Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

This was at the bottom of the same page. https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-4455/27707177?

Not a whole lot more expensive even with the VAT and appears to be from a professional seller (so maybe some comeback) and has a loader. The NH/Fiat yoke would seem expensive in comparison.

That tractor is actually a Valtra A series painted in MF colours. At €26k or thereabouts for an 11 year old 100 HP tractor with loader it seems good value, esp compared to €33k or there abouts for a MF 5455 or NH T5050 . Would have a Sisu engine, cabs are very tight though.

Similar to this tractor
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/valtra-a95-with-loader/27802408

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

jimmy G M wrote: »
    That tractor is actually a Valtra A series painted in MF colours. At €26k or thereabouts for an 11 year old 100 HP tractor with loader it seems good value, esp compared to €33k or there abouts for a MF 5455 or NH T5050 . Would have a Sisu engine, cabs are very tight though.

Similar to this tractor
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/valtra-a95-with-loader/27802408

I think that the later 6 cylinder tractors in the 5400 range were Sisu. Not the 5455 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I think that the later 6 cylinder tractors in the 5400 range were Sisu. Not the 5455 though.

Yeah 5455 Perkins engine, 4455 Sisu engine.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Yeah 5455 Perkins engine, 4455 Sisu engine.

We had a 5465 here and I am nearly certain it had a Sisu engine. I think there were two versions. I think the earlier version with Perkins engine which might be been rated 120HP and the later version with the Sisu was rated for 125HP or 130HP. Something like that

(Now I could be wrong and someone else probably knows for definite)

Edit: Yeah. Google agrees with me. https://www.w-equipment.com/machinery-specifications/massey-ferguson/tractor-4wd-miscellaneous/5465-dyna-4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

We had a 5465 here and I am nearly certain it had a Sisu engine. I think there were two versions. I think the earlier version with Perkins engine which might be been rated 120HP and the later version with the Sisu was rated for 125HP or 130HP. Something like that

(Now I could be wrong and someone else probably knows for definite)

Edit: Yeah. Google agrees with me. https://www.w-equipment.com/machinery-specifications/massey-ferguson/tractor-4wd-miscellaneous/5465-dyna-4.html

They are 110 hp and wouldn't pull the socks off a dead man the ones that had the turtle and hare dyna might be better but I doubt it

• Advertisement

lab man wrote: »
    They are 110 hp and wouldn't pull the socks off a dead man the ones that had the turtle and hare dyna might be better but I doubt it

Possibly. Am just quoting from the official documents. Never had one hooked up to measure it. The earlier models had different engines. I think the 5465 was originally 6l while the later ones has 6.6l engines.

This one has max power at 132 Hp for 5465

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/398777/Massey-Ferguson-5400-Brochure-86-145.html?page=8#manual

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-8340-sle-1994/27826299

Good value, I'm sure it will need another 10k to be spent on it, but even then would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

maidhc wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-8340-sle-1994/27826299

Good value, I'm sure it will need another 10k to be spent on it, but even then would be ok.

That's nice & won't lose much money even in 10 years if it's tidied up & kept right. Mad trade for anything classic with a ford badge, tractors included

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Possibly. Am just quoting from the official documents. Never had one hooked up to measure it. The earlier models had different engines. I think the 5465 was originally 6l while the later ones has 6.6l engines.

This one has max power at 132 Hp for 5465

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/398777/Massey-Ferguson-5400-Brochure-86-145.html?page=8#manual

The kubota I have now would do twice as her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭White Clover

lab man wrote: »
    The kubota I have now would do twice as her

I'd say you were unlucky with your 5465.
    Plenty of them around giving sterling service.
    One near me has a jf900 singing nicely every summer and towing a trailer after the harvester too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

Dear wise boardsies:
    I'm looking for a digger for stone house renovation selfbuild / gravel farm road / tree planting

MF 50B
    https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/mf-50-b/27364004

Would these hold their value? Is it overpriced? I guess based on the tread title I wouldn't be buying it, but it looks serviceable for the age and seller says its in good order. Front wheel angle a concern?

2k extra seems like a big step up 3CX:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/jcb-3cx-4x4/27818079

Any tips welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

thebigmc wrote: »
    Dear wise boardsies:
    I'm looking for a digger for stone house renovation selfbuild / gravel farm road / tree planting

MF 50B
    https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/mf-50-b/27364004

Would these hold their value? Is it overpriced? I guess based on the tread title I wouldn't be buying it, but it looks serviceable for the age and seller says its in good order. Front wheel angle a concern?

