dragline in the late 50’s and Noddy was still going on farmland up to the start of the pitch drainage in the 00’s.Ron started the golf course in the 90’s. A masterpiece now.
    Liam Murphy done our place in the 70’s along with as lot of land around including a good piece of the boira.
    They were the next biggest for a time.

Is lynn Lacey still on the go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Grueller

I think Laceys are still at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭White Clover

kk.man wrote: »
    I'm nearly certain it wasn't an exact science. I saw a 1980 registered 165 with a round axle. Massey still sold 100 series Tractors a few years after the production.

I am amazed to hear the 188 was so disappointing Wrangler. In my home place we had 165 and 135s they were great Tractors and no end to them. We'd have looked up to the 188 as crown of that series. Relation had a Zetor which I didn't rate at all, weak engine, V poor brakes and three point linkage not suited to Western style implements. They had more up to date features ie the cab and a better road drive but that was it.

The local silage crew when I was a nipper in the late 80's was run by 2 brothers, one on the double chop harvester and the other on the push off buck rake.
    The man on the rake was, and still is a die hard Massey man (he has around 15 of them).He pushed up the silage for 10ish years with an 8 speed MF188. When an upgrade was due, he upgraded to an Ursus 385 4x4 (same as Crystal 8045). He admitted the difference was night and day. Between the high clutch pedal on the 188 and the faffing between the lift and auxiliary valve for the push off rake, the ursus was a revelation with its shuttle like gearbox and independent spool valves.

Saying all that, i'd love a full spec Multi Power 188 to have for playing with!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The local silage crew when I was a nipper in the late 80's was run by 2 brothers, one on the double chop harvester and the other on the push off buck rake.
    The man on the rake was, and still is a die hard Massey man (he has around 15 of them).He pushed up the silage for 10ish years with an 8 speed MF188. When an upgrade was due, he upgraded to an Ursus 385 4x4 (same as Crystal 8045). He admitted the difference was night and day. Between the high clutch pedal on the 188 and the faffing between the lift and auxiliary valve for the push off rake, the ursus was a revelation with its shuttle like gearbox and independent spool valves.

Saying all that, i'd love a full spec Multi Power 188 to have for playing with!

Was the eight speed multi power, at least with multi power there was four reverse gears and so a better chance of getting the right gear for going up a pit,
    I cant really remember how many gears my 188 had, I think it was three.
    The crystal spoilt me on the pit, I used to cut silage with my uncle with a double chop, he'd cut 100 acres twice and I cut 50 acres twice, The 188 was great for drawing in.

I just edited to say I still have the dinge in my shin where the clutch pedal slipped from my foot and hit my on the shin
    All that work and none of tractors were four wheel drive,....... even my lawn mower is four wheel drive now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭White Clover

wrangler wrote: »
    Was the eight speed multi power, at least with multi power there was four reverse gears and so a better chance of getting the right gear for going up a pit,
    I cant really remember how many gears my 188 had, I think it was three.
    The crystal spoilt me on the pit, I used to cut silage with my uncle with a double chop, he'd cut 100 acres twice and I cut 50 acres twice, The 188 was great for drawing in.

I just edited to say I still have the dinge in my shin where the clutch pedal slipped from my foot and hit my on the shin
    All that work and none of tractors were four wheel drive,....... even my lawn mower is four wheel drive now

No. The 8 speed was not multi power. They were 8 x 2.
    Multi powers were 12 x 4.
    At the time they had a 185 drawing in and on one particular long draw every year another 8 speed 188 and a multi power 188 were put drawing too. The multi power 188 was a flyer on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Was the weather drier back in the 70's and 80's as a general rule because nearly all work was done with 2wd tractors .I remember some of our silage in wet marshy ground was always drawn with 2 wd 885 tractors and nathional trailers ,most summers with the last 20 years you barely spread fert. with a 2 wd tractor in these places during the summer .cousins of mine did hundreds of acres of tillage again all with 2 wd zetors ,it is hard to figure out

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

2WD was all that was generally available.
    But silage would have been later, June at least so better chance of dry ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

cute geoge wrote: »
    Was the weather drier back in the 70's and 80's as a general rule because nearly all work was done with 2wd tractors .I remember some of our silage in wet marshy ground was always drawn with 2 wd 885 tractors and nathional trailers ,most summers with the last 20 years you barely spread fert. with a 2 wd tractor in these places during the summer .cousins of mine did hundreds of acres of tillage again all with 2 wd zetors ,it is hard to figure out

I remember all the lime spread up to mid 80s by one contractor with DB996s
    First 4wd I remember was Muir Hill used to move diggers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

cute geoge wrote: »

They were smaller lighter tractors then.

I'm back spreading and spraying with a Ford 6640 2wd.
    Weighs feck all and a miser on diesel.
    Hardly makes a mark on the wettest of ground here.

Advertisement