Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits of being a Garda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

CD2020! wrote: »
    Yeah a 45 minute lunch or none at all, hours on end sitting with prisoners, horrible abuse interviews, attending suicides, sitting with the body while waiting for doc to attend. Searching a junkie with a wrap in their foreskin (who wants to pull that back?) Pee S and worse left after prisoners in the car. These are the all extra pieces nobody thinks about u till they are confronted with it and left shook.

Yup, you could start a list in fairness. Randomly hearing someone shouting 'RATS' from a random window, or a group of 20 lads throwing a bottle missing your head by millimetres and having to walk away unless you wanted World War 3 to break out. Sadly you have to know your battles in the job, the effort of going into that crowd, nicking 3/4 people only for it a to go to a JLO or court and a judge been on another planet vs as I said a riot breaking out, members getting injured and the unit been down members for the rest of the tour, when there are barely any members to begin with along with it been heavily edited and plastered all over social media, thus an incoming GSOC complaint. Yes you could see if Public Order are around or if other units can assist, but again all out war, getting injured and the courts not reprimanding people for it.

That said, even as an ex member if I ever seen a member in trouble, I would assist. As I said I did not hate the job, it was its archaic way of thinking and working that done it for me. Yes it is changing but life is to short to be waiting on change at snails pace and then trying to function in a dysfunctional court system. Phek that, I was not invested that heavily in the job.

Still glad to have done it, and would tell anyone not to do it but I would be honest about what to expect. As someone said to me it's less Road Wars and more Heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Why did u leave TallGlass, if u don't mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

LilacNails wrote: »
    Why did u leave TallGlass, if u don't mind me asking.

Sorry busy few days rather than radio silence!

Honestly, aspects of the job where just insane, only way to describe it.

In essence it was around 5 things that killed it for me.

Slow system, to get you into areas that match your academic skillset, even in areas in AGS that are like the private sector crying out to fill posts with professionals in these areas.

The regular on the face of it should be manageable, instead its overwhelming.

Unrealistic workloads and unpredictable workloads.

Job absolutely weights on you.

Personality wise, I have no shame in saying it. I was not suited to front line policing, too soft and not hard enough. I was in the middle more towards the softer end of policing.

I remember leaving. End of tour, a neutral medium. Sad to go, pleased knowing I done the right thing for myself.

I will say, I think AGS loses a lot of talent, by the fact you need to start as a Garda in a front line policing role. Aspects of the job are for certain people and not others, people avoid AGS for that reason.

AGS has some really really really good people in it, I do think they alienate alot of people that would like to contribute to it and would really give alot to AGS, but they are put off by the front line policing role. That needs looking at in my eyes, AGS should not be losing talent due to archic rules.

Courts, Judges and Government need to have the backs of not only Gardai on the frontline but all the frontline staff. Any assult on any frontline worker should be met with an iron fist by the courts.

All that said, if you want to go for it, do it. Go in with the intention of if it ain't for me I am walking, be my advice. However, that advice applies when in a station. The college is a different world and has its own challenges! I wouldn't shut up shop over the college, everyone finds it a challenge it's not easy in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

TallGlass2 wrote:
    Courts, Judges and Government need to have the backs of not only Gardai on the frontline but all the frontline staff. Any assult on any frontline worker should be met with an iron fist by the courts.

The problem is the fact the gardai are in fact an extension of the health service, but the bit we don't truly wanna deal with, the psychological department. This is what frontline staff are dealing with, highly complex social and psychological issues, which have been left fester for eons, and it's getting worse. Coming down hard won't work for such situations, it just further complicates the situation, and creates further dysfunction, most of these offenders in fact need serious professional help, some long term, some indefinite, but these services don't actually exist, and we 're unwilling to create them. And this is where it all ends up, gardai having to deal with it as best as they can, but they're not appropriately trained or supported to do so, so it just continues to escalate, I.e. it's a positive feedback loop. I can't see this changing anytime soon, so for your own well being, I'd say you done the right thing, best of luck, and thank you for trying

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    All that said, if you want to go for it, do it. Go in with the intention of if it ain't for me I am walking, be my advice. However, that advice applies when in a station. The college is a different world and has its own challenges! I wouldn't shut up shop over the college, everyone finds it a challenge it's not easy in training.

Thanks for sharing your experience, its appreciated.

Interesting to hear that about the college, what was it about the college you or others found challenging?

• Advertisement

Zux wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your experience, its appreciated.

Interesting to hear that about the college, what was it about the college you or others found challenging?

