Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭hopeso

They were smaller lighter tractors then.

I'm back spreading and spraying with a Ford 6640 2wd.
    Weighs feck all and a miser on diesel.
    Hardly makes a mark on the wettest of ground here.

Have you the 5 bag vicon to go with it? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

hopeso wrote: »
    Have you the 5 bag vicon to go with it? :cool:

Rearing up with a ton in the vicon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭DBK1

cute geoge wrote: »
    Was the weather drier back in the 70's and 80's as a general rule because nearly all work was done with 2wd tractors .I remember some of our silage in wet marshy ground was always drawn with 2 wd 885 tractors and nathional trailers ,most summers with the last 20 years you barely spread fert. with a 2 wd tractor in these places during the summer .cousins of mine did hundreds of acres of tillage again all with 2 wd zetors ,it is hard to figure out
    I’d say you’re right, and even into the 90’s as well. There was hay baled every day for weeks back then. Now it’s hard to get 2 days together to make silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

DBK1 wrote: »
    I’d say you’re right, and even into the 90’s as well. There was hay baled every day for weeks back then. Now it’s hard to get 2 days together to make silage.

The old ones would have nursed the hay back then, shaking it, making haycocks if they thought it was going to rain, most of it would have been cut July/August which were usually OK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

DBK1 wrote: »

Not where I'm from there wasnt ...most years anyway it was a ****ing nightmare as soon as you had it rowed up it was raining and you had to shake it out again

Father was a ball of stress with weather most years he was going for hay late 80s early 90s.

It was like a weight off his shoulders and everyone else's when he started doing mostly pit and then bag silage. The sheer luxury of not needing a run of good weather and not having to curse every cloud in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭endainoz

amacca wrote: »
    Not where I'm from there wasnt ...most years anyway it was a ****ing nightmare as soon as you had it rowed up it was raining and you had to shake it out again

Father was a ball of stress with weather most years he was going for hay late 80s early 90s.

It was like a weight off his shoulders and everyone else's when he started doing mostly pit and then bag silage. The sheer luxury of not needing a run of good weather and not having to curse every cloud in the sky.

Ah yes, were all aware of how the auld lads can get very excited during silage time! I guess for many of them growing up it is one of the most important times of the year.

https://www.met.ie/climate/30-year-averages you can see the averages and trends for Irish weather on the met eireann website, there's some really interesting data on it. I'm not sure I believe this argument that Summers used to be better x amount of years ago, I think a lot of the time it's rose tinted glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Jjameson wrote: »
    Not really huge. The loader is very well made. No twisting. You’d want 750kg behind them.
    The 236 engine is a hard start if worn but they are relatively inexpensive to do up.

As far as i remember , when you take off the full back actor , the manual says to put on a 1800kg or 2000kg weight block on the back of them .

I scrapped a 50b back actor a few years ago . The 2 arms and main frame weighed 850kgs . That was without the 5 hydraulic cylinders , slewing ram , bucket , hydraulic hosing , and valve chest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,103 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

9935452 wrote: »
    As far as i remember , when you take off the full back actor , the manual says to put on a 1800kg or 2000kg weight block on the back of them .

I scrapped a 50b back actor a few years ago . The 2 arms and main frame weighed 850kgs . That was without the 5 hydraulic cylinders , slewing ram , bucket , hydraulic hosing , and valve chest

I wouldn't be surprised, Loader is way too heavy for it without decent weight behind, counter weight takes the weight off the front axle s well, you need the front almost lifting off the ground when the bucket is empty

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭divillybit

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/2000-new-holland-ts115-23995-no-vat/27734807

This year 2000 TS 115, 10k hours on it but still looks like good value compared to other TS115's on Done Deal, and I thought it would have sold already... This 1995 MF 399, fine tractor, 5k hourd but for the same money doesent look like as good a value...

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-399/27858395

The TS 115 would get my vote over the 399..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Nice photo of it outside the orange lodge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Nice photo of it outside the orange lodge

Don't ye be heading up there niw asking if they take punts... :D

There is a trailer manufacturer up that part of the world who is a serious David Brown collector, I'd be surprised if that tractor hasn't passed through his hands at some stage or other...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Don't ye be heading up there niw asking if they take punts... :D

There is a trailer manufacturer up that part of the world who is a serious David Brown collector, I'd be surprised if that tractor hasn't passed through his hands at some stage or other...

Porter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

What did you use for a weight instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

timple23 wrote: »

Not a hope of that fitting down the chimney

Neighbour fitted an old forklift weight this...
    hI2DGa0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Neighbour fitted an old forklift weight this...
    hI2DGa0.jpg

That’s very tidy.

Jjameson wrote: »
    What did you use for a weight instead?

I bought the back actor for s few parts for the hx and sold the rest in pieces.
    All thats left are the 2 leg rams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭muddle84

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

muddle84 wrote: »

Do not know what they are like. But looks good value. Back lift I'd rated at 2.8T. It supposed to have a shuttle as well 12X12. There could be vat on it which would bring the price to nearly 12k euro. If no vat about 10k.

