Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is your annual sub?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just for the record, with 2 kids still in primary school and one not long in secondary school, I consider myself one of the younger people you refer to.

I would never tell anyone to drink and drive, so don't be daft.

I have to agree with @bobster & @bakerbhoy and think your comments again about (almost all - your own words) the older members of your club are pretty derogatory and probably unnecessary. As much as my relationship advice to you was possibly in poor taste, so apologies but it was meant in jest.

Again I agree with Bobster though in that older people in general (with obviously some exceptions) are no slower than young lads who are using aim point etc. In fact, I'd say most of them are probably quicker round the course as they know how to plot their way around efficiently, tend to not care as much about their scores but instead just get up and hit it. And I say that as a member of a club with a very similar demographic as Newlands (where I do know some members) and sure you will find that not all the social events are aimed at the oldies. Full disclaimer, I pretty much don't go to any social events in my own club, but that's because it's 50km away from me.

I tend to nearly always find that older people are the best to sit down with for a coffee and chat, as they usually have a life filled with a hell of a lot of great stories. Also and something we have to realise is that without these older people, there would be no clubs for us younger people to enjoy.

I don't disagree with your consensus that there is still an element of old school snobbery to golf in Ireland, but it is changing in fairness. Also, I'm more modern minded that you might think, however I do think there are lots that's that we can learn from the older generations

My initial point still stands and wasn't even aimed at the bar,

but this is what I was responding to

We've 200 of our 1900 used for the bar but its a waste, forced to use the bar when only the older members use it regularly. Younger people have no interest.

I'm not telling you where to spend your money, I was just suggesting that it doesn't take much to spend 10 or 15 minutes after a round to support your club and have a cup of tea (some of the time). I've already said that I don't always go into mine and most of the time when I do, it's probably not for long. I see it partly as a way to just show a little involvement in my club. I realise people have things to do etc, as I say I've 3 kids myself to run around after and collect and drop to classes etc. Only around Christmas, a fella I was playing with couldn't believe that I wasn't hanging round for long after because I had to go off and do the grocery shopping! 🤣

Lastly and probably a biggie

the yearly sub has gone up a few hundred euros over the last couple of years with nothing but some refurbed bunkers to show for it and there is no added value in it to anyone

You say you pay more than enough as it is but I doubt your club is charging higher subs to make profits, but rather just enough to run the club efficiently. Do you know how much it costs to refurbish bunkers? I would argue that that adds value to everyone who plays your course and is a vital investment in the maintenance of the course. Also, you do realise there are staff employed with wages to pay, and wages rates have risen quite a lot over recent years. Subs are going up everywhere, not just @ Newlands. I would suggest you probably got quite a lot for your sub increase.

€1,900 is not a lot for a club in the Dublin area, I paid just over €2k this year. Of course as a club member there is an entitlement to know where the money is going. As a member, he will be invited to the AGM and provided with a set of accounts. He can see exactly what he is getting for his money and he can ask the committee any questions he sees fit should he have any issues with how the money is being spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

It went from €2500 to €3300, when the new owners came in, just before work started, then another increase this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

Macreddin 925 Full membership

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Dublin - €800 full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

I'm guessing they're trying to drive them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I pay quite a bit more than I want to for my sub but the course is local and a real "club". My kids are older now and I have more flexibility in relation to family duties. I try to have a coffee every time I play at the weekend to support the bar. I might even have a cheeky pint the odd time.

Because a lot of members subscribe to the same way of thinking we have a vibrant club atmosphere where not everyone is a car park member. The club have recently kicked off a snooker, pool and darts competition and there has been great uptake. There will be a promotion for the rugby on Saturday where they will do a free pint with a main meal. The place will be jumping.

My point is that because us "older" members support the bar and restaurant it means that it will be there for you when you do want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its not a course i'd want to play especially without a buggy, far too hilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

yes and no, definitely drove some members out (quite a large number) but some now have asked to return after seeing the new product on offer and after a wet summer if they went to a parkland course!

The issue is now the membership number is soft capped at 400 members, and the waiting list was in the region of 100 to get in so the demand is there potentially, 20 new members in this year from the list (some are past members that left that have now to pay full whack without the 10% discount)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Pay just under 2k a year.

No bar sub. I never use the bar. Rounds are already taking 4 hours plus because every gimp seems to think 4 practice swings and mandatory use of the rangefinder is acceptable. Don’t have time to go sit around having a pint as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

We are up to 1430€, 100 bar levy, I’ve never spent my levy once, but no problem with it. 30mins there and back, often delay getting going and rounds stretching to 4.5 or 5 hours in big comps. Young family, and no relationship problems thanks, it’s just not fair to be gone for 7 or 8 hours on a weekend. 6 is well long enough. I actually find that the young lads without kids love the bar and food more than the older lads, it’s the middle group that just don’t have the time. Have enjoyed the odd pint and a meal after team comps, but often even then a lot of clubs have no food after a certain time even for teams. what I personally love is the odd club that has a casual ‘downstairs’ setup for a coffee and a bap pre or halfway around or a sit down area on the way off the course, mark the card have a coffee/pint a chat, not the back to the car to drop the clubs then back to the clubhouse and upstairs etc. I think this is the way of the future to keep the food option going, get it right beside the 18th green or the practise green or first tee, a bit of buzz going in and out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

We’ll have to agree to disagree as to what constitutes a lot of money. Your first post on this thread has you down as a member of 2 clubs, each with €1.5k+ fees…there aren’t many people who would have that luxury (of time to play enough to get value and the disposable income to pay it). IMO a lot of clubs are just increasing fees because there is an increase in demand since covid so they know they can keep increasing them (green fees are gone beyond a joke now) but there comes a point when that won’t work anymore and then they’ll be bemoaning a lack of income…again, IMO.

I never said €2K is not a lot of money. I said it’s not a lot when compared to other subs in the Dublin area.

I’m only a member of one club now. The second was a credits membership and was just for convenience as it is close to my home. Used most of credits in the clubhouse bar/restaurant with the family but they don’t have any real interest in it anymore so gave it up at end of 2022.

In your opinion clubs are just charging more because they can. But have you seen their accounts? I suspect not, but yet you make assumptions. I know my club have increased subs because they have to. IMO most other clubs would be doing the same for similar reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Jeez lads what busy lives ye must lead.

I'm 1 of the older guys some fellas don't want to sit with and have a coffee after a round. Fair enough, I don't think they would be great company anyway.

When mine were smallies there was always compromise agreed. If you were missing for 5 hrs on a golf course, good lady wife could go missing pursuing her interests (within reason) some other agreed time during the week. Same for practice etc. I don't think you have every waking hour of your week full with activities. If you do you need to relax a bit.

Bar levys are there to keep the facility open I think. I wouldn't consider it any kind of club if it wasn't there TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Same here. I play golf and the missus does archery, cycling or whatever she wants. Many of us 'elderly' people also do a lot of voluntary work at the club too ie painting, planting shrubs, collecting rubbish and helping to coach and supervise the juniors in the summer. We also took on the role of filling in divots, repairing pitchmarks on greens and collecting rubbish discarded by people who should know better. People say that the elderly slow up the play but i find that the opposite can actually be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

I played a round at pirates cove in courtown... €25 euro for the family - couldn't believe it.. Was only €18 euro back in the day.. Some courses out there have gone pricey

Advertisement