If you are an adult joining then you will find it difficult.
    The college treats everyone like they are secondary school children, and I include the whole 'no-one leaves this room until the person responsible owns up' type of rubbish.
    If you have been used to looking after yourself and being in charge of your own life, then the college comes as a big shock. It is nothing like a third level institution.
    there are many rules as to when you can and cannot leave the grounds, or when you have to go to bed!
    It is a very challenging time to get through.
    It doesn't last forever though.....

bubblypop wrote: »
    The college treats everyone like they are secondary school children, and I include the whole 'no-one leaves this room until the person responsible owns up' type of rubbish.
    If you have been used to looking after yourself and being in charge of your own life, then the college comes as a big shock. It is nothing like a third level institution.
    there are many rules as to when you can and cannot leave the grounds, or when you have to go to bed!

Gotcha, I figured thats what you were referring to.

Surely people dont arrive to training so naive as to think its going to be like their experiences in College though?

Its Law Enforcement training after all.

Surely people dont arrive to training so naive as to think its going to be like their experiences in College though?

law enforcement training doesn't need to treat grown adults like teenage children however.
    Just something to be aware of.

law enforcement training doesn't need to treat grown adults like teenage children however.
    Just something to be aware of.

Thats fair enough, appreciate the answer !

sounds fcuking ridiculous, if you want new recruits to be adults leaving, treat them as adults during

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,489 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The problem is that too many trainees act like children while they're in the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

You plan to send people out onto the street where they will be the one having to make the decisions, nobody else.
    But you treat them like children when you are training them?
    It doesn't add up and many struggle to make the transition.

Witcher wrote: »
    The problem is that too many trainees act like children while they're in the college.

they effectively are, we all were at that age, so you should try treat them like adults, so they know what its like to be one, not try figure it out in the middle of the night while dealing with lunatics tanked on drink and drugs

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    they effectively are, we all were at that age, so you should try treat them like adults, so they know what its like to be one, not try figure it out in the middle of the night while dealing with lunatics tanked on drink and drugs

I was 23 when I joined, had been living out of home since 18. There were people aged up to 28 years old training with me, many with families.
    these days people in their late 30s can and do join.

I was 23 when I joined, had been living out of home since 18. There were people aged up to 28 years old training with me, many with families.
    these days people in their late 30s can and do join.

know a chap that went in his 20/30's, ran out of it, too much bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Witcher wrote: »

I have great respect for the Gardaí but it takes one bad experience to change this. Many are very professional some are not. Some I experienced had a tendency to blame the victim. The other day I pointed out to gardai on the beat a clear breach of the Covid Regulations by a business operating when it should not, I mentioned quite politely the Health Act, 1947 the Garda's response was to repeat the Act with a confused expression on his face as if he had never heard of it and I was mad to cite an archaic piece of Legislation.. He then adopted an interrogative demeanor and asked me where I was from, as if that was relevant. Some gardai have an attitude problem towards law abiding members of the public.

This forum was very insightful into the day to day operations of the gardai. Lay people sometimes dehumanise gardai. I dont think it's an easy job and some of the things they deal with must be very traumatic.

I was watching a few old police dramas lately on tv such as Prime Suspect. What struck me was the police brutality. At least this has ended in the British Isles as far as I know.

One of the key benefits of a garda is it being permanent and pensionable

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Itainire

Guys this might be a stupid question.. I was reading that people have to stay in the Garda college Monday to Friday. What about those l who don't have a place to go at the weekend? Like people who literally don't have family in Ireland or friends.. are they allowed to stay 24h 7days a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Is getting into the Guards still as hard as ever.... in my day it was ‘pull’. We all wanted ‘the Bank’ or the Guards. I’m talking the 80’s here - I remember filing up the application and getting measured for height at the Station and being 1/2 inch too short!!

Or... have 5 All Ireland medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Itainire wrote: »
    Guys this might be a stupid question.. I was reading that people have to stay in the Garda college Monday to Friday. What about those l who don't have a place to go at the weekend? Like people who literally don't have family in Ireland or friends.. are they allowed to stay 24h 7days a week?

You can stay there 24/7, but there's no heating or facilities open in the college over the weekend, other than your room and showers. I'm not sure if, once you're moved to external accomodation you can stay there over weekends too. Probably depends on if it's owner occupied too.

Masala wrote: »
    Is getting into the Guards still as hard as ever.... in my day it was ‘pull’. We all wanted ‘the Bank’ or the Guards. I’m talking the 80’s here - I remember filing up the application and getting measured for height at the Station and being 1/2 inch too short!!

Or... have 5 All Ireland medals.

Its still a lengthy and challening process, (12-18 months +) but the height requirement was abolished.