Would be an ideal tractor for a small west of Iireland farm where a bit of turf was being done as well. However you need a mechanic that was familiar with Renault and not too far from a place that had parts for them

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Do not know what they are like. But looks good value. Back lift I'd rated at 2.8T. It supposed to have a shuttle as well 12X12. There could be vat on it which would bring the price to nearly 12k euro. If no vat about 10k.

Would be an ideal tractor for a small west of Iireland farm where a bit of turf was being done as well. However you need a mechanic that was familiar with Renault and not too far from a place that had parts for them

Perking 236, should be OK

Perking 236, should be OK

It is not the engine at all that will catch you, it's if you have a gearbox or a hydraulic problem. Or a cable from one of the leavers go. You want a lad that is familiar with them and know how to fix the common fault's

Had an issue with one of the CX's. PTO was getting stuck on and off so could not start while spreading fertlizer. Local lad came and shorted out the PTO dead start. He told me to finish the fertlizer and drop it up to him. He took off the rear wheel and stripped out the linkages and freeded it up. He also got the temperature gauge back working. Somebody not familiar with them would not have know how to get me going to finish last of fertlizer.

Slava Ukrainii

That one is plus vat.
    Most stuff in the north is plus vat.
    The exchange rate has dropped a good bit in the last few months
    The best exchange rate i can get is 0.86.
    Which is putting it near 12.5k.
    Plus delivery , which could add 300 to 500 euro to it depending on where its going in the country.
    Another 200 to clear it . .
    13 ish is enough for as 70hp tractor with 10k hours on it
    Could be more if it needed tyres on the back

That one is plus vat.
    Most stuff in the north is plus vat.
    The exchange rate has dropped a good bit in the last few months
    The best exchange rate i can get is 0.86.
    Which is putting it near 12.5k.
    Plus delivery , which could add 300 to 500 euro to it depending on where its going in the country.
    Another 200 to clear it . .
    13 ish is enough for as 70hp tractor with 10k hours on it
    Could be more if it needed tyres on the back

You are not allowing for any discount on the price. Paying by card will get you the best rate on the day. I expect you get it delivered for 300 max unless you are going to need it took to Dingle or Castletownbere. He will not have a wue looking for it. There is a chance it will not be plus vat. Usually AM indicate + vat. If it is plus vat I expect 8K+vat would buy it.
    TBH I think 10-11k would be loads of you could buy it for it. On the other hand it hard to get small 4wd and one's with a shuttle harder still add in a decent rear lift and it a rare find. If a tractor is clean and well minded I would favour it over a rough one with 7-8k hours or even l as.

The biggest problem buying a second hand tractor is you need to get it checked out completely, there is no second chances and even at that you needs some sort of lads to do the odd jobs that will arise

Slava Ukrainii

You are not allowing for any discount on the price. Paying by card will get you the best rate on the day. I expect you get it delivered for 300 max unless you are going to need it took to Dingle or Castletownbere. He will not have a wue looking for it. There is a chance it will not be plus vat. Usually AM indicate + vat. If it is plus vat I expect 8K+vat would buy it.
    TBH I think 10-11k would be loads of you could buy it for it. On the other hand it hard to get small 4wd and one's with a shuttle harder still add in a decent rear lift and it a rare find. If a tractor is clean and well minded I would favour it over a rough one with 7-8k hours or even l as.

The biggest problem buying a second hand tractor is you need to get it checked out completely, there is no second chances and even at that you needs some sort of lads to do the odd jobs that will arise

No chance of the price including vat.
    I checked the website before posting .
    Generally i find anything up the north is nearly always plus vat. I was told once that most farmers up there are vat registered so plus vat makes more sense.
    Im down limerick direction and have bought tractors and implements off them before so thats where im judging my delivery price on .
    Fair enough , up the country would be cheeper to deliver to. But again looking at from my perspective.
    The exchange price i quoted was from revolut which is henerally known ss one of the cheepest methods of converting currency. .
    I find personally it is one or two percent better than the credid cards .
    I purposefully didnt include a discount on the price.
    The tractor is priced to sell as it is, i dont think you would get much off it. .id also be offsetting my day , diesel , and loss of overtime in going to see it . Which is worth 400 to me .

To me its still just too small. I was offered a jd 6010 4wd with 2k hours in mint condition 2 years ago for 17k without any bargaining. 80hpish
    Probably should have bought it but reckoned it was too small to do much for us . .
    100hp is nearly not big enough any more

But do agree that any tractor would need to be checked out fully. They can turn out to be money pits

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/massey/27882026

Looks clean with all glass, cheap for a massey I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

jaginsligo wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/massey/27882026

Looks clean with all glass, cheap for a massey I think

They are heap of dung

lab man wrote: »
    They are heap of dung

For an "everyday" tractor on a farm, they are cumbersome dogged things.
    A bit of tricking around Vintage shows etc. would be the best use for one.

Neighbour wrapped bales with one for years, sold it to two lads from up Athboy direction.
    Couldn't believe when they arrived with the money, but no lorry.
    They headed off driving it the 50 miles home, and he said he was a ball of nerves waiting for the phone to ring, saying it had calved along the road somewhere.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

lab man wrote: »
    They are heap of dung

What was it? ad gone now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

amacca wrote: »
    What was it? ad gone now

Must have been a boardsie

Advertisement