2k extra seems like a big step up 3CX:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/jcb-3cx-4x4/27818079

Any tips welcome

I be inclined to hire the digger and driver. He do 2-4 times the work you will do in a day. A track machine is better for a roadway as it can level.it with it tracks. When you are doing the road hire a roller and spend the day on it rolling. This we'll make a huge difference to the long term to the roadway

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Gillespy

That's a fine looking 50B and looks like good value to me if it drives, stops and steers well. Torque is miles better than clutch, more useable and more realiable. Buckets might be missing a tooth but look sound, cab looks very good. One bald front tyre, also missing the cover around the levers for the front loader which won't stop it. Pin and cone quick attack could make selling it again easier as it's a popular design.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭k mac

18--23k. Hours are low it looks clean. If it's a 1-2 owner local machine where its history can be verified up towards the 23k and depending on warranty. If it's not as clean as it looks then you can know a bit off it. At present prices hard to see it for much less than 20k. However it is only 85hp

What would it be worth without the loader. Would dealers often take a loader off to sell a tractor

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Gillespy wrote: »
    That's a fine looking 50B and looks like good value to me if it drives, stops and steers well. Torque is miles better than clutch, more useable and more realiable. Buckets might be missing a tooth but look sound, cab looks very good. One bald front tyre, also missing the cover around the levers for the front loader which won't stop it. Pin and cone quick attack could make selling it again easier as it's a popular design.

That does look to be good value, some of the buckets never got used at all I reckon. It's over 30 years since I drove one, what's the view of the front bucket like from the cab?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Gillespy

blue5000 wrote: »
    That does look to be good value, some of the buckets never got used at all I reckon. It's over 30 years since I drove one, what's the view of the front bucket like from the cab?

Not the best really. Bonnet isn't big, loader itself is tidy its mainly because you are sat fairly low and a bit back. Levers on the left hand side bloke a view down to that front wheel. It's grand when you get used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

If that was nearer to me I'd be tempted, not going to loose much value. What engine is in them? is it the same as MF 135 or bigger?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

jaginsligo wrote: »
    If that was nearer to me I'd be tempted, not going to loose much value. What engine is in them? is it the same as MF 135 or bigger?

4 pot I think. Same as a 178 would be my guess.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

k mac wrote: »
    What would it be worth without the loader. Would dealers often take a loader off to sell a tractor

I was looking at a tractor in West Cork a few years back and the dealer said no as he had got caught with loafers sitting around the place for 5/6 years. Especially factory fitted loaders are really only suited to that particular tractor. That said I know plenty dealers that would sell a loader off a tractor if the price is right as the tractor is much more saleable than the loader

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

4 pot I think. Same as a 178 would be my guess.

Perkins 236 engine that was in the later 165s that had wet brakes, don't know what teh 178 had, the 188 had the 248 perkins.
    Local contractor had a 50b for years. There was so much wear in it at the end that he'd have to judge where the backactor was going to stop swinging, he'd have to stop it a couple foot from the trailer and it'd swing the rest of the way over the trailer itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

wrangler wrote: »
    Perkins 236 engine that was in the later 165s that had wet brakes, don't know what teh 178 had, the 188 had the 248 perkins.
    Local contractor had a 50b for years. There was so much wear in it at the end that he'd have to judge where the backactor was going to stop swinging, he'd have to stop it a couple foot from the trailer and it'd swing the rest of the way over the trailer itself

You sure it wasn’t the 212 in the later 165’s?

Always thought the 236 didn’t appear until the 265

You sure it wasn’t the 212 in the later 165’s?

Always thought the 236 didn’t appear until the 265

What was in the early 165s then, I thought the late 165s and 265s were the same engine, will have to go to google now

looked it up, you're right, early 165s was perkins 203, I had a 175 one time, it must've been a 236

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

wrangler wrote: »
    What was in the early 165s then, I thought the late 165s and 265s were the same engine, will have to go to google now

Always thought early 165’s were 202 and round axle

Later were 212 and square axle

I see now that both 50b and 175 had the 236 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

The 50b is a sought after machine around here.
    Fitted with an axle off a combine and backactor off and you have an enviable loader machine for less than 5k.

Jjameson wrote: »
    The 50b is a sought after machine around here.
    Fitted with an axle off a combine and backactor off and you have an enviable loader machine for less than 5k.

You need huge weight at the back, the loader is heavy and very long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭hopeso

This is correct. It was the 168 and 265 that had the 236 engine.

Edit: some 165s had the 212 engine and round axle...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭kk.man

I'm nearly certain it wasn't an exact science. I saw a 1980 registered 165 with a round axle. Massey still sold 100 series Tractors a few years after the production.

I am amazed to hear the 188 was so disappointing Wrangler. In my home place we had 165 and 135s they were great Tractors and no end to them. We'd have looked up to the 188 as crown of that series. Relation had a Zetor which I didn't rate at all, weak engine, V poor brakes and three point linkage not suited to Western style implements. They had more up to date features ie the cab and a better road drive but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭hopeso

kk.man wrote: »
    I'm nearly certain it wasn't an exact science. I saw a 1980 registered 165 with a round axle. Massey still sold 100 series Tractors a few years after the production.

I am amazed to hear the 188 was so disappointing Wrangler. In my home place we had 165 and 135s they were great Tractors and no end to them. We'd have looked up to the 188 as crown of that series. Relation had a Zetor which I didn't rate at all, weak engine, V poor brakes and three point linkage not suited to Western style implements. They had more up to date features ie the cab and a better road drive but that was it.

There was something wrong with the reg on that 165. I don't think there were any 165s sold in 1980, and certainly not one with a round axle. The round axle was not produced after the square axle took over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Advertisement