• Advertisement

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I have great respect for the Gardaí but it takes one bad experience to change this. Many are very professional some are not. Some I experienced had a tendency to blame the victim. The other day I pointed out to gardai on the beat a clear breach of the Covid Regulations by a business operating when it should not, I mentioned quite politely the Health Act, 1947 the Garda's response was to repeat the Act with a confused expression on his face as if he had never heard of it and I was mad to cite an archaic piece of Legislation.. He then adopted an interrogative demeanor and asked me where I was from, as if that was relevant. Some gardai have an attitude problem towards law abiding members of the public.

This forum was very insightful into the day to day operations of the gardai. Lay people sometimes dehumanise gardai. I dont think it's an easy job and some of the things they deal with must be very traumatic.

I was watching a few old police dramas lately on tv such as Prime Suspect. What struck me was the police brutality. At least this has ended in the British Isles as far as I know.

One of the key benefits of a garda is it being permanent and pensionable

Nothing the police like more than some randomer quoting obscure legislation to them.
    Did you tell him you pay his wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Nothing the police like more than some randomer quoting obscure legislation to them.
    Did you tell him you pay his wages?

"Obscure Legislation". Hardly so when many of the Covid Statutory Instruments are from the aforementioned Health Act, 1947 derived thereunder.

" randomer" was informing an uninformed Garda. And yes I do pay their wages as it happens as do many others but that's neither here nor there and I certainly wouldnt say that to a Garda.

Why should a Garda ignore a quite legitimate complaint of wrongdoing when that's exactly what happened in this instance.

I happen to know first hand the effects of floating if Covid Laws have on the health service and the resultant deaths.
    I expect you are biased in favour of Gardai.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Dohvolle wrote: »
    A classmate had the job of searching a field for the head of a motorcyclist who had been involved in a head on collision. It was still in its helmet. The car driver was jailed (overtaking on a continuous white line).
    Being spat at, scratched, kicked and bitten is not the preserve of Gardai who are female. Those engaged in violence will always pick on those they consider weaker. Nothing to do with gender, it's just primal instinct taking over. They will attack those they feel they will succeed against. The female of the species, by nature, is not as good at being as physically intimidating as the male. Otherwise physically they are just as good at the job and during self defence training I frequently sparred with females. Most I worked with were as good, if not better than males in the same role.
    There is no such thing as a "banner" any more. The term was phased out in the late 1980s/early 90s. All "banners" are by now either retired, or at A/Comm level.

She uses it herself as that’s what she was when she started out ! I certainly wouldn’t use it to any other female member . She often told of a case in a local court where “ Garda X” was called in court and that the judge presumed that The Garda in question wasn’t in court, because the judge knew a male Garda of the same name .

Did I hear somewhere that some Garda spokesperson corrected an interviewer saying “ We no longer have Ban-ghardaí, we have members capable of giving birth ?” Ironic when you think about the case of pregnancy that nearly saw a female Garda lose her place that came out relatively recently .

All off topic , so I won’t digress anymore , I promise .

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    "Obscure Legislation". Hardly so when many of the Covid Statutory Instruments are from the aforementioned Health Act, 1947 derived thereunder.

" randomer" was informing an uninformed Garda. And yes I do pay their wages as it happens as do many others but that's neither here nor there and I certainly wouldnt say that to a Garda.

Why should a Garda ignore a quite legitimate complaint of wrongdoing when that's exactly what happened in this instance.

I happen to know first hand the effects of floating if Covid Laws have on the health service and the resultant deaths.
    I expect you are biased in favour of Gardai.

Read the room buddy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod:

Back on topic please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 a chuisle

If you are musical, the Garda Band is an option. Saw them play at a children’s ceremony. They were terrific with the children. Lots of audience participation. They made it a day to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

That is an emergency pattern for the Covid situation.

I believe the standard, to which they are likely to return, is 6 (10 hour shifts) on, 4 days off.

6 x 10 hour shifts in two weeks? Only 30 hours per week? Where do I sign up? :)

a chuisle wrote: »
    If you are musical, the Garda Band is an option. Saw them play at a children’s ceremony. They were terrific with the children. Lots of audience participation. They made it a day to remember.

They are not recruited the same way.

Gorteen wrote: »
    6 x 10 hour shifts in two weeks? Only 30 hours per week? Where do I sign up? :)

The following 2 weeks you do 100

That's how it equates to 40 hour week over the entire roster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

The following 2 weeks you do 100

That's how it equates to 40 hour week over the entire roster

Ok. That sounds more "normal"

Advertisement