We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Benefits of being a Garda

12346»

Comments

Which flies in the face of the recommendations of the various enquiries over the last decade. It's actually mind-boggling what they've done to training.

A shambles. They simple are not ready to come out and tutors can't fill in that big a gap in knowledge.

A shambles. They simple are not ready to come out and tutors can't fill in that big a gap in knowledge.

They'd be lucky if there is even a trained tutor on the unit. No courses have been run in a long time. It's been done on an ad-hoc basis.

Quick question for serving or retired members, do they pay for your train tickets to Templemore?

I know it sounds stupid but just trying to find and account for as many expenses as I can. A return ticket from Tipp to dublin is about €40 so a big chunk of your €184

Marty1476 wrote: »
    At the moment it’s three weeks online, one week in Templemore and 12 weeks in a station, after that it’s 16 weeks back to Tipp and fully attested with a BA in applied policing studies from UL

Certainly not how I want it done but beggars can’t be choosers

Am I missing something here? Are you saying that a BA is awarded after 20 weeks academic work plus 16 weeks work experience - something in the ballpark of a single academic year?

What QQI level is the BA please?

Am I missing something here? Are you saying that a BA is awarded after 20 weeks academic work plus 16 weeks work experience - something in the ballpark of a single academic year?

What QQI level is the BA please?

I’m not sure when the BA is awarded, I’ve been told by others that it’s after your probation ends but ultimately yes it’s 20 weeks college and 12 weeks in a station. The training program of phase 1,2,3 etc has been turned on it arse due to covid and to get bodies out on the front line.

I don’t know what the QQI is under the new structure

The probation last for two years.
    Pretty sure they have to do a dissertation also, it was required over 20 years ago, so I'm sure it's still there.

Quick question for serving or retired members, do they pay for your train tickets to Templemore?

I know it sounds stupid but just trying to find and account for as many expenses as I can. A return ticket from Tipp to dublin is about €40 so a big chunk of your €184

You used to be able to buy them at a reduced rate in the canteen. Not sure if this is still the case.
    The Railway station is easily a mile walk from the college. Usually you can get a lift, and on occasions there was a shuttle bus operating, but it's worth knowing the local story there too.
    If the canteen ticket is no longer an option, early online booking of train tickets can cut the fare dramatically. Cork-Dublin is normally about €80, but if you can book 2 weeks in advance it'll only cost €26 return.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    The Railway station is easily a mile walk from the college. Usually you can get a lift, and on occasions there was a shuttle bus operating, but it's worth knowing the local story there too.
    I'd be hoping that a 2km walk wouldn't be a huge problem for a Garda in training.

I'd be hoping that a 2km walk wouldn't be a huge problem for a Garda in training.

It probably would be for a few current guards 😜😜

You misunderstand.

You have to walk through tipperary ..... by night

It can be fun in winter. They get more snow there than you would expect. The Premier County isn't big on street lighting either, and the railway station is quite rural.
    By day the route to the station makes a fine flat first leg to the "Clune" 3 mile run.

I’m not sure when the BA is awarded, I’ve been told by others that it’s after your probation ends but ultimately yes it’s 20 weeks college and 12 weeks in a station. The training program of phase 1,2,3 etc has been turned on it arse due to covid and to get bodies out on the front line.

I don’t know what the QQI is under the new structure

The BA program is with UL ands it’s three phases of 34 weeks each. It’s been modified during CoVid times, as it’s now a little longer. But it’s defo not shorter than 102 weeks to achieve the BA - Level 7.

There’s no allowances for travel. It’s completely on you to make it work. However there could probably be someone in your intake who lives near you and may oblige with a lift, you could share fuel costs.

cluedo123 wrote: »
    The BA program is with UL ands it’s three phases of 34 weeks each. It’s been modified during CoVid times, as it’s now a little longer. But it’s defo not shorter than 102 weeks to achieve the BA - Level 7.

Is it fair to say that under the new structure of training the BA will be awarded after the proposed training and probation period of two years? On the job learning?

I’m genuinely asking a question that I don’t know the answer to

I’m in contact with people from 191,192 etc who were pushed through training during covid, Nobody seems to have actual answers on the BA despite intake 193 being attested after 3 weeks (I may have my intake numbers wrong please forgive me )

Does anyone know will we be on the €184 a week for the 2 years while we’re on training? And anyone have any idea what Phase 2 and Phase 3 are?

It says we’ll be paid €184 a week during phase 1 of the training so was just wondering does that change after phase 1 then

It's €184 while you are a trainee. Once you are attested you are on full pay. You are attested upon entry into Phase 2.

Post 2004 entrants have to work until 55 even if they have 30 years service. As of 1st April 2004 all new entrants must have 30 years service AND attained the age of 55....

Society & Culture